JK won't Start [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK won't Start

sierraexplorers
10-30-2008, 09:03 PM
I have a 2007 JK Unlimited. I am having some starting trouble. If this has been addressed by another thread I am sorry. My JK sometimes, whenever it feels like it, won't start. If I put it in neutral it fires right up. Do you think it is a neutral saftey switch or computer problem? Thank you

StubEXrube
10-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I know I am souding like a broken record here but as I have said many times- Check the TSB/ Recall list first...Unless someone else had had this same identical problem and knows for sure what is causing this. Sounds like a computer reflash, especially since it is an 07' and they had even more electrical related TSB's than the 08's.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-jk-tsb-recalls/

Not saying this problem relates to any tsb's for sure, but it's a good place to check first.

sierraexplorers
10-31-2008, 07:40 AM
I looked over the recalls and there is one where the vehicle won't start but they say you need to remove the fuse to get to start. I will contact the dealer but I want see see if anyone is having the same issue w/the same resolve. Thank you for the link.:beer:

Brian
11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
A little better description might get you a better answer....

Is it an auto?? I can assume from when you say you need to put it into nuetral, but only guessing.

When it won't start...you mean it won't crank over at all??

Are you sure the shifter is all the way in park??
Have you tried just pushing it farther into park when it won't crank??

If your safety switch was bad, it wouldn't start in nuetrel either.
Sounds more like its not adjusted properly, or something else is wrong.
The tsb that you are refering to only applies to a Jeep that the WCM locks up....that doesn't sound like your problem.

sierraexplorers
11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
It is a 2007 JK w/an auto. It won't do a full turn over it starts to turn over then stops as if there isn't enough voltage to turn it over. I am sure it is all the way in park I have pushed on it. It seems as if it has something to do w/voltage but I can't be sure. The only reason I thought of neutral safety is because I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee that the Switch couldn't be adjusted right ( with out ripping apart T-case) so occasionally it would have to be put into neutral to start. If there are anymore details I should share please let me know.

A little better description might get you a better answer....

Is it an auto?? I can assume from when you say you need to put it into neutral, but only guessing.

When it won't start...you mean it won't crank over at all??

Are you sure the shifter is all the way in park??
Have you tried just pushing it farther into park when it won't crank??

If your safety switch was bad, it wouldn't start in nuetrel either.
Sounds more like its not adjusted properly, or something else is wrong.
The tsb that you are refering to only applies to a Jeep that the WCM locks up....that doesn't sound like your problem.

Brian
11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Well, the fastest/easiest thing to look at, is the display on the cluster. Next time it won't crank over, make sure the little square is around the P on the PRNDL on the cluster. If the cluster thinks the shifter is in park, that means the tranny, and the safety switch thinks the tranny is in park, and it should crank. If the square isn;t lit up, but is in "n", or when cycled from park, to another selection, then back to park, then the cable/ and or brackets need to be adjusted.

sierraexplorers
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I will pay better attention. Thank you I will update next time it does it.:beer: