Any Nor Cal pees have your Amateur Radio License? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Any Nor Cal pees have your Amateur Radio License?

Sludge Puppy
01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone up here run Tech or General License? Anyone actually use it when wheeling up here?

Forgot to say, I will be testing Jan 22 if anyone wants to go get their license. Is $30 and lasts from 8-5

Eugene
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
KF6UIO. I am a Tech with plans to upgrade to General when my son goes for Tech. I have used it a few times but only a few people I run with have a ticket. I need to get a dash mount this spring because the handy is tough to operate and drive. But I do love it more than a CB.

Sludge Puppy
01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
You keep a radio in the jeep? I keep thinking about putting a system in mine but have not seen any one else running up here! Used to be great to be in LA and yap with the boys at the hammers

Eugene
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Won't necessarily keep it in the Jeep, but have a removable mobile installed. You get more power, and you can yak with people all over the place. Went to do the Mojave Rd last year with a buddy who has an ICOM moble, and he was talking with people all over CA and NV. Said it made the long drive interesting.

Sludge Puppy
01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I was thinking with cuts crew how some of them couldnt find the others with the CB if they ran on 10 band they would have been able to actually talk to them. Plus like you mentioned there is always someone on the air wanting to yap :)

cruzcode
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I need to learn more about these Bacon Radios. I do not like not knowing about shit.

Someone spill it.

RC

Eugene
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Go here http://www.arrl.org/ . This should help some.

HOGGSTATUS
01-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I was thinking with cuts crew how some of them couldnt find the others with the CB if they ran on 10 band they would have been able to actually talk to them. Plus like you mentioned there is always someone on the air wanting to yap :)

Well our case should have gone differently in all reality....like leaving at the same time, waiting for the person behind you, stuff like that! However I knew leaving the "meetup spot" the ones staying weren't coming with us! I'm not mad or anything.....so don't take that wrong.:grinpimp: :smokin:

HOGGSTATUS
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
By the way.....love the title!!! PEES....:laughing2::laughing2:Yes I know what you mean but it's way funner to make fun of you!! :thefinger:

Sludge Puppy
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
ha, nor cal pees! oops

Sludge Puppy
01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Eugene, you should upgrade to General on the 22nd, you will spend 8 hours studying up then take the test. 45 minute study, 15 minute break from 9-4 plus lunch from 1130-1.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

R8R ROK
01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Eugene, you should upgrade to General on the 22nd, you will spend 8 hours studying up then take the test. 45 minute study, 15 minute break from 9-4 plus lunch from 1130-1.

I am thinking about it, the only issue is my son has a soccer game that day and I hate to miss it.

Do they do it later in the year??

Family-jk
01-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I've used a sideband for years as a trucker, but really found no use for it on a local level. I haven't found to many Pees who use it around here but it is Pretty cool talking with someone from another state though. My radio is way to damn big to install in the jeep.

Family-jk
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I need to learn more about these Bacon Radios. I do not like not knowing about shit.

Someone spill it.

RC

Hmmmmmm Interesting!!!!

Eugene
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm interested. Do you have any more details? I here they are changing the questions soon.

Sludge Puppy
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.baears.com/index.php?option=com_seminar&Itemid=59

here is some more information for you pees. There is another date in April. You can always find a local club to get a sponsor and learn at your pace. This just makes it easier as you cram in one day to be able to pass the test. The process is basically to go over the test questions to get them in your head so you will recognize the right answer on the test. Having some experience with Electric and knowing a little about waves is helpful so they make sense.

The Tech questions are good until July 2014

Sludge Puppy
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Marisa and I are both signed up for this day. She will be working on her tech and I will be pushing through to General Class. There are 36 spots left, fyi

cruzcode
01-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Must all pees that want to learn/test, already have/own a bacon box? Or can you take the course/test without it???

Please advise.

RC

Eugene
01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
RC, ownerhip of a 'bacon box' is not necessary to obtain a liscense. In fact it is usually get the liscense then get the radio.

binarypie
01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I just don't know how much I'd actually use it.

HOGGSTATUS
01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I just don't know how much I'd actually use it.

Again why!! You can't carry it while snowboarding....:laughing2::laughing2:

I'm having a ton of fun talking shit....BlueBerry!!

Sludge Puppy
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Rick, like he mentioned most, probably 99% learn and take the test then buy the radios as it is illegal to use the Amateur radio without a license. I have friends that got their license then years later got the radio. It is a nice thing to know how to use as when emergencies hit and you do not have power or cell towers, you can still use this.

When you know how to use the repeaters, you guys can be on the rubicon and I can talk to you from the city. Pretty cool when you think about it, Can you hear me now :) YEP

marinespence
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
tempting.... but im LAZY!:D

JeeperDude
01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
KJ6DMD.
I sure wish more pees were using them because CB's just SUCK!!
There really is no comparison. One can talk across the entire Rubicon, call in the marines if needed (i.e. 911), or talk to buddies before they leave their house (i.e. bring replacement parts to fix that broken junk).

Sure its a plug to drum up interest that is only matched by a hate-hate relationship with my CB.:thefinger:

marinespence
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
KJ6DMD.
I sure wish more pees were using them because CB's just SUCK!!
There really is no comparison. One can talk across the entire Rubicon, call in the marines if needed (i.e. 911), or talk to buddies before they leave their house (i.e. bring replacement parts to fix that broken junk).

Sure its a plug to drum up interest that is only matched by a hate-hate relationship with my CB.:thefinger:

well how hard is this test? and how much does it cost to get my jeep hooked up?

Sludge Puppy
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Spence, the tech test is not that bad to get past. Only 35 questions, and need 27 to pass, 74%. Only lke 250 questions in the test bank. The way that this class goes is they spend the day locking in the right answers to make it easy to pass the test. Granted you will no learn the material as much but will know the basics and can get your foot in the door.

Asking how much to get outfitted is like asking how much do i need to put into the jeep to wheel it. You can spend $150 or up to as much as you want to sink into it.

Nice thing is that you need a license to operate it so keeps all the riff raff off of the air, and you have HUGE distances that you can talk instead of a mile at a time.

chevyjeep
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
KI6PZY
Repeater systems are great. I can talk to the rubicon from Elk Grove or to the Bay Area.

Sludge Puppy
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Was talking to one of the guys at Ham Radio outlet tonight about the jeepers running Ham. He said the leader of Friends of the Rubicon is a huge advocate and gets groups together. Good to see we have a few of us on the board. I just picked up my General class book tonight, I have a lot of studying to do by the 23rd!

So which one of you slackers is in on the fun?

cruzcode
01-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Was talking to one of the guys at Ham Radio outlet tonight about the jeepers running Ham. He said the leader of Friends of the Rubicon is a huge advocate and gets groups together. Good to see we have a few of us on the board. I just picked up my General class book tonight, I have a lot of studying to do by the 23rd!

So which one of you slackers is in on the fun?

No he didn't. Whatever. Stop lying.

RC

SweetCJ7
01-13-2011, 09:25 AM

KF6QDE- This might help some of you communicate with the non-ticketed crowd, depending on what their running.

Channel/Frequency/Description:

1 462.5625 MHz GMRS/FRS
2 462.5875 MHz GMRS/FRS
3 462.6125 MHz GMRS/FRS
4 462.6375 MHz GMRS/FRS
5 462.6625 MHz GMRS/FRS
6 462.6875 MHz GMRS/FRS
7 462.7125 MHz GMRS/FRS
8 467.5625 MHz FRS
9 467.5875 MHz FRS
10 467.6125 MHz FRS
11 467.6375 MHz FRS
12 467.6625 MHz FRS
13 467.6875 MHz FRS
14 467.7125 MHz FRS
15 462.5500 MHz GMRS
16 462.5750 MHz GMRS
17 462.6000 MHz GMRS
18 462.6250 MHz GMRS
19 462.6500 MHz GMRS
20 462.6750 MHz GMRS
21 462.7000 MHz GMRS
22 462.7250 MHz GMRS

SweetCJ7
01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
KI6PZY
Repeater systems are great. I can talk to the rubicon from Elk Grove or to the Bay Area.

Two years ago on the Jambo I was able to auto-patch my girlfriend at home, who was fighting cancer. No flaming, she was good at the time and I had to be there for work (<<<< that's her on the left). We even donated to the new repeater tower. All the peeps did a great job up there on that.

Sludge Puppy
01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Nice CJ! It is INSANE, how much the repeaters cost for setup and to run.

Anyone run a rig full time in your jeep? I was just lookin at the IO 7000, GORGEOUS but $ Deciding what I want to run in the jeep and if i want to go 10m or 2m

DiscoBayJoe
01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
K6JOE - I have an IC-7000 mounted in the jeep. The main unit is inside where the Glove Box used to be and the head is mounted to the smittybuilt G.E.A.R console inside a bag. I have it wired thru a LockPick to the MYGIG so I can see the display on the dash and hear it thru the speakers. I have a post from a few years ago on jeepforum somewhere that details it all.

Here are a couple photos. The main unit in my "electronics locker":

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/1862551902_7bf8b2111d.jpg

The Head Unit before I had G.E.A.R. Console:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2250/1862353118_d27fe75986.jpg

The orignal two antennas (one for HF, one for 2M/440):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2737989820_46e7209911.jpg

The jeep now has bigger tires and smaller antennas :)

Sludge Puppy
01-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Sweet Setup Joe. What are you running for antennae's now? Is the 7000 worth the $?

DiscoBayJoe
01-17-2011, 05:30 AM
I wanted to try out HF and the Video-Out integraton was intriguing. In the end ive never been able to make HF really useful and it's been the world's most expensive 2M radio. If I had to do it over again, i'd get a Yaesu FTM-350AR or FTM-10R. For Jeep stuff 2M is the way to go. APRS was a neat trick (being able to transmit your location) 10 years ago. I can do that on my iPhone now, so it's not nearly the feature it used to be - which would make me lean to the 10R and it's water resistant faceplate. My friends have picked up the FT1900 and its a good choice for an entry radio. After having the IC-7000, I think Yaesu menus are easier to learn than ICOM.

I still have the outbacker antenna on a quick disconnect that I keep inside, vecro'd to the rollbar, but not "up". I use a diamond 7400 now which is the shorter version of the one in the pics. It's a great dual-band antenna.

cruzcode
01-17-2011, 06:42 AM
I wanted to try out HF and the Video-Out integraton was intriguing. In the end ive never been able to make HF really useful and it's been the world's most expensive 2M radio. If I had to do it over again, i'd get a Yaesu FTM-350AR or FTM-10R. For Jeep stuff 2M is the way to go. APRS was a neat trick (being able to transmit your location) 10 years ago. I can do that on my iPhone now, so it's not nearly the feature it used to be - which would make me lean to the 10R and it's water resistant faceplate. My friends have picked up the FT1900 and its a good choice for an entry radio. After having the IC-7000, I think Yaesu menus are easier to learn than ICOM.

I still have the outbacker antenna on a quick disconnect that I keep inside, vecro'd to the rollbar, but not "up". I use a diamond 7400 now which is the shorter version of the one in the pics. It's a great dual-band antenna.

Wow. Several things came out of me reading this post:

1) An even newer respect for DiscoBayJoe
2) Fighting the response of, "You're using a lot of big words that I don't understand, so I'm going to go ahead and take that as a sign of disrespect."
3) I didn't realize that I needed to work at NASA in space communications, to learn how to operate a HAM radio (aka Bacon Box)
4) Now I understand how my friends felt, when I used to throw around terms and phrases like: fuel atomization and torque multiplication. (Although in self-defense, I have never said that one needs to buy a BFX-G-Niner Series XA-4000 w/ the detachable ED retina scanner and UV filtration module.)

:D :D :D

RC

Eugene
01-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Ah, the beauty of shop talk. We all use it. My buddies an electrician and when he and his friend started talking 'shop' I just stood there with a smile and just nodded. I might get 10% of what they were talking about. Then one day I was talking 'shop' with another buddy and my electrician friend just smiled and nodded. It happens. One thing about HAM radio is you can get as deep as you want. You can just use it as a glorified CB all the way up to contests and world communications. It's like owning a Jeep. I'm going to sign up for the later test as the 22nd one is my wife and daughters B-day weekend. Sign up with me, take the test and then we can all talk in private.

Sludge Puppy
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
There is another one I think in February so you dont have to wait till April, but it is in South bay somewhere. Sunnyvale I think.

Eugene
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Do you have a link for that? February should work.

Sludge Puppy
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Here you go Brian:
EARN YOUR RADIO LICENSE IN ONE DAY!
Sunday, February 13, 2011
8:45AM SHARP! - 3:00PM

Jewish Community Center of San Francisco
3200 California Street at Presidio Avenue
There will be a General cram for Techs same place & time.

See hamcrams.com for parking info. Lunch available in lobby.

Bring 2 IDs (one with picture), a couple of blue ink pens and
$20 cash for Technician study materials, tips, and test OR
$40 cash for General study materials, lecture, and test OR
$14 cash for testing only (Extra, Morse code exams available too)

8:45AM SHARP Check-in for study. RSVP pls. Drop-ins OK.
If you want test only (no preparation onsite) come at 2PM.
8:50 Beginners' tips
9:00 Self-study starts, General cram lecture
2:00 Exams begin
3:00 Last tests start

No advance preparation needed for beginners, we do it all in 6 hours. General exam class begins 9:00AM (if you are already licensed or have already thoroughly mastered the Technician exam material).

Questions? hamcrams.com
Next test date April 17, 2011

Sludge Puppy
01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Well successful day, Marisa passed her Technician exam, I passed my General and am waiting until Feb 8 to complete my extra. I did find a vanity call sign available N0CJ, thought that would be funny as my license plate ;)

So for those worried of it being to hard, Marisa knew nothing about anything and passed the test after 6 hours of study today at the session. Who is next?

Oh and a kick ass new toy I was playing with after my test. Was using one of the guys Iphone and can us IP to link to a repeater and call anywhere in the world. Pretty bad ass. So calling world wide for free ;) Also you can connect your ham if it has the right options to the internet and run your handheld and connect to the internet from anywhere :) Cool perk

AvnxScout
01-25-2011, 12:14 PM
This is on my to do list before summer gets here. Is there any places in Sacramento Area doing this?

Sludge Puppy
01-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Seems Stockton is your closest. You can find a local club in your area as well and they can administer the test as long as they have the 3 VE's.

The Sherriffs department has a club in Sacramento. Might be a good place to make some friends :)

Here is Sacramento Club
http://www.w6ak.org/

I would check in with one of the clubs to see when they are doing testing. If there is not a cram session, I recommend hamtestonline.com. Is $20 for the tech, you can run thru it in 8 hours or so and have it pretty well down then go take the exam locally.

Link to find exam sessions.
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Edit, just found this. Looks like they just ran a Ham cram out there so contact him about the next one
http://www.arrl.org/Groups/view/sacramento-valley

Hope this helps get you started.

AvnxScout
01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Seems Stockton is your closest. You can find a local club in your area as well and they can administer the test as long as they have the 3 VE's.

The Sherriffs department has a club in Sacramento. Might be a good place to make some friends :)

Here is Sacramento Club
http://www.w6ak.org/

I would check in with one of the clubs to see when they are doing testing. If there is not a cram session, I recommend hamtestonline.com. Is $20 for the tech, you can run thru it in 8 hours or so and have it pretty well down then go take the exam locally.

Link to find exam sessions.
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Edit, just found this. Looks like they just ran a Ham cram out there so contact him about the next one
http://www.arrl.org/Groups/view/sacramento-valley

Hope this helps get you started.

Thanks for the info!

Sludge Puppy
01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Calls Finally came in

My New call is KJ6KME, Marisa is KJ6MIS, once I finish my next test for Extra I will be going with a Class A call probably.

Sludge Puppy
07-24-2011, 08:44 PM
The next session will be held in Redwood City, CA for BAERS to earn your Tech Ticket in one day.

Amateur Radio Study Session and Test
September 24, 2011

Oracle Conference Center
350 Oracle Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065

AvnxScout
07-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Having more people usibg HAM during JKation woulda been great, we were spread out pretty far on the trail and it woulda been a lot easier to contact each group when some were at Buck Island and the other group was at Rubicon Springs.

KJ6OIT

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

Sludge Puppy
07-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Having more people usibg HAM during JKation woulda been great, we were spread out pretty far on the trail and it woulda been a lot easier to contact each group when some were at Buck Island and the other group was at Rubicon Springs.

KJ6OIT

This is what I have been trying to explain to people, but most think the CB works fine. It does in small groups with open area but once you are spread out over a mile or 2, in the woods, good luck.

I was on the Tahoe repeater from my house in Oakland on Tuesday. Makes life great when you have no cell service. Plus with the right radio, you can have the internet in BFE ;)

Congrats on getting your paper :) Which way did you decide to take your test? KJ6MIS

AvnxScout
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I was able to contact the Sutter repeater from Rubicon Springs and talked to a friend in Yuba City. I took the study class way and took test same day, super easy and well worth having for whatever reason

Sludge Puppy
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Just found out another ham cram is on august 13th in Novato. Need to preregister it is 9 till 3

Www.k6bw.org for details