how to restrain cargo ? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: how to restrain cargo ?

toadontheroad
10-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I have a fairly heavy toolbox in the back and I don't see any available tie-downs to hold it down during bouncy rides. Is anyone bolting through the floor? Or coming up with other ideas?

Thanks,

MichaelW
10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
I bolted my air tank through the floor. Since it is so solid I use the legs to hold down everything else.

Some where I thought I saw some floor clamps that are "supposed" to be included with JK's but seem to be mysteriously missing.

I would DEFINITELY bolt down a heavy tool box. That would hurt when other wise you shouldn't get hurt.

Maybe bolting down some d-rings would be better???? Then you could bolt down anything.:beer:

paragon
10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Maybe get some plate steel to spread the load on the underside of the floor and drill and bolt some type of d-ring as Michael suggest or other tie down.

If you wanted to tackle it, you could cut out a small square and weld in recessed d-rings, although with carpet it might not matter.... but would make for some cool tech.:D

Things like the tuffy security drawer and the frig mounts simply bolt through the floor, so it's not really a big deal. Just don't drill into anything you need underneath.

toadontheroad
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, from underneath it looks pretty wide open as to what I can bolt on. I like the idea of a load distribution subplate welded on from underneath, then bolt thru with some smaller D-rings and cut clearance holes in the carpet.

Mike, did you bolt your tank inside? Or underneath?

MichaelW
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
It is bolted inside. I have a plan about using the "trunk" space for air later down the road, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Besides I'm wrestling with extra battery storage to boot. :shaking:

Don't forget you already have some bolts through the floor in the cargo area on the rear of the backseat.

paragon
10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Don't forget you already have some bolts through the floor in the cargo area on the rear of the backseat.

Wonder if you could replace those with some eyebolts for a quick way to have something to hook to?

GOAT1
10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a floor rack in the works, it is similar to our rear cargo rack but mounted to the floor with slides.