Only 3 bearing cups on my stub axle..Cool right? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Only 3 bearing cups on my stub axle..Cool right?

BIGROCZ
01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
So I walked out of the RV/Boat show and happened to look at my driver side stub axle, an I see one shaft of the U-Joint staring at me with no cup on it. A closer look and I see the needles all over the lower C. FUCK!~ I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Good thing it didn't frag on the trip home from Pleasanton.

Eugene
01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Good catch! Loosing the joint is a sure fire way of losing the shaft. If you have a Rubicon I have my stock shafts if you need to borrow one.

09rubicon
01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Werent we just discussing tacking those in......damn that sucks. Anyways tack the new ones. Until you can get them tacked, peen the ears in. Hit the ears with a small hard object (a counter punch works well) right at the cap edge to create a small dimpled lip. It actually works rather well until you can get the new ones tacked in.

BIGROCZ
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Good catch! Loosing the joint is a sure fire way of losing the shaft. If you have a Rubicon I have my stock shafts if you need to borrow one.

Thanks bro..but I have an X. I'm gonna slam in some new ones tomorrow and just tack them in. Wasn't how I planned my Sunday but could be worse, I could be buying new shafts.

BIGROCZ
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Those F'n 12pt bolts that retain the stub axle are pieces of shit! Anybody have an idea on where i can pick a couple up? Couldn't find them at the local auto parts store

THECHAD
01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
talking about the unit bearing bolts? 3 on back side?... I have a few if thats what they are you need

Stuka
01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
You wont find them with the 12 point heads, but you should be able to find some that are the same diameter and thread count.

BIGROCZ
01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
talking about the unit bearing bolts? 3 on back side?... I have a few if thats what they are you need

Those are the ones..Totally trashed two of them. I'm going to try and find some Grade 8 bolts withe same threads and legnth. Problem is, the factory ones have a shoulder on them near the head of the bold. I wasn't able to find any right away but I will check a couple more places on Friday...If not....I might hit u up?

Stuka
01-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Those are the ones..Totally trashed two of them. I'm going to try and find some Grade 8 bolts withe same threads and legnth. Problem is, the factory ones have a shoulder on them near the head of the bold. I wasn't able to find any right away but I will check a couple more places on Friday...If not....I might hit u up?

Oh thats right, they do have the shoulder. Which is needed to center the hub properly. Finding some that have the same shoulder will be tough.

09rubicon
01-17-2011, 08:00 PM

Go to Fastenal. I have had good luck getting anything I need from them. Remeber the bolt is metric but you should be able to get the same 12pnt metric/thread ( think it is an M12x1.5, but I am not sure) in a black phosphate coating for about $3.

THECHAD
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
If you just give me your address i'll send you a few. RCV gave me all new ones, so I should have between 3-6 in my tool bag..

BIGROCZ
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
If you just give me your address i'll send you a few. RCV gave me all new ones, so I should have between 3-6 in my tool bag..

Paul Cheever
456 Linnell Ave.
San Leandro, CA. 94578

THANKS BRO!

THECHAD
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
will ship tomorrow

THECHAD
01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
3 bolts sent UPS today

BIGROCZ
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
3 bolts sent UPS today

right on

Eugene
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Note to self....when shipping stuff don't pack the address in the box.

THECHAD
01-21-2011, 11:25 PM
LOL

BIGROCZ
01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Chad you rock...Got the bolts yesterday and trhew them in and know I have a spare for the trail box...Got a :beer: for ya when we hook at for a run. Oh yeah, and a :beer::beer::beer: when the springs hit!