GPS, What do you have? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: GPS, What do you have?

JesterWiLD
11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey guys looking into getting a GPS this holiday and wondering whats good and whats not. Anyone have any advice or have one they really like?

Cheers
Will

Charbs
11-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Garmin Oregon 450. All the GPS you could ever need, AND their on sale for $100 for the next couple days at a lot of places. Here in Canada you can get them on sale at www.gpscentral.ca

oz97tj
11-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I have the Oregon 400t. Fantastic unit. Easy to use, works great. Large enough screen to see what's going on and scroll around, yet small enough to stick in your pocket while on foot.

09rubicon
11-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Navigon. Small easy to use and fully updateable and expandable.

RubiZealot
11-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Garmin GPS 60CSx on the trail.
Moto Droid on the street.

Ruskin
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Any reviews of the new model gamin came out to replace the 60? I Think it's the 62?

STUPIDFACE
11-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey guys looking into getting a GPS this Christmas and wondering whats good and whats not. Anyone have any advice or have one they really like?

Cheers
Will

Fixed it.

I have a tom tom that doesnt do shit when you leave the road. Im thinking about getting another one that does what my tom tom does, plus works on the trails.

richf
11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490. It's really nice on the road, I was looking at their website and saw that they have topo maps, but they're $130. Not sure I want to do that.

zjr
11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
For the road, Google Navigation... On my HTC Hero.
For the trails, Magellan eXplorist 210.

nootherride
11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
not to be a smart ass but....i actually like getting lost...only way to find new trails or places you have never been...phone and google maps when needed...also think theres an old garmin in glove box that never gets used..

oz97tj
11-29-2010, 12:08 AM
TomToms suck offroad. I don't know of any good maps for them either. I've had Magellan, and while it was a nice unit, it didn't have much support for map sets either. Delorme has good stuff, but they are generally more expensive units, and still not as much support as Garmin.

I also like the ability to map trails. Here in Michigan, I have to have about 4 different map books, and it still doesn't cover half of the trails out there. I go get lost all the time, but leave the tracking on. Then transfer to my computer. I end up with a nice map of all the trails after a while. Works great.

Not all GPSs will accept maps and such, but I would recommend gpsfiledepot.com. Download the Mapsource program for your computer, and then download all sorts of other maps that interest you. Easy to transfer them over if your unit accepts them.

bonecollector
11-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Droid X google maps freebee works well in nj on and off road. Can gold star places and nav place to place off road, use car dock.:smokin:unsub

zjr
11-29-2010, 07:28 AM
not to be a smart ass but....i actually like getting lost...only way to find new trails or places you have never been...phone and google maps when needed...also think theres an old garmin in glove box that never gets used..

I use the Magellan as a breadcrumb map only. ;)

I agree with you though, but seeing as I got lost in the woods once, I wanted something to get back out the next time...
:beer:

dmb123
11-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 500. It's really nice on the road and off road comes with a 100K map OK and have added a 24K map super nice it has tracking so if you are on the trails not on the map it will trace them you can save these maps in the home base software.:bounce:

Bubblegoose1
11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Garmin 7200. It does it all, and accepts SD card mapping as well.

oz97tj
11-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Droid X google maps freebee works well in nj on and off road. Can gold star places and nav place to place off road, use car dock.:smokin:unsub

You are like the third person that has mentioned droid maps. I have the X as well. For road use, they aren't bad. Even offroad, looking at the sat. images are fairly handy. The issue is none of the droid stuff works without cell coverage. There are some apps that I've tried that work, but they are nothing like a real GPS.

JeepingGreen
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
For offroading, go Lowrance. Period. I have used 3 Garmins and a Magellan. The Magellan was garbage.. The Garmin is good - as someone else said - for breadcrumbs only. That goes for both my 60 cs and the 255 (can't remember the product line name).. The 60 is fair - in terms of emergency use, but is too slow to be practically useful.. In all fairness, it's an older model - perhaps the newer ones are faster..