JK in the family - need a gift idea [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK in the family - need a gift idea

sponge
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey all,

I am a long time Jeep owner (CJ-7 offroad only currently) and I gave my Dad the Jeep bug. He picked up a 08 JK, 2-door, Metallic Green, Dark Khaki Tops, w/Sahara trim.

He told me it would be a year before we could take it wheeling...but within the first hour of ownership he had it 4-low playing in his woods. I totally know where I get it now! It has to be close to a record of showroom to the woods.

Anyway are there any creature feature things I should get for him? The new JP has a few good things in it but wanted to come to the resource and get some feedback on basic upgrades he should make that every JK owner should have.

Thanks for your help!

Gib
10-22-2007, 06:32 AM
For some minor mid-west wheeling he won't need much. Maybe some better tires to get traction in the mud. Other than that just kinda feel it out. I don't think he will "need" to do rock rails, skids, bumpers, etc.. It all depends on how far he wants to push it. I'd wait and see how much he really takes it off-road, and how crazy he gets when off-road, before spending a lot of $$$ on stuff.

sponge
10-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Completely agree that is the plan, I was looking for ideas on what little mods or add-ons others have bought that are must do's.

Remove this, buy this part it'll help with this, Mod this to do this you know the free mods and sub $100 little parts that make it nice.

BTW he sent me some pics and this is the first dark green w/a dark khaki I have seen and it looks great!

OnlyInMyJeep
10-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Some doors off mirrors (DIY style works and looks better than most bought ones), maybe a Safari top if he is into doors off and top down for summer however the softtop will do but then a softtop storage bag for when it is down is a must (I know not everyone is into this but most guys get bit with the bug once they do it), a good fire extinguisher and mount (I never drive a vehicle onroad much less offroad without one), tow strap, as well as a good winch and accessories (I still need these) are all some of my favorite additions. Anything else (and the winch can fall here but I like one if I go offroad) is a bit more how you use it specific. BTW a stubby ratchet, torx bits (to fit the wrench) especially t-40 and t-50, and a small case/bag to keep them in for the jeep are a top item as well.

MichaelW
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I like the tools idea.

First Aid kit?, CB radio?

Welcome to the forum.

gcg
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
The heavy duty rubber floor liners are nice. Husky makes some nice ones. Tire gauge and/or deflators might also be handy.