Any Planned Trail Runs over Thanksgiving Week/Weekend in So Cal? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Any Planned Trail Runs over Thanksgiving Week/Weekend in So Cal?

scrogg
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I will be in Oceanside, CA. for the week of Thanksgiving (11/24 thru 12/1) and was wondering what, if any, planned trail runs might be taking place in the area that I could tag along on. Or, maybe even spark some interest in getting one or more runs scheduled/organized.

I am unfamiliar with the area/terrain so I would be at ya'lls mercy as far as any specific trail(s) would go. And I would be willing to travel a couple/three hours or so to get there if neccessary so as to open up a wider range of opportunity and/or places to go.

I need to get something going or set up so that the better half doesn't fill up our trip with non 4-wheeling activities. :D

I am open to any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance.

chromedome
11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
You should PM 100dollarman. He's the official SoCal Run organizer :laughing:

scrogg
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I think he's going to be in Vegas for the holiday. I was hoping that maybe some of the regulars that go out with him would have something planned or maybe want to do something if they were available during that time frame.

Thanks though :beer:

4x4LOYR
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm planning on being up in Big Bear over the Thanksgiving weekend (Friday through Sunday). I'd like to go wheelin'. Big Bear is a little less than 3 hours from Oceanside.

Anyone else gonna be up in the Big Bear area over the long weekend?
I have an air-compressor & Beers at my cabin after wheelin' :beer: :beer: :beer:

Ty....

scrogg
11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm planning on being up in Big Bear over the Thanksgiving weekend (Friday through Sunday). I'd like to go wheelin'. Big Bear is a little less than 3 hours from Oceanside.

Anyone else gonna be up in the Big Bear area over the long weekend?
I have an air-compressor & Beers at my cabin after wheelin' :beer: :beer: :beer:

Ty....

I may have to take ya up on that offer. Fri and/or Sat would be great for me as well. I'll keep in touch so that when the weekend gets closer we can nail down times and meeting locations if all goes well.

Thanks for the reply.

(*edit)

Do you have any info/links to the Big Bear area that you are planning on going to? So I can get an idea of what to expect.

Krunchytaco
11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Truckhaven is a good place to go for Turkey day! It's near the Salton Sea, East of Borrego Springs,about two hours from O-Side. Plenty of 4 wheelers head that way and you should be able to hook up with some good groups.
Check http://www.tds4x4.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
Home of the desert safari! Good fun! :beer:

Timmy
11-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I'll be out in Occatllio wells and truckhaven for the holliday. we will be bouncin around all over out there, It's great fun!!!!

BOXRCON
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Thinking about running John Bull and maybe Gold Mountain Friday after turkeyday.

Riverkid
11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Headed to Ballarat for the week...;)

scrogg
11-20-2008, 08:54 PM
That John Bull/Big Bear areas look pretty good. I was just watching a few youtube vidoes of some runs. Looks like it would be a alot of fun. Do they have dificulty ratings? Scale of 1 to 10 or 1 to 5? The trails here in Utah are on a 1 to 5 scale and I thought I heard somewhere that the trails in CA were a 1 to 10 scale, so that is why I ask.

jacktuttle
11-21-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm sure up for something. I'm not sure I can convince my wife to camp in Big Bear this time of year.... Plus she may want to bring along a single girl friend... If anyone is looking :D

I have to work for a couple of hours on Friday Morning. Maybe like 6 to 8 AM. I'm open for most anything after that. Who is planning on wheeling that could be met up with in mid to late morning?

scrogg
11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have, or know where to get a *.kmz file of the John Bull trail (or other trails in the area) that I can down load to google earth?

(*edit)
As an example, the rockymountainextreme website that I frequent has alot of the trails listed in this manner. It is very useful, you can get a quick description of the trail, it's difficulty rating (note these are on a 1 to 5 scale), GPS coordinates, a map, and a *.kmz file to load onto google earth.

Here is a link:

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=47546

jacktuttle
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have, or know where to get a *.kmz file of the John Bull trail (or other trails in the area) that I can down load to google earth?

(*edit)
As an example, the rockymountainextreme website that I frequent has alot of the trails listed in this manner. It is very useful, you can get a quick description of the trail, it's difficulty rating (note these are on a 1 to 5 scale), GPS coordinates, a map, and a *.kmz file to load onto google earth.

Here is a link:

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=47546

I have it saved into the saved trails on the My Gig GPS. I'm very sure if your coming down this way to run it, you can find several SO Cal members to run it with you.

4x4LOYR
11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, I am pretty sure that BOXRCON is gonna be running Gold Mountain and John Bull on Friday. I will likely run those with him as well. Gold Mtn is a moderate trail, only 2 or 3 obstacles that are of any significates. John Bull, on the other hand, is a difficult trail. If you are less than 35” tires and moderate armor, some damage may occur. They are both fun trails. Let’s get a group together and run these trails. If you take it slow and easy, not a problem.

Ty…

100dollarman
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
scrogg- we run those trails all the time- they are fun, but your jk will walk right thru with no problem. Check out billygoat thread from a couple weeks ago for pics. Billy runs JB with stock Toy on 31s.

Billy_Goat
11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
scrogg- we run those trails all the time- they are fun, but your jk will walk right thru with no problem. Check out billygoat thread from a couple weeks ago for pics. Billy runs JB with stock Toy on 31s.

Haha yeah, I'm the official trail barometer, If I can make it anybody can really.
After I read Scroggs sig I started laughing because he could take the hardest lines on all the Big Bear trails easily with all his mods. :)
If I can get some things fixed I might be up for this run too.

scrogg
11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Haha yeah, I'm the official trail barometer, If I can make it anybody can really.
After I read Scroggs sig I started laughing because he could take the hardest lines on all the Big Bear trails easily with all his mods. :)
If I can get some things fixed I might be up for this run too.

Yeah, I have seen some of the video of you going on the trails. There were a couple that it looked as though you literally just gunned it and hoped for the best, very entertaining.

JeepThing
11-22-2008, 12:16 AM
I'll be in Escondido for Thanksgiving and would love to do a run with you guys - Friday, maybe Saturday. Like scrogg, I'm unfamiliar with the area and trails down there, but would be game for some good rock crawling.

I'll just need to convince the girls in my life to make the trip from up north in the JK instead of the roomier Tahoe!

Billy_Goat
11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I have seen some of the video of you going on the trails. There were a couple that it looked as though you literally just gunned it and hoped for the best, very entertaining.

Eh, more or less. I don't want to break anything but I have to keep up my momentum because my truck doesn't flex like a Jeep does. I can't drive over boulders, I have to go around them so yeah, It looks crazy.

PUDDLZ
11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Stock 31's with a rock toy with a cooler rack on the back :beer::thefinger::thefinger:

Timmy
11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Well plans have changed and I will now be heading up to Big BEar for the weekend. I will be leaving Friday morning from San Diego to head that way (around 5 or 6).

So whos all going to be up there, and where you gona be??

JeepThing
11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm still hoping to get the JK down there, and if so, I'd be open for something on Friday or Saturday.

How far are the Big Bear trails from Escondido?

jacktuttle
11-24-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm still hoping to get the JK down there, and if so, I'd be open for something on Friday or Saturday.

How far are the Big Bear trails from Escondido?

These are directions to Fawnskin on the north side of Big Bear Lake. There is a Fire Station there with a good meeting place that is very hard to miss. Note that you should have some tire chains with you as it is expected to snow all week. There are places to fill up with gas, but expect to pay Mountain Prices. I have to work on Friday Morning until til about 8 AM. But I'm up for some wheeling after that. PM me if you want to set up something.

Total Estimated Time: 2 hours 12 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 115.32 miles

1: Start out going NORTHWEST on S ORANGE ST toward W GRAND AVE. 0.1 mi Map
2: Turn LEFT onto W VALLEY PKWY/CR-S6 S. 0.1 mi Map Avoid
3: Turn RIGHT onto N CENTRE CITY PKWY. 0.8 mi Map Avoid
4: Merge onto CA-78 W toward OCEANSIDE. 0.6 mi Map Avoid
5: Merge onto I-15 N toward RIVERSIDE. 31.4 mi Map Avoid
6: Keep RIGHT to take I-215 N toward RIVERSIDE/SAN BERNARDINO. 40.7 mi Map Avoid
7: Merge onto I-10 E toward REDLANDS. 5.4 mi Map Avoid
8: Merge onto CA-210 W toward JCT/CA-330/HIGHLAND. 4.7 mi Map Avoid
9: Merge onto CA-330 N toward MTN RESORTS. 15.5 mi Map Avoid
10: CA-330 N becomes CA-18/RIM OF THE WORLD HWY. 12.4 mi Map Avoid
11: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto CA-38/NORTH SHORE DR. 3.7 mi Map Avoid
12: Turn LEFT onto BROOKSIDE LN. 0.0 mi Map Avoid
13: Turn RIGHT to stay on BROOKSIDE LN. 0.1 mi Map Avoid
14: Turn RIGHT onto GREY BACK TRL. 0.0 mi Map Avoid
15: End at Fawnskin, CA

JeepThing
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
These are directions to Fawnskin on the north side of Big Bear Lake. There is a Fire Station there with a good meeting place that is very hard to miss. Note that you should have some tire chains with you as it is expected to snow all week. There are places to fill up with gas, but expect to pay Mountain Prices. I have to work on Friday Morning until til about 8 AM. But I'm up for some wheeling after that. PM me if you want to set up something.

Thanks for the update and directions! Any idea how much snow they are expeciting this week?

jacktuttle
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the update and directions! Any idea how much snow they are expeciting this week?

http://www.bigbearlake.net/weather/

This is where I go to find the latest info on Big Bear Weather. Keep in mind that this is at the lake level (About 6000 Feet, but most of the trails are higher up to around 8000 feet.) It can get cold! Another option is Truckhaven. That is near the Salton Sea and is a large area with a lot of varied terrain and lots of open camping. The Salton Sea is a little below sea level and will be a bit warmer with NO Snow. The Areas around it are a little above sea level. It is about 130 mile drive there for me. You would be a little closer.

scrogg
11-24-2008, 07:38 PM
We made it, I am now in Oceanside. I wanna thank Hundy for taking time out of his busy schedule and having lunch with us on our way through.

So this fire station at big bear, is this probably the best place to try to meet up? As opposed to somewhere lower and convoy up to the station? Is it close to the trail heads?

What would be a good targeting time for meeting up? Sounds like a few people might have late starts.

Would chains be necessary? I didn't bring any my self. I guess when I think of CA I don't normally think about snow.

100dollarman
11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
We made it, I am now in Oceanside. I wanna thank Hundy for taking time out of his busy schedule and having lunch with us on our way through.

So this fire station at big bear, is this probably the best place to try to meet up? As opposed to somewhere lower and convoy up to the station? Is it close to the trail heads?

What would be a good targeting time for meeting up? Sounds like a few people might have late starts.

Would chains be necessary? I didn't bring any my self. I guess when I think of CA I don't normally think about snow.

Scrogg- It was great to see you and your kids today--- I really wanted to put together a run for you while you are out here!!!:mr-t: Sorry I will be outtatown. If you want to try to hit Dumont on your way back, or get together for a run on Monday- let me know-- maybe we can hit some Calico- its right on your way home. Even if we dont run all the trails, you could get a good look at Calico- great place to wheel- you would love it.

I dont think you need to worry about chains even if it snows.

:beer::beer::beer:

jacktuttle
11-25-2008, 07:14 AM

I carry Chains as much for the police that check us going up or down the hill as for any thing else. Some will let you go with 4 wheel drive and snow tires. Others will turn you back or not let you go down the hill with out having them in the jeep. :shaking: I have sometimes wondered if they get a kick back from the chain sales.....

The fire station in Fawnskin is just an easy place to meet up. It is an open triangle area big enough for a lot of wheelers to meet up and small enough to find each other. I'm still up for this and also OK with meeting at the bottom of the hill too. I'm just not that familiar with the local area in San Berdo.

Who else wants to meet up for this run?

JeepThing
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Grrrrr

It looks like I'm out ... couldn't coordinate everything with the rest of the family (non-Jeep) plans. :mad: Maybe next time. I appreciate the info from everyone down there. Have a great run and be sure to post up picts!

If anyone is ever up north and wants to run Fordyce Creek, let me know, I'm only 30 minutes from the trailhead.

scrogg
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I got your PM. So should we try to shoot for Friday, 11/28/08, and an 11:00 am meet time at the fire station? Sounds good to me.

I should be able to use those directions you posted previously to find our way there.

Thanks.

scrogg
11-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Grrrrr

It looks like I'm out ... couldn't coordinate everything with the rest of the family (non-Jeep) plans. :mad: Maybe next time. I appreciate the info from everyone down there. Have a great run and be sure to post up picts!

If anyone is ever up north and wants to run Fordyce Creek, let me know, I'm only 30 minutes from the trailhead.
Fordyce Creek! That ones on my list to get to. How far north is it?

JeepThing
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Fordyce Creek! That ones on my list to get to. How far north is it?

It's about an hour west of Reno, NV. The trailhead is right off I-80.

jacktuttle
11-26-2008, 06:39 AM
I got your PM. So should we try to shoot for Friday, 11/28/08, and an 11:00 am meet time at the fire station? Sounds good to me.

I should be able to use those directions you posted previously to find our way there. There is a rest room of sorts there and also food near by.

Thanks.

OK. We will meet in Fawnskin at the Triangle near the fire station. at 11:00 AM on Friday the 28th. We are in an all white Rubi you can miss us.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&ie=UTF8&ll=34.269369,-116.947172&spn=0.003236,0.004807&t=h&z=18

4x4LOYR
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm going to be up in Big Bear for most of the long weekend. Myself and the family are playing the wheeling by ear. I've got the 11:00 am meeting time and meeting place (Fawnskin Fire Station) in my calendar with a reminder. Hopefully I will be able to meet up. I'm in a lifted 2-door BLACK JK "X" with a soft-top.

Ty...

PUDDLZ
11-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Watch for Boxrcon & Tycoon, they' re to be up there too.

Take lots of :beer: soda's :smokin:

scrogg
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Great, we hope to see ya.

I am in a lifted siver 4dr. Should be pretty easy to recognize us, we have a big "TeraFlex" sticker across the sides. We'll see ya'll there.

jacktuttle
11-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Great, we hope to see ya.

I am in a lifted siver 4dr. Should be pretty easy to recognize us, we have a big "TeraFlex" sticker across the sides. We'll see ya'll there.

I have a TeraFlex Sticker in the Drivers side window. But they only sent one and it's hard to read with the tinting. But it is hard to miss the White with White Hard top! I'll set the CB on Channel 4.

scrogg
11-27-2008, 01:30 PM
white top even, eh? Did you have it painted or did you get it that way?

CB to channel 4, sounds good. I'll set it there today sometime otherwise I'll probably forget.

jacktuttle
11-27-2008, 04:04 PM
white top even, eh? Did you have it painted or did you get it that way?

CB to channel 4, sounds good. I'll set it there today sometime otherwise I'll probably forget.

I had it painted. The body shop seems to have done a good job. They removed the windows, including the back window and scotch brighted the whole thing before painting. It looks factory. Also my loving wife made some insulation for the inside. The black top was just way to hot during the summer in SoCal. :D

AK
11-27-2008, 06:36 PM
See you all there...the girls are shopping so the boys are jeepin!

AK

scrogg
11-27-2008, 08:02 PM
See you all there...the girls are shopping so the boys are jeepin!

AK

That's kinda what I was thinking, the Mrs. is planning on hitting a few sales tomorrow so she won't be with us.

See ya there.

jacktuttle
11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I went in to the office and finished payroll so I don't need to go in tomorrow! :D I will be there!

MrBash
11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
one day...I will have Saturdays "off" damnit!

EDIT - and Friday's too....and hopefully it won't be the days of unemployment...

scrogg
11-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Just made it in from the run. Had a great time. That John Bull trail was great. I could see me returning to run it again. Thanks to all of you who showed up for the run, and to those that just happen to show up.

And another thanks to you jacktuttle, for helping us get out of there.

We'll have to put a trip report together and post some pics from the day.

SDMF
11-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Just made it in from the run. Had a great time. That John Bull trail was great. I could see me returning to run it again. Thanks to all of you who showed up for the run, and to those that just happen to show up.

And another thanks to you jacktuttle, for helping us get out of there.

We'll have to put a trip report together and post some pics from the day.

Was there snow?

scrogg
11-28-2008, 10:17 PM
There wasn't any snow on the trail just a few spots off to the sides of the trail that any still existed. Although the trail was kind of wet but not bad. Just enough to make the tougher obstacles that much harder.

jacktuttle
11-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I got up this morning a looked out to find a puddle of oil under the front diff. :bawling: But we found a heavy duty diff cover @ 4 wheel parts in Irvine. :) Also the side marker light is broken out. I'm not sure how that happened. :shaking: Must have hit something I did not notice. Still all and all it was a very fun trip. :D One diff cover and a couple qts of Royal Purple and the jeep is trail worthy again.

AK
11-29-2008, 06:48 PM
All in all a real good time! But I did jinx myself on John Bull, last obsticle and SNAP:shaking:. Well it is at the dealer, we will see on Monday!

AK

jacktuttle
11-29-2008, 07:49 PM
All in all a real good time! But I did jinx myself on John Bull, last obstacle and SNAP:shaking:. Well it is at the dealer, we will see on Monday!

AK

What dealer did you take it to? Were you able to drive it there or did you trailer it? Let me know if they warranty it or not.

Thanks for leading the trail! That was a great help. I'm not that familiar with the trails in that area. Our Range Rover was still at stock ride height when we traded it for the Jeep. Needless to say, we did not try John Bill in the Range Rover! :D This jeep opens all sorts of new adventures up to us. :D

Timmy
11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Got back late last night. I broke me spider gears in the front D-30 and now I need a set to get me going until I can get it upgraded. If anyone has some let me know

Thanks

jacktuttle
11-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Got back late last night. I broke me spider gears in the front D-30 and now I need a set to get me going until I can get it upgraded. If anyone has some let me know

Thanks

Did any one else have carnage from the run? Wow 3 out of 5 jeeps.... :shaking: And that is just on drive lines..... :bawling:

Timmy
11-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I was not running with the group, I met some other people at 9 am and could not get to the firestaion at 11. I did see you guys, I was going up as you were coming down John Bull. I was in the silver Jk in the back of that group.

jacktuttle
11-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I was not running with the group, I met some other people at 9 am and could not get to the firestaion at 11. I did see you guys, I was going up as you were coming down John Bull. I was in the silver Jk in the back of that group.

My son has a Dana 30 in his XJ. He seems to have lots of spare parts and just installed and ARB locker. He may have a Dana 30 pumpkin laying around.... He is working in New York this week, but will be home on Friday night. If you have not found some gears by then send me a PM.

4x4LOYR
11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, just made it home after the long Thanksgiving weekend. It was great wheeling with you guys on Friday: jacktuttle, scrogg, AK, and AK's friend (Brad, in the Cherokee) + the two who just showed up! Also, thanks for the two "tugs" to get me out of those couple little trouble spots. Beleive it or not, I have actually made it through both of those trails without assitance in the past. I'm gonna blame it on the slick conditions.

Along with a lot of other things I forgot, the camera was one of them. So, no photos from me. Maybe Brad's (Cherokee) friend will post the short video of my JK almost going over on the one obstacle where the Cherokee was pulling me out!

As it turns out, I had to be towed part way home, from Fallbrook to Escondido. As I mentioned to a few of you, I am having a really bad "wobble" (dare I say "death wobble"). On the way home, it was happening between 40 - 50 mph; needless to say, very interesting ride home. Anyhow, if I got passed that mph zone, things were OK. The Steering Dampener was the only thing that was saving me. Well, just coming out of Temecula, the JK started wobbling really bad at about 65 mph!!! So we finally pulled over, and it turns out that the Steering Dampener nut had worked itself off, and the Steering Dampener itself was dangling from the passenger-side mount. Had it towed the rest of the way.

Thanks

I've got a D-30 just sitting in my side yard. The driver side U-joint is blown out, but everything in the diff is in tact. It has 4:10 gears, if that matters.

Ty....

jacktuttle
11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, just made it home after the long Thanksgiving weekend. It was great wheeling with you guys on Friday: jacktuttle, scrogg, AK, and AK's friend (Brad, in the Cherokee) + the two who just showed up! Also, thanks for the two "tugs" to get me out of those couple little trouble spots. Beleive it or not, I have actually made it through both of those trails without assitance in the past. I'm gonna blame it on the slick conditions.

Along with a lot of other things I forgot, the camera was one of them. So, no photos from me. Maybe Brad's (Cherokee) friend will post the short video of my JK almost going over on the one obstacle where the Cherokee was pulling me out!

As it turns out, I had to be towed part way home, from Fallbrook to Escondido. As I mentioned to a few of you, I am having a really bad "wobble" (dare I say "death wobble"). On the way home, it was happening between 40 - 50 mph; needless to say, very interesting ride home. Anyhow, if I got passed that mph zone, things were OK. The Steering Dampener was the only thing that was saving me. Well, just coming out of Temecula, the JK started wobbling really bad at about 65 mph!!! So we finally pulled over, and it turns out that the Steering Dampener nut had worked itself off, and the Steering Dampener itself was dangling from the passenger-side mount. Had it towed the rest of the way.

I've got a D-30 just sitting in my side yard. The driver side U-joint is blown out, but everything in the diff is in tact. It has 4:10 gears, if that matters.

Ty....

Wow! It seems like almost every one had some troubles after that run! I'm glad you got home safe anyway! Someplace Friday I managed to sprain my left wrist a bit. Still hurting some. Not a big deal, but it made trying to replace the front diff cover a real pain. It's still seeping a little, but it may have to stay that way until my wrist feels better!

4x4LOYR
11-30-2008, 04:00 PM
I am not sure what happened at the end of the trail. We got split up into two different groups. I was not sure where everyone was going to "air up" and such, but I ended up heading towards Van Dussen Canyon Road (I think the group I was with stayed on Holcomb Valley Road) as it allowed me to travel on the dirt roads the maximum amount (back towards Sugarloaf) because I wasn't going to "air up" until I got home and used my compressor at the cabin. I'm glad that everyone found their way out to the main roads.

Let's do it again real soon.

Ty...

jacktuttle
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I am not sure what happened at the end of the trail. We got split up into two different groups. I was not sure where everyone was going to "air up" and such, but I ended up heading towards Van Dussen Canyon Road (I think the group I was with stayed on Holcomb Valley Road) as it allowed me to travel on the dirt roads the maximum amount (back towards Sugarloaf) because I wasn't going to "air up" until I got home and used my compressor at the cabin. I'm glad that everyone found their way out to the main roads.

Let's do it again real soon.

Ty...

We just kept trying different trails until we hit Rt.38 It was well east of HV. But it got us out and home. We aired back up at the Fawnskin Fire Station.

PUDDLZ
11-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks

Ask 4x4 loyr in San Diego area, he just upgraded to a dana 44 front, he might have some parts, :smokin:

Timmy
11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Ask 4x4 loyr in San Diego area, he just upgraded to a dana 44 front, he might have some parts, :smokin:

word--just sent a PM
:beer:

scrogg
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Wow! I guess I was pretty lucky this trip, I appear to have survived unscathed as far as carnage went.

I just got back home myself, all the way back home here in little 'ol WJ, UT. We left Oceanside the day after our runs at Gold Mtn. (was this the first trail?) and John Bull. Made it to Kanab, UT. at 4 am Sunday morn.

After about a 5 hour nap we got up, had breakfast, unloaded all our stuff from the Jeep and went out and hit Hog Canyon in the afternoon. We made it out to the pinnacles no prob, but then ventured past them a little and went through a pretty good sized sand gully and couldn't get up the otherside. We ended up having to winch up it :shaking: . As it turned out, it was a dead end just atop the side that we winched up. So we turned around and after a bit of deliberation, we decided that at worst case scenario we would just have to winch up again to get back across the gully. Luckily, we were able to drive up the opposite side without issue. I am guessing because it was facing north that it was still pretty wet as opposed to the south facing side that we had to winch up.

All that aside, I figured this would be as good as a place as any to post pics from the afore mentioned John Bull run. So here is what I got:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03635.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03636.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03637.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03638.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03639.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03640.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03641.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03642.jpg

scrogg
11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Some more pics:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03643.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03644.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03645.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03646.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03647.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03648.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03649.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03650.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC03651.jpg

I forgot to charge the camera battery the night before so it died on me at the tougher obstacle on John Bull. These pics are all I got. Please share any that you guys may have taken from the run as well.

Thanks for a good time and I look forward to more of these.

Chris Hansen
12-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey....that kinda looks like Ty's Jeep...but with mud on it! :thefinger:

hehe....wish I could've met up with some of you, but the only carnage this trip was my back (oh yeah, and my rear brakes and spare tire). Stupid mall crawling!

4x4LOYR
12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey....that kinda looks like Ty's Jeep...but with mud on it! :thefinger:

Well, of course thar's mud on that thar' Jeep -- we was playin' in the mountains. (Obviously though, the JK did get a thorough hosing at the coin-op car wash the morning after. Can't let that stuff sit on there too long; I do have a certain reputation to uphold.)

The JK is in the shop, and they have found 3 loose ball-joints on the "slightly" used axle I just installed (could have been either already existing, caused by my wobble, or a combination of both). Also, there was some play in the tie-rod joint. Plus, my wheels were a bit out of whack. They are going to test drive it with and without the steering stabilizer to hopefully resolve my wobble problem.

Ty...

PUDDLZ
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, of course thar's mud on that thar' Jeep -- we was playin' in the mountains. (Obviously though, the JK did get a thorough hosing at the coin-op car wash the morning after. Can't let that stuff sit on there too long; I do have a certain reputation to uphold.)

The JK is in the shop, and they have found 3 loose ball-joints on the "slightly" used axle I just installed (could have been either already existing, caused by my wobble, or a combination of both). Also, there was some play in the tie-rod joint. Plus, my wheels were a bit out of whack. They are going to test drive it with and without the steering stabilizer to hopefully resolve my wobble problem.

Ty...

I think he wants to be like MR CLEAN :smokin:

AK
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Well Redlands Jeep came through. Jeep is fixed UNDER WARRANTY! Sorry to hear about all the other problems.

Whoever broke the spider gears, did u try to get it done under waranty?

I will talk to Brad and see if I can get his pics and video.

We gotta do this again soon, maybee a trip to scrogg's neck of the woods.

AK

scrogg
12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Well Redlands Jeep came through. Jeep is fixed UNDER WARRANTY!

Nice! That was real good of 'em to do that for ya.

I'd like to see those. And anyone else's pics/video for that matter. :grinpimp:

I'd be all over that. If any of ya are ever in the Salt Lake valley let me know. Maybe we can get something squeezed in somewhere.
:beer:

jacktuttle
12-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Well Redlands Jeep came through. Jeep is fixed UNDER WARRANTY! Sorry to hear about all the other problems.

Whoever broke the spider gears, did u try to get it done under waranty?

AK

That is GREAT!!!!!!!! I'm glad they took care of you. :D

kerryp
12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Looks like y'all had a blast....Scrogg, I may be in the desolate part of Utah next week on business.

We are going to be in Delta, UT. From what I can tell on google earth, there ain't nuttin in that area. Do you know anything about that area....doubt we'll have time to do much but work, but thought I would ask someone from UT if there was anything of interest other than what looks like flat, desolate, cold moon scape....

scrogg
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Looks like y'all had a blast....Scrogg, I may be in the desolate part of Utah next week on business.

We are going to be in Delta, UT. From what I can tell on google earth, there ain't nuttin in that area. Do you know anything about that area....doubt we'll have time to do much but work, but thought I would ask someone from UT if there was anything of interest other than what looks like flat, desolate, cold moon scape....

Delta has a few good trails that I know of, Chainsaw (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548398) being one of them. Delta also has a man made Jeep playground that you can go play on. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the local 4x4 club in that area, they should be able to point ya towards a variety of trails in that area.

(*edit)
Here is a link and contact info:

Notch Peak Desert Dogs
Delta, Utah
Judy Killey
435-864-4910
contact_us@notchpeakdesertdogs.com
Notch Peak Desert Dogs (http://www.notchpeakdesertdogs.com/)

(**edit)
also, what days ya gonna be here? I'll see if I can be available. Delta is a little over 2 hours south/southwest of me so I would have to plan for trip there.

kerryp
12-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Wish I was able to bring my Jeep. Looks like I will be in a Chevy Trailblazer rental :bawling:, so prolly won't be doing too many trails :D but thanks for the info,...

Since I will be there for work, I likely won't be able to do much other than that, it was just wishful thinking on my part.... I will likley be there the 8th - 12th..

scrogg
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Does anybody else that went on this run have any pics/video that they can post or link to?

I know I seen a few others with cameras :D

jacktuttle
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Does anybody else that went on this run have any pics/video that they can post or link to?

I know I seen a few others with cameras :D

I don't know if my wife has processed the pictures she took yet, but they go up on www.jackandmatea.com when she does.

jacktuttle
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I know I'm a little behind on this. But here are the videos my wife took on the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LRVXXhatc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=373GFkvtIHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugaJpgKHqdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdOTNlmV7I

scrogg
12-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Cool. Thanks for the vids.

Listening to the kids talk in that last one at the 1:36 mark is priceless.

StubEXrube
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe "not the goodest driver in the world", but some great videos and beautiful scenery. :)

4x4LOYR
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
What is up with that? That youngest son of mine is FIRED! That's the last wheelin' trip he gets to go on. What the heck does he mean, "not the goodest driver in the world"? At least the older one was trying to stick up for me!

(referring to the last video by jacktuttle, about minute 1:36)

Ty...

PUDDLZ
12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Nice PHOTO SHOP picture job of 4x4LOYR's trip, for a minute there I almost thought I saw him wheeling, at least that's what the youngest son TEXTED me. in his I.M. :grinpimp::thefinger::thefinger:

jacktuttle
12-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Nice PHOTO SHOP picture job of 4x4LOYR's trip, for a minute there I almost thought I saw him wheeling, at least that's what the youngest son TEXTED me. in his I.M. :grinpimp::thefinger::thefinger:

Your just being mean now! Take and extra toy to the toy drive on Saturday as your punishment! Do you think he photo-shopped the dents to his bumpers too? :smokin:

PUDDLZ
12-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Your just being mean now! Take and extra toy to the toy drive on Saturday as your punishment! Do you think he photo-shopped the dents to his bumpers too? :smokin:

Allright, extra TOY for meaness.:bawling:

Lensman
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
What is up with that? That youngest son of mine is FIRED! That's the last wheelin' trip he gets to go on. What the heck does he mean, "not the goodest driver in the world"? At least the older one was trying to stick up for me!

(referring to the last video by jacktuttle, about minute 1:36)

Ty...

Ok Ty waddidja break this time????????????????????? :thefinger:;) I thought your kids would be used to you not bein the goodest driver by now. LOL. Just seems like a good excuse to get out and practice more. I guess I will have to bring an xtra toy too!!! Kids say the funniest stuff.

4x4LOYR
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Shoot. I'm planning on bring 4 or 5 toys with the amount of swag that Greg has put together.

Just to let you all know, the youngest one (Trace - Mr. Mohawk-boy) has been grounded since his "funny" little comment was caught on film. That will teach him to talk smack about his old man.

Ty...

Chris Hansen
12-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Shoot. I'm planning on bring 4 or 5 toys with the amount of swag that Greg has put together.

Just to let you all know, the youngest one (Trace - Mr. Mohawk-boy) has been grounded since his "funny" little comment was caught on film. That will teach him to talk smack about his old man.

Ty...

I'm gonna teach your kid about the 1st Amendment. :bounce:

4x4LOYR
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna teach your kid about the 1st Amendment. :bounce:

There ain't no First Amendment right in my house. Nor does the little smart-mouth have a Fifth or Sixth, either.

Ty...

jacktuttle
12-11-2008, 02:17 PM
There ain't no First Amendment Ty...

Double negative. They cancel each other out..... :shaking:

4x4LOYR
12-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Double negative. They cancel each other out..... :shaking:

Geez, you got me. And you would think that with a Bachelors of Arts degree in ENGLISH I would know better.

Ty....

jacktuttle
12-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Geez, you got me. And you would think that with a Bachelors of Arts degree in ENGLISH I would know better.

Ty....

I got my degree from SOHK. :smokin:

4x4LOYR
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I got my degree from SOHK. :smokin:

There's also the extremely expensive l a w degree from USD; but, like you, it's the Masters degree that I've just about received from SOHK that I'm most proud of.

(Because lord only knows what in the world you can do with an English degree.)

Ty...

PUDDLZ
12-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Damn white collar boyz with black rides.:thefinger::beer:;):D

Chris Hansen
12-11-2008, 05:17 PM
There's also the extremely expensive l a w degree from USD; but, like you, it's the Masters degree that I've just about received from SOHK that I'm most proud of.

(Because lord only knows what in the world you can do with an English degree.)

Ty...

Hey....I've done plenty with my English degree!!! :thefinger:

4x4LOYR
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey....I've done plenty with my English degree!!! :thefinger:

Really? I got mine because: (1) I suck at math; and, (2) my 8th & 9th grade teachers flunked me in English, and recommended Trade School for me. I thought, "I'll show them, I'll get an English degree!" Oh well.

Of course there was/is reason number (3), the ol' "I'm gonna write the next great American novel." I'm still working on that opening phrase . . .

Ty...

jacktuttle
12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Damn white collar boyz with black rides.:thefinger::beer:;):D

Hey! My Jeep is white with a white top! :D

jacktuttle
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Really? I got mine because: (1) I suck at math; and, (2) my 8th & 9th grade teachers flunked me in English, and recommended Trade School for me. I thought, "I'll show them, I'll get an English degree!" Oh well.

Of course there was/is reason number (3), the ol' "I'm gonna write the next great American novel." I'm still working on that opening phrase . . .

Ty...

How about "Best uses for double negatives" :laughing: