I must be blind. Need help Nor-Cal [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: I must be blind. Need help Nor-Cal

Family-jk
12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Okay, I'm going flipping nuts on this. I have the 2007 torque specificiation chart/list and for the life of me I can not find the damn upper and lower ball joint torque settings. am I blind or is it called something other than upper or lower ball joints.

Does anyone know off hand the torque settings for the upper and lower ball joints? Thanks

rubirobv
12-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty sure it's RFT and put the cotter pin in. That's what I do and my mechanic tech buddy does the same. Maybe drive it a little and recheck. I don't know of any torque specs either.

Family-jk
12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm about with ya. The only thing I have found is on the Dynatrac Prosteer ball joints that states the Lower ball joint is torqued to 105 ft lbs and the Upper ball joint to 70 ft lbs. Not sure if it would be the same as stock. Either way it's got to be in the ball park. :confused:

StubEXrube
12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Moog specifies 75 lb/ft of torque for theirs.

I personally go with 90 lb/ft. I wouldn't go much over 90 lb/ft.

I would have found this thread earlier- but it was in the NorCal section. (???)

cruzcode
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Okay, I'm going flipping nuts on this. I have the 2007 torque specificiation chart/list and for the life of me I can not find the damn upper and lower ball joint torque settings. am I blind or is it called something other than upper or lower ball joints.

Does anyone know off hand the torque settings for the upper and lower ball joints? Thanks

I have it. It was full listing of every torque spec for every bolt/nut on our JK's. It was another post, you may be able to search and find it.

I'm getting my flat fixed, so if you dont find it, when I get home I can send it.

RC

Family-jk
12-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I have it. It was full listing of every torque spec for every bolt/nut on our JK's. It was another post, you may be able to search and find it.

I'm getting my flat fixed, so if you dont find it, when I get home I can send it.

RC

Moog specifies 75 lb/ft of torque for theirs.

I personally go with 90 lb/ft. I wouldn't go much over 90 lb/ft.

I would have found this thread earlier- but it was in the NorCal section. (???)

I probably have the same listing as you do on the torque specs. but for some reason it does not show the ball joints. Unless on the specs list they call it something else. Amazing how I can find the torque spec for the damn rear view miror but can't find the ball joints that keep your wheels running down the road.

Yep, I aslo think going over 90 is pushing it.

Eugene
12-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Don't sweat. While helping RC with his I couldn't find it either. It's a castle nut and I don't believe that there is a 'proper' torque. I'd do the same as I do when setting bearing preload. Tighten it till its snug, and to the nearest slot you can put the cotter pin in without backing the nut off much.

Family-jk
12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Don't sweat. While helping RC with his I couldn't find it either. It's a castle nut and I don't believe that there is a 'proper' torque. I'd do the same as I do when setting bearing preload. Tighten it till its snug, and to the nearest slot you can put the cotter pin in without backing the nut off much.

I agree, I've looked everywhere with not much success. I went 80 ft lbs on the bottom and 70 ft lbs on top. Lines up good and tight with not to much stress. I was under there yesterday and found my passenger side lower ball joint nut completely loose with the cotter pin intact. Not sure how a nut get's that loose with the cotter pin intact, but It's fixed.

Thanks guys for all your input. :beer:

cruzcode
12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I agree, I've looked everywhere with not much success. I went 80 ft lbs on the bottom and 70 ft lbs on top. Lines up good and tight with not to much stress. I was under there yesterday and found my passenger side lower ball joint nut completely loose with the cotter pin intact. Not sure how a nut get's that loose with the cotter pin intact, but It's fixed.

Thanks guys for all your input. :beer:

I'm sorry that I'm just getting back with you, but it has been a hectic day. I'm attaching the JK Torque Specs that I got off of the board here. I do not remember who posted them, or who should get the credit for them, however.

I hope this helps in the future.

RC

Family-jk
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry that I'm just getting back with you, but it has been a hectic day. I'm attaching the JK Torque Specs that I got off of the board here. I do not remember who posted them, or who should get the credit for them, however.

I hope this helps in the future.

RC

Thanks for your help and the Torque Specs.

cruzcode
12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your help and the Torque Specs.

You bet. But I just re-checked after reviewing the thread again, and I do not believe the Ball Joint specs are in that one either! Sorry!

RC

Stuka
12-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I can't say for sure on JK axles, but on older D30 and D44 axles, 80ft lbs is what they are torqued too. So 75 sounds close.

Family-jk
12-12-2010, 07:43 AM
I can't say for sure on JK axles, but on older D30 and D44 axles, 80ft lbs is what they are torqued too. So 75 sounds close.

Yep I agree, I found a site that was showing an older jeep model with 80 ft lbs on bottom and 70 ft lbs on top. Amazing that there is nothing that indicates it for the JK unless you get aftermarket Joints. I have officially updated my torque settings document. Lower ball joint 80 and upper ball joint 70. :D

HOGGSTATUS
12-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Jim I hope your not going BLIND!!! Cause you would miss seeing that HOT WIFE OF YOURS!! :grinpimp:

Family-jk
12-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Jim I hope your not going BLIND!!! Cause you would miss seeing that HOT WIFE OF YOURS!! :grinpimp:

:laughing2: You made my wife blush. :blush2: She says she owes you beer for that comment. :beer:

cruzcode
12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Yep I agree, I found a site that was showing an older jeep model with 80 ft lbs on bottom and 70 ft lbs on top. Amazing that there is nothing that indicates it for the JK unless you get aftermarket Joints. I have officially updated my torque settings document. Lower ball joint 80 and upper ball joint 70. :D

I forgot to mention that regardless of your torque spec, you'll want to torque the UBJ "first", and then torque your LBJ. If you torque the lower first, the UBJ will spin while tightening, and will not properly torque.

FWIW.

RC