RC

cruzcode
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
LAST NINE MONTHS: [PHASE COMPLETED]

AirAid CAI
aFe Throttle Body Spacer
aFe Cat-Back Exhaust
Superchips Flashpaq (uninstalled)
RROR Skid Plate System (w/ Evap + Air-Tank Option)
Viair Ultra-Duty OBA w/ custom built manifold
sPOD
BDS 4.5 Coil Spring Lift -- SOLD!!!
35 x 12.50 x 17 Pro-Comp Extreme MTs (SOLD)
Hanson 66" Full Size Front Bumper (FOR SALE) -- SOLD!!!
Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch w/ Synthetic Line -- SOLD!!!
Smittybilt Polished Hawse Fairlead -- SOLD!!!
PIAA 540 Extreme White Driving Lights (KC Windshield Mounts) -- MOVED TO CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER!
Poly Performance Fire Extinguisher Mount
H3R Chrome 2.5 lb Halgaurd Fire Extinguisher
One-Off Fab Compressor Mount
Cobra 75 w/ External Speaker / 3' Firestick / Teraflex Mount

LAST MONTH: [PHASE COMPLETED]

Toyo 37 x 13.50 x 17 Open Country Mud Terrains
River Raider Off-Road Narrow Width Tube Fenders
TODAY (7/9/10): [PHASE COMPLETED]

Rock Krawler 5.5 Triple Threat Long-Arm Lift -- REPLACED BDS Coil Spring Lift
Rock Krawler Tie-Rod
Bilstein 5100's
Fox Steering Stablizer
Poly Performance/Synergy Upper Track Bar Bracket
Poly Performance/Synergy Lower Track Bar Bracket
MONDAY (7/12/10): [PHASE COMPLETED]

Superior 35-spline Chromoly Axles (Rear)
ARB Locker 35-spline
5.38 Gears
Overhaul Bearing Kit
Coast 1310 Driveshaft
ARB Differential Cover (painted Satin Black w/ Clearcoat)
Removal of front driveshaft to go 2WD until front-end is ordered, delivered, and installed
TUESDAY (9/14/10): [PHASE COMPLETED]

Dynatrac Pro-Rock 44 w/ Pro-Steers -- Ordered & coordinated from Poly Performance. These guys are outstanding!
ARB Locker
RCVs
5.38 Gears
Reid Racing Knuckles
Coast 1310 Driveshaft
RROR Modification to Evap & Air-Tank Skid to work with RK Lift
Braided Lines for my OBA to my ARBs...
B&M Transmission Cooler & Nifty Grill Mesh
CURRENT PHASE: [CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS]

Roll Cage (Poly, PSC, or sometype of "full option" that is not yet available)
Another 2.5 lb Fire Extinguisher and Poly Mount
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Front Bumper (with D-Ring mounts, but without any attachments)
5150 Fabrication (http://5150fabrication.com/) Custom Stinger with support tubes designed by RC & 5150 -- INSTALLED!!
Lightforce Stryker 170 HID Lights -- INSTALLED!!
Warn 95cti Winch -- INSTALLED!!
Viking Synthetic Winch Line 3/8" x 100' (Orange) with Polished Safety Thimble -- INSTALLED!!
Poison Spyder Black Hawse Fairlead -- INSTALLED!!
Poison Spyder Fairlead Light Mounts (for PIAA's) -- INSTALLED!!
Aeroforce Gauge w/ Pod of sometype
Vision X LED Rock lights -- INSTALLED!!
Lighter weight, cooler (temp), hood
Ahem... cough, cough... A GM LS!!! - self-installed by DirtyRC of course.
Performance Brake Pads, and perhaps rotors
Hella European Replacement Headlights
EVO Rocker Rails
Beadlocks (TBD)
39" Meats (TBD)
Wicked Stereo -- TBPO (To blow panties off...) -- In progress...
It's getting ready!!! :bounce:
RC

Broncojohn
07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Looks like fun.

cruzcode
07-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Looks like fun.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my 4.5" BDS Coil Spring Lift, but I've been wanting the RK setup for a long time...

In fact, I wanted it so badly, I changed it in my signature as soon as I bought it, before it was in! (I know, I know...) :bounce:

RC

rubirobv
07-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I hate you ;) . Like my boss always says, " Go Big Or Go Home."

cruzcode
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I hate you ;) . Like my boss always says, " Go Big Or Go Home."

Don't hate, appreciate. :thefinger: I can't wait to test out this RK system!

I'm just hoping I can pick up the rig from the exhaust & alignment shop, so I don't have to ride a 10-speed to meet you guys at Carnegie tomorrow for Tri-Tip!

RC

cruzcode
07-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Oh and by the way, my "build" just got me banned from jk-forum!!! I couldn't wait to let everyone know about the mods that have finally been made, so we can get some wheeling time in, well apparently that isn't a good thing.

I'm still trying to figure out why, but apparently on jk-forum they don't want you to discuss your "builds" with the rest of the community! I was already 90/10 JKO to jkforum, so now that ratio went to 100/0!

Unbelievable. :shaking:

RC

StubEXrube
07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh and by the way, my "build" just got me banned from jk-forum!!! I couldn't wait to let everyone know about the mods that have finally been made, so we can get some wheeling time in, well apparently that isn't a good thing.

I'm still trying to figure out why, but apparently on jk-forum they don't want you to discuss your "builds" with the rest of the community! I was already 90/10 JKO to jkforum, so now that ratio went to 100/0!

RC

Why in the HELL do the sheep keep going back to the watering hole to drink that kool-aid???? :shaking:

Fantastic build, man! That is a SICK list of mods. :beer:

rubirobv
07-10-2010, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=StubEXrube;480634]Why in the HELL do the sheep keep going back to the watering hole to drink that kool-aid???? :shaking: QUOTE]

Because they are sheep and Jim Jones over there truely believes that he knows whats best for his flock. That they are not capable of rational thought so he must show the way. It's really very sick. :puke:

TEXASKEV
07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Why in the HELL do the sheep keep going back to the watering hole to drink that kool-aid???? :shaking:

Because they are sheep and Jim Jones over there truely believes that he knows whats best for his flock. That they are not capable of rational thought so he must show the way. It's really very sick. :puke:

That entire site exist just so that dick can get free parts and sell ad space. He couldn't care less about helping the JK comunity. A guy should be able to talk about any parts, no mater if they support the site or not. I'm so glad that I'm not on that site anymore.

Sorry about the hijack. OP - Sick build man! Good work, can't wait to see more pics.

cruzcode
07-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Fantastic build, man! That is a SICK list of mods. :beer:

I would go over to that forum periodically, because there are a lot of good threads on how to get stuff done. I didn't get all caught up in the brew-ha-ha of the battle of the forums. Well recently, Way-of-Loser, got into a debate with me on my appropriate reply to an OP asking about skid plates. It was beginning to become clear to me, on why so many people have left jk-*****.com... He wants to control content, and manipulate what information people are fed, so it benefits him, his close band of merry idiots, and the vendors that support him. Then today, I proudly post up my build that has taken me so long to complete, and I get a PM stating that I am trolling and have been banned forever. I haven't "trolled" anything, and had no alternate motive in posting my "build" post. Unbelievable. :thefinger:

When I first joined both forums, it was funny because it just "feels" different here at JKO (and Rob and I share this feeling). It feels like a great place, where people are real, and that the members want you to be here, to learn, teach, network, make friends, and enjoy the forum. You definitely do not get that feeling over there. Over there, you get the "big brother is watching feeling," which doesn't inspire the "community feel."

Anyway, enough bitching... I was 90/10 JKO to the other forum, and now and always will be 100% JKO. :D

Thanks for the compliment on the build, as I'm really pumped at how well it's coming along!

RC

RotorHead
07-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Maybe you used words in your build like Poly Performance, River Raider, sPOD. Yup, that would make you a troll. :smokin:

Nice build. :beer:

StubEXrube
07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
^^^^ Very well said. I just had to add to what you said- "Over there you get the big brother is watching feeling which doesn't inspire the community feel"......that it also feels so damn sterile. Like you need to be wearing latex gloves to post.

Trolling! OMG! Unreal. :shaking:

Okay so we don't have to merge this....I'm out.

Please keep everyone posted on the build, and I hope you are still making progress recovering from your "superman/ Jesus/ walking on water" thingy. :D

:beer:

cruzcode
07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe you used words in your build like Poly Performance, River Raider, sPOD. Yup, that would make you a troll. :smokin:

Nice build. :beer:

Wowwwwwww!!!! I learned early on that the word "sPOD" wasn't allowed, but Poly, and RROR too??? Will "Jeep" or "USA" be next? The more I think of it, the more I'm glad I'm gone...

Re: the build, thanks! I'll be sending up some pics soon.

RC

^^^^ Very well said. I just had to add to what you said- "Over there you get the big brother is watching feeling which doesn't inspire the community feel"......that it also feels so damn sterile. Like you need to be wearing latex gloves to post.

Trolling! OMG! Unreal. :shaking:

Okay so we don't have to merge this....I'm out.

Please keep everyone posted on the build, and I hope you are still making progress recovering from your "superman/ Jesus/ walking on water" thingy. :D

Wow, I'll have to consider this "troll" thing...

But regarding my brief, unintentional, and failed attempt at walking on water, my leg is healing, but slowly. Although my leg hurts like a mutha f****, my spirits are high, and I'm staying as positive as possible, working hard through therapy.

I'll get some pics up of the build tomorrow!

RC

bodybrdng
07-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Very nice build. :beer:

Want to do my JK build next ? lol

seriously though :smokin:

prazbotta
07-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh and by the way, my "build" just got me banned from jk-forum!!!

Here I thought I was having DejaVu.
I just checked and I am not banned, so I hope I didn't have anything to do with it.

Again...... this build makes me feel like this guy:
http://coldeels.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/tyrone_biggums.jpg

Just so there is no confusion, I am the crackhead, his mods are the crack.

4x4x4
07-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Now you are building!!! You have a great list of mods!! Love the stuff you have done and the next list! Wow just wow.

Joneszj
07-11-2010, 09:32 PM

RC

Must've been the sPOD! :laughing:

prazbotta
07-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Must've been the sPOD! :laughing:

You can't even type 'sPOD' on that forum, even in PMs. It changes it to '****'. They do that to the link to the sPOD site as well.

cruzcode
07-12-2010, 07:00 AM
You can't even type 'sPOD' on that forum, even in PMs. It changes it to '****'. They do that to the link to the sPOD site as well.

Meh, I'm over it now. But I mean really? Why ban someone, just delete or strike-through that portion of the post, or send a PM to the user that the post has been deleted because of "blacklisted companies," or whatever. Sheesh, I mean pretty soon there will be a JK mod audit periodically to ensure that all jk-***** members haven't purchased or installed parts from Poly, RROR, sPOD, or the like! Okay, really, now I'm over it.

So I have to get more finished on the lift today at the shop, ao I won't have time for pics. There are some "fine-tuning items" that are required and some additional welding. But as promised, as soon as I get it back, I'll get the camera out and snap the pics, I'll tell you one thing, I'm not sure how this Rock Krawler lift functions yet, but it sure looks bad ass!

I'll be asking some of you guys about shocks and bump stop tuning soon... I hope that the weld-in, adjustable RK bump stops were the way to go. When I drove yesterday, the Bilstein 5100s seemed very soft in the rear, and kept smacking my bump stops against the axle everytime I hit any little bump. I know this means the bump stops probably need to be set higher, but I'm thinking the shocks shouldn't actuate that easily. I dunno. We'll see when I get it back...

RC

cruzcode
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
No pics today, because it had to the Transmission Shop for gears, axles, locker, and a driveshaft.

When I get it back, you guys will have pics. :bounce:

RC

cruzcode
07-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Awesome build!
IMHO, you're gonna want to add hydro assist to your list soon if you wheel with those 37's.
Ask me, I learned the hard way.

Neal,

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm not sure what has me apprehensive about a PSC or Redneck Ram, but it is something... It drives easily, but I know that wheeling with these 37s will be different. I've only wheeled it in 35's, which have just recently changed.

Was it mostly in tight spots? Rocks? Ruts? Where did you notice it the most?

Thanks!

RC

bodybrdng
07-14-2010, 04:30 AM
You should re-name to build to "The build that got me banned on JKF" :D

Awesome build bro. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the finished build

cruzcode
07-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Neal,

Hearing your story really helps. Yes, I'll be be seeing plenty of rocks and difficult trails. So let me ask you this, what do you notice/experience on the street with the low-speed PSC assist?

Thanks for your help,

RC

On the street, it always felt great.
I boiled my p/s fluid on Hell's Revenge in moab with stock 32's back when it was brand new.
Fast forward a couple of years.
First time out with 37's, the fluid boiled again and I lost all power assist on the first hard trail.
Big rock and steep incline.
Due to the rocks, I couldn't turn the steering wheel AT ALL without the power assist.
I finally made it to more level ground and it got better, but not until I tore up my front diff cover and tie rod because I couldn't steer.
When I got home, I called Lance at PSC.
I could have probably replaced the pump and limped it along until the next hard trail, but I manned up and fixed it right.

I'm not gonna lie, the low speed assist kinda sucks on the street, but I now have no worries on the trail.

I already had it on my "someday" list after 37's, but it only took one trip out to quickly change my mind.
I brought up the hydro on your build because I hadn't planned on buying it right away and kinda got in a bind when I found out I needed it.

I don't know you, or what you do with your jeep.
I just saw your build (awesome by the way) and noticed that you were potentially setting yourself up for a bad surprise if you wheel it in rocks.

Glad to help!

NorthGAX
07-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Nice build. So can you let me know what nursery you purchased your money tree from?:beer:

cruzcode
07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Nice build. So can you let me know what nursery you purchased your money tree from?:beer:

x2 on that one!

You guys have jokes! :grinpimp:

RC

cruzcode
07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Since you wheel your jeep, you're gonna NEED hydro assist sooner or later.

Off road, I experience very good steering.
It feels like you have regular sized tires and sideloading up against rocks is NOT a problem.

At highway speeds, it generally feels very stable.
The only problem is if you hit big bump and your hand accidently jerks the wheel at 70mph, it GOES

On road at low speeds (parking lots, etc) you sometimes don't have lots of assist.
I notice this the most backing out of my driveway and things like that)
It's not a big deal, but at times, there's definately less assist than "normal"

From what I've read, these are common things with hydro assist (especially if you don't replace all the compontents in your steering system)
I STRONGLY recommend the smaller diameter (street and trail) cylinder (ram) unless you flat out don't care how it handles on the street.
I've got the full PSC street & trail kit and I upgraded my entire return system to -8 (1/2")
I'm running a large 1/2" in/out hydro cooler aswell.

One little discussed benefit is that running any kind of hydro system is like having a super-steering stabilizer.
It REALLY reduces shakes/wobbles/wheel imbalences, etc.

FYI, I just saw that now PSC has a kit where you can send your gear box to them to upgrade when you buy their assist kit.
That saves you a pretty penny versus when I had to replace my perfectly good box with their ported box.
I really wish that was an option when I did mine, but oh well.

I'm sure some folks with more hydro experience can offer possible solutions to the symptoms I'm describing, but I'm ok with it as is.
I've got RCV's on my mind.

This was a very helpful reply, and I appreciate your comments. I'm pretty sure that you just sold me on a PSC system.

However I may have to wheel this season without it, as the money tree only has so many branches, and the Dynatrac & RCVs are going to chop off most of them!!!

RC

ORWJK
07-15-2010, 11:41 AM
looks great

cruzcode
07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Here are some pics of the lift and rear-end that have been finished...

Items left for this phase are:

Ship Kenny my Evap + Air-Tank Skid for fabrication to work w/ RK third link
Order and install PR44, RCVs, ARB, Reids, & Coast
Order stainless air lines for lockers
Adjust bump stops
WHEEL IT!
I'll have to fit the shots into a couple of posts, but this will give you a decent look at it so far. I'm happy with the way it's starting to come together...

RC

cruzcode
07-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Here are some more shots.

In this series, you'll also see a very small detail which I am particularly proud of; my painted ARB cover.

You know, it isn't the fabricated this, or the 1/4" fillet welded that, it is little things like the satisfaction of 600 grit sanding the brand new, red, ARB cover, painting it with three coats of Satin Black Rustoleum, sanding down the machined "ARB" letters to metal, and then spraying three coats of clear-coat over it, that seems to make me smile more. Don't know why, but I love it!

Here are some more pics...

RC

cruzcode
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
And the last few for now... :bounce:

RC

StubEXrube
07-18-2010, 11:39 PM
In this series, you'll also see a very small detail which I am particularly proud of; my painted ARB cover.

You know, it isn't the fabricated this, or the 1/4" fillet welded that, it is little things like the satisfaction of 600 grit sanding the brand new, red, ARB cover, painting it with three coats of Satin Black Rustoleum, sanding down the machined "ARB" letters to metal, and then spraying three coats of clear-coat over it, that seems to make me smile more. Don't know why, but I love it!

Ya know.......I wasn't even going to respond to your latest pics, but I saw the rear-end pic before I read any of your commentary. I just stared at the rear axle, thinking "Damn.....that diff cover looks wicked! It looks like he painted the red cover and sanded off the raised ARB. Looks totally awesome on that Jeep!"

Then I read your comment. :laughing:

I completely understand the satisfaction of doing those kinds of "signature" touches. Awesome build so far, and great attention to detail. Just a sick, sick looking JK.

sbron
07-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Excellent build! A really well-crafted Jeep! Looks even better in person. Please keep me posted about the axle install party.
Ron

cruzcode
07-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Ya know.......I wasn't even going to respond to your latest pics, but I saw the rear-end pic before I read any of your commentary. I just stared at the rear axle, thinking "Damn.....that diff cover looks wicked! It looks like he painted the red cover and sanded off the raised ARB. Looks totally awesome on that Jeep!"

Then I read your comment. :laughing:

I completely understand the satisfaction of doing those kinds of "signature" touches. Awesome build so far, and great attention to detail. Just a sick, sick looking JK.

That cracks me up. Well, I think it started when I was a kid. We're always trained to look first and read later.

Yeah, I was really pleased with how it came out. So pleased, that I said to myself, "Why doesn't ARB offer this as an option?" And the dollars and cents came into play, thinking of the "brand identification" that goes along with a red diff cover; if it's red and it's a diff cover, chances are it's an ARB and everybody knows it! I love red, it just doesn't belong on my rig.

Excellent build! A really well-crafted Jeep! Looks even better in person. Please keep me posted about the axle install party.
Ron

Thanks, Ron. Will do. I still haven't ordered it, so this will definitely be an August or early September project. Just in time for a cooler Rubicon run, perhaps.

Broncojohn
07-19-2010, 06:09 AM
That is sharp, definitely some nice touches.:)

.:eMETAL:.
07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
the build is really lookin great man!

usmcdoc14
07-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Looks nice .

Now step away from the tire shine :p

cruzcode
07-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Looks nice .

Now step away from the tire shine :p

I have absolutely NO idea, what you're referring to... :D

RC

Eugene
07-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Trailboss, the rigs looking good.:grinpimp:

Fnord5
07-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice build!
Wish I had even a small money tree. :bawling:

ORWJK
07-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Man...that looks sweet. when are you puttin the prorocks in?

cruzcode
07-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Trailboss, the rigs looking good.:grinpimp:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Why do you want me to roll my freshly outfitted rig?!?! :shaking:

RC

Nice build!
Wish I had even a small money tree. :bawling:

Hmmm... I'm not a gardener, so I couldn't tell ya. BUT, somebody will get to reap the benefits of all of the gear that I originally installed, then upgraded, and removed, which is sitting in my garage!

RC

Man...that looks sweet. when are you puttin the prorocks in?

I need to order it, but I have to wait for the money tree to grow a few more leaves first... Should be ordered in August, with a "Pro-Rock Installation Party" to be scheduled at my residence for all Nor-Cal JKOers, in late August or early September. Basically, it will be a reason for 90% of the people to stand around and drink beer, watching just a few work on my rig. Good times nonetheless!

RC :beer:

Alaska-HWY JK
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Installation party? Must be nice, everyone cleared the hell out of here after a bit of help unloading the axles. My oldest boy helped throw the old axles on the Rhino to haul them to the spare parts shed though.

SlvrJK
07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice build, the jk looks great.

07Rubi2dr
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Since you wheel your jeep, you're gonna NEED hydro assist sooner or later.

Off road, I experience very good steering.
It feels like you have regular sized tires and sideloading up against rocks is NOT a problem.

At highway speeds, it generally feels very stable.
The only problem is if you hit big bump and your hand accidently jerks the wheel at 70mph, it GOES

On road at low speeds (parking lots, etc) you sometimes don't have lots of assist.
I notice this the most backing out of my driveway and things like that)
It's not a big deal, but at times, there's definately less assist than "normal"

From what I've read, these are common things with hydro assist (especially if you don't replace all the compontents in your steering system)
I STRONGLY recommend the smaller diameter (street and trail) cylinder (ram) unless you flat out don't care how it handles on the street.
I've got the full PSC street & trail kit and I upgraded my entire return system to -8 (1/2")
I'm running a large 1/2" in/out hydro cooler aswell.

One little discussed benefit is that running any kind of hydro system is like having a super-steering stabilizer.
It REALLY reduces shakes/wobbles/wheel imbalences, etc.

FYI, I just saw that now PSC has a kit where you can send your gear box to them to upgrade when you buy their assist kit.
That saves you a pretty penny versus when I had to replace my perfectly good box with their ported box.
I really wish that was an option when I did mine, but oh well.

I'm sure some folks with more hydro experience can offer possible solutions to the symptoms I'm describing, but I'm ok with it as is.
I've got RCV's on my mind.
good info, one thing i dont understand is how come at low speeds on pavement the steering becomes difficult, yet at low speeds offroad its easier? how does that work? :beer:

cruzcode
07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Installation party? Must be nice, everyone cleared the hell out of here after a bit of help unloading the axles. My oldest boy helped throw the old axles on the Rhino to haul them to the spare parts shed though.

Yes, we have a GREAT JKO group in the East Bay, and everyone is extremely friendly, helpful, and willing to lend a hand. It's an awesome squad...

Hey, at least you had some Rhino transpo help! :D

RC

Nice build, the jk looks great.

Thanks! :beer:

RC

HITMONEY
07-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Looks pretty trick.. great build!

cruzcode
07-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Looks pretty trick.. great build!

Thanks, Hit. It's nowhere near your rig, but she's coming along, and I'm pleased...

RC

Marcy
07-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Ron

X2

I need to order it, but I have to wait for the money tree to grow a few more leaves first... Should be ordered in August, with a "Pro-Rock Installation Party" to be scheduled at my residence for all Nor-Cal JKOers, in late August or early September. Basically, it will be a reason for 90% of the people to stand around and drink beer, watching just a few work on my rig. Good times nonetheless!

RC :beer:

Can't wait!

cruzcode
07-21-2010, 11:32 PM
:beer: :beer: :beer:

RC

cruzcode
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Okay, it isn't another mod, but... the top and doors just HAD to come off this weekend!!! :bounce:

RC

Loki646
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Looks great, Cruz!

StubEXrube
08-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Looks great, Cruz!

X2. That tire/wheel combo looks bad-ass on a black Jeep. Needs more tire-shine though. :grinpimp:

cruzcode
08-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks, guys.

Regarding the tire shine, I know..., I know... It's a bad habit when it comes to wheeling. But, when it is clean, I like it to shine, and when it is dirty, I let it stay dirty.

You can't imagine the amount of shit I get from the locals!

RC

bodyguy
08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Looks good.

I would start planning the strengthening of the front axle housing and inner C's, just something to think about.

Jeep looks great

cruzcode
08-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Looks good.

I would start planning the strengthening of the front axle housing and inner C's, just something to think about.

Jeep looks great

Actually, I was planning on taking it across the sand off of one of the dunes at Pismo at about 75 mph, to make sure that the D30 goes out in style! :D

No, you're absolutely right. I'm planning on a Dynatrac PR44 with RCVs, but the money tree is currently in the process of growing some new leaves. Hopefully that will be strong enough to last with the 37's and a medium pedal...

RC

fourplyn
08-03-2010, 05:55 AM
Okay, it isn't another mod, but... the top and doors just HAD to come off this weekend!!! :bounce:

RC

Your rig looks sick with out the top on. I've always like those wheels..

cruzcode
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Your rig looks sick with out the top on. I've always like those wheels..

Thanks, bro! I cannot quite explain how happy I have been my entire week, now that the top and doors are off. I don't even know what to do.

If I hadn't recently installed Superiors, ARB, 5.38s, etc. in the rear (without doing the front yet, and therefore removing the front driveshaft), I would still be in 4WD and able to enjoy the friggin' summer!

Taking off the top AND the doors, takes me back to the freedom of motorcycling--it's unbelievable!

RC

cruzcode
08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
POLL:

Do I keep the "X" emblems on, far after the rig is built more than an "X"???

OR

Do I roll without the "X" emblems, and keep everyone guessing?

RC

StubEXrube
08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
POLL:

Do I keep the "X" emblems on, far after the rig is built more than an "X"???

OR

Do I roll without the "X" emblems, and keep everyone guessing?

RC

Options:

Get rid of it = mysterious

Keep it = liar

Change it to X-TREME = jkf

The old school Jeep emblem would look cool imo, but geeze....that Jeep is already bad-ass and getting badder with each new "bud on the tree". You could do a "SDMF is my love-toy" sticker and it would STILL be bad-ass......although slightly more gay. :smokin:

cruzcode
08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Options:

Get rid of it = mysterious

Keep it = liar

Change it to X-TREME = jkf

The old school Jeep emblem would look cool imo, but geeze....that Jeep is already bad-ass and getting badder with each new "bud on the tree". You could do a "SDMF is my love-toy" sticker and it would STILL be bad-ass......although slightly more gay. :smokin:

LMFAO!!!! :laughing2: :laughing2: :laughing2:

RC

andrelopez99
08-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I agree w/ stubs -

X'TREME cheddar.

Debagge and put Xmen logo
http://gallery.egyptsons.com/data/media/40/X-Men Symbol.jpg (http://gallery.egyptsons.com)

Sorry if it's So fawking big, best I could find (liked).

cruzcode
08-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Holy shit. For a minute when I saw that pic, I thought that I was looking at a newbie's pic of one of their lugnuts, in 24,000 x 54,000 pixels! :laughing:

RC

andrelopez99
08-10-2010, 04:28 AM
:D - thanks :shaking:

UGET IT
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Great looking JK...........thats about where I am going with mine.

JocKy
08-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Great looking rig! Dig the extra effort put into the dif cover! Any plans to paint the exhaust now that every other car on the road can see it?

cruzcode
08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Great looking JK...........thats about where I am going with mine.

Thanks, it is a work in progress. Now, if I could actually just scratch up enough coin to install a front-end! The summer is slipping by, and I'm in 2WD going crazy... :bawling:

RC

Great looking rig! Dig the extra effort put into the dif cover! Any plans to paint the exhaust now that every other car on the road can see it?

It's funny you mentioned the exhaust. Apparently, my cat-back system, doesn't "like" the articulation in Rock Krawler's 5.5" lift, as it is denting the f**k out of it. So, it appears I'm going to have to run smoke stacks, or re-mount the muffler somewhere else. Then, where in the hell is the air-tank and evaporator going to go? Back to the drawing board!

RC

Diablo169
08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Looks good, but my only concern is that installing a cage in listed under "Someday"

With all that money thrown at it I would work on beefing the cage up a bit. Ask me how I know:bawling:

cruzcode
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM

You know, I just re-read that, and that is really f***ing funny! :beer:

RC

cruzcode
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Looks good, but my only concern is that installing a cage in listed under "Someday"

With all that money thrown at it I would work on beefing the cage up a bit. Ask me how I know:bawling:

That's very fair advice. Actually, I really WOULD like to hear your story, if you have sometime.

As far as a cage, I don't have the coin for a custom fabricated kit right now, and I'm not an enormous fan of "sport cages." I'm sure they add some strength--I'm not denying that, but if I am going to do a cage, I want it to protect me in a roll. I was looking at Poly's DIY kit perhaps...

Thoughts?

RC

Marcy
08-24-2010, 07:51 PM
When I saw this thread at the top of the page I was excited cause I was thinking you we're posting dates for the install party.... man was I bummed :laughing:

cruzcode
08-24-2010, 07:58 PM
When I saw this thread at the top of the page I was excited cause I was thinking you we're posting dates for the install party.... man was I bummed :laughing:

I'm so close... I feel it coming... :D

RC

JocKy
09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Any flex shots? I'm interested to see the 5.5" with 37's flex!

cruzcode
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Any flex shots? I'm interested to see the 5.5" with 37's flex!

Not yet. I'll be getting the Pro-Rock ordered and installed this month, and when it's all said and done, then we'll get the bump stops adjusted, and go and flex her out. I'm trying to get it all done before a get together out at Carnegie on 10/2.

I'll keep you updated though, and will post some pics once it's done.

RC

cruzcode
09-14-2010, 08:59 PM
As of today, 9/14/10, the eagle has been ordered... The rest is up to the pro's at DynaTrac...

I'll be "patiently waiting" for progress reports, pictures, and a quick delivery date. Does this guy ------> :bounce: look like he is "patient", though???

RC

P.S. Pending delivery date confirmation, the "Installation Party" will be scheduled...

09rubicon
09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
:bounce:About damned time!!!!!!!!!:bounce::beer::beer:

andrelopez99
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Good call..:beer:

I wish I was there for the install party..

cruzcode
09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Andre, just setup Southwest Airlines to "DING" on your desktop, so you can find a cheap ass flight!

RC

andrelopez99
09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Hey, I like helping, Ill grab my lawn chair, beer and supervise.. :D. I ain't the sharpest tool when it comes to mech., but I'll figure it out.

cruzcode
09-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Hey, I like helping, Ill grab my lawn chair, beer and supervise.. :D. I ain't the sharpest tool when it comes to mech., but I'll figure it out.

Well that's exactly the concept of the "Installation Party", Andre... One to three people actually doing work, and 10-15 standing around with beer and tri-tip, talking about how the people that are "working" are actually doing!

RC

09rubicon
09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Well that's exactly the concept of the "Installation Party", Andre... One to three people actually doing work, and 10-15 standing around with beer and tri-tip, talking about how the people that are "working" are actually doing!

RC

Well since I have some sort of mechanical knowledge, and no major injuries....I guess I will be one of the three actually installing. Just save me some tri-tip!

Marcy
09-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Why are you trying to steal my job? :laughing:

andrelopez99
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Why are you trying to steal my job? :laughing:

Medical field, it's first responder.. You bring the beer, I'll bring fajitas and mesquite. ;)

Andre..

cruzcode
09-16-2010, 08:25 AM
So where did all of this stealing and first responding, come from???

Disclaimer: FYI, there will NOT be an A.E.D. at the "Installation Party", so if someone goes into Cardiac Arrest, CPR will have to do, unless someone brings jumper cables and alligator clips for nipples!

RC

andrelopez99
09-16-2010, 09:54 AM
So where did all of this stealing and first responding, come from???

Disclaimer: FYI, there will NOT be an A.E.D. at the "Installation Party", so if someone goes into Cardiac Arrest, CPR will have to do, unless someone brings jumper cables and alligator clips for nipples!

RC

Opps, Busted, sorry RC!

cruzcode
09-17-2010, 09:46 PM
The Reid Racing Knuckles arrived today. Now I will have plenty of time to mask that orange powder-coating, with satin black like the ARB diff cover...

:bounce:

RC

StubEXrube
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
I urge you to get rid of those Reid knuckles. They are not for you. I will not go into detail, but there are some issues with these, and because I am a descent person, I will offer to take these off your hands. You need not pay me to take them. I will do this out of sheer kindness. Just pay the shipping, and I will send you my address. No, no....no need to thank me. I'm just that kind of guy. :)

cruzcode
09-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I urge you to get rid of those Reid knuckles. They are not for you. I will not go into detail, but there are some issues with these, and because I am a descent person, I will offer to take these off your hands. You need not pay me to take them. I will do this out of sheer kindness. Just pay the shipping, and I will send you my address. No, no....no need to thank me. I'm just that kind of guy. :)

Holy shit, when I first started to read your post, I was like "What in the hell is wrong with Reid knuckles???" Nicely done... :laughing2:

:thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger:

RC

Alaska-HWY JK
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
I like my Reids.

StubEXrube
09-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Holy shit, when I first started to read your post, I was like "What in the hell is wrong with Reid knuckles???" Nicely done...

RC

........damn. :pissed:

:D

Awesome build on this JK. :beer:

cruzcode
09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Stu. Here are some teaser pics...

The Reids are now B-L-A-C-K, (the way they should have come from the factory), and will get a coat of "clear" so they wash off dirt/mud easily. :D

I mean if you have a sports car, or a show truck, I understand having painted calipers showing through your rims, but "orange knuckles", really???

RC

Marcy
09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

:laughing2:

cruzcode
09-19-2010, 05:52 PM
I like my Reids.

Anything weird I need to know about the install? I have the Rock Krawler HD Tie-Rod, fyi.

RC

Marcy
09-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Anything weird I need to know about the install? I have the Rock Krawler HD Tie-Rod, fyi.

RC

From what I've read (that you post) you probably shouldn't install after playing beer pong... Unless, you are on my team.

cruzcode
09-19-2010, 08:22 PM
From what I've read (that you post) you probably shouldn't install after playing beer pong... Unless, you are on my team.

Okay, it's a deal. I'll be on your team..., but I'm not wearing pink, and that is final.

RC

Marcy
09-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Okay, it's a deal. I'll be on your team..., but I'm not wearing pink, and that is final.

RC

I have a black beer pong table that I just realized should probably be spray painted pink zebra print!

Alaska-HWY JK
09-19-2010, 08:57 PM

RC

I have a Prorock 44 with Prosteers and RCVs. You probably read usmcdocs post about Prosteers and RCVs (if not you should) anyway you put the RCVs in then the knuckles. Nothing weird, just a little hard to torque the top balljoint. Get the specs from Dynatrac and take them up in steps as they specify. I have them here somewhere but not handy.
You'll like that setup. I have the Poly Performance highsteer stuff, it works great.

cruzcode
09-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a Prorock 44 with Prosteers and RCVs. You probably read usmcdocs post about Prosteers and RCVs (if not you should) anyway you put the RCVs in then the knuckles. Nothing weird, just a little hard to torque the top balljoint. Get the specs from Dynatrac and take them up in steps as they specify. I have them here somewhere but not handy.
You'll like that setup. I have the Poly Performance highsteer stuff, it works great.

Sounds good... Yes, I've seen Doc's write-up, and it is very helpful.

Thanks for the tips. I'm still a little uncertain about my setup with the Reid's, but I'll figure it out before the install.

RC

cruzcode
09-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a black beer pong table that I just realized should probably be spray painted pink zebra print!

How about my half of our side, stays black, and your half of our side gets painted zebra pink? A decent compromise, I suppose?

RC

andrelopez99
09-19-2010, 10:33 PM

I don't have the REID's, but I installed the pro steers, knuckles (torques to specs), with the boot in between the C and knuckle, slide the RCV Through the knuckle, boot and into the axle, use rubber mallet to get the CV into the boot.

No cutting to upper ball joint.

No install issues..

cruzcode
09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Okay, so I'm totally stoked! :bounce:

I got a call from Bear at River Raider Off-Road, and he told me that Kenny successfully fabbed my RROR skid, to still hold my Viair 2.5 gallon tank, the evap, AND clear the Rock Krawler rear third/upper control arm!!!

It should be shipping back to me right about now. Maybe I'll have it installed with one locker functional for Carnegie on 10/2!

Once received & installed, I'll get some pics up here on the thread.

RC

andrelopez99
09-24-2010, 09:40 PM
SWEET..

cruzcode
09-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Lookie what we have here...

Reid Knuckles, painted... SEXY!
RCV Axle Shafts in box... SEXY!
RROR Custom Fabbed Evap + Air-Tank Skid, and Fabbed Viair Air-Tank... SEXY!!!
Painted foot, around flip-flop, because I was so excited to touch-up the River Raider skid with some black paint... PRICELESS.

We're getting very, very, very, close to an install party. Thean told me that DynaTrac is crating, and shipping on Friday! :bounce:

RC

StubEXrube
09-30-2010, 08:43 AM
I say to paint the toenails pink with black french-tips but....whatever.

Oh.....and don't be a hero. Let Marcy do all the heavy lifting. :innocent:

That's gonna be one sick axle. :beer:

Marcy
10-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I say to paint the toenails pink with black french-tips but....whatever.

Oh.....and don't be a hero. Let Marcy do all the heavy lifting. :innocent:

That's gonna be one sick axle. :beer:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Why me?

cruzcode
11-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Okay, for those of you who have either anxiously or patiently awaited this date, the "Installation Party" for my DynaTrac PR44 has been set! I'll be taking delivery tomorrow!

Date: Saturday, November 20th
Time: Ass-early, to ass-late (Translation 9:00 am - ??)

NOTE: Two venues would have been preferred for location, resources, etc. Shaffer's Off-Road (thank you, Mike), and Jason Mac's Pro-Line Shop (thank you, Jason), however due to either Baja 1000 commitments, or time alotted, we were unable to make the Installation Party work at those locations for this particular install. Thanks to both Mike Shaffer and Jason Mac for either offering or being open to using their respective shops!

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES:

rubirobv
Eugene
sbron
Marcy
09Rubicon
caligirl
the rest to be determined...
SCOPE OF INSTALL: All phases of the D30 for PR44 axle swap, and related items, including but not limited to, wrenching, observing, talking crap, consuming BBQ/beverages, and/or socializing. Also, I will be trying to document & photograph this install, for an a write-up on JKO/Pirate.

Phase One:

Remove D30
Install Reid Racing Knuckles on Pro-Rock 44
Install Poly Performance Upper Track Bar bracket on frame rail
Install Rock Krawler UCA Johnny Joint
Install RCVs (measure clearance and determine if "grooving" is necessary)
Install Brakes from D30 onto PR44
Install Coast 1310 Driveshaft/Plate
Install assembled Pro-Rock into JK
Install second RK upper control-arm
Flip ball-joints on Rock Krawler HD Tie-Rod
Set Steering Stops on Reids
Fill with diff fluid
Check connections for ESC
Test braking, steering, and highway speed
Drink a couple of man-sodas
Phase Two:

Run/Install Stainless/Braided Lines from Air Manifold/Solenoids (pre-installed) to respective ARB lockers (front & rear)
Re-Install custom fabricated RROR skid plate for Evap + Modified Viair Air-Tank, and re-connect wiring and supply line
Test OBA system for leaks and pressure
Test ARB lockers
Phase Three:

Set bump stops (front & rear)
Mark over-axle pipe where it needs to be bent/modified (hits track bar)
Remaining Items to be Coordinated:

Food & Drink: I do not have a barbeque. If someone has one, and wants to bring one, then that is fine. If not, I have a kitchen. I don't know how to use it, but someone else is more than welcome to it. Based on replies & suggestions, I will buy appropriate food & drink...
Furniture: I just moved into this apartment, and haven't even had my sofa/loveseat delivered. Although furniture wouldn't really help, since the Install Party is primarily in my garage! If you can, bring a camping chair!
Tools: I have a lean amount of hand tools, a brand new torque wrench, (4) 4-ton jack stands, and a new 3-ton hydraulic jack. I do not have an electric impact gun. If you have one, and feel like bringing it, you'll be a hero. I "think" I still have my pry bar, and a small hammer. If you have a small sledge, please bring. 35mm axle nut socket... I've ordered one today, but it may or may not arrive by Friday. If not, I'll need to borrow one (Brian you said you have one?) If anyone wants to bring a couple of extra rachets, that may help, so we don't all have to share ONE.
Brunettes, Blondes, & Redheads: We have (1) redhead confirmed, (1) blonde confirmed, and sadly enough, we do not yet have (1) brunette confirmed. This is serious guys. Someone needs to step up.
Man-Sodas: I'll purchase some man-sodas, but if there is a particular persuasion that you prefer, please bring it along.
Volunteer for Operating iPod for Tunes: Marcy??? Leesa???
Volunteer for Documenting Install: Marcy??? Leesa???
Volunteer for Photographing Install: Marcy??? Leesa???
Volunteer for Interjecting Smartass Comments: Scott (09Rubicon)???
Anyway, this should be a good time! I have music, a kitchen, a garage, a JK, a bunch of parts, and a lot of sarcasm. I'm thinking if we mix all of this together, an "installation" should occur!

In addition to those confirmed above, this "Installation Party" is open to all JKO members. Simply PM me, and confirm attendance, and I'll shoot you my address. Thanks to my friends who have agreed to come down and help with the install, and I'll look forward to meeting some new friends as well!

RC

UGET IT
11-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Great progress! I am headed home from NJ in a few weeks so I will be stoked to work on mine soon. I scored a Ford F-150 RC Dana 44 that I will be building for my JK.

KC

cruzcode
11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Great progress! I am headed home from NJ in a few weeks so I will be stoked to work on mine soon. I scored a Ford F-150 RC Dana 44 that I will be building for my JK.

KC

Nice! Yeah, it was great to finally the axle today. The thing looks like a thing of beauty.

RC

cruzcode
11-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Look what arrived today!

RC

BryGuy
11-18-2010, 06:06 AM
I noticed you "uninstalled" you flashpaq.... what's the reason?

cruzcode
11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I noticed you "uninstalled" you flashpaq.... what's the reason?

Yes, for service. I had to take it in to get the starter warrantied out (which is surprising, since I've had to run custom exhaust due to the lift).

If you leave the program in when it goes to service, the dealer will flash the CPU, and it will be unaccessible moving forward. If you remove your program, reset to stock, take it in, and then go to reprogram, it works fine.

RC

fourplyn
11-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Yes, for service. I had to take it in to get the starter warrantied out (which is surprising, since I've had to run custom exhaust due to the lift).

If you leave the program in when it goes to service, the dealer will flash the CPU, and it will be unaccessible moving forward. If you remove your program, reset to stock, take it in, and then go to reprogram, it works fine.

RC

Good to know when I buy one.

cruzcode
11-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Good to know when I buy one.

And you should... it is, dollar for dollar, one of the best mods I've made to my rig. Tremendous difference.

RC

cruzcode
11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Houston, we have a problem...

We had a fun time horsing around, BBQing, and installing the axle yesterday. The axle is installed into the rig, and the passenger side RCV, Reid Knuckle, brakes, etc. are all in place. Perfect. Unfortunately, the driver's side RCV shaft, seems to be too long, because when it bottoms out into the carrier, the CV portion, is too far out within the C, well over the ball joint, and doesn't go in further.

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong. I'm going to talk with Thean at Poly (who I ordered this axle through), RCV, and maybe Dynatrac, to figure what in the flank is wrong with this.

Very discouraging, but I'm optimistic that I'll get this resolved, and hopefully quickly.

I am WIDE OPEN to advice, thoughts, experience, etc., on the same. (NOTE: Oh and yes, I did trim 1/8" of the end of the Pro-Steer ball-joints as documented in Doc's write-up. It was absolutely necessary to get the knuckle on the C's.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, guys.

(And girls too, Leesa & Marcy!) :)

RC

andrelopez99
11-21-2010, 01:47 PM
How much you off, you might have to shave abit off to inner shaft To fit...

cruzcode
11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
How much you off, you might have to shave abit off to inner shaft To fit...

Cutting the RCV shaft? Really???

RC

andrelopez99
11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
@ the spline, I had to shave off 1/8 +/- on my rear currie shafts, my axle wasn't the standard length, no one is perfect....

It can happen, but wait to see what RCV says..

cruzcode
11-21-2010, 06:49 PM
The shafts have to be a different length than stock if u have an ARB. That's the problem. RCV and dynatrac should know this and make them the correct length for that application.

Drew,

Thanks. I think you're right. I spoke with Scott from Dynatrac, and he had me measure inside the axle tubes from the carrier to the end of the tube on both sides, subtracting that number from the total length of the axles, respectively.

Here is what I came up with:

Driver Side Stats:

Carrier to Tube-End = 16.1875"
Axle Length = 26.250"
-------------------------------------------
Difference = 10.0625" (Axle Shown)

**Greased Axle Spline Travel = 1.125"

Passenger Side Stats:

Carrier to Tube-End = 31.3125"
Axle Length = 39.750"
-------------------------------------------
Difference = 8.4375" (Axle Shown)

**Greased Axle Spline Travel = 1.125"

NOTE: The passenger side axle shaft slides all the way into the tube where the boot is seated up against the axle tube.

TECHNICAL SYNOPSIS:
The greased axle spline travel on both sides, is identical. Each 30-spline axle engages (or slides) into the carrier smoothly. This tells me that there are no obstructions in the carrier, carrier splines, etc.
Since there is a difference in the amount of axle shown (variance between measurement of carrier to axle tube, vs. overall axle length, I'm assuming that the axles are incorrect.
If the axles are indeed incorrect, I'll need to see if the wrong ones were ordered by Poly, or filled by RCV.
Drew, Scott (Dynatrac), or RCV, or anyone with an opinion on the matter, please feel free to chime in. I need to come up with a solution, and I appreciate everyone's feedback in advance.

Thanks,

Rick

Mikey's Rubi
11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Does your stock shaft fit?

cruzcode
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Does your stock shaft fit?

No, because I have a stock D30, that I was upgrading to a Pro-Rock 44.

However, we've determined that the wrong axle shafts were ordered/filled, so RCV overnighted me the correct axle shafts, and I should have them this evening.

RC

cruzcode
11-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Whenever I go around a clover-leaf (on or off a freeway), even if I'm only going 10 mph with my ESP button OFF, my anti-lock brakes engage, making it squirrely as hell to control (mostly at higher speeds).

I cannot figure out how in the hell to fix this. Am I the first lifted Jeep with 37's for this to happen to?

All help or advice is appreciated!

RC

StubEXrube
11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Whenever I go around a clover-leaf (on or off a freeway), even if I'm only going 10 mph with my ESP button OFF, my anti-lock brakes engage, making it squirrely as hell to control (mostly at higher speeds).

I cannot figure out how in the hell to fix this. Am I the first lifted Jeep with 37's for this to happen to?

All help or advice is appreciated!

RC

After we pulled my front and rear D44's out to do some welding- trusses, sleeves, brackets, etc.....we were getting BAS/ ESP/ traction control lights like crazy. Same symptoms that you are having.

Searched anything and everything that it might be. In the end...it was one bad wheel speed sensor on the rear. Cost $12.99 for a new one. Not a single issue since replaced.

cruzcode
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Stub. How long are the wiring harnesses for these sensors? The front seem like they are ridiculously long.

I noticed this happened after I installed the Rock Krawler lift and gears/rear axles (with new tone rings).

Perplexing...

RC

StubEXrube
11-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Not as ridiculously long. :)

If you want inches....you'll have to give me until tomorrow <---although that sounds kinda bad. :D

jtrain
11-24-2010, 05:07 AM
The rear sensors don't have harnesses. The harness plugs into the sensor, but is not part of the rear sensor.

cruzcode
11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Fortunately, the RCVs came in tonight, and Rob came all the way out to help with "Install Party - Part II"!!!

Unfortunately, we did not finish. We were able to get the axles in, the knuckles, unit bearings, brakes, sway bar, and tie rod on, but we're having trouble with the drag link, since it's a flipped setup with the Reid Racing Knuckles. Also, we blew a tie-rod boot, trying to pry it off of the Pitman Arm, so I'll need to get a new one Friday morning. Also, we realized that Extreme Motorsports left my BDS Suspension "dropped Pitman Arm" on my steering box, instead of putting the factory one back on, with the new lift. SO, my steering geometry is messed up, and I need to get an Impact Gun, Air-Compressor, and socket large enough to remove the Pitman Arm nut, to be able to re-install the factory Pitman Arm.

So... what does all of this mean? It means that we're closer than we've ever been, but lack a part, power/air tools, a large socket, and another day's worth of time and help, in order to finish this beast.

It's really coming together, but I'll admit that I'm disappointed that it isn't finished yet.

MANY THANKS FOR ROB FOR COMING OUT AGAIN!!!

Next up, "Install Party -- Part III" scheduled for Friday, November 26th in Turlock! :D

RC

StubEXrube
11-25-2010, 01:36 AM
How long are the wiring harnesses for these sensors? The front seem like they are ridiculously long.

The rear sensors don't have harnesses. The harness plugs into the sensor, but is not part of the rear sensor.

Kinda confused here. Is this the part that you are referring to? It could also be that you need to recalibrate the ABS module at the dealership.

andrelopez99
11-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Fortunately, the RCVs came in tonight, and Rob came all the way out to help with "Install Party - Part II"!!!

Unfortunately, we did not finish. We were able to get the axles in, the knuckles, unit bearings, brakes, sway bar, and tie rod on, but we're having trouble with the drag link, since it's a flipped setup with the Reid Racing Knuckles. Also, we blew a tie-rod boot, trying to pry it off of the Pitman Arm, so I'll need to get a new one Friday morning. Also, we realized that Extreme Motorsports left my BDS Suspension "dropped Pitman Arm" on my steering box, instead of putting the factory one back on, with the new lift. SO, my steering geometry is messed up, and I need to get an Impact Gun, Air-Compressor, and socket large enough to remove the Pitman Arm nut, to be able to re-install the factory Pitman Arm.

So... what does all of this mean? It means that we're closer than we've ever been, but lack a part, power/air tools, a large socket, and another day's worth of time and help, in order to finish this beast.

It's really coming together, but I'll admit that I'm disappointed that it isn't finished yet.

MANY THANKS FOR ROB FOR COMING OUT AGAIN!!!

Next up, "Install Party -- Part III" scheduled for Friday, November 26th in Turlock! :D

RC

You don't need all that crap, use a breaker bar, pitman arm puller and right size socket. Most of those things you can barrow @ Autozone or orielly's

cruzcode
11-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Okay, we've made some progress!!! First, I'd like thank Rob AGAIN for coming out to wrench today with me. It definitely helps to have reinforcements! Thanks, Rob!

The rig is done with the big stuff... the tires are on, track bar & drag link adjusted, suspension and steering are torqued, diff filled with fluid, etc.

However, here is the remaining and interesting list of items, before I can take her wheeling again:

Alignment (tomorrow, if 4WP in Ripon is open)
Wider heim joint from Rock Krawler for Track Bar (at axle)
U-Bolts for Coast Driveshaft (didn't come with shaft from Coast or Poly)
Drop skid system and install front Coast driveshaft
Find out why the Poly Track Bar bracket for SS/PSC (if welded on) wont work with SS/PSC and clear tie-rod.
Find out from Poly / RK why their is still cross-over of the Drag Link and Track Bar (albeit a small amount), plus implications.
Install Air-Tank, Evap, & Skid
Run ARB solenoids to sPOD
Run stainless lines from ARB solenoids to ARB lockers
Test lockers
Change diff fluid (front & rear) after small break-in
Get nail pulled & patched from right rear tire at Les Schwaab
So, that's it. That's the remaining punch list of things to knock out before she's ready to hit the trail. Not much left, although the relatively short list is a nagging one. I'm concerned about the SS mounting bracket from Poly not working; very frustrating, because I like this piece. But the rig is getting close!

Stay tuned...

RC

cruzcode
11-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Okay, we've made some progress!!! First, I'd like thank Rob AGAIN for coming out to wrench today with me. It definitely helps to have reinforcements! Thanks, Rob! No Marcy, Rob did NOT rub!

The rig is done with the big stuff... the tires are on, track bar & drag link adjusted, suspension and steering are torqued, diff filled with fluid, etc.

However, here is the remaining and interesting list of items, before I can take her wheeling again:

Alignment (tomorrow, if 4WP in Ripon is open) -- DONE!
Wider heim joint from Rock Krawler for Track Bar (at axle)
U-Bolts for Coast Driveshaft (didn't come with shaft from Coast or Poly) -- Couldn't install driveshaft. -- BOUGHT THEM; DONE!
Drop skid system and install front Coast driveshaft -- DONE!
Find out why the Poly Track Bar bracket for SS/PSC (if welded on) wont work with SS/PSC and clear tie-rod. -- IMPOSSIBLE.
Find out from Poly / RK why their is still cross-over of the Drag Link and Track Bar (albeit a small amount), plus implications. -- TBD
Install Air-Tank, Evap, & Skid -- TBD, TODAY!
Run ARB solenoids to sPOD -- TBD, TODAY!
Run stainless lines from ARB solenoids to ARB lockers -- TBD, TODAY!
Test lockers -- TBD, TODAY!
Change diff fluid (front & rear) after small break-in -- TBD
Get nail pulled & patched from right rear tire at Les Schwaab -- TBD
So, that's it. That's the remaining punch list of things to knock out before she's ready to hit the trail. Not much left, although the relatively short list is a nagging one. I'm concerned about the SS mounting bracket from Poly not working; very frustrating, because I like this piece. But the rig is getting close!

Stay tuned...

RC

Alright, well after a trip to 4-Wheel Parts in Salida, CA, the alignment is done, and I'm rolling! Although I have a slight pull, and they said that the Dynatrac housing/Pro-Steers are off in geometry...

Afterwards, we attempted to put it up onto RTI Ramp to attempt to adjust the bump stops. ADVICE / DISCLAIMER: Kids, do not attempt to climb an RTI Ramp without lockers in the rain. We are trained professionals; do not try this at home. -- RESULT: It didn't work. I went up the ramp, and the wheels unlocked, started to spin. I was told to setup my OBA, wire in the solenoids, and get the lockers working, and then to come back to adjust my bumpstops, after I get everything setup with my OBA/Lockers.

The driveshaft is in, and I lost a bet with Rob for a burger and a beer, that I could get in the driveshaft while the RROR skids were in place without dropping them. I couldn't, and lost the bet. Damnit! I also got the tranny lines bent, skid plates re-installed, adjusted the sway bar links, adjusted the bump stops (sort of), and cleaned out the air tank.

Here are a couple of small, goofy pics, of my rig slipping up the RTI Ramp unlocked. We guessed that it would go up quite a bit more, if I was locked.

The rig is coming together. Now to start collecting some camping gear... It's time to wheel.

RC

cruzcode
11-27-2010, 03:59 PM
A few more...

RC

Alaska-HWY JK
11-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Looks good, to clean but good. I can't see the blue Reids though.:beer:

cruzcode
11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Looks good, to clean but good. I can't see the blue Reids though.:beer:

Thanks, man. It's clean, because when I perform "surgery" on the rig, I always clean it, so it doesn't get an infection from the dirt.

The Reids were orange, but I painted them black, not blue. If I had painted them blue, I'm pretty sure that Dennis would be sending me a bill, with a surcharge for trademark infringement of using the blue on black scheme, that he has on RubiKong. :D

RC

cruzcode
11-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Kinda confused here. Is this the part that you are referring to? It could also be that you need to recalibrate the ABS module at the dealership.

Stub,

Yep, that would be the one. I haven't driven it onto a cloverleaf since I put it all back together, so I'll have to see if it still does it.

So your advice, A) replace the sensors ($12/each), or B) have the ABS module recalibrated? Seems like good advice, thank you!

RC

cruzcode
11-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Tonight I installed the plumbing for the ARB solenoids (front & rear). I had already built a custom manifold for my pressure vessel, complete with gauges before and after the regulator, along with a hose attachment. I just needed to tap into the post-regulated manifold, setup a "T", and setup & wire the solenoids. I was able to complete all of this tonight.

This week, I have to figure out how to convert the ARB fittings that were installed on my Pro-Rock and rear diff, from air line fittings, to compression fittings, if possible. I have purchased (2) stainless, braided, air lines, to run to my lockers from my solenoids, but it looks like ARB requires a special fitting to go into the differentials, that ties in with the air line that feeds the locker. I'll need more clarification on this before proceeding.

Here are a couple of pics I snapped of tonight's work.

RC

StubEXrube
11-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Stub,

Yep, that would be the one. I haven't driven it onto a cloverleaf since I put it all back together, so I'll have to see if it still does it.

So your advice, A) replace the sensors ($12/each), or B) have the ABS module recalibrated? Seems like good advice, thank you!

RC

hey Rick. Man, the build is really coming along. Looks fantastic. Love the ARB plumbing work and the sPOD under the hood. Tires aren't looking too shiny....but that's okay. :D

Yea- hard to say if it might be a recalibration or wheel speed sensor, but one of those would be my guess.....since we were both doing similar axle work and had the same symptoms. Worth a shot if you don't get it figured out.

andrelopez99
11-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Tonight I installed the plumbing for the ARB solenoids (front & rear). I had already built a custom manifold for my pressure vessel, complete with gauges before and after the regulator, along with a hose attachment. I just needed to tap into the post-regulated manifold, setup a "T", and setup & wire the solenoids. I was able to complete all of this tonight.

This week, I have to figure out how to convert the ARB fittings that were installed on my Pro-Rock and rear diff, from air line fittings, to compression fittings, if possible. I have purchased (2) stainless, braided, air lines, to run to my lockers from my solenoids, but it looks like ARB requires a special fitting to go into the differentials, that ties in with the air line that feeds the locker. I'll need more clarification on this before proceeding.

Here are a couple of pics I snapped of tonight's work.

RC

Russell makes a set of solenoid and axle
Adapters

cruzcode
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Russell makes a set of solenoid and axle
Adapters

Thanks, Andre. Good looking out. I just looked them up on Poly's site. :beer:

RC

andrelopez99
11-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Andre. Good looking out. I just looked them up on Poly's site. :beer:

RC

They usually come with the Russell air lines, or can be purchased separately, I ditched the arb lines for these, I also used permatex HP and/or High temp thread sealant at every fitting.. NO LEAKS..

cruzcode
11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
They usually come with the Russell air lines, or can be purchased separately, I ditched the arb lines for these, I also used permatex HP and/or High temp thread sealant at every fitting.. NO LEAKS..

Nice. Now I wish that I didn't buy Poly's lines, because they didn't come with the fittings, and I have to spend more... EDIT: I was a dumbass, and didn't look hard enough. Poly includes the adapters with their lines!!! Sorry fellas!

So you didn't go with Teflon tape, you ran thread sealant? I haven't done that before. I used pipe dope on my air tank, but had a leak, and before I rebuild this system, I want to make sure that she doesn't leak.

Can you show me a pic of the stuff you used? Thanks for the tip, Andre.

RC

andrelopez99
11-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Nice. Now I wish that I didn't buy Poly's lines, because they didn't come with the fittings, and I have to spend more...

So you didn't go with Teflon tape, you ran thread sealant? I haven't done that before. I used pipe dope on my air tank, but had a leak, and before I rebuild this system, I want to make sure that she doesn't leak.

Can you show me a pic of the stuff you used? Thanks for the tip, Andre.

RC

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants.htm

I'm @ work :laughing:, heres the link, I've been very unlucky with Teflon tape 2-5 wrap a rounds, still got leaks, used the permatex stuff let it cure to instructions and no LEAKS, used it for my OBA, trans cooler and PS cooler..

cruzcode
12-01-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants.htm (http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants.htm)

I'm @ work :laughing:, heres the link, I've been very unlucky with Teflon tape 2-5 wrap a rounds, still got leaks, used the permatex stuff let it cure to instructions and no LEAKS, used it for my OBA, trans cooler and PS cooler..

Andre, got it. Thanks for the lead. After reading up on the chit, I realize that this is a much better alternative to that leaky, degrading, teflon, tape. Nice work with the reco, I appreciate it.

RC

andrelopez99
12-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Andre, got it. Thanks for the lead. After reading up on the chit, I realize that this is a much better alternative to that leaky, degrading, teflon, tape. Nice work with the reco, I appreciate it.

RC

After everything is plumed and cured, you might already know this, use a spray bottle with liquid soap to check for leaks...

cruzcode
12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Smart idea... I have done that so long ago, but it was so long ago that I wouldn't have remembered to do it. So thank you.

RC

cruzcode
12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Okay, I got all of the stainless lines that I needed, adapters, and other odds & ends. Thanks to Andre for recommending the super, duper, Permatex Thread Sealant; it's good chit.

I have everything knocked out, except the following list:

Test both lockers
Change diff fluid in both differentials after putting some miles on it
Have tabs welded onto the trackbar bracket to hold my SS
Replace narrow heim joint & washers, with RK misalignment heim joint on track bar
Re-apply several coats of Tire Shine :thefinger:
Looking to wheel on Sunday, 12/19. So, get your maps and your (tow) straps ready!

RC

andrelopez99
12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Okay, I got all of the stainless lines that I needed, adapters, and other odds & ends. Thanks to Andre for recommending the super, duper, Permatex Thread Sealant; it's good chit.

I have everything knocked out, except the following list:

Test both lockers
Change diff fluid in both differentials after putting some miles on it
Have tabs welded onto the trackbar bracket to hold my SS
Replace narrow heim joint & washers, with RK misalignment heim joint on track bar
Re-apply several coats of Tire Shine :thefinger:
Looking to wheel on Sunday, 12/19. So, get your maps and your (tow) straps ready!

RC

Glad everything is plumbed and running good.:beer:

nocoastfocus
01-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Nice build. Have u wheeled yet? Are the lockers working alright?

cruzcode
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks, man. Yes, I have. I went on a run to Hollister, with a large group of JKO NorCal'ers the weekend before Christmas. It was supposed to be an average run, but turned into a little bit of a tougher run, because of the monsoon that came down.

I was VERY impresssed with how it handled everything, how well the Rock Krawler suspension flexed and responded, and the lockers work outstanding.

Now I need to extend all of my breathers, change fluid in both diffs, install a misalignment spacer on my track bar, set my bump stops, have my over-axle exhaust tube raised (contact with axle tube under articulation), and clean mud out of the INSIDE of the rig, before hitting the next run.

Plus my buddy Jim, just ordered rock lights, so now I have to get on the stick and order those too.

I need to find a friend that is a great (not good) welder, as I want to cut-down the width of my front, full-width, Hansen, bumper for clearance, and maybe even "engineer" a stinger into it as well. ;) Also, I need to weld on the Poly SS bracketry, and reinstall the Fox SS.

Very impressed and happy with my setup. Are you adding some of these goodies to yours?

RC

cruzcode
01-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Here are a few recent shots from today... :bounce:

RC

cruzcode
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Here a few more... :bounce:

RC

militaryman4455
01-09-2011, 05:07 AM
I just read through your whole thread and you definitely have one of the nicest and well built/thought out 4 doors I have seen. But after all that Jeep crack your best flex shot is on a tire?!?! Come on man, feed us the goods :grinpimp: You need to sell me on your hardware :smokin:

cruzcode
01-10-2011, 06:15 AM
I just read through your whole thread and you definitely have one of the nicest and well built/thought out 4 doors I have seen. But after all that Jeep crack your best flex shot is on a tire?!?! Come on man, feed us the goods :grinpimp: You need to sell me on your hardware :smokin:

That's really funny. :D

After I work out the gremlins from the Auto Shutdown Circuit problem that I had this weekend, then we'll get her flexed out. I intended to adjust the bumpstops on this run, but didn't get to it due to the stalling issue. :shaking:

Thank you for the kind words.

RC

militaryman4455
01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
That's really funny. :D

After I work out the gremlins from the Auto Shutdown Circuit problem that I had this weekend, then we'll get her flexed out. I intended to adjust the bumpstops on this run, but didn't get to it due to the stalling issue. :shaking:

Thank you for the kind words.

RC

Stalling issue? You dont know how to drive yet? :thefinger:

cruzcode
01-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Stalling issue? You dont know how to drive yet? :thefinger:

:D Well, I believe that I said this in another thread, but I'm like the character "Tumbler" from "Gone in Sixty Seconds," as I can drive anything with wheels. However, when the computer shuts me down, there are limitations... Damn computer! :shaking:

RC

militaryman4455
01-11-2011, 07:27 AM
:D Well, I believe that I said this in another thread, but I'm like the character "Tumbler" from "Gone in Sixty Seconds," as I can drive anything with wheels. However, when the computer shuts me down, there are limitations... Damn computer! :shaking:

RC

I understand that. I have cut off as many parts of my computer as possible to get back to real driving. That is why I bought a standard.... To actually control my transmission. Not for a computer to try and tell me how I should control my transmission. I wish there was a way to bypass that shit...

militaryman4455
01-11-2011, 07:28 AM
I have a quick question about those Reid knuckles... Would they be fine to put in with stock components? Did you have to buy knew ball joints when you put them in or is it pretty easy to get the stockers out?

Dynatrac
01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I have a quick question about those Reid knuckles... Would they be fine to put in with stock components? Did you have to buy knew ball joints when you put them in or is it pretty easy to get the stockers out?
The ball joints are pressed into the 'C' of the axle housing not the outside steering knuckle.

militaryman4455
01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
The ball joints are pressed into the 'C' of the axle housing not the outside steering knuckle.

Ok, so you can just take off the nuts on the ball joints and pull the knuckle then put in the Reids and put the nuts back on?

Dynatrac
01-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Ok, so you can just take off the nuts on the ball joints and pull the knuckle then put in the Reids and put the nuts back on?
It's not quite that easy but yes. Don't be surprised if you find bad ball joints. It's common to find them bad with less than 10K on the rig.

militaryman4455
01-11-2011, 09:15 AM
It's not quite that easy but yes. Don't be surprised if you find bad ball joints. It's common to find them bad with less than 10K on the rig.

I inspected them a few days ago when I pulled my hub bearings to pull my axle shafts after a break and they looked fine. I tried shaking the tire back and forth to see if there was any movement and I didnt find any play. I really dont know how to properly check though.

cruzcode
01-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I inspected them a few days ago when I pulled my hub bearings to pull my axle shafts after a break and they looked fine. I tried shaking the tire back and forth to see if there was any movement and I didnt find any play. I really dont know how to properly check though.

Take a pry bar, and pry between the surfaces to see if there is lateral or vertical movement.

Stock BJs are cheap enough, but if you go stock, go with MOOG. The next step up are Poly Performance's new BJ, but I am not certain if they are available. Then if you want to divorce yourself with some real dough, but want billy bad-ass BJs, you go with Dynatrac's Pro-Steers, which help make my front-end tighter than your prom night. They are rebuildable, and should, barring a direct hit from a landmine, last forever in principle.

The Reid's are bad-ass. I must however, figure out how to mount my SS on my new setup, as this is config is not SS friendly.

More later.

RC

StubEXrube
01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Take a pry bar, and pry between the surfaces to see if there is lateral or vertical movement.

Stock BJs are cheap enough, but if you go stock, go with MOOG. The next step up are Poly Performance's new BJ, but I am not certain if they are available. Then if you want to divorce yourself with some real dough, but want billy bad-ass BJs, you go with Dynatrac's Pro-Steers, which help make my front-end tighter than your prom night. They are rebuildable, and should, barring a direct hit from a landmine, last forever in principle.

The Reid's are bad-ass. I must however, figure out how to mount my SS on my new setup, as this is config is not SS friendly.

More later.

RC

:laughing: Not sure what your front end has to do with his prom night, but.....

You could always just remove the stabilizer. I have the Poly Performance stabilizer (although now removed) and PP bracket welded to the axle tube, using the Pro-Steers and the Reid racing knuckles. My Jeep is handling perfectly with no stabilizer at all. Just a thought.

cruzcode
01-12-2011, 08:54 AM

You could always just remove the stabilizer. I have the Poly Performance stabilizer (although now removed) and PP bracket welded to the axle tube, using the Pro-Steers and the Reid racing knuckles. My Jeep is handling perfectly with no stabilizer at all. Just a thought.

Regarding prom night, :laughing2:

I have the exact same setup, with SS removed, and mine handles well too. It would be nice to have for those f'd up Cali back roads though.

Thanks, ANTHONY. :D

RC

militaryman4455
01-12-2011, 03:22 PM

More later.

RC

I actually placed an order for the PP's while they were on pre order said and then had to back out before they shipped because of a family emergency and I needed other parts first. Ill probably get some poly's in a couple months, but for now, Im getting no bad performance out of the stockers. Ill have to check em like you suggested though, thanks man.

cruzcode
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM

Regarding prom night, :laughing2:

I have the exact same setup, with SS removed, and mine handles well too. It would be nice to have for those f'd up Cali back roads though.

Thanks, ANTHONY. :D

RC

Stub,

I meant to ask you... I have Poly's weld-on, lower track-bar bracket too. Dynatrac welded it on when I ordered the PR44. Does it look like you could install the SS mount, without it interfering with your tie-rod in terms of clearance? Mine doesn't look like it will even work.

Thoughts?

RC

cruzcode
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Here are some other threads that I posted, relating to an electrical problem that I'm facing:

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43486 (http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43486)

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43553 (http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43553)

RC

StubEXrube
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Stub,

I meant to ask you... I have Poly's weld-on, lower track-bar bracket too. Dynatrac welded it on when I ordered the PR44. Does it look like you could install the SS mount, without it interfering with your tie-rod in terms of clearance? Mine doesn't look like it will even work.

Thoughts?

RC

Gimme a few mins, and I'll shoot a few pics. We made everything work. We actually used a Woods stabilizer bracket and bolted it to the Poly TB mount (that is welded to the axle). I was using Poly's stabilizer with this set up....with absolutely no clearance issues. Also using a Poly tie-rod with this set-up.

Hold on.....

StubEXrube
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Not sure if these pics will help.....

cruzcode
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Not sure if these pics will help.....

Hrmmm... Looks good, but I don't know if it will work, or not. I have my TB in the top hole of the Poly mount, which would put the SS at a peculiar angle compared to the Tie-Rod.

I have the Rock Krawler Tie-Rod, but that shouldn't matter.

Hrmmm... Still stumped.

RC

cruzcode
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I have to find the time to contact McMaster Carr, and find out what in the hell size/angle fitting I have for this leader hose/line that I ran for my OBA. It is leaking like a siv, and if I don't fix it, I'm not going to KOH.

I also need to install rock lights, and more importantly, work on grinding down the cast metal steering stops on my Reid Knuckles.

RC

andrelopez99
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
I have to find the time to contact McMaster Carr, and find out what in the hell size/angle fitting I have for this leader hose/line that I ran for my OBA. It is leaking like a siv, and if I don't fix it, I'm not going to KOH.

I also need to install rock lights, and more importantly, work on grinding down the cast metal steering stops on my Reid Knuckles.

RC

What are you needing for OBA?

cruzcode
01-17-2011, 10:40 PM
When I first bought my OBA. I ordered a large diameter (I forgot the size), stainless, braided, line, complete with matching fittings, from McMaster & Carr, online.

Well, that line connects my manifold (under hood), and my air tank. Unfortunately, my dumbass decided to leave my fitting on the tank when I shipped it back to River Raider Off-Road for mod/fab work to be done. The fitting got dented, and now my system leaks like a siv. :pissed:

The fitting looks like a ANSI -6, but isn't. It is some other angle. I have tried OSH and Home Depot, both with no luck. This fitting is random, and both fittings, fit perfectly in the hose/line, but I can't find them locally.

I'm trying to figure out what size/angle/type they are, so I can order a replacement fitting for the line.

RC

andrelopez99
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
When I first bought my OBA. I ordered a large diameter (I forgot the size), stainless, braided, line, complete with matching fittings, from McMaster & Carr, online.

Well, that line connects my manifold (under hood), and my air tank. Unfortunately, my dumbass decided to leave my fitting on the tank when I shipped it back to River Raider Off-Road for mod/fab work to be done. The fitting got dented, and now my system leaks like a siv. :pissed:

The fitting looks like a ANSI -6, but isn't. It is some other angle. I have tried OSH and Home Depot, both with no luck. This fitting is random, and both fittings, fit perfectly in the hose/line, but I can't find them locally.

I'm trying to figure out what size/angle/type they are, so I can order a replacement fitting for the line.

RC

I think you might be looking for - 1/4" NPT / JIC (size ?) coupler and(or) adapter. Here is a site for help..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Plumbing/

cruzcode
01-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Okay Gents (and those few Ladies out there), I need your advice... My bumper is too wide. When I first started, I wanted more width, and then as my wheeling advanced, along with tire size, suspension, etc., my needs changed.

Here it is: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12222_3103.htm (http://www.quadratec.com/products/12222_3103.htm)

The problem is that I really like my bumper, but I need two things that my current bumper doesn't give me:

Shorter Width (for tire clearance)
Competition Stinger
Now, I'm thinking I have two choices, and depending on who in the area can do #1, will make these choices less or more viable:
Have a good welder, remove the outer tubes, "trim" my bumper width, re-weld the end caps back on (same angle), and then shorten and modify the outer tubes to fit the shorter width. THEN, have them cut open the loop at the end of my, err, stinger/brush-guard, and buy some more tubing to make a stinger out, welding it on.
Sell this bumper for $475 (new $900), and buy a Stinge bumper that has factory fog lights access inside of it.
Thoughts??? Thanks in advance! :beer:

RC

StubEXrube
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
JOMO- What if you do/ have someone do all the work- which will be a lot..... sandblasting, cutting, many measurements, cutting and/ or forming plate, welding, bending tube, finishing, fitting, etc......and in the end, you decide you don't like the look or functionality (?)

My other concern would be that this Hanson bumper doesn't currently have the best approach angle.

I might sell it and look at a PSC with trail or comp stinger- ready to go. Cut back your frame rails and you have excellent functionality out of the box.

(You could even finish it in CHROME!) :)

cruzcode
01-24-2011, 07:33 AM
JOMO- What if you do/ have someone do all the work- which will be a lot..... sandblasting, cutting, many measurements, cutting and/ or forming plate, welding, bending tube, finishing, fitting, etc......and in the end, you decide you don't like the look or functionality (?)

My other concern would be that this Hanson bumper doesn't currently have the best approach angle.

I might sell it and look at a PSC with trail or comp stinger- ready to go. Cut back your frame rails and you have excellent functionality out of the box.

(You could even finish it in CHROME!) :)

Not a bad idea. I really like the PSC Stinger, I just wish that it had spots for the factory fog lights. Not unlike Tony Montana and his Porsche, I occasionally get stuck in swamps.

I like everything about the PSC stinger, except the no fog light option. The Smittybilt stinger is less superior, but has this option. I don't want to make a decision on just this one detail, but I have my rig almost exactly as I want it, and don't want to compromise..., which is why I raised the fab route of the Hansen.

You raise a couple of excellent points regarding the approach angle, and the "what if" factor... Thanks, Stub.

I still dunno... :shaking:

Oh, and I have something chrome for you right here. Wait..., where is it? Damnit, where did I put them? I know they are around here somewhere... Ahhh, here they are! :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger:

RC

StubEXrube
01-24-2011, 08:27 AM
hehe. :thefinger:

Yea- gotta say that I don't like not having fogs atm, but I know I'll figure something out. I was going to mount a pair ( ;) ) behind the oval cut-outs on the skid, but there just isn't enough room behind there to do it.

One reason that I held off so long going to the PSC, is that once you do it.....you really can't go back (since you have to cut back the front cross-member and frame rails)....so yea.....definitely a good idea to consider all options, advantages/ disadvantages.

Worthless fact- It is funny to watch people in parking lots (that are parked in front of you....facing you), when you pull into the adjacent spot and your PSC stinger goes up over the hood of their car. They always look like this ----> :eek:

cruzcode
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
<<<< Is thinking thinking about a Hemi or an LS-7...

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

RC

StubEXrube
02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
The LS-7 has a higher gloss. :)

cruzcode
02-22-2011, 10:22 PM
The LS-7 has a higher gloss. :)

Jackass!!! Actually, that was pretty funny... :laughing:

Plus, I'm Chevrolet guy when it comes to HP.

RC

JKUnlimitedSport_2010
08-31-2011, 07:00 AM
how did this turn out? any pictures done?

cruzcode
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Okay, so it's time to take it to the next level. We'll start with a custom bumper.

We'll start with a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Bumper as a foundation, which is mocked up and ready for a little fabrication! Then after fab, off some the bumper & mods, and the RROR tube fenders, and off they go to the media blaster and powder-coater for a day!

Then we'll go with a new Warn winch (still determining to go 95ti or another model), with synthetic line.

Then, well, I'll let you know when we get to the next stage... :D

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c25c-3ff3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c268-e2e9.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c27c-7ec0.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c29b-8b83.jpg

cruzcode
11-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Mocked up... Ready for fab/modifications! :D

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c2cf-cd0a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c2e8-f0b7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c2ff-5230.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c31f-1855.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-c33d-645b.jpg

Marcy
11-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Then, well, I'll let you know when we get to the next stage... :D

Black spray paint for your wheels?!

cruzcode
11-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Black spray paint for your wheels?!

Marcy, you don't know!!! :p

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

RC

cruzcode
11-11-2011, 08:41 AM
how did this turn out? any pictures done?

When I get everything powder-coated, and painted up again, I'll shoot some decent pics and post them.

RC

THECHAD
11-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Needs more tire shine!!!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruzcode
11-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Needs more tire shine!!!!! :)

I'm currently out of stock! I know, the unthinkable. I think you and Marcy have been colluding... :thefinger:

No, it's been parked outside of my garage, because I've been filling up my garage with my belongings in boxes, as I prepare to move to an undisclosed city for my company, at an undisclosed time. You'd think I work for the NSA! :shaking:

RC

THECHAD
11-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Your parking it outside???? OMG. Hell has frozen over!! Poor jeep will think you don't love it anymore :)

cruzcode
11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Your parking it outside???? OMG. Hell has frozen over!! Poor jeep will think you don't love it anymore :)

Yes, and do you know what I have to effing deal with??? Dust all over it, AND cat footprint! Those little bastards are waiting to get stuffed.

Grrrrrrr... I need a garage back!

RC

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Okay, so as I've mentioned, and as much as I liked my full-length Hansen front bumper, I had to move to a shorty bumper for tire approach and rubbing issues (shut up, Rob & Marcy). Fortunately, a friend of mine just upgraded from a 2-door, to a 4-door for his family needs, and wanted it, so it worked out perfectly. I sold him my Hansen bumper, and Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch, with my polished fairlead, and synthetic line, and made him a great deal.

Next, I must venture out to find out what I want. Well... the bad news is, that no one makes what I want, or at least, today... The two closest things that I had found for a front bumper that met my needs were Poison Spyder, and another company (Overkill Engineering) that apparently went out of business in Washington, that need not be mentioned. PSC has the base bumper that I wanted in their Brawler Lite, but currently does not engineer a stinger for it. As much as I begged Dusty, my need and PSC's timelines just didn't match. I even tossed in a little flirting to Cortney, but nothing. Perhaps I could have been more persuasive with Dusty if I looked like Marcy or CaliGirl... :D

So, I decided to order the Brawler Lite Front Bumper with D-Ring Mounts, but without any hoops, bars, etc. I friend of mine (Family-JK) encouraged me to call up another friend of mine who runs 5150 Fabrication (http://5150fabrication.com/) as an avocation, to see if he could help me build a custom-designed stinger, that would meet my needs, and be incorporated into Poison Spyder's Brawler Lite. And that is exactly what I did, and I couldn't be happier with that decision.

After talking with Paul, we agreed in principle on what I was trying to accomplish, and we set an appointment to meet at his shop with the bumper. I ordered the bumper over the weekend, and it was delivered within a couple of days. Outstanding customer service from PSC, which along with excellent products, has made them so successful to date. I installed the bumper, went over to the 5150 Fabrication shop, and met with Paul. Paul had already mocked up a couple of ideas for stingers based on our phone conversation! Unbelievable! I was so impressed with that gesture. We went out, and one of his options, was fairly close to what I was looking for, and will be part of his "Sinister" line, that he is currently developing. We went back to the shop, he drew out some sketches, I drew out some sketches. Then we went back to my rig, and mocked up the one demo stinger he had fabbed up, and made some measurements. He already had the tube that I had asked to spec for my stinger, on-hand, and he went to work. A cut here, a cut there, a tack weld here, and a tack weld there, and wah-lah. The frame of the stinger was taking form! We went out to measure rake and center on the frame of the PSC bumper, considering blinker and headlight sightline angles, along with height above the hood, and made some more measurements. Back to the shop, another series of cuts, grinds, measurements, and remeasurements, and now we were measuring and dialing in the final angle before tack welding it into place. I was so impressed with Paul's approach. (Actually, I gave him a compliment via an analogy: I told him that many fabricators, custom-designers, and even tattoo artists, could learn a lot from Paul. Many customers (and definitely me), have a concept of what they want to accomplish with a build, fabrication project, or a tattoo. They just can't visualize what their concept could look like. Paul is very patient, asks questions, and listens a lot, and because of this combination of skill-sets, along with great fabrication experience, he reaches the goal in mind.) He then asked me to remove the bumper, with the tack welded stinger, and hand it over. After leaving it with Paul for less than a week, along with the decision on which stinger gusset I wanted, Paul went to work. The only decision I had not yet made was the reinforcement gussets between the bumper and the stinger. Tube or plate? I like the look of plate gussets better, but realize the tubes are stronger, as they provide more surface area for the welds, and are stronger in general because of their structure. Later that week Paul had mocked up the plates and tubes, and send me pictures to my iPhone, since he knew I couldn't make it to the shop. We spoke on the phone, and he went into great detail by helping me understand the difference of structural rigidity of my two options, followed by a recommendation, the tubular supports. That is the route I went.

Fast forward to that following weekend, I came out to pick-up the PSC/5150 Fabrication bumper/stinger combo, and it was EXACTLY what I had wanted! Paul even went the extra mile to weld in the gaps in the light cans in the PSC portion of the bumper, because he knows that I am a detail guy, and didn't want those nasty gaps showing. The bumper design was exactly what I wanted, and I turned out better than I had even imagined. We bolted it up, and I decided that I wanted my crash bar off, and I had been telling Paul about it, so he offered to pull out the Plasma Cutter and knock it off for me, too. Absolutely! Off came the crash bar, and I have a newfound approach angle, higher clearance, and a mean looking combination of function and fashion, which pretty much describes me as a person, and a wheeler, to a tee. Paul and I settled up, and I thanked him profusely for not just doing a good job with fabricating my stinger, but for the entire process, his sense of humor, professionalism, and for educating me along the way.

I had a great experience with Paul at 5150 Fabrication (http://5150fabrication.com/), and thoroughly endorse his product, process, and the entire experience. If you would like to see his work on my rig, please PM me, and I'll be happy to show it to you. I'll also post some pics up of the project during its inception and through completion.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

RC

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Off to the powder-coater... I wanted to get the bumper/stinger done in semi-gloss black (which was the same finish that my old Hansen bumper was, which I really liked), and I wanted to get my River Raider Off-Road, narrow-width, tube fenders, stripped, and powder-coated to match the bumper.

I decided to use ColorCoat in Modesto, CA, based on a referral from someone else here at JKO. It was close, and the pricing that I received from original PCer that I was going to use in the East Bay, was higher than giraffe balls! Chris at ColorCoat was outstanding. I explained what I was trying to do, and Chris read me loud and clear.

Chris showed me like a million different shades of black, with different finish types, and I finally made a selection. Regarding my RROR fenders, he did want to make a disclaimer. He said that he had seen a lot of tubular fenders in his day, and that at times fabricators will have stitch or spot-welding the flat portion of the fenders to the tubes, and then fill the remaining parts in between (and any uneven surfaces) with bondo to smooth them out. He said that when the bake off the 'gatorhyde' material from the fenders, that any filler will surely melt off. If he doesn't feel that the surface quality is up to standard, then he was not goign to waste my money or his reputation by powder-coating them. I appreciated his candor, and agreed. I explained that I had a tight timeline due to my impending move, the holiday weekend, and some obligations, and he said he would move things around on his production schedule to accommodate me; unexpected, but very impressive!

A couple of days later I heard from Chris, and he said that the RROR fenders came out just as he had thought. The bondo was gone, and it revealed stitch welding (not a solid bead), and imperfections in the metal surface. He said that I could pick them up, and pointed me in a few different directions to have them welded up. He said that if I were to get them in better shape without bondo, then he would be happy to weld them up.

Here is where I have to give kudos to Kenny and River Raider Off-Road... I posted this up in the NorCal section of JKO, and asked for some feedback on whether or not I should weld & powder-coat, weld & paint, or bondo & paint. Opinions varied, and then Kenny (crash) chimed in. He stated that my fenders were a first-generation fender, before they began seam-welding them all. He offered to completely redo them for me, if I sent them his way, all at no charge. I was blown away. I have had the fenders for over a year and a half, but Kenny wanted to stand by his product, and take care of me as a customer, when I didn't even ask him to do so. My hats off to Kenny and River Raider Off-Road. Unfortunately, I am in an awkward timing position, and if any of you have seen my other posts about getting hammered by the California Highway Patrol for mudflap citations, you know good and well that I couldn't go completely without fenders for an extended period of time while these would be shipped East, redone, shipped back, powder-coated, and then installed. If only there was more time... Kenny understood, and he even offered to have me contact him on his cell if I found a welder locally to do it, so he could walk them through this project.

So, after visiting a dozen of welders and fabrication houses, needing this to be done with a day or two, one welder told me the due to the dips in the metal top of the fender, and where it comes in contact with the tubes, it would require a lot of welding 'filling', from which the heat would warp the metal. Two of the fenders could have been welded, but the front two needed so much filling, that the welding with warp them, even with some crafty welding techniques. He recommended that I visit a professional auto-paint supply shop, and seek out "All Metal Fill". He said it is metallic, can be powder-coated, that Bondo, it is completely resistant to water (unlike Bondo), is 3.5 times harder than Bondo, and applies just like Bondo, but is infinitely more difficult to apply precisely. This last fragment cannot be overstated...

Off I go to B&Z Auto Care in Modeso/Turlock. I met with Brian, who was very helpful, recommended all of the prep work, degreasers, water removers, sanding techniques, and measured my Bondo I.Q., which is a litlte rusty (from 15 years ago), but at least it was there. I bought all of the product, with intention of powder-coating after I was done. After all, if I was just going to paint it, Bondo would have been considerably easier.

I called one of my buddies, Jim (Family-JK), and said are you down for a ridiculous project, that we're both going to hate? He said, of course! I met him as his house on Friday at 11:30, and we worked on it until midnight that night.

Let me say this clearly. Applying "All Metal Fill" is a complete pain in the ass! To say that we were rookies with "All Metal Fill" is understatement, but nonetheless, we handled it well, Jim better than I. We worked for hours prepping the fenders. Degreasing, water extraction, sanding, more sanding, and after we were done, we did a little more sanding. They were finally ready for the All Metal Fill. I had received precise instructions from Brian at B&Z Auto Care, on how to mix the activator for the All Metal Fill, and followed them to the tee. We practiced mixing and applying on cardboard, just to get a sense on how long we would have to manipulate the All Metal Fill, before it hardened up. It was less 90 seconds. Tip: Analyze and mark your surface of where you'll need most of your fill, and work from there. Then get all of the fill onto the metal, and began at one end, working consistently to ensure that you do not create lines, or breaks in the All Metal Fill. Also, clean applicators are a must. We worked on it for the next hour, getting all four fenders done. We knew that we had some low spots, craters, and lines in the first coat, and had to do a second coat, after really sanding the hell out of the first coat, once it hardened. Point of mention: This stuff, is as a hard as metal. It has metal in it, and once it hardens, it can only be shaped, ground, or cut like metal is. So..., get it the way you want it before it dries!!!

After the sanding was done, followed by another session of cleaning, degreasing, and such, we did the second coat. Another PITA. We then moved into 80 grit, 180 grit, 220 grit sanding for hours. We finally reached a point where we had done all we could do before saying, this isn't completely smooth. We noticed dips, some scratches, and imperfections, that would ultimately drive Jim and I bat-shit crazy, so we made a decision: Based on the increasingly colder weather that has been get worse, and not wanting to go with Bondo, because that would eliminate my ability to powder-coat them (bc Bondo can't handle the heat of the PC ovens), we would prime and paint these to get me rolling again, and come back to make an informed decision another day. We did just that, and after two coats of primer, and 2.5 coats of solid rattlecan work, they were painted, to dry over night and be installed in the morning.

Jenga here we come...

We installed the fenders the next morning, and both of us reacted as we knew we both would react; unhappy that we couldn't finish due to weather, etc. Even if the sides of the fenders get gauged up from rock krawling, etc., the tops should look nice initially, because unless I get hit from above with some Angry Birds, they'll probably stay in good condition.

At this point, I'm not sure yet which route I am going to take. I may just sand them down, bondo over the All-Metal Fill, making it as smooth as glass, followed by priming & painting again. Or, maybe I'll figure out another route, to be able to smooth out the All Metal Fill well enough to have them powder-coated, which is what I really want to do. Not sure. For now my Jeep must become back-burner, so I can move from Turlock to Manteca this coming week. :bawling:

I'll post up pics for you guys to see shortly! :D

RC

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Pics of the custom stinger from 5150 Fabrication, welded to a PSC Brawler Lite front bumper!

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9a80-5d71.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9a90-0628.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9a9f-fc82.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9ab6-261f.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9ad5-7ac2.jpg

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
These were my River Raider Off-Road narrow-width fenders, after I had the 'Gatorhyde' finish and Bondo melted off of them.

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9b62-0c8e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9b70-c68c.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9b7b-7fb2.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9b86-886f.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9b9a-f602.jpg

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Completing the process of prepping, sanding, and applying the 'All-Metal Fill' to my RROR tube fenders. This process sucks! :thefinger:

One important note... Jim (Family-JK) was instrumental in the process of this whole project, and I appreciate your help, Jim!!!

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9e98-a0c7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9c53-baea.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9c67-7db3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9c8c-5ed0.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9c9d-e632.jpg

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Pics of bumper, after it was powder-coated, and installed, along with the Warn 95cti, Viking Synthetic winch line with polished Safety Thimble (shut up Scott), PSC fairlead & light mounts, and my PIAA 540's.

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9d0c-7e5a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9d23-df45.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9d5c-5a78.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9dd6-2d14.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9e00-f5d5.jpg

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Some additional pics of the front bumper, winch, and lights installed.

Note: I need to 'shine up' my rig and take some full body shots with this new setup, to show proportion, but I'm out of time this week. So, more photos coming soon! :D

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9f2d-db98.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9f49-7d46.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9f5c-5486.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9f71-c047.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/44b940d4-9f82-7cdf.jpg

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Pic Holder 6 for some "full body shots" to come next week...

I feel good, because DirtyRC is finally starting to come together!

:bounce:

RC

cruzcode
11-27-2011, 05:04 PM
If anyone has any recommendations on smoothing out the "All Metal Fill" that I used on my RROR fenders in the last page of this thread, let me know what you're thinking.

I really want to powder-coat them, but won't do it until they're smooth on top.

RC

cruzcode
11-28-2011, 06:41 AM
If anyone has any recommendations on smoothing out the "All Metal Fill" that I used on my RROR fenders in the last page of this thread, let me know what you're thinking.

I really want to powder-coat them, but won't do it until they're smooth on top.

RC

Anyone providing Monday morning advice? :D

RC

Family-jk
11-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I hate All-Metal. You suck :thefinger::thefinger: :shaking: What a bitch to work with. Basically tar in a jar. Why do I feel we will be using this crap again to complete those fenders. Better not return the extra as of yet.

PhilD
11-28-2011, 08:56 AM
If anyone has any recommendations on smoothing out the "All Metal Fill" that I used on my RROR fenders in the last page of this thread, let me know what you're thinking.All Metal can be hard to sand, but it can be done. I've used an orbital sander with 80 grit in the past with good results, then follow it up with some 320 or 400. You may need a lot of sanding discs.

A quicker method is a medium grit flapper wheel on an angle grinder, but you have to be real careful as it is very easy to remove too much. Once you have it close use an orbital to finish it off.

Taking your time is the key, otherwise you end up having to start the whole process again. I'd rather spend more time with a finer discs, then less time with coarse discs and have to start again because too much was removed.

Freshmeat
11-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Holy shit! That stinger could kill somebody!! Be careful or you'll get stuck to a tree!

My Brawler Lite will be here this evening; I'm going Saturday to a buddy's house so we can build a stinger for it as well, although I won't have a chariot of death with my stinger! Haha! I'm strongly considering a grill hoop for added functionality, but I'll more than likely just stick with the stinger.

The Jeep looks bad ass, dude. I'd just HATE to be the one slamming my brakes in front of you just when you happen to be checking out the soccer mom jogging along the sidewalk...

Freshmeat
11-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Can you do me a favor and get some more detailed pics of the angles and mounting points? Again, I'll be doing this on Saturday and any sort of reference point would be greatly appreciated! Do you have any suggestions for someone taking on this task as far as mounting angle, positioning, etc?

josh_jacklyn
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
holy shit! looks like you can spear someone head on...:D:beer:

cruzcode
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
All Metal can be hard to sand, but it can be done. I've used an orbital sander with 80 grit in the past with good results, then follow it up with some 320 or 400. You may need a lot of sanding discs.

A quicker method is a medium grit flapper wheel on an angle grinder, but you have to be real careful as it is very easy to remove too much. Once you have it close use an orbital to finish it off.

Taking your time is the key, otherwise you end up having to start the whole process again. I'd rather spend more time with a finer discs, then less time with coarse discs and have to start again because too much was removed.

Phil, thanks for the tips. Two things I do not do are, and in this order: 1) Body Work, and 2) Transmission Work. And I considered this advanced Body Work!

All of your points are noted, and I'll let you know how it comes out on the next stab at it. (Man, Jim is gonna kill me when I tell him we're doing this again!)

RC

cruzcode
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Can you do me a favor and get some more detailed pics of the angles and mounting points? Again, I'll be doing this on Saturday and any sort of reference point would be greatly appreciated! Do you have any suggestions for someone taking on this task as far as mounting angle, positioning, etc?

Fresh, thanks. I'll defer to Paul, the owner of 5150 Fabrication. PM me, and I'll get you in contact with him for the specs...

RC

cruzcode
11-28-2011, 11:55 PM
holy shit! looks like you can spear someone head on...:D:beer:

Josh, that was not the intention. But you would be surprised at how many people get out of my way like I'm a CHP cruiser when I pull up behind them in the left lane! It blew my mind! I suppose an added benefit. :D

RC

cruzcode
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
The Jeep looks bad ass, dude. I'd just HATE to be the one slamming my brakes in front of you just when you happen to be checking out the soccer mom jogging along the sidewalk...

And soccer moms are outstanding in my book! :D

RC

cruzcode
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Okay, so the most recent work that my rig needed was some exhaust modification.

I was running into my over-axle pipe, from the aFe cat-back system. The rear track bar was hitting it, and only giving my about two inches of travel before it smacked.

Initially I thought I would just have the over-axle tube massaged, but instead i had a local muffler shop install an inline Magnaflow muffler in between the transfer case and my RROR Evap + Air Tank Skid. It came out nice, and now I have an aFe muffler for sale.

Sounds just as good, but now it has no interference from an over-axle tube.

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefde077-bb74-c06f.jpg

cruzcode
12-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Today's project will be removing the extremely stubborn River Raider transmission skid. I say stubborn, because once that damn thing is installed, it takes some patience, custom wrenches, and a beer to take it back off.

I'm removing it and taking it over to 5150 Fabrication to have it mitre cut, bent, and rewelded. The reason is that it was designed to mount flush against the factory crossmember, and when you install the Rock Krawler lift, the control arm box, lowers that about 0.25". So, it lowers the back end of the skid just a touch, which changes the mating spot on the oil pan skid.

On several occasions the bolts have flown out of the skid, creating a shovel for my undercarriage.

No biggie, some replacement bolts from Kenny & Bear at RROR, and some local cutting and welding, and we'll be ready for next week's Rubicon Snow Run!

RC

THECHAD
12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Snow run??? I don't think so lol

cruzcode
12-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Snow run??? I don't think so lol

No snow?

RC

cruzcode
12-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Okay, I went over to visit Paul at 5150 Fabrication today, and brought my RROR tranny skid.

I had measured the difference it needed to be adjusted for my Rock Krawler Triple Threat Lift, and he went to work.

Everything fits up perfectly. Now all that remains is to get the replacement hardware and grommets from RROR, and I'll be in business for next weekend's Rubicon run...

RC

cruzcode
03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Some more recent shots...

RC

cruzcode
03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
A few more...

RC

cruzcode
03-18-2012, 10:25 PM
A few more, while doing some long overdue PM on the rig...

EDIT: Thanks to Gary at Extreme Motorsports for being an awesome host!

RC

cruzcode
03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Here is what it looked like when I drove it home from the Michael Stead's in Walnut Creek in 2009. It was one year old, had 15k on the clock, and was cherry, right at $20,500.

Ahhh, it seems as it was so long ago...

RC

Sludge Puppy
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Reminiscing a little are ya ;)

AvnxScout
03-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Here is what it looked like when I drove it home from the Michael Stead's in Walnut Creek in 2009. It was one year old, had 15k on the clock, and was cherry, right at $20,500.

Ahhh, it seems as it was so long ago...

RC

WTF???No tire shine on the little guy????

RRauzer
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Ah... they grow up so quick... Time to get a new one and start "Build 2 - the Electric Boogaloo"

Extreme454
03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Nice updates :)

binarypie
03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
for some reason i'm not following this thread. Subscribed! :gluging:

HOGGSTATUS
03-19-2012, 04:13 PM
for some reason i'm not following this thread. Subscribed! :gluging:

Why?! Do you need more info on uses for Tire Shire? :stirthepot:

cruzcode
03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Why?! Do you need more info on uses for Tire Shire? :stirthepot:

2010 called, and they want their cut-down back!

Come on, I realize that I'm a difficult read, but there has to be SOMEthing that you can razz me about, other than tire shine! I'm about to categorize you in the same unoriginal bucket that I categorize Freeman! :thefinger:

RC

09rubicon
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
2010 called, and they want their cut-down back!

Come on, I realize that I'm a difficult read, but there has to be SOMEthing that you can razz me about, other than tire shine! I'm about to categorize you in the same unoriginal bucket that I categorize Freeman! :thefinger:

RC

Fine! The 80's called, they want their chrome back. I'm surprised you don't have quad exhaust tips yet!

Sent from my chocolate starfish at the speed of smell

AvnxScout
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Fine! The 80's called, they want their chrome back. I'm surprised you don't have quad exhaust tips yet!

Lets not forget the chrome windshield wipers...the 2 blade each side type

cruzcode
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Here is the latest mod, that is almost complete. A flush-mounted, 1x6 Rigid LED Flood Light, fully recessed into my Smittybilt XRC bumper.

It came out nicely, and many thanks to Jim, Paul, and Ray for helping with this project!

Tonight I'll be aiming it, and siliconing the surround.

RC

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-f673-43fd.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-f684-ad2c.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-f697-0828.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-f6a2-e45d.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-f6b2-c693.jpg

09rubicon
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Lets not forget the chrome windshield wipers...the 2 blade each side type

RC would go quad-blade (faux of course). And judging by his motorcycle pics, they would be a pastel color of some variety! Black-light's are rad yo!

cruzcode
03-19-2012, 10:56 PM
A few more, for you quad-blade windshield wiper jackasses...

RC

Lights Off
http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-1b7a-4897.jpg

Lights On
http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-1b95-78ad.jpg

Three parking spaces wide at 40', and very freaking high (actual unit of height measurement)
http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-1bfb-a338.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-1c0c-dc8c.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b558d3-1c1e-2cec.jpg

RRauzer
03-19-2012, 11:54 PM
That's pretty slick RC! :beer: Did you contemplate putting in just above (still recessed) the hitch to allow more downlight right under your rear? A bit hard to tell from pic how close the light disperses from back of jeep.

Oh and what the hell man! - you valley mall crawlers have a lift to work on your jeeps now?!? :word:

cruzcode
03-20-2012, 06:59 AM
That's pretty slick RC! :beer: Did you contemplate putting in just above (still recessed) the hitch to allow more downlight right under your rear? A bit hard to tell from pic how close the light disperses from back of jeep.

Oh and what the hell man! - you valley mall crawlers have a lift to work on your jeeps now?!? :word:

Thanks, Mark! I did consider that, but with the bevel of that portion of the rear bumper, along with recessing it, two concerns came to mind: 1) it would be considerably more difficult to fab in, and finish the way I would like it (without losing sleep over the install), and 2) I felt I would be giving up the height of where the pattern of light would project.

I think it have it aimed right, and am pretty happy. But Jim rolled by the RC Garage last night and saw it, and thinks I'll be very pleased when it see if in the dark. We'll see!

RC

AvnxScout
03-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Valley Mall Crawlers...Didnt see you on the snow run tough guy

cruzcode
03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Oh, and regarding the lift, Mark. I'll ignore the Mall Crawler comment. :D You'll have access to it as well on 3/31 at the Meet & Greet.

Just PM Jim with what you want to accomplish, so he can reserve lift time for you. :)

RC

cruzcode
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Hawthorne called it correctly, as I have been feeling nostalgic lately. It was August of 2009 when I bought my 08' JK, and started down a new road, soon to be with chrome wheels, a fun build, and new friends!

As I look back on my build, for a lot of you, it has really been "our build", as a lot of blood (sorry Jim), sweat, and tears (Freeman as he wept because of schedule conflicts for Install Parties & M&Gs) went into discussing, planning, fabricating, and wrenching on the rig.

I have appreciated all of the help, advice, and wrench-time that the following people have committed to me and my rig, and I would like to take a second to say "thank you" to the following people (in chronological order):

2009:

Gary Graham @ Extreme Motorsports: (Extreme454) When I bought my Jeep, I drove straight to Extreme Motorsports in Brentwood, CA, and Gary (and later Ralph) helped me with determining the initial course for my build. It started as a mall crawler with a BDS 4.5 coil spring lift and 35's, and I appreciated the direction, and patience that he and his team had with my OCD when it comes to installation, tweaks, and adjustments. Gary got me started off of the right foot, and was the original Jeep "crack dealer" for me.
Ralph Cole @ Extreme Motorsports: Ralph is Gary's right-hand man, has a lot of experience in the business, and went out of his way to make sure that my rig got the attention and mods that it needed, when I brought it to him.
Gib Lee: Gib is a good friend, former co-worker & roommate, and Gib is a fellow gearhead & hot-rodder, at heart. Gib committed countless hours with me in our driveway wrenching, hammering, and installing various mods, when I decided to begin doing everything (other than welding) myself on my rig. Gib, thanks for the help you've given to the foundation of my rig in the early days.
JKO: I joined JKO, gained a wealth of knowledge and information, and more importantly got to know many people on the board, which later developed into many of the friendships listed below.
2010:

Rob Galletta: (rubirobv) Rob is like a big brother to me, and one of the original founders of the NorCal, JKO, "Phone Booth".
Brian Bellefeuille: (Eugene) Brian is one of the other founders of the NorCal, JKO, "Phone Booth"
Scott Freeman: (09rubicon) Scott pulled me out of the mud pit on first trip to Carnegie in January of 2010, when I had no business impersonating a redneck. That moment turned into a great friendship with a veteran.
Marcy Border: (Marcy) Marcy is an excellent ambassador for JKO, Pirate, and the female contingent for wheeling and all the we do (cough, drinking, cough, cough, hammerdo). She is a good friend, and is always a pleasure to have around, when she is available! :)
Jim Soldate: (Family-JK) Jim is one of my closest friends, and the hours that he and I have logged working on each other's rigs, in addition to many of the rigs rolling around in NorCal have been rewarding! We love helping others, completely free of charge. We have appreciated the people that have helped up get into this hobby & lifestyle, and that did so with charging. We enjoy paying it forward, and doing the same for others. We have had M&G's, Install Parties, Parties, and have witnessed shenanigans along the way. Our friendship has resulted in many other friendships within NorCal, and has been a great thing! Thanks Jim, I appreciate you! Oh, and I forgot to mention. Jim took over for Gary in 2010 as the new crack dealer. Our competitive nature drove us both to build our rigs and nearly drove us to drink! Thanks crack dealer!
James Hawthorne: (Sludge Puppy) I rely on Hawthorne to help to keep my wit sharp. You should too. If you don't, he'll own you in a battle of wit! Ooookay, he is cool to hang/wrench/wheel with too, and is a great guy.
Paul Cheever: (BIGROCZ) Paul is a good friend, and has helped me design several concepts that have become (and will become) reality for my rig. He is a great guy, friend, wheeler, and fabricator!
Jim Rowe: (heepinjim)
James Mattos: (j.mattos)
Kenny Hauk @ River Raider Off-Road: (crash)
Jeremy Purick @ Rock Krawler: (Rock Krawler Suspension)
Thean Bellocchi @ Poly/Synergy: (crusty1007)
Dave Schlossberg @ Poly/Synergy: (PIG)
Drew Burrough @ Poly/Synergy: (GOAT1)
John Angelastro @ sPOD: (sPOD-guy)
Scott Domanick @ Dynatrac: (Dynatrac)
Tony Morse @ PAG: (IBROCUN)
Jason MacDonald: (jason mac)
Jeff Y*****: (HOGGSTATUS)
Stacy Sandkulla: (R8R ROK)
Derek Clark: (SCARDUP)
Mark Sichlinger: (RRauzer)
Spencer Petrehn: (marinespence)
2011 & 2012:

Ray Fowler: (AvnxScout)
Anoop Nagwani: (xbs)
Jonathan Regalado: (PJohn)
Scott Henderson: (hscott200)
Noah Rael: (brody715)
There are many more who I have not listed, as we haven't wrenched together (yet) per se, yet I have had the honor of earning your friendship. Wrench-time, wheel-time, or time spent shooting the breeze, I appreciate you all.

Although my Jeep and this newer, added, dimension of my life (as of 2009) doesn't define me, this experience and all of the friendships that have come with it, have definitely added flavor to, and enhanced my life for the better, and for that I'm truly appreciative to you all (mentioned and unmentioned). :D

Thank you,

RC

09rubicon
03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
He's right, I have cried a little :sad:

cruzcode
03-20-2012, 10:38 PM
A cool shot from Carnegie's last run...

RC

brodi715
03-20-2012, 11:31 PM

RC

Duuuude, this shot is the mutha flippin'!!! It's good times hangin/wrenchin with you, Jim and the crew! :rockon:

cruzcode
03-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Duuuude, this shot is the mutha flippin'!!! It's good times hangin/wrenchin with you, Jim and the crew! :rockon:

You too, bro. Good times, and many good times ahead of us.

RC

JKDinker
03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Rick, you will be glad you mounted the light where you did. Looks great! Because we all know your next move is 40"s! Talk about addiction! :)

AvnxScout
03-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Rick, you will be glad you mounted the light where you did. Looks great! Because we all know your next move is 40"s! Talk about addiction! :)

Maybe we can get him on that show Intervention....Only thing is we would all have to be on it

Extreme454
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM

RC

So sick!

JKDinker
03-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Maybe we can get him on that show Intervention....Only thing is we would all have to be on it

Ha! The Venders would be their special guests! The true Dealers!

Family-jk
03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
:laughing2: Hi my name is Jim and Im a Vender-Holic :word:

09rubicon
03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Hi, i'm Scott and I sold my family for jeep parts.....

cruzcode
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
"Operation Rubber Glove T-Case Inspection" is commencing shortly...

Prognosis to be determined.

RC

JKDinker
03-26-2012, 07:29 PM
"Operation Rubber Glove T-Case Inspection" is commencing shortly...

Prognosis to be determined.

RC

I know what the problem is RC, with your TCase!!! Its called Atlas Disorder.

There is only one cure. Its called Advance Adapters. Just dial 1-800-I-Need-A-Friggin-Atlas, talk to Scott and get your meds!

It won't be cheap, medication normally isn't. And whatever you do. Don't ask for the generic. You want the good shit.

But it will cure you. Your problem will clear up. Trust me! I know. :grinpimp:

Sludge Puppy
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM

There is only one cure. Its called Advance Adapters. Just dial 1-800-I-Need-A-Friggin-Atlas, talk to Scott and get your meds!

It won't be cheap, medication normally isn't. And whatever you do. Don't ask for the generic. You want the good shit.

No Better Medicine than an Atlas!

AvnxScout
03-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Wonder if his health insurance will cover it unlike the Jerpies his Jeep has

BIGROCZ
03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm the guy in the dark shadows with your fix...not the Cartell connection but your street level devil that keeps you coming around my side of town....ha ha ...come see me Rick, I have your "medicine".....lol:scary: