Cleaning fender flares [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Cleaning fender flares

johnwaynejeep
11-05-2008, 05:01 AM
when my Jeep is not covered in mud, I like it to shine like a new penny.

Does anyone know a good way to clean the stock fender flares on the X model? I can't seem to get them clean. Dirt always gets stuck in the low spots of the pitted surface.

Thanks
Robert

SDMF
11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
when my Jeep is not covered in mud, I like it to shine like a new penny.

Does anyone know a good way to clean the stock fender flares on the X model? I can't seem to get them clean. Dirt always gets stuck in the low spots of the pitted surface.

Thanks
Robert

Stiff nylon brush and simple green is what I use. Then follow it up with some 303. If not for all the scratches mine look pretty new after I clean them, haha.

toadontheroad
11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
After rubbing on some heavily sapped tree trunks I has to use the orange "GOO-off" stuff designed for carpet. It seems to have left a slight have. The directions say "not safe for ABS or PVC". Oops. Guess I'll end up replacing them someday anyway... :shaking:

SDMF
11-05-2008, 10:46 AM
After rubbing on some heavily sapped tree trunks I has to use the orange "GOO-off" stuff designed for carpet. It seems to have left a slight have. The directions say "not safe for ABS or PVC". Oops. Guess I'll end up replacing them someday anyway... :shaking:

I think I know someone who has some fenders off a rubi, I can ask him how much he wants if you are interested in replacing them.

StubEXrube
11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Alco keep in mind that there is plastic safe spray paint that will also work for a quick and easy cover up. I would just make sure that residue or haze etc...is cleaned off thoroughly befere-hand. It may not make them perfect, but it will probably be better than they are now. They sell that paint at home depot/ Lowes etc...and you could actually do gray or some other color that might look alittle different/ cool.

toadontheroad
11-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm already tkiang Jason's OEM dork banner bumper... I'd really hate to perpetuate the notion I'm somehow emotionally attached to the fenders too. Eventually all the plastic is gonna go. Just waitin for the $.
If I leave the fenders as is, it will motivate the replacement process. I'm only taking the bumper because I'm going to stub the OEM and I want a backup in case I royally screw it up. :laughing:

karnuvore
11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Stiff nylon brush and simple green is what I use. Then follow it up with some 303. If not for all the scratches mine look pretty new after I clean them, haha.

x2. Glad I didnt have to type that again.

jeeperjkjeeper
11-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I am also anal about the flares looking new and i have found two products that work very well...the first is good old 303 and the second is turtle wax ice. It is a silicone based wax that can be applied to all plastic with no residue. You wipe it on with the sponge provided and then wipe off excess with cloth. works awesome and makes cleaning the next time a breeze.:smokin::beer:

bodyguy
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
not sure if you are familiar with wurth products but they have an excellent cleaner for rubber that also works well on plastic its called rubber care and contains no silicone which can damage plastics in the long run.

jacktuttle
11-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I have put so many big gouges in the fenders on the rocks in Big Bear that I no longer worry about cleaning them..... :smokin:

JKTyrant
12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Which Simple Green do you guys use just the All Purpose Cleaner? And I'm guessing you use the 303 Aerospace Protectant? Tired of my dirty fenders and rear bumpers.:beer:

vegasjeep
12-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Which Simple Green do you guys use just the All Purpose Cleaner? And I'm guessing you use the 303 Aerospace Protectant? Tired of my dirty fenders and rear bumpers.:beer:

i use simple green all purpose cleaner. You can buy it anywhere. No need for the commercial or Automotive crap... good ole simple green all purpose is best...

i use it full strength or 50/50 i never dilute it like it says too.....

Moose512
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
not sure if you are familiar with wurth products but they have an excellent cleaner for rubber that also works well on plastic its called rubber care and contains no silicone which can damage plastics in the long run.

So I read this and I have a case of this stuff in the storeroom of my bodyshop and never thought to try it on my fenders. It worked amazing!!! Short of taking out all of the scratches, my flares look great. The mud stains and white wax residue is gone and they have that shiny black look again. I then put it on my mirrors, handles, bumpers, antenna cover and the tailgate hinge covers. Thank you Bodyguy.

i use simple green all purpose cleaner. You can buy it anywhere. No need for the commercial or Automotive crap... good ole simple green all purpose is best...

i use it full strength or 50/50 i never dilute it like it says too.....

x2. After a day in the mud (Jeep, Rhino or Quads) I spray Simple Green everywhere inside the engine, wheel wells and undercarriage. Follow it up with some WD40. Helps keep the mud off in the first place.

green08jk
01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
turtle wax ice works good too at keeping it from staining in the first place. apply a few times a year and good to go. if you want to shine up alittle more than use the liquid ice after washing all of it is good to use on the stock unpainted plastic.

BLACK JK
01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
i have heard great things about this product. pricey, but you only use a very small amount! i'll find out. ordered some last week. and the JK'S sure have alot of plastic trim!! it is not a DYE!

http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-restorer.html?gclid=CIOG2eftuZgCFRKAxgodlVl-Zw

liquidsmile
01-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I used to Detail vehicles, and if you trust me use peanut putter. The oile will pentrate the piece to get wax and dirt out.

WTF_LOL
01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I used to Detail vehicles, and if you trust me use peanut putter. The oile will pentrate the piece to get wax and dirt out.

what do you do about all the chipmunks chasing you on the trails?

airric00
01-31-2009, 09:22 PM

And watch out for Salmonella! Seem the PB producers are dirty basturds!!:shaking: