Just bought an 08 JK...suggestions for stuff to buy! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Just bought an 08 JK...suggestions for stuff to buy!

dodge8604
10-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Howdy from Ft. Bragg, NC guys!

Just getting started on mods for my JK wanted to know if there was any MUST HAVES out there, the cheaper the better in my situation though. Throw em out there, also we have a shop we can use to install so that cuts some dollar amount off.

Appreciate it fellas and look forward to moddin out my new JK!

Zach

MichaelW
10-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Best mod - driver education.

Best bang for the buck - driver education.

No really, get together with some experienced wheelers and and learn about your Jeep and what is the limitations to both yourself and your Jeep. Once your driving skill exceeds your Jeep then you can upgrade, and will know what to upgrade. ;)

There are tons of trinkets and stuff. Plenty of things to spend money on.

#1 Safety / First Aid / Communications / Recovery
#2 Ability - education and knowledge
#3 Protection - protect the Jeep
#4 More ability
#5 Capability - upgrade the equipment to match your skills

At least the above is the sensible approach. Course you could just go out and get a budget lift and some bigger meats and at least look good while your learning. :D

mike_engle
10-16-2007, 06:10 PM
X2 what MichaelW said. I would drive it stock for a while to get used to how it handles then start the upgrades.

dodge8604
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Well I've owned a TJ before, had it for about a year and beat it up pretty bad learning, so I guess you could say I have some driving experience/skill with a jeep. Probably not enough, but I have a small playground that I can go learn on without destroying my JK. Mike, I already have #1 squared away.....my unit requires first aid and safety stuff when we get a vehicle, I have a 2.5 ton come-along(accompanied by a chain) and a cell phone, I have a high-lift jack on my list but dunno if I should go ahead with it or not. No 5 point seat belts or anything like that. By far I am NOT building a crawling machine, something to go have fun in without breaking it really easily although these jeeps can take a whoopin. Protection is my #1 priority right now, lookin at rock sliders, diff. covers, skid plates, and bumpers first. A lift isn't even something I'm considering right now, because its not necessary for me to be able to take my jeep out in my playground without damaging something major.

Just lookin for some must haves, and neat stuff they make for jeeps. I need some locking storage but that isn't necessary right now.

But I am still open to suggestions....more specific suggestions may help me more, although I am on a budget....but what one single person isn't? besides celebrities of course :D:D:D

Gib
10-17-2007, 06:53 AM
As far as bang for the buck, nothing beats a good set of tires. Unless you really like the 18" rims I'd see if you can sell them and buy some 16 or 17 inch rims and some more aggressive tires. If someone is selling some Rubicon rims and tires near you that would probably be the hot ticket. It looks like you don't have the tow-hooks on yours either. I would see if you can get those from someone who upgraded to a new bumper too. That come-along won't do you much good without somewhere to hook it to! I'd hold off on the Hi-Lift untill you get some bumpers and rock-rails. Theres no place to put it right now without tearing up some sheet-metal or plastic.

Enjoy your new Jeep while you can, before you get sent over here!!!

MichaelW
10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Excellent, I think you are on the right track. I'm glad that you have the experience already and didn't take my suggestion as an insult. ;)

I agree on the protection. The belly is definitely vulnerable and the oil pan is something you can't live without and will bring your trail trip to an immediate stop if punctured. Rock sliders will also help you to navigate some tougher spots with some impunity without the need for excessive height.

dodge8604
10-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I think I'm gonna hold off on getting tow hooks because I'll be getting bumpers soon and I'm sure they'll either have hooks or a place where I can install some D-rings to hook my come-along to.

The rims are nice, but I really dont like the fact that they are big, and the backspacing is not ideal for my likes. I'm not lookin for mudding machines though, just a nice AT. The Bridgestone Duelers I have on there now are nice, not loud, aggressive enough to get me where I want to go, and they're high mileage tires too.

I know my limits though, so I wont be hitting the trail any heavier until I get some protection for sure. Besides this is my DD, so I definitely can't mess it up! :grinpimp:

Hey Gib, we're already scheduled for next sept. but I was told we'll be gone in Spring. I hope Afghans dont mind me hangin around a bit :pissed:

Also, do you guys know the dimensions of the exhaust?? I'm gonna fab my own custom one here soon and just need to know diameters, I'm used to 4 and 5 inch exhausts on diesels haven't modded a gasser for a longgggg time

toadontheroad
10-17-2007, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Gib;3036]As far as bang for the buck, nothing beats a good set of tires. Unless you really like the 18" rims I'd see if you can sell them and buy some 16 or 17 inch rims and some more aggressive tires. If someone is selling some Rubicon rims and tires near you that would probably be the hot ticket. It looks like you don't have the tow-hooks on yours either. I would see if you can get those from someone who upgraded to a new bumper too. That come-along won't do you much good without somewhere to hook it to! QUOTE]

There's a bumper and Rubi tires and rims in the for sale section of the forum ...

JKDoc
08-15-2009, 10:51 PM
I may have missed it but you need a tow strap, 15,000 to 20,000 pound rating. Your 2.5 ton come along won't give enough pull unless you add a snatch block and the chain won't work with the snatch block. Synthetic line is probably not in the picture now.

You need tow hooks. I am sure you can find cheap tow hooks from folks who have swapped bumpers. I'll sell you mine for $10 and shipping but you can probably find them close by. The High Lift Jack doesn't pull any more than your come along but does more things. Carry a shovel and basic tool kit and wheel with others who are better outfitted until you progress. Carry extra water and food just in case. Better tires will help everywhere but on the road.

The schooling comment is right on the mark. I went to Sedona Jeep School with Nena Barlow. Best $450 dollars I ever spent. I learned more in a day than I would have in months on my own. Must be someone doing 4wd instruction in North Carolina.

Always leave a flight plan with someone you trust and call them when you return. And don't change the plan without telling that individual otherwise you will have rescuers looking in the wrong place when you need them.

Have fun!

Slippery
08-16-2009, 05:39 AM
My suggestions for a road trail rig:

Rugged Ridge Front Winch Bumper and Swaybar Skid
Superwinch Epi9.0S SYnthetic
Rear Bumper- Smittybuilt XRC/TC
Iggee Seatcovers
Sliders River Raider
PSC Hydraulic Assist Steering
Wheels- 5 Walker Evans BL's
Superchip Flashpaq
ORH Frameless Top
Mastercraft Grab Handles Rear headrest, Rear, Front
Floor Liners F & R
Entry Guards
Xenon Flares
Rock Hard Engine/Oil Cat Skid
Goodyear MTR Kevlar Tires
Rock Krawler Lift and Tie Rod,
JE Reel 1350 Driveshafts
Riddler Diff Covers
Yukon 5.38 gears

Dreamy:
EVO Corners
Rock Jock 60's
5,7 Hemi

Jeep School
08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Safety: Recovery points and basic equipment: http://www.jeeptrailinfo.com/preparation.html

4x4 capability: Sway bar disconnects and better tires.

Edubication. :D In North Carolina, Blackwater USA used to offer 4x4 Instruction to the general public--not sure if they do any more, but worth inquiring.

Welcome and happy trails!

MBRP Tech 1
08-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Lots of great suggestions, and we've got a "Off-camber Fabrications" by MBRP inc. including A-pillar light brackets, front grill guard, heavy duty rock rails, and a cat-back exhaust to give a more aggressive tone.

Here are a few pics of the parts suggested.

http://dav.mbrp.com/steve/Jeep/JK/Light Brackets/7.jpg

http://dav.mbrp.com/steve/Jeep/JK/Light Bar/33.jpg

http://dav.mbrp.com/steve/Jeep/JK/Rock Rails/Coating/23.jpg

http://dav.mbrp.com/steve/Jeep/JK/Skid/9.jpg

http://dav.mbrp.com/steve/Jeep/JK/PA Jeeps/2.JPG

Check out www.mbrp.com for more info or contact me directly with questions.