Shuttle Launch [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Shuttle Launch

karnuvore
11-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Anyone driving over to watch it? We're gonna drive to Cocoa Beach and stand on the beach and watch it. Night launches are awesome - especially up close.

7:55 pm launch time - tonite. They're about to stop sending them up for a decade. I have a 4 year old that is about to FREAK OUT about going and watching a space ship!

StubEXrube
11-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Maybe play some "appropriate" music for him as well during the launch. I'm thinking Ziggy Stardust/ Spiders from Mars. :smokin:

Wonder if my buddy in Orange City will be able to view it?

karnuvore
11-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe play some "appropriate" music for him as well during the launch. I'm thinking Ziggy Stardust/ Spiders from Mars. :smokin:

Wonder if my buddy in Orange City will be able to view it?

I can view it from my house and I am half way across the state from the Cape. About a 1.5 hour ride.

Grant211
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll probably be watching it from my backyard. I live close enough to see it from my house. (20 miles)

wanderingtrail
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
One of these years I'll get over to watch it. It's a little bit of a drive from the other corner of the state.

Ron

rooster
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Im headed that way now. I have tickets. Im like a kid before Christmas!! lol. Well that and just got the new Teraflex 7" shocks on. Im 46" to the center bottom of the fenders and thats on 35's. whoohoo!! Be back on after the launch!

FL JEEPN
11-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I can see it just fine from my back yard...I see it about 5 seconds after launch.

FL JEEPN
11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Im headed that way now. I have tickets. Im like a kid before Christmas!! lol. Well that and just got the new Teraflex 7" shocks on. Im 46" to the center bottom of the fenders and thats on 35's. whoohoo!! Be back on after the launch!

I want to get tickets to get up close...have good time....tell us how it goes.

Grant211
11-14-2008, 05:17 PM
have fun out there in that traffic...

it was pretty cool site thats for sure!

Holy crap thats huge. I'm at 41 inches

StubEXrube
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Been cool to have seen some pictures of the launch. :usa:

Grant211
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Been cool to have seen some pictures of the launch. :usa:

i didn't take any, but my neighbor did. If she sends them, i'll share them

HITMONEY
11-14-2008, 06:02 PM
We saw it here in Miami in the club parking lot... pretty cool.

I am not sure if the passersby were looking at the spectacular image of the shuttle in the night sky.. or the parking lot full of strippers watching it.

:laughing:

SDMF
11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
We saw it here in Miami in the club parking lot... pretty cool.

I am not sure if the passersby were looking at the spectacular image of the shuttle in the night sky.. or the parking lot full of strippers watching it.

:laughing:

Speaking of strippers, we hired a stripper for a coworker for his birthday today. Good times.

HITMONEY
11-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Speaking of strippers, we hired a stripper for a coworker for his birthday today. Good times.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

SDMF
11-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

No pics sorry, I fail. :shaking:

HITMONEY
11-14-2008, 06:38 PM
No pics sorry, I fail. :shaking:

:beer:

It's better that way anyway.. pictures = evidence evidence = conviction

SDMF
11-14-2008, 06:46 PM
:beer:

It's better that way anyway.. pictures = evidence evidence = conviction

haha. It was quite a show let me tell ya.

bfj aka tambil
11-14-2008, 06:52 PM
The shuttle launch looked great against a full moon....

Of course Hitmoney's full moon was probably better then the one I was watching!

karnuvore
11-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Looking at what time you left Jeff, did you make it to the ticketed area? Lotta traffic going into Titusville.

We stopped on the big bridge going into Port Canaveral. Had about a 150' high view of the launch. Was great. What a traffic nightmare - but what fun.

rooster
11-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Made it and just got home. What a show! That never gets old, especially the night launches. The replacment rocket for the shuttle will be even cooler though. Its supposed to be like the old Apollo rockets and generate alot more force.

StubEXrube
11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Do/ did you guys hear a "sonic boom" type of sound after the launch?

Never mind- Just saw Dave's other post about the sound, on a totally unrelated thread. Damn you're all over the place Dave. :D

karnuvore
11-14-2008, 08:12 PM
You just get a huge rumble when it's taking off. Like explosions. You get the twin sonic booms when it lands. That's pretty intense as well.

StubEXrube
11-14-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll bet your son was like "WTF Daddy?" :laughing:

Billy_Goat
11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
You just get a huge rumble when it's taking off. Like explosions. You get the twin sonic booms when it lands. That's pretty intense as well.

We got used to those double sonic booms in Lancaster. BOOM BOOM yup there's the shuttle coming in. It would rattle the whole house.
I actually got to see it land once at Edwards air force base when I was a kid. Good stuff.

rooster
11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I love the rumble during take off. The booms are pretty cool when they come home because mean they are past the danger zone of breaking up. It always a good sound to hear. Funny though when I first moved here they shuttle came home early one morning. It was about 6 or so and I thought my neighbor was shooting his shotgun. Freaked me out. lol

karnuvore
11-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Edited down the video. Piddly little camcorder doesnt come close to doing it justice:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Karnuvore/th_ShuttleLaunch.jpg (http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Karnuvore/?action=view&current=ShuttleLaunch.flv)

Steveqvs
11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Very nice. I have always wanted to see a liftoff.... Being in the midwest its a long drive to Coco beach! But I was there with my kids a few years ago. In a side note the woman on this shuttle is from our home town here in the midwest... kinda cool......

StubEXrube
11-15-2008, 12:49 PM
:beer: That was great. I know you think it could've been better, but with the soundtrack- the light from behind the trees was really cool. Very enjoyable. Some one said that that would be the last night time launch. Not sure if that's true, but too bad if so.

Jester
11-15-2008, 12:54 PM
You always have great video with great sound you missed your calling. I wish I wasn't on call I would have loved to have gone over.

StubEXrube
11-15-2008, 01:01 PM
You always have great video with great sound you missed your calling.

Hate to say- cause I know you probably appreciate the job you have Dave, But TIMES TWO on what jester said. I imagine if you were in the industry, you would have an incredible portfolio of work. I still think that diving/ son video is fantastic...especially set to the Waters music.

karnuvore
11-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Much appreciated guys. The program I edit w/ makes you look good. It's just bells n whistles. But thanks.

rooster
11-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Awesome Dave! What program do you use? I need to find a good one. I also need to find a dash mount for my camera. I want to get it before River Rock.

karnuvore
11-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Adobe Premier Elements 3.0. Tambil's son was telling me about some other program that sounded light years better. I just stick w/ this program cuz it took me long enough to learn that I dont wanna learn another one.

Grant211
11-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Awesome Dave! What program do you use? I need to find a good one. I also need to find a dash mount for my camera. I want to get it before River Rock.

no need for a dash mount, just bring your camera and i'll shoot the video and then give it to Dave to edit. LOL!!!!