Rockwells anyone???? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rockwells anyone????

turbosniper1
10-11-2007, 10:50 AM
So I searched the forum and didn't find anyone that has dropped rockwells under their JK yet.... Has anyone done it? If not rockwells, has anyone really made their JK truly massive? Say 42"+ tires? Let's see some pics and stats if you have!
Thanks,
Matt

dayton1999
10-11-2007, 03:06 PM
So I searched the forum and didn't find anyone that has dropped rockwells under their JK yet.... Has anyone done it? If not rockwells, has anyone really made their JK truly massive? Say 42"+ tires? Let's see some pics and stats if you have!
Thanks,
Matt

Off Road Evolution has Dynatrac Pro Rocks under a few rigs, but not Rockwells. And I'll tell you honestly, there isn't a whole lot of places a Rockwellized rig could venture that a JK with Pro Rocks couldn't follow. :)

I've seen Mel's big black rig in action and I have to say a JK with Pro Rocks is pretty damn impressive. Hell, mine with Rubi 44s is awesome. The new suspension on the strength the Jeep engineers endowed the JK with is awesome...

Sorry, got off topic there. :)

I saw the Ultimate Adventure Jeep this last weekend and while it's not "really" a Jeep, the Dodge frame and axles are pretty f'ing impressive and it's on 42s or 44s... Check it out if it comes to a show near you!

Weasel
10-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Rockwell are not so much of a good otehr places but an axle that won't break as easily with 42,46,47,54" tires, They have some other things that some people like.

Paul08Wrangler
03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
So has it been done yet? Rocks under a JK?

Goodysgotacuda
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Dang, draggin the boot up from the bottom of the ocean with the 2007 thread. I've yet to see a JK with those, imo, it'll be more of a buggy than a JK at that point.

100dollarman
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Still thinking about it...

I have Rocks in stock for $1000 per set!:grinpimp:

Paul08Wrangler
03-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the update. 100dollar it would be expensive to get those to Houston, besides up in Lufkin tx they are 899.00 a set. Wish you were closer where I could get some tires though!

Dr.Dirty
03-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Do it hundy LOL

Goodysgotacuda
03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
What is the weight on those suckers?

kkuntz01
03-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Can't speak to the JK on Rockwells, but I know a guy with a YJ on Unimog's...

http://my.project-jk.com/data/1927/medium/IMG_6108.jpg

Vertisce
03-08-2010, 09:41 AM
You need to beat that man with a wet noodle for defacing the Jeep grill with that...seriously...is that a Mercedes Benz logo?

kkuntz01
03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
You need to beat that man with a wet noodle for defacing the Jeep grill with that...seriously...is that a Mercedes Benz logo?

Sarcasm for those sad days... :shaking:

He's done a lot of the work on that rig himself. I think he bought with the unimog's on leaf's and then did everything else like the coilovers and the exo. If I recall correctly, the crawl ratio is crazy sick in that thing. Hell I wish I was as talented as this kid after seeing serveral of his other "toys" he's built.

Mikey's Rubi
03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Unimogs are Mercedes...it's funny!

maverick
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Unimogs are Mercedes...it's funny!

Nahhhhhhhh.... it's just an upside down peace sign. :laughing:

Marine01
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I have to agree, a rockwell is very wide and VERY heavy. It I was building a 1000HP mud bog machine I might consider them (but likely just do a 14 bolt).

For wheeling and DD the ProRocks or RockJocks are the way to go in my opinion.

I have a set of ProRocks, and i would agree that on 37" tires i am overkill with the axles but I have room to grow and don't worry about braking them.

I just couldn't imagine rockwells in my JK!

Vertisce
03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Sarcasm for those sad days... :shaking:

He's done a lot of the work on that rig himself. I think he bought with the unimog's on leaf's and then did everything else like the coilovers and the exo. If I recall correctly, the crawl ratio is crazy sick in that thing. Hell I wish I was as talented as this kid after seeing serveral of his other "toys" he's built.

Hey I don't doubt that the beast can do some mean rock crawlin but still...a freaking Mercedes logo.

Unimog is made by Mercedes? I thought it was it's own company...even still...you see a Mercedes logo you think freaking nice pavement car not rock crawler...lol

OffRoadGeorge
03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
$100 if you do it get rear steer!!! So much fun and the turn radius is great:smokin:

The Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's work well under my JK with 40's. I stuck with 40's only because I would have had to make a new spare tire carrier for 42's. The 42's fit well under Mel's. I am 6 foot tall and jumping up is tuff if you don't park just right on the trails. Had to lift my Girl up several times.:beer: it's ok cause I get to grap her a..

RotorHead
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey I don't doubt that the beast can do some mean rock crawlin but still...a freaking Mercedes logo.

Unimog is made by Mercedes? I thought it was it's own company...even still...you see a Mercedes logo you think freaking nice pavement car not rock crawler...lol

Lighten up Francis. It's funny. :beer:

Bob from Mountainside Offroad Park in Alabama has a BMW grill on his buggy.Hell I think he's got the hood too. I'm too lazy to hunt for a picture, but it's humor that makes life worth livin'. :smokin:

Nothing personal Vertisce, just bustin' your chops a bit.

terrahawk
03-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Look real close, you might notice something.

http://www.truckpaper.com/images/Truck/fullsize/79227645.jpg

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02april/unimog.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/grizfur/unimog.jpg

Paul08Wrangler
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Did someone say Rocks under a JK?????????

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Rockwell%20JK/2010-05-17100804.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Rockwell%20JK/2010-05-17100819.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Rockwell%20JK/2010-05-17101001.jpg

Jared89
05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
That is crazy.:beer:

100dollarman
05-17-2010, 08:31 PM

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Rockwell%20JK/2010-05-17100804.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Rockwell%20JK/2010-05-17100819.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Rockwell%20JK/2010-05-17101001.jpg

Well, you beat me to it fucker! Looks awesome, dude. VERY cool-- VERY jealous.:thefinger:

You are the man-:beer:

100dollarman
05-17-2010, 08:32 PM
When you can, how 'bout post a pic sitting on the ground-- I want to see how tall you had to go.

Paul08Wrangler
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
When you can, how 'bout post a pic sitting on the ground-- I want to see how tall you had to go.

No problem, gona be two weeks or so then it should be on the ground on it's all fours.

bodyguy
05-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Damn thats kick ass

Marine01
05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I have ProRocks, and they could easily handle 42" tires...not sure why you would want rockwells unless you are running 52" tires and 400HP+??

EmbarkChief
05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
No problem, gona be two weeks or so then it should be on the ground on it's all fours.

LOL, please tell me you are going to drive that by my shop. I'm pretty sure it was you that came in for some hoses about 4 months ago?

Independent Hose & Expansion Joints Inc.
On Wallisville in Houston...

Paul08Wrangler
05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Yep, you just got your new 4 door when I was over there.

Paul08Wrangler
05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
I have ProRocks, and they could easily handle 42" tires...not sure why you would want rockwells unless you are running 52" tires and 400HP+??

I have,,,,,,,,I have,,,,,,,,,,,, I have..........So what! Don't care what you have. I do know you have better than 15,000.00 worth of upgrades to your ride..........So what! Did you buy it for off road use only???? Didn't think so. I built my ride the way I wanted it and made it all with my hands and not with my credit card and a phone call..... Tell ya what, you do what you want with your jeep and I'll keep doing what I want with mine.....deal? Wouldn't normaly say anything to coments like yours but, this was your second negative remark.

Here's you a link to my JK build that I built, Not Quadratec built and sent to me in the mail.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27357

Hittnthebz
05-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Props to you man! I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Phoenix07013
05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I suppose like anythig else it's doable, like a turbo or two, nitrous, diesel, an iPad.

How usable it is it's another question

i just think most of us, whether on sr-a's or 42's, we still do use our jeeps for dd, or at least like the idea that we can get to Moab, the local trail, or the meet and greet next week, without havingto trailer.

Rockwells are cool, like an m1a1 is cool, or an inline 6 cummins is cool, but really?

A lot of ppl question the driveability of even 40's, purely based on unsprung weight, can you imagine what it would be like with close to 2500lbs of axle, tire wheel combo.

Like so many hav said before, buggy ok, jk, alittle much

Paul08Wrangler
05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
:shaking:I suppose like anythig else it's doable, like a turbo or two, nitrous, diesel, an iPad.

How usable it is it's another question

i just think most of us, whether on sr-a's or 42's, we still do use our jeeps for dd, or at least like the idea that we can get to Moab, the local trail, or the meet and greet next week, without havingto trailer.

Rockwells are cool, like an m1a1 is cool, or an inline 6 cummins is cool, but really?

A lot of ppl question the driveability of even 40's, purely based on unsprung weight, can you imagine what it would be like with close to 2500lbs of axle, tire wheel combo.

Like so many hav said before, buggy ok, jk, alittle much

Bla Bla Bla......................:shaking:................ ............THIE IS MY DAILY DRIVER:smokin:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/JACKUPCAR-1.jpg

STUPIDFACE
05-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Damn thats kick ass

X2....The Regal too, or is that a Cutlass?:D

corey d

Mikey's Rubi
05-18-2010, 07:07 AM
rockwells are a fuck ton cheaper than prorocks if you build it up yourself. nice work man...great job. Now...get some shocks and springs on that and beat the piss out of it. Who cares what people here say about it?! NICE WORK!

Hittnthebz
05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
:shaking:

Bla Bla Bla......................:shaking:................ ............THIE IS MY DAILY DRIVER:smokin:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/JACKUPCAR-1.jpg

That car gets around:laughing: like a $2 hooker. I have seen that car on several automotive forums over the past few years.

Proud Rebel
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Oh I like, I like....aaahhh yeah

rerard2
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
I have,,,,,,,,I have,,,,,,,,,,,, I have..........So what! Don't care what you have. I do know you have better than 15,000.00 worth of upgrades to your ride..........So what! Did you buy it for off road use only???? Didn't think so. I built my ride the way I wanted it and made it all with my hands and not with my credit card and a phone call..... Tell ya what, you do what you want with your jeep and I'll keep doing what I want with mine.....deal? Wouldn't normaly say anything to coments like yours but, this was your second negative remark.

Here's you a link to my JK build that I built, Not Quadratec built and sent to me in the mail.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27357

Props dude, couldn't agree more, seems like there are a lot of guys out there who just think its about who can spend the most money rather than actually building a cool rig.

nlgrav182
05-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Props dude, couldn't agree more, seems like there are a lot of guys out there who just think its about who can spend the most money rather than actually building a cool rig.

I'm sure a lot of those guys would love to be able to truss their own axles and install their own long arms and all that stuff. They just may not have the tools or the know-how, but it doesn't make their rigs any less "cool." If you want to take it that way, then everyone lower, weaker, and stiffer than Straight to Ridiculous has an uncool rig.

Paul08Wrangler
05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm sure a lot of those guys would love to be able to truss their own axles and install their own long arms and all that stuff. They just may not have the tools or the know-how, but it doesn't make their rigs any less "cool." If you want to take it that way, then everyone lower, weaker, and stiffer than Straight to Ridiculous has an uncool rig.

Your opinion doesn't matter either! This thread is about Rockwells under a JK...Nothing else.

bodyguy
05-19-2010, 06:24 PM
WTF happened to this thread. No one gives a shit if you dont like it, just close the thread and move on. The title said nothing about what are your opinions on rockwells anyone??? If you dont see the need for them then dont worry about it cause you will never need them.

Phoenix07013
05-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry, I dunno if I made myself clear

Yes for "my jeep" rockwells are about as cool as a turret mounted .50 cal. Would I do it?no. Would it be cool if I ever saw a thread about it, where I get tonleatn and see what is possible? Absolutely. Is the whole point of a forum to get all points of view across, even the not so favorable ones? You tell me.

Like I said I appreciate that someone is putting rockwells on the jk, I think it's as cool as female breasts (ok not that cool).

Anyway, that's my explanation for my previous point.

Going back to the rockwells

I'm hoping to learn something about non traditional axles,

Would portal axles make any more or less sense than rockwells???

Paul08Wrangler
05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Would portal axles make any more or less sense than rockwells???

More ground clearance. More expensive all the way around though.

Hittnthebz
05-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Does that mean that Portals on JK have not been done yet? Am I tempting you Paul08Wrangler? Haha That would be awesome to see if you decided to tackle another axle swap. How much more would that be compared to what you are doing anyway? Is the cost so much that the added ground clearance would void any reason for doing that?

100dollarman
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a set of 5 ton Rocks sitting here in the yard...;)

Phoenix07013
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
mopar skunkwerks did ...something, if you gooogle it enough youll find it

this is my understanding...

undue stress on the rest of the drive line

heavy,

expensive

one of the things i believe in is, if you strengthen something the next more expensive part is going to give out

HeatTreater
05-20-2010, 04:33 AM

cause he can!!:thefinger:

ALASHA
05-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Does that mean that Portals on JK have not been done yet?

Jeep did it:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26760

terrahawk
05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Massive fail in understanding what the dude you responded to posted.

Nobody said those rigs weren't cool. The point is that somebody that dropped their POS off at Pep Boys and bought a bunch of parts from JC Whitney to be bolted on by somebody with a little knowledge of how to do it shouldn't be talking trash or down to somebody that does.

Here's your sign.:thefinger:

Prope
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Wow, nice work! I can't imagine how many hours you have in it already!

SASQUATCH
05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
mopar skunkwerks did ...something, if you gooogle it enough youll find it

this is my understanding...

undue stress on the rest of the drive line

heavy,

expensive

one of the things i believe in is, if you strengthen something the next more expensive part is going to give out

:laughing: @google it...yeah, well you know some say little mods like bodylifts can stretch shit that shouldn't be stretched, so damn those who go to the extreme!....Damnnnn Youuuuuuu :pissed:(Charlton Heston, Planet of the Apes)...

Best advice, is keep reading and learn something. He knows wtf he's doing and isn't afraid to tackle doing his own work, ideals, etc.

Big props to ya Paul! :beer:

mudboy
05-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Mog 404s have a 19" pinion so pinion angles would obscene even in a 4door

Hittnthebz
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Jeep did it:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26760

I didnt realize that Jeep had Portals at the time but I saw that video a few months back.

St.AndrewsJeep
05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
All yall hollerin "too much stress" and all that....you're nutz. I bet yall don't know Rockwells usually have a 6.72 gearset in um, do ya? No stress in turnin that. Paul, I think your Jeep is awesome. Great work. It just shows what can be done if somebody just has the desire to do it. :beer:

mudboy
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
All 2.5 ton Rocks have 6.72s. I agree it's not too much stress The other nice thing is the price. You can usually find a set for less than one single used front 60. You also have more ground clearance and a rounded bottom instead of a lip, like a 60. Main problem with getting them under vehicle is the fact that they are top loader and you run across clearance problems. For the price tat a person may spend on a rock jock I could buy a set of Rockwells and have the OVE axles and Detroits Front and back. And point blank you arent breaking with a 6 cylinder. Alot of people like to think with their wallets and not their heads.

Paul08Wrangler
05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
From another board.........This is where I bought mine.

"Wes Tobias"
I got a set of 2 1/2 tons ujoint style axles with tires and wheels $900....I also got a set of 5tons with tires and wheels for $1000.......starting different project....email uctail@yahoo.com

He's located in Dibol Texas just a few miles south of Lufkin Texas on Hwy 59.

mudboy
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
going price nationwide seems to be 800-1000 if you do some searching. U-joint style is the only way to go. nice thing about the repezza style axles though is you can usually get them cheaper and if you ever break them there is no modsrequired to put u joint styles shafts in.

Marine01
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM

F* Both of you! I actually did build my rig in my two car garage and have the prove of it!! I didn't just give out my credit card and have someone built it for me!

My point was not to spend the most money!!!! My point was to make my daily driver good and both on and off road. It this was a trailor queen then I would have done junk yard 14 bolt rear and 60 front and removed all the electronic crap!

I am impressed with your build and wasn't knocking what you have done, I was simply saying that rockwells are VERY heavy, VERY wide, and really a D60 or 14 bolt is plenty sufficent UNLESS you are going to 44"+ and 400 HP!!

Shesh dude, get off your high horse and shove it! :pissed:

Paul08Wrangler
05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Your opinion still doesn't count!

BenFoo
05-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I like turtles......

and now back to your regularly schedule programme

Phoenix07013
05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Just curious, what kind of brakes will you be running?

Also, steering set up?

Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like the front is triangulated, is this right?
What kind of setup will you be running in the back?

What about shocks and such?

Are you extending the wheelbase?

I really do think this is super cool, I can't even imagine installing my own long arm kit, and here you are making a super 2door, that's awesome

Paul08Wrangler
05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Just curious, what kind of brakes will you be running?

Pinion brakes

Also, steering set up?

Double ended ram

Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like the front is triangulated, is this right?
What kind of setup will you be running in the back?

Rear is the exact same as the front.

What about shocks and such?

www.bigshocks.com on the front and coils and shocks on rear

Are you extending the wheelbase?

Wheel base is 116

I really do think this is super cool, I can't even imagine installing my own long arm kit, and here you are making a super 2door, that's awesome

Liquor
05-26-2010, 10:57 PM
rockwells are F'n sweet. thought about it but i would have to buy a new DD. im not prepared to do that right now

back to the hi-jacking...

noone cares how your rig is built. all custom hand built parts, parts ordered from jeep porn, or paid a shop to do the install.

I'd rather wheel the 4 months im back from deployments that wrench :grinpimp:

"CAIN" heads to the shop while I'm deployed :beer:

i didnt use my credit card...

i paid cash for the work that was done to "CAIN". :thefinger:

Phoenix07013
05-27-2010, 01:15 AM
:laughing: @google it...yeah, well you know some say little mods like bodylifts can stretch shit that shouldn't be stretched, so damn those who go to the extreme!....Damnnnn Youuuuuuu :pissed:(Charlton Heston, Planet of the Apes)...

Best advice, is keep reading and learn something. He knows wtf he's doing and isn't afraid to tackle doing his own work, ideals, etc.

Big props to ya Paul! :beer:
Hehehe, you silly goose, whether this comment was in existence or not, I can assure you the universe would be the same. You sir, are the one source of failure to the law of entropy. No matter how much more you add, the universe somehow remains the same

I learn by hypothising if that's even a word, questioning, and listening, why go through the shit when, in order to avoid confuscion as it is so obvious some of the things I say lead some people to, I can go to someone in the know, and avoid any unimportant knowledge.

I know he knows what he is doing.

I also am curious to learn from him. And I unlike some, learn by asking, instead of taking words or to an extent, pictures, for granted