Weather for the DC/MD area in December? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Weather for the DC/MD area in December?

Bigjerm
11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Help me out Maryland/DC folks. The girlfriend and I will be driving up from Atlanta to Kensington, MD the first weekend of December. We are starting to plan things and she said she would much rather take the Liberty (2wd) than the Wrangler unless snow could happen.

So, years past, is snow a normal thing first of December up there? Obviously we will be watching the forecast, just checking though.

StubEXrube
11-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Very doubtful you will hit any (significant) snow fall that early in Dec on the east coast. That said...There has already been a northern push of air that dumped snow all over some of the north-eastern states. I would personally rather take the Unlimited JK for the extra length and 4x4 in case you do encounter some slick stuff, but thats just me. If you have a soft top- maybe the wind noise will get old pretty quick. Guessing the Liberty gets considerably better gas mileage as well. Maybe leave it totally up to her, so for any possibility you don't have to hear..."See...I TOLD you that we should have taken the other one!" :D

Hope you guys have a safe trip.

Bigjerm
11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Well the ol' Jeep has soft top and factory half doors... :D MPG wise there isnít much difference. She gets around 17 city, 22 highway and I have been getting around 16 city and 21 highway with the 6spd stock Rubicon. The Liberty does have a nicer ride, quieter and you know the whole part about being full metal doors, roof, tinted windows so your stuff doesnít walk away while you are at a rest stop.

But if there is a chance of snow Wrangler all the way. Neither one of us can afford to miss work that Monday and her 2 sisters coming with us donít need to miss anymore school.

bodybrdng
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I run a soft top in winter and had a hard top. Besides a little more wind noise, there is not that much difference. In my opinion.

Maryland weather is nuts. I can dump 10" of snow and the next day be 60F.

Always better safe then sorry. Hope you have a safe trip :beer:

Bigjerm
11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Well she is open to either vehicle but she would prefer the Liberty. I guess we will just see as it gets closer to the date. Heck I would rather take her Liberty too and save roughly 1,260 miles round trip on the Wrangler. Still have not crossed 10,000 yet on my 07.

jeepik
11-06-2008, 10:09 PM
i live 2 miles from Kensington

you will be fine, unless there is a blizzard, al the roads are always cleared and poured on with hundreds of gallons of salt immediately

so expect to be cleaning your vehicle for like 2 weeks to get the salt out :)

Bigjerm
11-10-2008, 06:07 AM
i live 2 miles from Kensington

you will be fine, unless there is a blizzard, al the roads are always cleared and poured on with hundreds of gallons of salt immediately

so expect to be cleaning your vehicle for like 2 weeks to get the salt out :)

Good to hear. I will be glad to keep the miles off the Wrangler, just hit 10k this weekend on the trails in my 07'.

Bigjerm
12-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Well the trip starts tomorrow. Looks like clear sailing other than a little rain and some really cold temps. Since there is no snow forecasted at all we are going to take the girlfriendís momís car. A new Fusion that gets around 30 mpg and the best part is it saves us miles on the Jeeps. Good thing gas is gone down too... average on the east coast is $1.86 as of 12/1/08 so I hope to make the one way trip in less than $50 (assuming we are full when we leave)