Rear view camera on REN [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rear view camera on REN

wagonofdoom
09-28-2008, 03:19 AM
ok, two options
rear view camera hooked up to REN
how do i do it. iev been googling for a while, and cant find anything

also, what other methods do other people use for rear view cameras. We have to park in some SUPER tight spots, and tight up against walls, so any help we can get is great.

thanks

jacktuttle
09-28-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm trying to find a way to connect a back up camera to the MyGig in the jeep, But an easy and low cost short cut is to just purchase on from your local wal-mart or electronics store. I had one on my last car that was wireless. It had a little screen that went on the dash. 2 wires to it one when the key is on and a ground. The camera connected to the license plate frame and also 2 wires. One to the back up light for power and a ground. I went a step farther and used 2 small diodes and added a little switch on the dash so I could turn it on manually when I wanted it. I found it handy to know what was behind me when rock crawling and such.:smokin:

I hope this helps.

wagonofdoom
09-28-2008, 05:45 AM
id raher use mygig....

i know i can get a separate unit

jacktuttle
09-28-2008, 06:17 AM
id raher use mygig....

i know i can get a separate unit

Yes me too! I have been looking at the cameras for some other models of cars wondering if they would work with my jeep. I know it will with a lock pick adapter, but that is a lot of extra coin if it is not needed.

TEEJ
09-28-2008, 09:39 AM
For ~ $ 79 my kids got me a color back up camera, wireless, with a 3x4" screen.

Just clipped the camera to the lic plate and its wires to the reverse bulb, and the monitor wires to the dash fuse box, DONE.

It works flawlessly.

I can adjust it for orientation from the monitor, and its easy to change the camera angle at the mount. I do not have it mounted on the JK, its on one of my other trucks, but its so simple, it can really go on anything. (Took ~ 15 minutes to install it and get it aimed the way I wanted it, etc.)

:D

I don't have the Mygig on the JK anyway though.

PS - As they are so inexpensive, and ar weather proof, I was considering a SECOND ONE, to mount facing FORWARDS as a self spotting camera.

If I wanted to, I assume the mygig has an aux input jack somewhere?

I'd think that's all I would need to fashion a way to get the pic on the mygig...

Do they HAVE that kind of jack?

jtphoto JK
09-28-2008, 10:33 AM
There is software available, Lockpick is one of them, that allows the use of backup cameras on the MyGig screen when in reverse. There is a module that attaches inline to the MyGig harness that has extra ports for camera connection.

StubEXrube
09-28-2008, 11:24 AM
TEEJ. Did your kids tell you where they purchased the camera? Part #?

Sounds like the ticket for front end self spotting and rear back-up. Even one underneath would be cool, although with a monitor at 3" x 4" sounds like one or two would have to suffice.

SDMF
09-28-2008, 11:29 AM
TEEJ. Did your kids tell you where they purchased the camera? Part #?

Sounds like the ticket for front end self spotting and rear back-up. Even one underneath would be cool, although with a monitor at 3" x 4" sounds like one or two would have to suffice.

I'm thinking an inline video switch so you can change cameras on the one monitor.

TEEJ
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I know they got it at PepBoys, and, If I saved the box, I'd have the part #, etc, as I installed it.

I'll look in case I still have it.

The transmission frequency is probably the same, so as only one camera would be transmitting at a time anyway, the screen would probably display the right one automatically.

SDMF
09-28-2008, 11:37 AM
The transmission frequency is probably the same, so as only one camera would be transmitting at a time anyway, the screen would probably display the right one automatically.

That's a great point...I wonder if you can find just the camera on the net.

wagonofdoom
09-28-2008, 02:38 PM
:sigh: thanks for getting off topic

i know there are 50.00 wireless camera options.
Please keep this thread on topic of the mygig.
LOckpick is way the hell overpriced, and i dont even watch dvds in the car so its useless

SDMF
09-28-2008, 02:58 PM
also, what other methods do other people use for rear view cameras. We have to park in some SUPER tight spots, and tight up against walls, so any help we can get is great.

thanks

There is nothing off topic about talking about camera options. Stop being a dick.

wagonofdoom
09-28-2008, 05:58 PM
title of the thread is....and i quote:
Rear view camera on REN

not what camera can i get, to add yet another screen into my jeep that could get ruined when it rains on me.

Im not being a dick. there are like 10 other threads about random cameras.
I didnt reply in them due to the fact htey had nothign with adding it to a mygig.
I already have one of the wireless cameras in my other car and it works fine, but i want to integrate the camera into the mygig, without a 250.00 brick to do it

jacktuttle
09-28-2008, 06:54 PM
title of the thread is....and i quote:
Rear view camera on REN

not what camera can i get, to add yet another screen into my jeep that could get ruined when it rains on me.

Im not being a dick. there are like 10 other threads about random cameras.
I didnt reply in them due to the fact htey had nothign with adding it to a mygig.
I already have one of the wireless cameras in my other car and it works fine, but i want to integrate the camera into the mygig, without a 250.00 brick to do it

Me too!!!!!!!

so_calif_rubi
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking an inline video switch so you can change cameras on the one monitor.

That would be very cool, get like 3 or 4 cameras and a switch,i like that,good idea.

jacktuttle
09-28-2008, 08:16 PM
That would be very cool, get like 3 or 4 cameras and a switch,i like that,good idea.

I thought about doing that, but as I could not find a source for only the cameras it was going to be to expensive. About $100.00 per camera and a rotary switch in addition to wiring. But I'm sure it would work. Of course we are talking about putting the camera on the under side of the jeep where it is exposed to the most damage. Another option would be a lap top and a few web cams. Some are weather proof, and you could have up to 9 or them displayed on one screen. There are some lap top mounts that would adapt to the jeep with out much trouble. Also the screen could work with some GPS units.

venom
09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
About $100.00 per camera

a quick search on ebay for 'backup camera' produced a plethora in the $15-$25 range

jacktuttle
09-29-2008, 06:52 AM
a quick search on ebay for 'backup camera' produced a plethora in the $15-$25 range

e-bay is listed as "The Evil Place" at my house..... But good idea. That and a rotory swirch and you can have views any where you want. :)

hscrugby
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll try and find the pinouts,
It's on "C3" on the back of the mygig,
(I think, might be backwards)
C1= radio out, speakers, power, etc (iPod bits for 09)
C2= hands free, mic (iPod bits for 09)
C3= AV bits, rear monitor, camera, etc etc IF your mygig has a plug there, you can splice into the right pin, (once again, will try and find exact pins shortly)
it woudl know from the canbus when you are in reverse, so assuming you have "enable backup camera in reverse" it will auto display

SDMF
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I'll try and find the pinouts,
It's on "C3" on the back of the mygig,
(I think, might be backwards)
C1= radio out, speakers, power, etc (iPod bits for 09)
C2= hands free, mic (iPod bits for 09)
C3= AV bits, rear monitor, camera, etc etc IF your mygig has a plug there, you can splice into the right pin, (once again, will try and find exact pins shortly)
it woudl know from the canbus when you are in reverse, so assuming you have "enable backup camera in reverse" it will auto display

Now that you mention that, I remember seeing something on jk-forum about that. I think someone did a writeup on breaking open the case and splicing in a hookup for the camera.

hscrugby
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok, looks like you'd need to tie into 3 plugs.
3 VES Camera In Signal
4 VES Camera In Ground
5 VES Camera In Shield

I believe those are along the top, and pin 1 is on the fan side, and 12 is on the Ant side of the radio. (1 and 12 are the big ones on the side)

Now that you mention that, I remember seeing something on jk-forum about that. I think someone did a writeup on breaking open the case and splicing in a hookup for the camera.

you shouldn't need to break into anything, just steal those three wires I believe. and really, I think just two of them? not sure what the "shield" is?
I keep meaning to do this, but i'm lazy.

jacktuttle
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Ok, looks like you'd need to tie into 3 plugs.
3 VES Camera In Signal
4 VES Camera In Ground
5 VES Camera In Shield

I believe those are along the top, and pin 1 is on the fan side, and 12 is on the Ant side of the radio. (1 and 12 are the big ones on the side)

you shouldn't need to break into anything, just steal those three wires I believe. and really, I think just two of them? not sure what the "shield" is?
I keep meaning to do this, but i'm lazy.

I did notice when connecting the Mic that there is one unused open plug outlet on the back of the unit. I have no idea what it is for.... I was woundering if it was for a camera or something.

dyolfknip
09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Costco here in Canada has a wireless camera setup with like 3 or 4 cameras going into something like a router then feeding to a monitor. Might be able to do something like that. They dont have it on either the Canadian or US site (usually what is in the store isnt on the site, here in Canada anyway) BUT while looking for you I found this: Weatherproof Camera (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299912&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79&N=4008798&Mo=23&No=7&ViewAll=24&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=20100&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=) which looks pretty slick...is weatherproof and has IR functions...night vision, oh and it runs off of 12 V DC. Maybe not what you are looking for but man I want one now. lol.

Oh and Wagonofdoom, you may have noticed that you have been called a dick on this and another board. Just saying is all. Chill man. It is an internet forum, they get off topic. Deal with it.

wagonofdoom
09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
dude, i am a dick
i am in real life too. slightly arogant as well.

dyolfknip
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
dude, i am a dick

LOl you know what, so am I...military too....but the fact of the matter is you wont get a lot of help from others once a mind is made up...to each his own though.

wagonofdoom
09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
LOl you know what, so am I...military too....but the fact of the matter is you wont get a lot of help from others once a mind is made up...to each his own though.

fact of the matter is, in that post, i wasnt being a dick.
Fact of the matter is, again, if i wanted a solution OTHER than a mygig solution, i would have posted, "What kind of camera can i use for parking without using mygig".

i didnt, so i expect related conversation to be here, and unrelated in the other 10 threads

I guess the forums i come from are a little more organized than here, i dunno

dyolfknip
09-29-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess the forums i come from are a little more organized than here, i dunno

maybe check there then:D

wagonofdoom
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
i dont htink 240s came with mygig, but i could be wrong.

wait, no i'm not

Riverkid
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Well I have one setup through my lockpick, and I'll be running a front cam too once my bumper gets here. Coastal has a Multi-media harness cable (AV9003mygig) install that has inputs for two cameras with a Y cable. It goes in the center hole in the back of the MyGig. There are also RC's for ipod, etc input and outputs for external screens, etc....

There are also two power leads in the Lockpick harness to power both cameras ao you can look back and forth between the two with the Mygig buttons if you like.

It's a little spendy, but it works...

You might be able to get the newer Beta download for the MyGig and just buy the cable and cam from Coastal... That would take the lockpick cost out of the deal...

md_rubi
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
lockpic is probably the best option. I used caravan parts for the mygig and they all work great.

wagonofdoom
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
dont want lockpick
dont watch dvds, so it doesnt nothign for me

TEEJ
10-02-2008, 07:07 AM
ok, two options
rear view camera hooked up to REN
how do i do it. iev been googling for a while, and cant find anything

thanks

Um, maybe you DID ask about OTHER methods?

bfj aka tambil
10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
ROFL

Sorry, but the easiest option is a simple cam for the lic plate. Can buy them EVERYWHERE, they mount anywhere. Try "dealextreme.com" they ship out of taiwan I believe. Also ebay. Mygig has aux input as I understand it. It is the software that causes concern. Reading that "lockpic" or whatever allows more control.
Personally >>IMO>> I would use a secondary and totally seperate screen. Find it online for 200 bucks cam, lcd, and wiring. Then skip the stupid stock mygig crap.
It will save you a ton of headache...

I know the parking over there is tight as hell.

The over the shoulder option doesn't even work. You could as an OPTION.. use a spotter. lol j/k

peace

John L
10-03-2008, 02:38 AM
The over the shoulder option doesn't even work. You could as an OPTION.. use a spotter. lol j/k

peace

Or learn to drive with the mirrors.

dyolfknip
10-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Or learn to drive with the mirrors.

:D lol

wagonofdoom
10-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Um, maybe you DID ask about OTHER methods?

awwwww ****

wagonofdoom
10-03-2008, 02:54 AM
ROFL

Sorry, but the easiest option is a simple cam for the lic plate. Can buy them EVERYWHERE, they mount anywhere. Try "dealextreme.com" they ship out of taiwan I believe. Also ebay. Mygig has aux input as I understand it. It is the software that causes concern. Reading that "lockpic" or whatever allows more control.
Personally >>IMO>> I would use a secondary and totally seperate screen. Find it online for 200 bucks cam, lcd, and wiring. Then skip the stupid stock mygig crap.
It will save you a ton of headache...

I know the parking over there is tight as hell.

peace

pretty much
befor ei park i have to fold in the mirrors sometimes, so they arent even an option

TEEJ
10-03-2008, 04:27 AM
OK, found the box...the model was a VR3, Virtual Reality Labs.

PepBoys has them for example...the camera goes on the license plate, and transmits wirelessly to the screen.

All I did was wire the camera to the reverse light, and the screen to the dash fuse box...a few minutes, and done.

Under $100, with PepBoys rebate thing, ~ $ 70

Even if you bought TWO kits, to have a front self spotting camera AND a reverse spotting camera, that's only $140 COMBINED.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51L68hWKMBL._SS500_.jpg

jacktuttle
10-03-2008, 05:59 AM
OK, found the box...the model was a VR3, Virtual Reality Labs.

PepBoys has them for example...the camera goes on the license plate, and transmits wirelessly to the screen.

All I did was wire the camera to the reverse light, and the screen to the dash fuse box...a few minutes, and done.

Under $100, with PepBoys rebate thing, ~ $ 70

Even if you bought TWO kits, to have a front self spotting camera AND a reverse spotting camera, that's only $140 COMBINED.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51L68hWKMBL._SS500_.jpg

I had that camera from Pep Boys. It worked good until I was rear ended... I'm not sure why, but the body shop/insurance adjuster would not replace it when they fixed the rest. But it worked very well up to that point. I had it on the back of my 1998 Range Rover. The Rangie also had rear fog lamps. I wired it with a couple if diodes so it came on both with the back up lights and the rear fog lights. But that was 1 camera with 2 sources of power, not 2 cameras....

John L
10-03-2008, 07:05 AM
pretty much
befor ei park i have to fold in the mirrors sometimes, so they arent even an option

OK, that doesn't make sense. If you have to fold the mirrors in to park, how do you get out of the Jeep?

jacktuttle
10-03-2008, 07:11 AM
OK, that doesn't make sense. If you have to fold the mirrors in to park, how do you get out of the Jeep?

Why just leave the top off and climb out the back.......:grinpimp:

TEEJ
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I've seen garages with support poles, where the poles are the limiting factor to pass between, possibly with folded mirrors, etc...but, when past them, they are no longer blocking the mirrors or the doors.

I can also imagine garages with a series of pendulum axes swinging back and forth that you have to time very carefully to get through w/o being chopped into pieces.

I like mine because it can see down low in my blind spot behind the truck.

wagonofdoom
10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
very
very
carefully
i had to go out the back once

jacktuttle
10-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I can also imagine garages with a series of pendulum axes swinging back and forth that you have to time very carefully to get through w/o being chopped into pieces.

That is only during the earth quakes......:D

bfj aka tambil
10-05-2008, 06:49 PM

LOL.. You would have to see it to believe it. Many places were built before cars, so the roads are narrow and cars are an afterthought. I even saw my daughter's neighbor bust there mirror while backing into their home parking. Funny thing is they had a spotter. (very old couple.)

wagonofdoom
10-06-2008, 03:28 AM
put it this way. the one way roads you have in the US.....are the local 2 way roads.
that is a small scope. I will take some pics so you can see the size of the jeep compared to japan stuff.

When i park at the mall etce tc...BOTH tires, are on the MIDDLE of the white lines on each side

jacktuttle
10-06-2008, 06:58 AM
put it this way. the one way roads you have in the US.....are the local 2 way roads.
that is a small scope. I will take some pics so you can see the size of the jeep compared to japan stuff.

When i park at the mall etce tc...BOTH tires, are on the MIDDLE of the white lines on each side

I'd like to see those pictures! :D

John L
10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Use the force, Luke.

Moho
10-06-2008, 06:03 PM
try allgig or lockpick They both sell the cameras that attatch to the my gig.and yo can even get a thermal image camera.

bfj aka tambil
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Yep, I was joking with my wife about bringing the Jeep and moving there.
and how it would compare to the "normal" vehicle there.
But those vans can get pretty tricked out.
Use the force, Luke.

LOL

wagonofdoom
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
seriously
i want a hiace or a noah or el grande van so bad

Grover
11-07-2008, 11:32 AM
dude, i am a dick

I have always heard that you are what you eat.

kerryp
11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
A couple years back, I considered putting a package together that could be sold to provide spotting cameras and GPS by using Angeltrax and four submersible bullet (or lipstick cameras since they are the size of a lipstick container) cameras that would obviously be waterproof and small enough to not get bashed all to heck, but it was just too much with everything I have going on....

if you use these types of cameras you can mount them just about anywhere, for instance, the pinhole lens could be mounted in the center cap of your spare with only a small hole (not a hole in your centercap, but in the mount behind it) so it wouldn't be obvious it was there and you could mount a couple underneath,

and if you go with the IR function unit, you would still be able to spot even at night...

The largest of these units is only like 2"x3". The problem would be the screen to display the video and the switcher to switch between the cameras, which isn't rocket science, its just a matter of getting the proper equipment.

I don't have MyGig, so I don't know what capabilities it has. I would think, that if you could get the video signal in, then you would be set. You just route each camera to a switcher and then the video out to the MyGig and use the switcher to switch between each camera depending on what you want to see....

you could even see fishys when you frive through water :thefinger:

John L
11-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Throw a quad screen splitter on the above and watch all four at once....

kerryp
11-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Throw a quad screen splitter on the above and watch all four at once....

You could do that, but it would depend on the screen size. For most displays in a vehicle the four shots would probably be too small. For the security stuff I design, the DVRs and NVRs we specify offer that functionality and it is used, but in order to get a picture worth looking at you normally need each video picture to be appr 9" to see at least a little detail.

Now if you could figure out how to use touch screen functionality, you might be able to set it up to quad and then touch the view you want to go full size. that would be cool, but I don't know if it could be done.

Or you could be real creative and design a miniature video wall across the top of your windshield and use cameras for your mirrors and see all angles, but that might be a ittle much.... :D

John L
11-07-2008, 03:20 PM
You could do that, but it would depend on the screen size. For most displays in a vehicle the four shots would probably be too small. For the security stuff I design, the DVRs and NVRs we specify offer that functionality and it is used, but in order to get a picture worth looking at you normally need each video picture to be appr 9" to see at least a little detail.

Now if you could figure out how to use touch screen functionality, you might be able to set it up to quad and then touch the view you want to go full size. that would be cool, but I don't know if it could be done.

Or you could be real creative and design a miniature video wall across the top of your windshield and use cameras for your mirrors and see all angles, but that might be a ittle much.... :D

LOL, I'd go fiber optics for that much...