How do you water proof a jeep [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: How do you water proof a jeep

slow2run
11-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Can the members tell me what I must do, to keep a jeep moving in one or two feet of water, on the Houston Tx roads and hi ways when it rains.:bounce:

StubEXrube
11-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Can the members tell me what I must do, to keep a jeep moving in one or two feet of water, on the Houston Tx roads and hi ways when it rains.:bounce:

Por 15 or Line-X. If neither are feasible, then at least spray down the chassis w/ WD-40 from time to time.

And try not to shift much if at all through deep water, if standard.

suthernjeeper
11-02-2008, 10:56 AM
and a snorkel

StubEXrube
11-02-2008, 12:04 PM
I think I misunderstood the question- If regarding the engine and components, then sorry. Using dielectric grease around the (elec) swaybar connector is a good idea. Also good to not submerge the wheels higher up than half way, unless you have good axle tube seals. You may periodically inspect your diff fluid, and trans fluid for signs of moisture if you make deep water crossings often ("milky"/ whitish color). Unless the water is coming up past the bottom of the doors...than not much else. This is just my personal opinion, as others may have some better/ more detailed information.

TxVet82
11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Is there really that much water on the roads?

StubEXrube
11-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Is there really that much water on the roads?

With a quick downpour, some Houston streets can tun into instant rivers. Underpasses and feeder roads are especially vulnerable. Within minutes, I've seen people become stranded/ flooded out. It's crazy.

bodyguy
11-02-2008, 06:38 PM
you could always put it in a zip lock

jkdrone
11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
You don't need to do anything to handle Houston streets. (I know, I've been driving vehicles on them on for 12 years =)

Seriously, 1-2' of water won't present you any major issues, if you just go slow. Driving fast through it == a world of hurt. If you have steel doors, no real worries about it coming in them as long as you aren't sitting still. They're "sealed enough" for most driving needs. Otherwise, you know, just stay _out_ of the deep stuff - unless you want to invest in a snorkel, a fan kill switch, and constantly wet carpet. (Let's be honest, you're never going to make the tub completely waterproof. Even if ya do, the top will leak eventually =)

!c

Alter Ego
02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
The electrical connectors under the jeep are pretty well sealed from the factory. The thing I saw that needed the most attention were the axle vents. From the factory, they only extend up to the tops of the tires. I extended mine up to the top of the firewall in front and up to the top of the tub in back in the body cavity directly in front of the taillights. It's best not to vent these in the passenger department because of the stinky oil odors and they can occasionally spew oil if the axle is overfilled or gets water into it.

I couldn't find the transmission or transfer case vents. Has anyone else found them?