Camping in Ocala [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Camping in Ocala

rooster
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Just had to share. I went camping (if you can call it that) this past weekend at Ocala. I have 5 30' 5th wheel campers, well my company does but at my disposal. So I took one for the weekend. What fun! We rode Friday night, Satuday day, grilled out and rode the power lines Saturday night. We looked like the rat patrol Saturday night. There were 9 of us and we were balls to the wall side by side. All lights blazin. It looked pretty cool. That was my first Ocala ride. I wasnt all that impressed. Im sure we didnt get to the cool stuff. I was wanting something to climb. All in all it was awesome and cant wait to go camping again.

karnuvore
10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Just had to share. I went camping (if you can call it that) this past weekend at Ocala. I have 5 30' 5th wheel campers, well my company does but at my disposal. So I took one for the weekend. What fun! We rode Friday night, Satuday day, grilled out and rode the power lines Saturday night. We looked like the rat patrol Saturday night. There were 9 of us and we were balls to the wall side by side. All lights blazin. It looked pretty cool. That was my first Ocala ride. I wasnt all that impressed. Im sure we didnt get to the cool stuff. I was wanting something to climb. All in all it was awesome and cant wait to go camping again.

Im going next weekend. Probably camping next Saturday and possibly sunday night @ Hopkins Prarie Campground. Climbing? In Ocala? Not too many places for that. It's mostly trail riding. But I like trail riding - so it works for me.

Where'd you camp? Hit any of the new Jeep trails Jason and FJOA have been working on? Get any pinstripes?

Lemme know if you wanna camp again.

rooster
10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Im going next weekend. Probably camping next Saturday and possibly sunday night @ Hopkins Prarie Campground. Climbing? In Ocala? Not too many places for that. It's mostly trail riding. But I like trail riding - so it works for me.

Where'd you camp? Hit any of the new Jeep trails Jason and FJOA have been working on? Get any pinstripes?

Lemme know if you wanna camp again.

We stayed at Lake something. It was off of 183 in Ocala. It was by the whale restraunt. We rode 595 and the power lines. We did go down a couple of the Jeep trails. I had a good time. I like the trails but we got into some really tight ones. Ive got a few pin strips but on the silver they dont show up that bad luckily. I'll go camping again for sure. I want to ride with you sometime.

karnuvore
10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah it's easy to get into some tight trails in Ocala. What I do, is when I see the banks of the curves start to get steep, I know it's turning into a 4wheeler trail and I turn around. No shame in saying "F it."

If you try to stay on numbered roads (which youre supposed to, but it can get downright confusing), you typically avoid the "too tight" trails. Granted, Ive maybe been down 20% of the trails in the forest and that's on probably 20 trips there. Place is massive.

Just lemme know next time youre planning on going up that way and I'll make sure I get up there as well.