JK Dual Battery Kit - New From BENCHMARK DESIGNS! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK Dual Battery Kit - New From BENCHMARK DESIGNS!

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Benchmark Designs, Inc. is excited to announce that we are an official vendor here on JKOWNERS.COM

To kick things off, we're introducing some highly anticipated new products including our JK Dual Battery Kit. The first of it's kind, it allows you to mount dual optima type batteries under the hood in the stock location where they belong.

The kit is a 100% bolt-in installation with no fabrication whatsoever required. This means unbolt your factory setup and in under an hour bolt in dual batteries with no cutting, trimming, drilling or modification.

This is an extremely high quality component, light years ahead of other dual battery kits for previous model Jeeps.

The kit is currently in production and pricing will be made available soon. Contact us at sales@benchmark-designs.com if you're interested in beta testing the first units off the line.

Here's one of our 3-D models. Visit the website for more information. www.benchmark-designs.com

mcnaught6
10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
e-mail sent!

welcome to the forum!

venom
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
welcome!
looks like a much needed product
I've been wanting to go duals for awhile :bounce:

karnuvore
10-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Fine then..I'll ask: How much?

suthernjeeper
10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
cool, cant wait to see installed pics

HITMONEY
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
SOLD!!!!!

B1JPSTER
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Very interested, look forward to seeing the finished product.

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Fine then..I'll ask: How much?

Pricing is still being determined but will be available in the next couple weeks. I can say that price will be consistent with what dual battery kits have cost in the past for other Jeeps. This product however is much higher quality in terms of design, fit and finish.

SDMF
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Drawing looks good, interested to see a finished product.

mcnaught6
10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
were you able to make this fit without relocating the TIPM?

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-27-2008, 03:25 PM
were you able to make this fit without relocating the TIPM?

The TIPM mounts directly to the new product. You can see the 4 mounting bosses if you look closely at the the closest portion of the 3-D model. We felt this gives the customer the cleanest, most straightforward installation. Looks factory.

We're also including a mount for the factory air box or aftermarket CAI.

Moose512
10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
"The first of it's kind, it allows you to mount dual optima type batteries under the hood in the stock location where they belong.

The kit is a 100% bolt-in installation with no fabrication whatsoever required. This means unbolt your factory setup and in under an hour bolt in dual batteries with no cutting, trimming, drilling or modification."

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Brad at Overbuilt Customs has done some dual battery installs with a tray that he fabricated but it requires some "modifications" to the inner fender. Like to see how you solved the space problem.

jdrogers
10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Looks good!!!

email sent...

BBCchris
10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Looks good

Dr.Dirty
10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
ill take one if my 2 yellow tops will fit

mcnaught6
10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
The TIPM mounts directly to the new product. You can see the 4 mounting bosses if you look closely at the the closest portion of the 3-D model. We felt this gives the customer the cleanest, most straightforward installation. Looks factory.

We're also including a mount for the factory air box or aftermarket CAI.

if the batteries are mounted side-by-side (left to right as opposed to front-to-back) is there plenty of distance between the battery and the manifold that the heat won't effect the battery case?

i actually had started working on a tray, that had a bracket to relocate the TIPM to, moving it forward a couple inches, then had the batteries front-to-back in the tray. just from my measurements, it seemed that if they were side-by-side, that they would be awfully close to the manifold.

i haven't had time to mess with mine recently and pretty much gave up on it. i was hoping someone would come out with one soon so i wouldn't have to mess with my own. i'm not that good with metal work and it looked like crap:shaking:.

can't wait to get my hands on yours! it looks great!

scrogg
10-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I have submitted my email for notification of when they will be available. If I was in the position to need/want one now I would go for the beta testing, but I'm sure you have plenty of those by now.

Looking forward to some installs.

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-27-2008, 05:27 PM
if the batteries are mounted side-by-side (left to right as opposed to front-to-back) is there plenty of distance between the battery and the manifold that the heat won't effect the battery case?

The factory manifold has heatshields that are very effective. The portion of the tray closest to the manifold only gets warm to the touch.

KD6QZX
10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I would beta test this and your evap kit, what about a place to mount a small electric compressor in front of the batteries and move the sensor over.

wanderingtrail
10-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Woohoo, I like it. On my list of items.

Ron

tgrt
10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
This is great. I've been waiting for one of these for awhile and had given up hope that anyone was going to come up with one. Hopefully, it's priced well, because I've spent most of my money on other mods.

JoeBlob
10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Looks great.

I did some shopping a few weeks ago and found a dual kit for $550 (not including the batteries). I really wanted to pull the trigger but decided to wait for something less expensive. Hopefully yours is... :D

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Looks great.

I did some shopping a few weeks ago and found a dual kit for $550 (not including the batteries). I really wanted to pull the trigger but decided to wait for something less expensive. Hopefully yours is... :D

What you see above would be nowhere near $550.

mcnaught6
10-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Looks great.

where did you find this dual battery tray? no one is producing them for the JK, as of now - except for benchmark designs.

SRTpusher
10-28-2008, 10:02 AM
i want one. what would be some good uses for this besides running the stereo? basically lets you use the jeep as a power sourcefor electronics, right?

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-28-2008, 10:12 AM
i want one. what would be some good uses for this besides running the stereo? basically lets you use the jeep as a power sourcefor electronics, right?

Anyone running a winch, stereo, off-road lighting, fridge, computer, onboard welder, etc should consider running dual batteries. That way if your primary battery is drained, you have a reserve battery to restart the vehicle so your not stranded.

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-28-2008, 10:14 AM
where did you find this dual battery tray? no one is producing them for the JK, as of now - except for benchmark designs.

The link JoeBlob sent me via PM was for a Hummer H2 application manufactured by Wrangler NW.

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H2_Dual_Battery_Kit_by_NW_Wrangler_p/wnw-100-600.htm

Richie Rich
10-29-2008, 12:28 AM
ooooh, ooooh, ooooh, I'm interested:bounce: Sign me up

notarubicon
10-29-2008, 06:03 AM
I 'll take one

jdrogers
10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Looks great.

What you see above would be nowhere near $550.

We are not comparing apples to apples here...

Yes, the system he quoted is for a Hummer so the battery tray will not work in the JK... but that $550 included the tray and the battery isolator and switches, etc.

After one gets one of your new JK dual battery trays (cant' wait... :bounce:), one still needs the "stuff" to hook up two batteries. A nice system like the Hellroaring Technologies - Battery Isolator/Combiner is another $200 or so.

So hurry up and send out those beta test versions!

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
We are not comparing apples to apples here...

Yes, the system he quoted is for a Hummer so the battery tray will not work in the JK... but that $550 included the tray and the battery isolator and switches, etc.

After one gets one of your new JK dual battery trays (cant' wait... :bounce:), one still needs the "stuff" to hook up two batteries. A nice system like the Hellroaring Technologies - Battery Isolator/Combiner is another $200 or so.

So hurry up and send out those beta test versions!

You are 100% correct. The "stuff" to hook up the batteries varies greatly in function, price, quality, etc. Depending on a person's needs, they may choose to spend anywhere from $40 for a mechanical rotary switch to $100 for a basic solenoid-type isolator to a couple hundred dollars for the Hellroaring setup.

Initially we'll have just the tray system available for purchase, but eventually we're planning on offering a complete kit including all electronics and wiring.

As for the schedule for beta and full release, we'll know more by the end of the week.

Thanks for everyone's interest! Benchmark Designs is here to give the industry the products they've been asking for!

HITMONEY
10-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I will be ordering the Hellroaring Technologies isolator the same day I order this dual battery tray.

When it comes to electrical equipment I want the best quality I can get my hands on.... That can mean the difference of getting home, or spending the night in your rig... or worse, watching it burn to the ground.

mcnaught6
10-29-2008, 01:01 PM
if you don't care about isolating a battery as a back-up, then you can just wire two batteries in parallel to double the capacity.

SRTpusher
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
when can we buy this and how much?

Benchmark Designs Inc.
10-30-2008, 10:13 AM
when can we buy this and how much?

As of today, our schedule has us at 9 weeks out. First week of January. We're waiting on the last couple of pricing details from our suppliers before we can release pricing. That should come soon.

JeepThing
10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Looking forward to it!

RODICON
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
This is real nice. I wonder if it fits with a supercharger?

JKZ JK
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
I am ready for one. The first week of January... Any updates?

bfj aka tambil
01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
This is real nice. I wonder if it fits with a supercharger?

NOPE :( The Ripp SC you have to move the battery to the front of the Jeep, and there is NOT enough room to use the tray up there. Ripp does ship a tray, but it only holds one battery and NO room for two at all. Not even stacked, since the methanol injector pump is located beneath the battery.

I am ready for one. The first week of January... Any updates?

Great product. Arrived perfect, easy to follow very thorough instructions. Should take about 3 hours if your as picky as I am.

Sadly, (ok, maybe not too sad :thefinger:) I bought a Ripp supercharger while I was waiting for this. So I did NOT install it, just did a mock install to see how it would have gone. Now I have it in the garage, (waiting to be sold) along with a brand new yellow top! Instead of my Jeep!

Great product, you will love it!

wanderingtrail
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm waiting to. I'll ask the wife for forgiveness later, and not permission.

Ron

jdrogers
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
It is very nice product! I have mine about 80% installed...

I am planning on running two Odyssey PC1500 batteries in mine. Right now I have one Odyssey and the stock battery. Let me be sure to point out that the Odyssey batteries (and the stock battery) are a fair amount larger than the Optima batteries. This tray was primarily designed for the Optima batteries. So, with that point clarified, fitting two Odyssey batteries in the same space is like putting two pounds of crap in a one pound bag... :eek:

But I will succeed. At this point the tray and the two batteries are in with the stock battery hooked up. I need to rework the wiring to a couple circuits I previously added since I had their circuit breakers mounted to the old battery tray. I also need to find a home for the locker relays. Then I just need to wire up my Hellroaring Technologies BIC-95300B combiner. (And hook up the winch power through the new disconnect solenoid. Yet another thing to fit in that area.)

Here is a teaser shot:

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/dualbatteries.jpg

kelevra
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
hopefully i will be able to get one expedited to canada. gotta hate the wait at the border (duty, security). i like the canister skid plate too.:bounce:

mwigant
02-12-2009, 07:21 AM
So is this shipping yet?

bfj aka tambil
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I have it! But never installed due to the conflict with the Super Charger setup.
Willing to sell... will ship...Do shipments to Canada from person to person still have the same wait at the customs?

gcologne25
08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Sorry for the dead thread revival, but my dual battery kit should be here tomorrow (fingers crossed) and was wondering if two sears diehard platinum batteries would work with this kit?

e-jeep
08-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes

gcologne25
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes
Thanks!

burnout88
08-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Be very careful dealing with Benchmark. They have a Better Business Bureau rating of "F" and there has been a ton of complaints about them on the forum.

jester116th
10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Be very careful dealing with Benchmark. They have a Better Business Bureau rating of "F" and there has been a ton of complaints about them on the forum.

Thanks a lot! I ordered this last week, I have a Hemi and were gonna see if this is gonna work. If I don't have enough space I'm going to put the batteries in the trunk!

DARKHORSE
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks a lot! I ordered this last week, I have a Hemi and were gonna see if this is gonna work. If I don't have enough space I'm going to put the batteries in the trunk!

Good luck getting it. There is a local Oklahoma guy out here that has been waiting almost a year for his to show up.

Dr.Dirty
10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Good luck getting it. There is a local Oklahoma guy out here that has been waiting almost a year for his to show up.

I have heard of slow ship times but I have never heard of anyone waiting a year...... :shaking: If he waited a year for a part than he should be slapped....

Benchmark eventually makes good on all orders just takes a while.... You guys get pissy when the guy dont ship your stuff but then get pissy when the same guy isnt parked on JKO 24/7 Benchmark is a very small operation and last time I talked to John he is a one man show.... I love the guys that pass on information that have never had a dealing with the company mentioned....

DARKHORSE
10-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I have heard of slow ship times but I have never heard of anyone waiting a year...... :shaking: If he waited a year for a part than he should be slapped....

Benchmark eventually makes good on all orders just takes a while.... You guys get pissy when the guy dont ship your stuff but then get pissy when the same guy isnt parked on JKO 24/7 Benchmark is a very small operation and last time I talked to John he is a one man show.... I love the guys that pass on information that have never had a dealing with the company mentioned....

Well not quite that long, But your right. I have never dealt with this company, Just passing on what I know of them so far. If you talk to him, Ask him about a Midwest City Oklahoma man named Mark D that has been waiting patiently about his dual battery kit to show up for a very very long time. And you say he Eventually makes good on his orders. How long do you usually wait after buying something before you start to ask where it is? After a few months of hearing or receiving NOTHING after already having paid in full would have me pissed.

Riverkid
10-03-2011, 10:02 AM

I received mine about 50 days after ordering. It fits perfect...:beer:

Mastiff
10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
50 days? Anyone else making similar products yet?

gcologne25
10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I ordered mine July 3rd. My payment was processed the 5th of July and I haven't seen anything yet. My ass is starting to get chapped.

red_man22
10-07-2011, 10:16 PM

From what I have found he makes quality stuff. If and when you get it. I have just been trying to get ahold of him for almost 2 weeks. By phone and e-mail and by his web site. not impressed. and like everyone else trying to buy I have cash in hand

e-jeep
10-08-2011, 05:36 AM
I have a BD dual battery set-up for sale!!!

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61131

gonegrn
10-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I delt with them last summer. I sent him a few emails asking about the product and got prompt replies and he seemed to be on the up and up. So I purchased the stage 2 dual battery kit. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! I did NOT get instructions, and they are NOT available on their site. You do not want to try this install without instructions...I got lucky and a forum member scanned his and sent it to me. I must have sent 15 emails to BenchMark over 4months(the time it took to get my order) It took threatening legal action and I finally got a shipping notification with a tracking number. Oh I almost forgot to mention they did NOT send all the hardware. It was missing the support bar for the battery tray, and half of the bolts. I sent a number of emails about that to with no answer. I finally gave up and went to the local hardware store and made my own.

I PERSONALLY THINK BENCHMARK DESIGNS IS A COMPLETE JOKE AND SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ALL JEEP FORUMS.

Dr.Dirty
10-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I delt with them last summer. I sent him a few emails asking about the product and got prompt replies and he seemed to be on the up and up. So I purchased the stage 2 dual battery kit. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! I did NOT get instructions, and they are NOT available on their site. You do not want to try this install without instructions...I got lucky and a forum member scanned his and sent it to me. I must have sent 15 emails to BenchMark over 4months(the time it took to get my order) It took threatening legal action and I finally got a shipping notification with a tracking number. Oh I almost forgot to mention they did NOT send all the hardware. It was missing the support bar for the battery tray, and half of the bolts. I sent a number of emails about that to with no answer. I finally gave up and went to the local hardware store and made my own.

I PERSONALLY THINK BENCHMARK DESIGNS IS A COMPLETE JOKE AND SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ALL JEEP FORUMS.

Have you ever tried to fab something and mass produce it? This is something everyone feels is so easy but has no freaking clue how being a one man show can be.

Your still using the kit right?

gonegrn
10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I have tried and failed terribly. Thats why I chose to buy it from a vendor, who told me he had it in stock and ready to ship. He also told me it came with everything I needed......LIKE INSTRUCTIONS... I understand a piece missing but not returning any type of correspondence at all is uncalled for!!

I am a pretty understanding guy but after being ignored for months on parts a paid for and begged for from this so called company is not just bad buisness its criminal.:pissed:

Oh and I am using parts of the kit but I would never reccomend it to anyone!

Have you ever tried to fab something and mass produce it? This is something everyone feels is so easy but has no freaking clue how being a one man show can be.

Your still using the kit right?

Dr.Dirty
10-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I have tried and failed terribly. Thats why I chose to buy it from a vendor, who told me he had it in stock and ready to ship. He also told me it came with everything I needed......LIKE INSTRUCTIONS... I understand a piece missing but not returning any type of correspondence at all is uncalled for!!

I am a pretty understanding guy but after being ignored for months on parts a paid for and begged for from this so called company is not just bad buisness its criminal.:pissed:

Oh and I am using parts of the kit but I would never reccomend it to anyone!

What parts are you missing? Ill take them off mine and send them do you.......

gonegrn
10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I appreciate that, but I have made the parts and already bought the bolts that where missing from the kit.

Maybe he should hire you to handle his customer service. If they would have even answered the phone or any one of the multiple emails I sent it would have been so bad, besides the week it took to find the instructions.

What parts are you missing? Ill take them off mine and send them do you.......

Dr.Dirty
10-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I appreciate that, but I have made the parts and already bought the bolts that where missing from the kit.

Maybe he should hire you to handle his customer service. If they would have even answered the phone or any one of the multiple emails I sent it would have been so bad, besides the week it took to find the instructions.

Well the offer is there :beer:

numb_crna
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Gonegrn-

I have the BenchMark DB tray as well. I had some issues getting it as well.

B-U-T-- I am super happy with it. I even mod'ed the install. I have all the instructions and if you need any input, I'd be happy to help as well.
Dr. Dirty is far more experienced than I am, but i'll offer anyway.

Ron

gonegrn
10-11-2011, 09:57 AM
I know of a few guys that had issues can I send them you way too?

Well the offer is there :beer:

Dr.Dirty
10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I know of a few guys that had issues can I send them you way too?

Sure if i can help them, im 10000% happy with my kit so ill help in any way i can

jester116th
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Sure if i can help them, im 10000% happy with my kit so ill help in any way i can

:pissed:Sent an email from his website as I have a Hemi conversion and wanted to make sure this would fit, Talked to him on the phone, Guy sounded legit so I gave him my CC info then nothing for 9 days then sent a email and got one back saying delivery by Tuesday or Wendsday next week 11 or 12 Oct. Well guess what I missed work for nothing! I'm really pissed:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:.

I bought this kit 2 weeks ago. Well it didn't show and he has my $500. Not only that I missed a round trip so I could be home when It got here so I'm out almost $550 for missing work.

I'm sure it's a really great product and all, But i'm not waiting MONTHS for him to get around to sending me mine. If that fucker don't show up by friday I'm gonna do everything I can to get my money back.

If id've known about the other problems other members have had on this forum I would never have done buisness with him. This is fucking bullshit! You take a customers money you better have a product to ship I'm not a fuckin' bank!

Dr.Dirty
10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I talked to him sunday that I needed a Oil pan it shipped tues day and will be here friday. Id give it a few days before getting to worked up....

And hopefully the $550 you missed out on is a costly lesson learned that you never take off work to wait for UPS or Fed Ex :shaking:

jester116th
10-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I talked to him sunday that I needed a Oil pan it shipped tues day and will be here friday. Id give it a few days before getting to worked up....

And hopefully the $550 you missed out on is a costly lesson learned that you never take off work to wait for UPS or Fed Ex :shaking:

Gggrrrrrr!

No I just won't order anymore from assholes who once they have your money that they think they don't have to ship your stuff!

KenB1010
10-14-2011, 10:49 PM

I'm worked up when I read this. I ordered and paid for an oil pan 10 months ago and still waiting. I think I'll be calling him on a Sunday as well. Maybe better service on a Sunday than the other 364 day of the year.

Heavy D
10-15-2011, 10:33 AM
I've wanted to order some stuff from there but haven't because of the posts in this thread. If the issues ever get worked out, then I will gladly place an order. Until then, I wait.

Another idea would be to just have Dirty place everyone's orders and then maybe everyone can get their stuff since he is the only one that seems to be able to.

Riverkid
10-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Another idea would be to just have Dirty place everyone's orders and then maybe everyone can get their stuff since he is the only one that seems to be able to.

For a very nice guy, that Dr. D guy still gets stuff done....:bounce::):grinpimp:

jester116th
10-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Out of the blue sky I got an email the same day I filed a dispute with my CC company saying that it was shipped and even got a tracking #. Lord miracles never cease. If it shows up i'm gonna keep it but I'll never buy anything from that fucker again! Why is it so diffuclt to provide good customer service? This is for you John at Benchmark designs::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

jester116th
10-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm worked up when I read this. I ordered and paid for an oil pan 10 months ago and still waiting. I think I'll be calling him on a Sunday as well. Maybe better service on a Sunday than the other 364 day of the year.

10 MONTHS!! WTF!! I wouldn't have waited 10 days. I admire you tho..... Pateince. you got way more than me.

StetsonJK
10-16-2011, 09:02 PM

i have been looking at the battery setup but after reading this thread and the above i may have to wait til people get better service.

Ken, i hope you get this worked out, that is bullshit that you have to wait that long and someone else can get theirs in less than a week

Dr.Dirty
10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
You know in all fairness I wouldn't ship a product out to anyone who disputed a CC charge. So if you filed a dispute and you expect him to still ship your crazy IMO