ND Laws?? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: ND Laws??

jeepdork
09-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I might be in the Tioga area for work and I was wondering of I'll get hassled for no mud flaps and my fender flares being cut. Where I live now we don't get much rain and no snow so it isn't an issue, cops don't take a second look at you here. You can see in my profile picture that the flares are cut back quite a bit. I am running 37 X 12.5's Let me know if you know if this will be an issue for me, Thanks. :beer:

jeepdork
09-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow 20 views and not a word?? Guess other people are wondering too?

jeepgrl
09-20-2010, 07:04 PM
That's because most people don't know ND exists, yet alone a Jeep in ND. Most people think we still ride horses:laughing: I tried to search it, couldn't find anything ND.gov is our state web page. To tell you the truth there are a ton of out of state workers all over the place with the oil fields i don't know how the cops could keep up with worrying about you not haveing mudflaps. There are litteraly city parks filled with tents in some places because of the oil boom, bad news is- our overnight lows have been dipping into the 30's and we had snow the other day so I don't know where they are all going to live. I would forsee you getting a warning maybe but thats it if there is such a rule. Pack your long underwear!:D

offroader613
09-20-2010, 08:59 PM
At least in my area, tire coverage isn't a problem. A lot of jacked up Silverados with tires sticking way too far out and not a problem from Johnny Law.

I do think I've seen some JK's in the Bismarck area running narrow Xenon's, AEV wheels, and I think wheel spacers...rescue green unlimited Rubicon if you've seen it jeepgrl.

fishgutz
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM
If you pass inspection the cops won't hassle you. If your registered out of state they can't hassle you either.
In NC some towns try making up local vehicle regs but they are no valid. They are actually just excuses to manufacture "probable cause" to pull a vehicle over when they have no legal reason.

Butkus34
09-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I can't say for sure, but I know of some people getting ticketed for having their wheels stick out past the fenders. I am guessing that it might be a not so often enforced law. I cannot tell you for sure as I have tried to look it up on our ND.gov site to no avail. I will keep searching for you and try to find out what I can. I have a couple friends that are cops in the area and if I see them or talk to them I will definitely check.

jeepdork
09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I can't say for sure, but I know of some people getting ticketed for having their wheels stick out past the fenders. I am guessing that it might be a not so often enforced law. I cannot tell you for sure as I have tried to look it up on our ND.gov site to no avail. I will keep searching for you and try to find out what I can. I have a couple friends that are cops in the area and if I see them or talk to them I will definitely check.

thanks anything you find out would be great. Thank you to everybody that resonded.:beer:

Butkus34
10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
still trying to find out for you, haven't gotten any clear answers as of yet, the closest I've gotten to a credible answer is that the tires can stick out from your fenders marginally, maybe 1 in or so

bitbyte
10-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Wouldn't a quick call to the state police or a local PD be faster, safer and easier than asking for legal advice on an internet forum? :)

jeepdork
10-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Wouldn't a quick call to the state police or a local PD be faster, safer and easier than asking for legal advice on an internet forum? :)

Just because something is on the books doesn't mean it's going to strictly enforced. I'm not looking for "legal advise", just wanted to know if anyone has had any trouble with lifted Jeeps and tires sticking out. Just using a forum for exactly what it's for, asking questions and finding out about other's experiences.:beer:

jeepdork
10-12-2010, 05:09 AM

Oh and thanks again on the gear info, I think that is where I am going to have it done.:)

Butkus34
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, from all the responses that I've gotten is that you really shouldn't have problems unless a certain officer wants to be a dick. You most likely won't get pulled over for having your wheels stick out a bit as you do have fender flares, the only thing is they may pay closer attention so don't give them a reason to stop you type of deal and they will most likely not stop you just for your wheels sticking out a bit. Hope it helps though it's pretty vague

Butkus34
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Here's a link to a page explaining some ND Laws including fender flare coverage

http://liftlaws.com/north_dakota_lift_laws.htm

mckbrew
12-04-2010, 12:54 PM
It's like anywhere else. In most cases fender laws, lift laws, etc... are typically not enforced unless it's obviously out of spec.

But on the same note they can use that against you. You might be fine driving to towns 20 times during daylight hours with a modified rig, but at 2AM when they are doing a DUI emphasis, that's when they will get you. Chances are if you are sober, you won't have any issues.

So oil is making a comeback in ND? When I was younger in the early 1980's we lived just inside Montana and my dad worked in ND. Funny how things just sort of died off for awhile.

Butkus34
12-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Ya, the Balken Shale Oil field is one of the largest reserves, just hard to get the oil for the most part

JPlimo
03-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi jeepdork,

This post is a couple months old, and you may already be up here, or have your answers. but I will add my two cents.

I have had lifted my trucks my whole driving career! My first lifted vehicle was a '97 dodge 1500 with 7" of lift and 36x14.5 parnelli jones dirt grips. The cops here in Bis had a ball with me, so I got to know the law books very well!

There is a bumper height of 27", However, most cops will insist on measuring the highest point on the bottem edge of both bumpers! Suplemental bumpers are legal, but have to have structural integrity, and be attached to the frame! Also, they will pull you over for not having mud flaps and you will get a ticket! I forget exactly how its stated, but something about your quarter panels being higher than the centerline of your axles, will then require mud flaps. Tires sticking out beyond fenders will also net you a ticket! they dont need to stick out too far either, basically any tread will get you pulled over. There is also a cargo area height, 40 some inches if I rember right. No suspension lifts over 4" and no body lifts over 3". and NO modification to the stock steering is legal! However, you would have to be pulled over by a jeep "savy" cop for him/her to notice this.

As said, most will leave you alone, especially in the rural comunities (i.e. Tioga!). However, most will use it as a reason to pull you over for larger issues such as DUI. But it seems they get angered when you pass the "road side olympics", and will then throw the book at you for your vehicle mods!

I have 6 equipment violations during my 14 years driving, so they dont have a lot of forgiveness for me anymore! However, most do seem to appreciate the fact that all of my mods are high quality and very safe!

I have not had any issues with my JK, however, one cop I recently passed was eye f@*cking the shit out of my jeep, and that has me concerned! I shouldnt even mention it since its probably bad karma, but he may have a meeting with me in mind the next time he passes me!

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to fill you in! Good luck with your jeep. There are TONS of HUGE trucks up in the oil patch from other states, and I have a feeling the cops/sherrifs/and state patrols have their hands full with bigger issues (Illegal alliens, drivers with no CDL's, drunks, overloaded trucks, etc, etc!). It is booming up there big time, be safe, and enjoy ND!

Dakotawolf
11-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Has anyone had any problems with modified JKs in the Bismarck/Mandan area, Western ND, or ND in general? What have they called you on? My tires are beyond the fenders now. Waiting for a lift kit and it will not look so obvious. Wondering about needing to put on wider fenders or at least adding those dang flexi flares to keep cops at bay.

What about stubby bumpers? Anyone? Damaged one corner of mine and want to cut it off maybe add VDP caps until I can afford a full replacement. Anyone been hasseled for this?