Replace Dash Speakers - remove dash? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Replace Dash Speakers - remove dash?

07_Rubi
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm having trouble getting the driver side speaker out from under the dash...did anybody replace those speakers? I could use a write up or some tips.:beer:

dougnpj
10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Bump? Any answers to this ?

B1JPSTER
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Good luck, I saw a write up on doing this on another forum and it looked like a nightmare. I know you remove several screws and then pry out the dash and hold it while you unscrew the speaker box assembly. Then it requires wiggling the speaker box out. After seeing what it took I decided to sell the speakers I bought for the front. But the information is out there for you.

07_Rubi
10-29-2008, 06:26 PM
actually i got it, just remove all the dash bolt (8 i think) and pull the driver side outer corner of the dash panel towards you. eventually you can pry the speaker box out. passenger side is real easy.

BT
12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
07 Rubi: I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo and speakers. I'm told that the odd sound bar speakers (6 3/4") can be replaced with 6.5"...do you know what size the front dash holes will hold before I get to ripping stuff apart? It would be nice to be able to shop for speakers, then tear it apart and put it together at the same time. Thanks for the help!

B

homesickmarine
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
It is a nightmare. The stock ones are 5-3/4 or some crap. I replaced mine with infinity 6-1/2s. (My brother owns a Car Audio shop) He said the JK dash was a B**** to get off. After reading a little on the subject and laying on the floorboard looking at it for a while. I said screw it and took it to the shop. It took them little over 4 hours to do it, and they had to make a bracket to hold the new speakers. The ones in the roll bar were pretty easy but I had to modify the factory bracket too. Donít regret dropping that 50 bucks one bit. I sat at hooters had a few and watched the game while they did it. Good luck :beer:

Swinge86
12-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey BT, I've been told that the speakers in the dash and roll bar are 6 1/2 inch speakers. If they are 6 3/4, then you should be able to fit the smaller 6 1/2s. Just be careful because the speakers that come stock on our JKs are held in by three screws and most after market speakers use a 4 screw design, so you'll need to find a bracket.

07_Rubi
12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
07 Rubi: I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo and speakers. I'm told that the odd sound bar speakers (6 3/4") can be replaced with 6.5"...do you know what size the front dash holes will hold before I get to ripping stuff apart? It would be nice to be able to shop for speakers, then tear it apart and put it together at the same time. Thanks for the help!

B
I used JL Audio 6.5" speakers and just drilled new holes. If i'd do it again i would get either the Kicker soundbar replacement speakers from quadratec or the infinity 6022i's which come with the correct bracket for jk's i hear.

Swinge86
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
hey 07 rubi, i just bought some component speakers for the front and was going to put them in soon. You said you didn't have much trouble getting the drivers side speaker out, right? I've found all the bolts and screw that are needed to get the speaker box unhooked from the, but I wondered if you could explain a little more indepth what you did exactly to get the box out.... did you just get the dash unscrewed from the bottom and pull it out so the speaker came out from the door side, correct?

Thanks for the help and cheers :beer:

ONLYSUPER
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Are you guys upgrading from the premium sound system?

I dont have any problems with mine, its loud enough for me

Swinge86
12-16-2008, 06:15 PM
No, I'm upgrading from the stock without an infinity system. It's not the 'loudness' that bothers me (although with the doors and top off, it definitely needs some thought), but rather then sound quality. There's no depth... Sorry, I'm a real audio nut and the lack of quality drives me crazy....... :bawling:

07_Rubi
12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
hey 07 rubi, i just bought some component speakers for the front and was going to put them in soon. You said you didn't have much trouble getting the drivers side speaker out, right? I've found all the bolts and screw that are needed to get the speaker box unhooked from the, but I wondered if you could explain a little more indepth what you did exactly to get the box out.... did you just get the dash unscrewed from the bottom and pull it out so the speaker came out from the door side, correct?

Thanks for the help and cheers :beer:
yes, unscrew the dash (i think 8 or 9 screws) and the speaker-box. Then pull on the bottom of the dash and twist the speaker-box around till it comes out.

When I tried this the first time I gave up after cutting my hands and not being brave enough to pull hard enough on the dash. The second time i tried it i pulled the dash out quite a bit and the box was fairly easy to remove.

Just be sure not to do this in colder temperatures as plastic becomes a little brittle when cold.

SRTpusher
12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
i think i am gonna go to circuit city....

Swinge86
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
ah, i'm not paying someone else to do the work that I can do and don't mind blood, sweat, and tearing through myself. Thanks for you help Rubi!!!! :beer:

BLACKJK08
12-18-2008, 06:57 AM
It took me about 5 hours to get my dash apart, new speakers in, and put back toget her. I did upgrade from tthe premium system cause something can always be better. i am jaust glad its done and over w/ because it was one hellish nightmare iam not to fond of doin again

usafsammy
01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
This may be a late post, but I just got an 09 Wrangler 2 Door and am looking to upgrade the stock speakers and found this online http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm. These are custom made and it seems they will fit without any drilling in the sound bar.

asphalt assault
03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
This may be a late post, but I just got an 09 Wrangler 2 Door and am looking to upgrade the stock speakers and found this online http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm. These are custom made and it seems they will fit without any drilling in the sound bar.

K this thread is back from the dead by the looks of things.... but wow. $149 for speakers that have polyfoam surrounds.... thats crap. they may sound nice but they will not last long and response is not as quick as rubber surrounds IMO

07unlimitedx
03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
K this thread is back from the dead by the looks of things.... but wow. $149 for speakers that have polyfoam surrounds.... thats crap. they may sound nice but they will not last long and response is not as quick as rubber surrounds IMO

I agree totally... only spent that on my Alpine front speakers... all rubber surrounds.

Jaybee1669
03-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I agree totally... only spent that on my Alpine front speakers... all rubber surrounds.

FWIW - Boston Acoustics SC65 uses the 3-Tab mounting system and looks to be a drop in replacement.

jerryn
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm having trouble getting the driver side speaker out from under the dash...did anybody replace those speakers? I could use a write up or some tips.:beer:
Yes I removed the speaker. You need to pull the two lower driver's side panels,
open the door remove the side panel. You are going to see 4 screws that fasten the speaker box. remove the screws. pus your driver's seat back.. look at the speaker box you will see the speaker cable, loosen the connector and remove the cable. removing the speaker box will prove to be like playing tetris.
you may be able to move the speaker easier by removing the metal plate under the streeing column too. search the forums here, thera are a lot of good examples on how to remove the speakers. only do it if you a decent replacements or if you are gonna sound deaden the speaker box with dynamat or polyfill and at least 1hr. to kill. The driver's side speaker box is a PITA.
:beer:

miamiwrangler
11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I purchased the Boston Acoustics SR60 Component Speakers to install in my 2008 Sahara Unlimited which has the premium Infinity system in it and the in-dash navigation system.

I see from the Jeep brochure that the Infinity System has built in crossovers. Does anyone know if I can install the BA speakers without the crossovers that came with them, and just utilize/rely on the built-in existing crossovers?

THANKS!!!!!

D3BO
11-18-2014, 06:16 PM

So, I went ahead and tackled the speaker replacement in my 2008 Wrangler. I bought this baby used and the front dash speakers were blown. The roll bar speakers were OEM, so it was more than likely the rest of the speakers were OEM as well and over 6 years old. After doing a bit of research here and on Crutchfield, I took note the size of the speakers were either 5-1/4" to 6-1/2". There seems to be some debate of the actual size, so I bought the 6-1/2" size and they fit quite well without any goofy mods having to be done.
It seems as though there were some folks having problems with taking off the dash to replace the front speakers. I had a look at my Jeep and found it was quite easy to gain access to the front speakers.
Under the steering column is a small access panel that is held in place by molded plastic clips, it pops off and you will see a steel plate.
After popping that off, there is another panel that looks has though it has a handle on it, and is held in by 2 bolts/screws. Removing those and gently pulling the panel toward you, it will pop off. Again, plastic molded clips.
From there you will see another set of bolts/screws (4 this time). Remove those and the front panel will be loose enough remove the final panel.
On the left side of the panel that is now loose, there is another removable side panel (closest to the door). With a gentle push from the inside of the panel, this puppy pops right off allowing more than enough room to access the speaker.
Here is where it might become tricky as the speaker is in a housing and 4 "star" screws hols it in place. Here is where a very small "pocket size" ratchet will come in very handy.
Remove those screws and the speaker comes out.

I may post pictures of this if there is any confusion on this or of there is anyone out there that is visual like me and needs further clarification.
:gluging:

ndtguy
11-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Just incase anyone else needs this....

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217857