Sahara OEM Wheels on an X [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Sahara OEM Wheels on an X

SimpleMan
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi all ! New owner of 2008 Wrangler X :)....Love it! But want to get rid of the base steel wheels. Can get a set (5) of Sahara 18 inch wheel/tires from co-worker for $500. Figure it is a good first step - although a baby step.

Is this a doable swap? Will I need to get the speedometer / odometer re-calibrated? And will the alignment be good?

Thanks for your help people (now and in the future).

Ron :beer:

The Wrench
11-19-2008, 01:47 PM
What do intend to do with the Jeep, long term? No off roading, casual off roading, serious trails? My point is, you can probably get a set of Rubi take-offs for just about the same price, with a significantly "better" tire...

SDMF
11-19-2008, 01:57 PM
What do intend to do with the Jeep, long term? No off roading, casual off roading, serious trails? My point is, you can probably get a set of Rubi take-offs for just about the same price, with a significantly "better" tire...

What he said, you should be able to buy some rubicon wheels and tires for around 500, and have a much better tire.

skibum
11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Limited options for tires when you go with 18" wheels (particularly for anything offroad serious). I bought a set of Sahara 17" takeoffs and got stock rubi size BFG MTs all for under $600. BTW, all of the above just bolts up. No lift required, no alignment issues. It does affect your speedo but the dealer can flash the computer for tires up to 32".

SimpleMan
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks for the quick replies. My Jeep will mostly see pavement as it is a daily driver. But I will be taking it to the beaches of South Jersey and some trails in PA and NJ. I have played with it at a couple of construction sites.

Eventually would want a ride that is all mine - not a rock basher (don't want to be stuck in a van while repairs are made!!) but a capable go almost anywhere vehicle. Will be looking at bumpers, rails, tops (hard top now), a little lift 2-3", etc..

I have seen Rubi takeoffs but then have generally been more expensive - more so when shipping is added. That is why I am thinking about these wheels - no shipping and can have them right away. Thinking I can use and abuse the 18's and then change again - after all that is one of the fun parts of a Jeep.

Had not looked into rubber options - thanks will check this out. Again - thanks for the info - keep it coming....we newbies need it....

karnuvore
11-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I'll sell you my set for half that price.

SDMF
11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think I would pay 500 for sahara wheels and tires. I've seen people have trouble just trying to give them away, let alone getting 500 for them. I sold my rubi wheels for 500 bucks, and IIRC it was about 30 bucks each to ship. Keep your eyes out and you can get a good deal on a set.

gijoejd
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
larger tires means you will have to have your speedometer callibrated...cost around 40 bucks at dealership

SimpleMan
11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Dave - do you have a price including shipping?

karnuvore
11-20-2008, 10:00 AM
no, but I could find out. SDMF posted in this thread about $30/per to ship. That'd be $250 + $150 = $400. Save you some money and I could finally get rid of my tires. You interested? If you are, post up a zip code and I'll get an official price.

dougnpj
11-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Limited options for tires when you go with 18" wheels (particularly for anything offroad serious). I bought a set of Sahara 17" takeoffs and got stock rubi size BFG MTs all for under $600. BTW, all of the above just bolts up. No lift required, no alignment issues. It does affect your speedo but the dealer can flash the computer for tires up to 32".

What he said. My dealer thru the 18" in for me as a selling point. tires cost more.:shaking:

rockredsahara
11-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I have 18"s on mine. The tires are alot more $ and a limited selection. Someone told me its hard to find a place to have them mounted

jtphoto JK
11-20-2008, 06:31 PM
X2
For less then what it cost for 5 35" tires for the 18" stock rims, I got 5 tires + 16" alloy rims installed, balanced and shipped. Decent 18" tires are very pricey.

SimpleMan
11-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Yes I am interested as everything that has been said about the availability and cost of 18" tires is true. My zip is 19014 - Aston, PA

This site is getting addictive.....

Big A
11-21-2008, 10:12 AM

heh... You have seen nothing yet.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

SimpleMan
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
heh... You have seen nothing yet.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

beginning to see that - it may be a losing battle but with my two sons on my side what can the wife do to stop the disease??? Nothing!

2008 Wrangler X White 2dr hardtop

bare bones and looking to change

karnuvore
11-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Yes I am interested as everything that has been said about the availability and cost of 18" tires is true. My zip is 19014 - Aston, PA

Im going wheeling this weekend. I'll find out cost on Tuesday.

SimpleMan
11-21-2008, 11:56 AM
thanks Dave, no rush - have fun