Rubicon: Had A Great Run [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rubicon: Had A Great Run

rubirobv
07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
100dollarman, Woods, Steve and Rhonda ( friends of Hundy and Michelle) and myself met thursday night at Loon for a three day trail run. Woods had his son Brandon, Julie and Julie's uncle, Tom along for the run. I had my son Ryan with me this time. I learned later that Tom lives directly behind my father in Grass Valley and lived in the same area I did, growing up. That is a very small world.

It was already dark when we started up ice house road. About halfway to the top, I saw a woman shouting for me to stop. So I pulled over with Steve and Rhonda behind me. We walk back to see a blinged out H2 about 10 feet off the side of the road, on the down hill side facing up hill and high centered. They were lucky to have gone off the road where they did as trees kept them from going several hundred feet farther down the mountain. After two attempts with the winch we got them back on the road. My son was impressed and said " what comes around goes around."
I told him that all I wanted was a hassle free, fun weekend. It turned out that karma was in my favor.

We made it to Loon around 10:30, where we met Woods and we setup camp for the night. Nor-Cal members of jk-forum had a run going that weekend also and I watched some of them roll in around midnight.

The next morning we were on the trail by 7:30 am. Stopped and greeted the guys from JKF and headed down the trail. Made it through gate keeper and the bowl without problems and found a small but challanging sluice box near the top of wentworth springs trail. I'd like to know the name of it if anybody knows. After that , we headed for little sluice. Made it up walker hill with no problems and stopped at soup bowl for hundy's second attempt at it. He made it through. I won't tell you how he did it but he made it through the soup bowl. We took the south bypass at the box and stopped for a break there. I let Ryan shoot his bb pistol while the rest of the group went to cool off in spider lake. After a short break we were headed for buck island. There's another off camber section that rattles my nerves every time. We were just about through when I felt the weight of the jeep shift. I gave it a little throttle and we came out clean. I looked at Ryan, we high fived. He knew it was close too. The rest of the way to buck was just fun wheelin'. We made camp at buck, washed up in the lake and later went to explore a route to the waterfall where rockbound lake flows into buck island lake. We got close but really didn't find a clear path to rockbound lake. Once again, if anybody knows how to get to rockbound lake or the other side of buck, I'd like to know.

Saturday we were off to my favorite section of the rubicon. Big sluice and rubicon springs. Lots of activity on big sluice. Rigs coming up and rigs going down. Rigs breaking and rigs crashing into each other and the " friends of the rubicon" work party there to watch all of it. Ran into "Stainless Steel Dave", who was working with FOTR. For those who don't know, Dave has a flat fender CJ made completely out of stainless steel. It's very impressive. He's also well known over on Pirate.

We made down to the springs and took one of the best camp spots on the river. The wooded area across from the rope swing. Ryan had a blast on the rope swing while I sat in a chair, in the river with a beer in hand. Doesn't get much better. We had an awesome campfire, listening to classic, classic rock on sirius radio, sipping tequilla.

Sunday, we were up early and on our way up cadillac hill. Everyone made it up cadillac just fine. Hung out at observation peek for a few minutes and then off to Tahoe.

A few minor dents and scratches here and there and a few close calls but everyone came out ready to drive home.

Thanks to everyone there for an excellent wheelin' and camping weekend.
Better than last year in my opinion. Nice job everyone. :beer::beer::beer:

Pics or vids to follow.

cruzcode
07-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Rob,

The trip sounds like a blast!

When you were talking about the off-camber portion where you felt the weight shift before throttling out of it, did you mean that you felt like you were going to tip/flip if you didn't? I'm trying to get a visual, from not yet having been to the Rubicon...

When my rig is done, hopefully you'll be up for another run!

RC

09rubicon
07-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I was out there myself this weekend. I saw a few of you guys out there, glad everyone had a great time! I saw the stainless CJ over on big sluice, that thing is awesome!!
Droping down into Big Sluice
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110/09rubicon/Rubicon%20Trail%202010/IMAG0199.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110/09rubicon/Rubicon%20Trail%202010/IMAG0198.jpg
A random boulder in the trail.
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110/09rubicon/Rubicon%20Trail%202010/IMAG0179.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110/09rubicon/Rubicon%20Trail%202010/IMAG0180.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110/09rubicon/Rubicon%20Trail%202010/IMAG0181.jpg

JeepThing
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip Rob, glad you guys made it through ok. Great write up. Wish I could have been there! I'm still bummed that I had to cancel on you. Can't wait to see pics ... :bounce: Did anyone get video of Hundy doing Soup Bowl?

That's too bad about the falls. Here are some directions that were posted on Pirate. We'll have to try and find them next time ... won't be as much water then though. I would love to see them during the spring runoff.

It is fairly easy access from the main trail just before it goes down to the Big Sluice. Go around the left side of the finger (where the trail used to go through the water) and then stay on the high-side going around the Lake and you will get to the falls in about 15 minutes. From there it is a short hike up the falls (easier if you can cross to the right side of the falls) to Rockbound which is definately worth the hike. If you are camped at that end of Buck you can also make a left up the big hill that is on your left as you go through the saddle to the big sluice (the hill with the bypass on it)...hike to the top and you wil find that the Mountain actually has a cone type center with a small lake in the center of it. Bit of a hike, but a nice lake that is rarely seen.

RotorHead
07-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Great report. Lots of people hitting Rubicon lately.

desert dog
07-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Great report!

Yep the trail is really crowded. I think that all the folks that had to cancel their April, May, and june trips due to snow rescheduled for July!

We had about an hour of waiting to get down big sluice last week; stuck / broken / abandoned rigs all over the place.

I dented a fender climbing soup bowl last week, so Im glad that your group kicked its ass for me :mr-t:.

owtdorz
07-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Yep the trail is really crowded.
That's why GF and I went in on a Sunday. A lot less traffic.

rubirobv
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Rob,

The trip sounds like a blast!

When you were talking about the off-camber portion where you felt the weight shift before throttling out of it, did you mean that you felt like you were going to tip/flip if you didn't? I'm trying to get a visual, from not yet having been to the Rubicon...

When my rig is done, hopefully you'll be up for another run!

RC

Yeah, we were close to the tipping point. I might be a bit tall for my setup. Something to look into.

100dollarman
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
How is anyone gonna see this in Norcal section???:thefinger:

:grinpimp:

rubirobv
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip Rob, glad you guys made it through ok. Great write up. Wish I could have been there! I'm still bummed that I had to cancel on you. Can't wait to see pics ... :bounce: Did anyone get video of Hundy doing Soup Bowl?

That's too bad about the falls. Here are some directions that were posted on Pirate. We'll have to try and find them next time ... won't be as much water then though. I would love to see them during the spring runoff.

Thanks for the info. We missed you out there. We'll get out there again.
Here's a pic that I copied from JKF. This great picture caught our camp, about center of frame.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/boozewz/The%20Rubicon%20Trail%20July%2016th%202010/IMG_2715-1.jpg

rubirobv
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
How is anyone gonna see this in Norcal section???:thefinger:

I know. Had to report to my peeps. Post up on the main board and I'll add to it. You and Woods have all the pics. I shot some video but I'm too tired to edit it. :thefinger:

rubirobv
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
09 Rubi. Glad I had a chance to say hello when you drove through the springs. Met David, McCurdy, Hoggstatus and a few others at loon, friday morning.

cruzcode
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Damn!!! Everyone went! I was sitting around with my thumb up my ass (metaphorically speaking, of course...)! :shaking:

RC

09rubicon
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Damn!!! Everyone went! I was sitting around with my thumb up my ass (metaphorically speaking, of course...)! :shaking:

RC

You were invited, you just happened to be more concerned about your build and nursing that phoney leg injury of yours:beer:

cruzcode
07-20-2010, 07:48 AM
You were invited, you just happened to be more concerned about your build and nursing that phoney leg injury of yours:beer:

Ouch!!! That stung a bit! Hey, but just remember, that little Girl Scout sure learned her lesson about not forking over the Thin Mints and Samoas... I taught her! :thefinger:

RC

09rubicon
07-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Ouch!!! That stung a bit! Hey, but just remember, that little Girl Scout sure learned her lesson about not forking over the Thin Mints and Samoas... I taught her! :thefinger:

RC

Hell yeah, you have no idea what I would do for Samoas!!!! Sorry to hear you slipped in her blood after pulverizing her!:beer:

cruzcode
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Hell yeah, you have no idea what I would do for Samoas!!!! Sorry to hear you slipped in her blood after pulverizing her!:beer:

Okay this is cool. I've been getting compliments on the rig lately, after the last round of mods. It's really been flattering. Well, it got even cooler today... I ran into the mother of the girl scout that I beat down (for holding out on the Thin Mints & Samoas), and she said she liked my rig so much, she asked me to sign her breasts with a Sharpie. "Dirty" went on one breast, and "RC" went on the other...

(Gee, I have a great imagination.)

RC

09rubicon
07-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Okay this is cool. I've been getting compliments on the rig lately, after the last round of mods. It's really been flattering. Well, it got even cooler today... I ran into the mother of the girl scout that I beat down (for holding out on the Thin Mints & Samoas), and she said she liked my rig so much, she asked me to sign her breasts with a Sharpie. "Dirty" went on one breast, and "RC" went on the other...

(Gee, I have a great imagination.)

RC

Vicodin is one hell of a drug!