Trails Near Richmond VA? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Trails Near Richmond VA?

Rubicon07EWL
11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey,

Im new out here. Originally from Indiana where i frequented Redbird SRA. I had a tj and wheeled there alot. Im now living in VA and have an 07 Rubicon and have no place to go :(

Please let me know if you know of anywhere or if you know of any good jeep clubs.

Thanks
EWL

yoda13
12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Aren't there a couple of trails in the George Washington National Forest? It would be a bit of a drive, but what about Rausch Creek in Pennsylvania? There are probably other local places, but I wouldn't have heard of them...:beer:

dickyB
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I dunno how far it is from richmond, but its in VA and I've heard nothing but awesome stuff about the wheeling there:
http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.html

aristobrat
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
There's not too much public stuff in VA.

Shoe Creek is a Forest Service fire road out near Charlottesville. The Jeep club in Va Beach that I'm in does that run in-between going down to Uwharrie (near Charlotte, NC), or Rausch (up in PA). Again, it's just a trail ride, but when you've got the need to get off-road, and don't have a 4-day weekend for Uwharrie or Rausch, it serves its purpose.

The 2nd post in this thread gives you directions to the trail head. Oh, you'll start at the bottom of the mountain and climb to the top. There's a cool hike at the top down to Crab Tree Falls.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f160/shoe-creek-location-848736/

There's another trail near Shoe Creek called Stoney Run, but haven't done (or heard much) about that one. There are private places like Big Dogs and Crozet, but I haven't hit them yet either!

Rubicon07EWL
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I've noticed everything is posted around where i live... At this point I'd be thrilled to death just to find a gravel road ... lol.. Thanks for the help guys!

Can you tell me more about the jeep club in VA Beach?

aristobrat
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Sure, the one I was talking about is called VBJO.
www.vbjo.org

I like it a lot. No fees, no obligations. Diverse group of people and Jeeps. The people range from "never been off-road before" to those with a lot of experience. The Jeeps range from CJs up to JKs. The group is stock-friendly, but there are a lot of folks with modded Jeeps. Family-friendly, too. You'll see wives, kids and dogs at the meetups.

Create an account on their site and then check the calendar/forums. If you see an upcoming run you're interested in, just RSVP for it, and show up. In addition to the runs, they also do "meetups", which are get-togethers at a local restaurant. You're not obligated to go to any of these before going on a run. There are a lot of folks who only do the runs and skip the "meetups".

For runs, the group usually meets up in Va Beach and then drive as a group to Newport News, pick up more folks, and then drive to wherever the run is. Again, no obligation to drive with the group -- you can just meet them at the destination.

At the trail head, everyone usually airs down and does their disconnects, and then divide up into two groups. The more advanced folks go first, and the folks looking for more coaching go after them. Then everyone meets up again. Works out well. There's always enough advanced folks that stay with the second group to help them get more experience.

The members do their own runs, too. You'll see someone that's dying to get off-road on a weekend when nothing official is planned, so they'll post something up in the forum and get a small group going.

Rubicon07EWL
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM
That sounds about perfect for me.

Being new to the area i still have alot of transitions to make. So Im not looking for a club with a bunch of obligations. Im just wanting to know people that enjoy jeeping like i do! I havent been off-road yet in my jk or out here at all. Im choppin at the bit.... I have a pretty good amount of off-road experienc. Im def going to look into your group more. Thanks for all the help!

bluerubicon08
12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
You can also check out Southside Jeepers out of Chesterfield, same deal as with the Va Beach club......family friendly club with trail runs to Shoe Creek, GWNF, as well as meet and greets..........and Chesterfield is a lot closer for you. You can find them at southsidejeepers.freeforums.org.

Rock On

Dragline
12-03-2010, 03:27 AM
You can also check out Southside Jeepers out of Chesterfield, same deal as with the Va Beach club......family friendly club with trail runs to Shoe Creek, GWNF, as well as meet and greets..........and Chesterfield is a lot closer for you. You can find them at southsidejeepers.freeforums.org.

Rock On

X2 as I am also a member of SSJ, good group of folks...

WahooJeep
12-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Hey,

Im new out here. Originally from Indiana where i frequented Redbird SRA. I had a tj and wheeled there alot. Im now living in VA and have an 07 Rubicon and have no place to go :(

Please let me know if you know of anywhere or if you know of any good jeep clubs.

Thanks
EWL

www.RCPFA.com only about an hour away from you.

We are a club with our own park.

We are having an open event next weekend to benefit Toys for Tots if you want to check it out without joining.

Chris

curbsjeep
12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
It is a bit of a drive but theres also Green Ridge state park, near cumberland ( western ) Maryland.
You can hike, camp etc right on the offroad trail.

Rubicon07EWL
12-17-2010, 03:17 PM
X2 as I am also a member of SSJ, good group of folks...

Dragline,

Are you a miner? I ask because of your profile pic... i was a coal miner from Indiana, but just moved out here for a job at a power plant

PepperBrooks23
02-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have a bit of time in the area. I just thought anyone might want to know about the trails over by NAS Oceana. Since I've been wheeling out here they have been open and never had any issues wheeling there. Most folks don't tear it up, and it stays clean. I went there today just to do a drive through and see how it was after the snow and found some one has gone in and cut down multiple trees on the entrances to the hilly part. At first I thought it may have been the city closing it off, but there are still no signs posted to stay out, AND the only trails that had trees dropped across them are ones wide enough to allow vehicles through. So after checking the whole area out it looks like someone has gone in and cut down 10 trees or so and blocked off ALL of the access points into the back area EXCEPT where quads and dirt bikes can fit through. Those are NOT blocked off, and after looking around its very apparent that the trees were cut just to keep us jeepers and anyone else in a vehicle out and off of the trails that quads and dirt bikes tend to frequent... If you know the area you should go check it out! A real prick move by some selfish fucks. I've already spoke to a couple folks that want to go drop some more trees on the MAIN access points so that the turds that blocked it off it off for us are themselves blocked off... If you don't know where it is PM me and I'll give you directions