Died at 3500 Miles [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Died at 3500 Miles

jeepin_jay
10-29-2008, 06:26 PM
This is not what I wanted my first post here to be about...

So...

My wife was driving her 2 month old Rubicon home today in stop and go Houston traffic and it died on her. She tried to restart it, but to no avail. She called me and we strapped it out of traffic. It gave no trouble codes, did not shudder, no check engine light, it just died. It turns over, and if it catches it will run for about 30 seconds and die. Well run is a realtive term, runs like it has about two cylinders firing. Anyway, the dealer came and towed it in and will look at it in the morning....

We will see what happens.

Randy727
10-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Sorry for the bad luck. I am creeping up on 2800 miles. Would like to no what the problem was when you find out. Hopefully nothing to serious.

suthernjeeper
10-29-2008, 06:43 PM
that sucks a$$, sorry to hear it. intrested on hearing what caused it to. 4door or 2door?

jeepin_jay
10-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Its a 4 door with the auto tranny. My wife says it has been doing "weird" things when she starts it with the remote start. Things like the power windows wont work untill the jeep is shut off and restarted or the A/C compressor wont come on until it is shut off and restarted. Other than those gremlins, it has had no problems...but, she did remote start it and let it wrm up this morning because to us South Texans it was cold this morning ( 47F ).

rubirobv
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
You'll find that the electronics on the JK is loaded with gremlins. Chrysler and their vendors suck. Your JK is an awesome offroad rig though. There are people on this forum that are much more electronic and computer savy than I. If you search you will find threads that address some of the electronics issues.

StubEXrube
10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Possibly- depending on when your JK was produced-

Safety Recall G25 Reprogram TIPM- Engine Stalling
#RC-G25-07
issued 7-02-07
*JK's built through 01-22-07 (MDH 012200)

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-recalls/safety-recall-g25reprogram-tipm-%e2%80%93-engine-stallin

NE Wrangling
10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
It is possible the grounding could be poor to cause gremlins. My dealer found this to be my issue at 1000 miles when the dash went crazy.

SUPERMAN
10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Either something electrical or a bad fuel pump...

jeepin_jay
10-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Possibly- depending on when your JK was produced-

Safety Recall G25 Reprogram TIPM- Engine Stalling
#RC-G25-07
issued 7-02-07
*JK's built through 01-22-07 (MDH 012200)

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-recalls/safety-recall-g25reprogram-tipm-%e2%80%93-engine-stallin

The build date on ours is July '08...

I will talk to the dealer this morning.

NE Wrangling
10-30-2008, 07:44 AM
I recall another article where the plugs had got all smashed in and caused troubles with firing. I forget the cause however and the soultion. Might want to do some searching on Plugs on the other site and here to see if you can find. After reading you thread it looks really simular so I'd ask the dealer to pull the plugs and save for you if they are defective.

NE Wrangling
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Here is the thread I was looking for. As ususal on this site

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3429&highlight=plugs

StubEXrube
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
I figured that also could be it after seeing that thread, but it seems like a very uncommon problem, and one that may possibly relate to the supercharger. Very interested to hear what the dealership finds. FWIW- There have been some jk owners that have referred to the "stall bug". i am not sure what TSB it relates to or any of the criteria involved- models/ year(s) affected/ autos or manuals/ etc...

Keep us posted.

jeepin_jay
10-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Here is the thread I was looking for. As usual on this site

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3429&highlight=plugs

They are evidently still going through diagnostics as of 10 minutes ago.

I would say a bad fuel pump before I would say bad plugs.

My only basis for this would be that I would see that bad plugs would cause a rough running condition as the thread talked about rather than a total no start condition. It actually does act like it was run out of gas.

It is under warranty, it is a pain but not a major inconvenience, so I have the time to make them fix it and do it right. In the mean time the wife and I car pool to work, something we have been meaning to start doing anyway.

I will let y'all know as soon as I know something.

PhilD
10-30-2008, 08:37 AM
FWIW I had a fuel pump fail recently and around here in Corpus Christi we've had 100's (if not 1,000's) of vehicles have fuel pumps fail recently. It seems to effect all vehicles, new and old. My wife's had two fuel pumps fail this year on a one year old vehicle.

NE Wrangling
10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I've heard of Fuel pumps issue in all makes and model vehicles esspecially marine motors as they tend to sit more. The new gas is killing them constantly and if you let sit they tend have more issues. Since it's partially firing It's a hard one to diagnos without vehicle in hand.

I've been letting the boat, jetski, Lawnmower sit with the gas but with a special additive that is suppose to help improve the life of the gas we now have to put in the vehicles. I have been adding fuel injector cleaner every 5 k and it seems to improve the idle. I'm at 38K and started around 10k becasue it seemed to be idling worse. Even the Jeep tech said it seemed to idle a little rough but that it was normal. Idiots.

PhilD
10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I have been adding fuel injector cleaner every 5 k and it seems to improve the idle.I tried some BG44K a while back and it improved idle (although didn't do anything else). I usually use Seafoam, which seems to work pretty well at keeping everything clean.

jeepin_jay
10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
FWIW I had a fuel pump fail recently and around here in Corpus Christi we've had 100's (if not 1,000's) of vehicles have fuel pumps fail recently. It seems to effect all vehicles, new and old. My wife's had two fuel pumps fail this year on a one year old vehicle.

Ding~Ding~Ding~

We have a winner...

The dealer said it was the fuel pump that died and that they will have it back to us tomorrow.
I asked if I could have the old fuel pump and they were very hesitant. The side of me that does failure analysis as part of my job would like to take it apart and see if it was contamination, bad seals, overheated, deterioration, etc.

It is really not that big of deal to me other than they were very hesitant. That kicked my "what are you hiding" mindset into gear. It's really not worth the battle. It would be a statistical sample of one and would not necessarily prove anything.

We will pick it up tomorrow after I get off work...I will give another update then.

Chris Hansen
10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Ding~Ding~Ding~

We have a winner...

The dealer said it was the fuel pump that died and that they will have it back to us tomorrow.
I asked if I could have the old fuel pump and they were very hesitant. The side of me that does failure analysis as part of my job would like to take it apart and see if it was contamination, bad seals, overheated, deterioration, etc.

It is really not that big of deal to me other than they were very hesitant. That kicked my "what are you hiding" mindset into gear. It's really not worth the battle. It would be a statistical sample of one and would not necessarily prove anything.

We will pick it up tomorrow after I get off work...I will give another update then.

The dealer will have to hold onto the part for at least 30 days (depending on the mfg's warranty parts return policy). After that, he might be inclined to return it to you. Just make sure you see the parts tag and match the VIN when you get it back.

08JKUnlimited
10-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Agreed with Chris Hansen, I am a Honda mechanic, and if we do a repair under warranty, we HAVE to hold onto it for at least 30 days, or Honda will debit our dealer for the amount of the part plus shipping if we can't send them one. So, when we have a warranty part to return to the parts department, we get the parts guys to sign our ticket and stamp it so we can blame it on them when it's not found!! C.Y.A. is my motto (Cover Your A$$).

I'm glad that they figured out what the problem was. It did sound like a fuel pump problem, but without the Jeep in front of me, it's hard to diagnose something like that. Keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Josh

jeepin_jay
10-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Explain me this...

So the dealer called and said the jeep is ready and I don't owe them anything ...except for 5 Gallons of gas. I know that the they are technically supposed to drain the tank to replace the pump. The jeep had 3/4 tank when I dropped it off. My feeble mind thinks that is what it should have when I pick it up and it should be free of charge. Maybe someone with a little more insight can explain what the carge will be for and do it before I get there this afternoon and go on a small rant.

Am I missing something???

StubEXrube
10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Charging you for gas? That they used/ drained? Wondering what their discounted price per gallon actually costs? Sounds like a load of crap, but maybe not.

To be fair- If they did the job and all seems right so far (besides paying for the gas), then why not just be happy that you have it back, fixed under warranty, not a long turn around, etc.

I think that I would let this go for ONE reason. Staying in a "good relationship " with them may pay off in the future. When people tend to get too "self-rightous" at the dealership, that sticks in their side forever. If you believe they took care of the problem, then I would probably let this one go. Five gallons of gas isn't worth getting red faced over- IMO. Maybe they will fold, but maybe they will be more "dickish" whenever you need them again. JMO. Just happy you got your Jeep back and fixed!

Dragline
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Ding~Ding~Ding~

We have a winner...

The dealer said it was the fuel pump that died

My fuel pump went out :shaking: at 10,000 miles. Now have close to 17,000 and still going strong.:bounce:
http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2179

jeepin_jay
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree that the 5 gallons is not worth a lot of my time or theirs. The problem will be if we get there this afternoon and the 3/4 of a tank is gone and all that is in it is 5 gallons that I am being charged for. 3/4 of a tank at around $2.25 becomes a little more of an issue in principle. I understand that the fuel pump going out was not there fault but...if they dumped my 3/4 of a tank the least they can do is give me the 5 gallons. That's what you call great customer service. I didn't buy my jeep from them but since the warranty has free towing Chrysler wanted to take it to the closest dealer. This is there chance to make or break a first impression with me. I have a good relationship with my normal dealer and understand the value of that relationship. Right now I was just wondering if anyone had insight into what might be going on. I wont get worked up till I talk to them when we pick it up and actually know what is going on?

PhilD
10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I lost very little gas when they did mine. On the first attempt it was 2/3 full, and on the second attempt (to fix a snagged o-ring from the first attempt) it was full. Both times i got it back with pretty much the same amount of gas in the tank, maybe 3 or 4 gallons less the second time.

wagonofdoom
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
your complaining about 2.25?

try 4.06 for the last 6 months, and potentially for a year more.

****ign aafes

jeepin_jay
10-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I wont get worked up till I talk to them when we pick it up and actually know what is going on?

So there are reasons I give myself disclaimers like above.

So when we got there this afternoon and I asked the "service associate", "Why am I paying you for 5 gallons of gas?"

She said with out hesitation that not only did the pump fail, but the fuel sender did as well and that when they went to drop the tank they were surprised to find it empty because the gauge said it was almost full. So I said that was a fair explaination and payed and off we zipped. Me in the trusty Dodge (Which I have payed well over 4 dollars for diesel for a while and is the reason I am protective of my other pennies) and she in her Rubicon. Everything seems to work well and we are happy.

So being cynical like I am I looked at our debit card statement to see when the last time gas was put in it. I know our driving habits and it had to be very close to or actually empty. So all is well....service was decent and fairly quick and we are back on the road. Woohoo:bounce:

BeerMonkeY
11-01-2008, 04:30 AM
glad to hear it was resolved quickly, and even thought the gas charge was legit i wouldnt have worried about it anyway, my local dealer charges for tech time to find problems (which is completlely legit according to chrysler) at least they didnt do that to you