Check engine light??? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Check engine light???

MossMan
10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
About a week ago my check engine light came on out of the blue. I hadn't done anything to the Jeep. No changes, no mods, not even a recent oil change. At first I thought maybe that's it but I knew that it doesn't have a oil life meter. It seemed to be running fine so I didn't worry much about it and figured I'd take it to the shop after getting the interior detailed (didn't want to drag it in with remnants of mud on the inside :shaking: ). Then a couple days later it says "gascap" in the readout. Then that goes away quickly. I had checked the gas cap and it was on snug. Then this morning I got in to come to work and the light is gone. ??? I didn't drive it at all yesterday, maybe it just needed a rest? Beats me? Anybody else see this happen?

MichaelW
10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I read somewhere....

Where someone had the same code, "gascap". And it turned out to be a sealing O-ring somewhere in the fuel system.

I'll see if I can figure out where I saw it.

paragon
10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Go to an auto parts store or a buddy and get them to read the code for you with a code reader. It's still stored in the memory even though the MIL is off. On some codes it will continue to check to see if the malfunction is present and if not after X number of ignition cycles it will clear the turn the MIL off.

On the gas cap, it's part of the EVAP system and if you recently filled up and didn't put the gas cap on just right, it might not have sealed. Taking off the gas cap and re-installing it might cure it, or just tightening it might do it. Something else that causes pressure loss or whatever in the EVAP system might cause it to throw the same code also.

Likely your code is associated with this but you never know until you get it checked. It could be telling you something else was out of parameters... in any case it's good to check it and clear it if it's of no value any more.

MossMan
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Figures. I post this up and the light goes away. :D You're saying I should still get it checked though?

MichaelW
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
The code should still be stored so I would stop by and ask for a complimentary code read. :)

That way you might be able to head the next CE light up, off at the pass. :bounce: