Spare computer??? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Spare computer???

Eugene
10-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Does anyone have a good source for a spare computer(ECU/PCU/SOS/POS) or whatever 3 letter code they use these days? I have a '07 Rubicon 2dr, and would like to carry a spare. I carry alot to fix almost everything mechanical, but I've heard horror stories of computers crapping out, and I know of no trail fix for them. ANy insight would be helpful.

mtnmedic
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
That would be hard as I believe the ECU has the VIN programmed in and a second ECU obviously wont, so it may or not work even if you got it swapped out. I don't know how hard or easy it is to program a VIN in a new ECU.

good luck

StubEXrube
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
That would be hard as I believe the ECU has the VIN programmed in and a second ECU obviously wont, so it may or not work even if you got it swapped out. I don't know how hard or easy it is to program a VIN in a new ECU.

good luck

x2 I can't imagine trying to hook up much less program a new computer/ ECU while out on the trail. Would seem next to impossible. FWIW- I have never heard of a JK or TJ computer "crapping out" on the trail. Maybe there are some horror stories that indicate otherwise, but not in any cases that I've seen. JMO

Broncojohn
10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I've thought about this also I think you can pre program the ECU with your vin and other details so I would be a swap out for your truck only. I haven't looked for one but my guess a junk yard would be the first stop the take it to Jeep Stealership to let them know you want it programed for your truck.

Eugene
10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
My buddy has a YJ and he carries a spare. He got it at a wrecking yard. Unfortunately, having a JK means that there are not a lot of wrecks available, so pickings are slim. I saw an add for a company that sells spare ECU's but I can't find it. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

mtnmedic
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I saw on xtreme4x4 on spike when they did the hemi swap, they explained that you have to get the engine and ecu to match otherwise...trouble