Red River New Mexico [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Red River New Mexico

Hawkeye
11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Im looking into taking a trip to Red River, NM for a summer trip. Are there areas around there where you can drive trails/backpack/camp? Ive searched around online but have been unable to come up with much. I live in the Texas Panhandle so making that drive wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for any advice.

B-TownJK
11-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Well its a little to hard to explain where some good spots are,but you will be going through Taos, so I would get in touch with Taos mountian Outfitters.They would be your best source for local info IMO. They have a web site so you could probably get the info before you go. Hope this helps

yoda13
11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
You can look here:

http://www.redrivernewmex.com/Jeep%20ATV%20Motorcycle%20info.htm

Also, you can add Greenie Peak and Midnight Meadows to that list of trails...there is enough for a couple of good days wheeling...I wheel there every summer, almost...

You can also go over to the Rio Grande Wild Rivers Recreation Area, out of Questa, as there is a trail or two over there...

This will at least get you started...:beer:

JKDoc
11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Well its a little to hard to explain where some good spots are,but you will be going through Taos, so I would get in touch with Taos mountian Outfitters.They would be your best source for local info IMO. They have a web site so you could probably get the info before you go. Hope this helps

We were in Taos a few weeks ago and their store was empty and closed. They may have moved but no sign stating such.

Get the county maps. Most of the roads I remember were all county or Forest Service Roads. Everything else is on private land in that area. Beautiful country. Make sure you stop at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial near Angel Fire. Very well done.