Question re side mkr lights/ signals not working... [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Question re side mkr lights/ signals not working...

StubEXrube
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
First of all...to be clear, I caused this problem. It is not a factory defect or anything, but I need to figure out what happened. The side mkr/ turn signal lights are not operating at all. While ago, I cut these wires and lengthened them to relocate the lights to a pair of homemade fender flares. After I stripped the wires to prepare for soldering in the xtra length of wire, the wires (the pos & neg wires on both drive and pass sides) touched together briefly. Batt was still connected as I didn't mean for them to touch. I soldered in the xtra length of pos and neg wire (only several inches worth) and hooked the lights up again...and nothing (?). I changed out the bulbs to make sure they weren't blown or burned out...and they are fine. I looked in the owners manual thinking maybe it was a fuse. Checked several fuses but am not sure if I looked at correct fuses, as there was nothing I could find designating specific side mkr or turn signal fuses. So a buddy of mine thinks that the computer needs to be reflashed or something like that...Is this true? Did I possibly overlook a fuse? I hate going to the dealership and asking them to do something that might be able to be done myself...Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW...The front grill turn signals still work.

notarubicon
09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
check the relay for it

StubEXrube
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
check the relay for it

...Where? and how?

John L
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
OK, first off, crossing the wires should not have messed up anything unless you had the lights on when they touched. I can't imagine that the system is so sensative. A bulb actually shorts the wires together, but at increased resistance.

Get an ohm meter and determine which wire is ground. Then take a test light, ground to the chassis or battery with the lead end, turn on the lights, and probe the signal wire that is not the ground. If the test lamp lights, the problem is the bulb. If it doesn't light, check further up the harness until you have a good light on the tester. I doubt there is a separate fuse for these lamps, almost sounds like cold solder joints or maybe a plug/socket combo undone further up the harness.

Good luck!

StubEXrube
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, I think that the system IS very sensitive...not sure.
Switched out bulbs on both sides- to ones I know are good...Nothing.
The lights/ turn signals were not on when this happened. Vehicle was off.
Checked the connections/ plugs...Everything is tight/ clean, etc...

I dont understand how these things are wired. They run into a connector/ relay looking thing and are loomed together w/ the headlights and front (grill) turn signals. My TJ wiring didnt look like this at all. I am not ready to undo the factory elec tape and conduit keeping all of this stuff together, and most of it is not accessable w/o removing the grill and more. I wish I could get this figured out. ugh!

John L
09-09-2008, 03:05 PM
OK, try every electrical system in the Jeep. I doubt that the side lamps have their own fuse. If something else is dead, then look for that fuse. They may be related.
Do you have a good fuse tester? I've seen some fuses that look good, but test bad. I also doubt that they have their own relay, no offense notarubicon.
This has to be something simple. Do the basic functionality test I described in the prior post, maybe that will turn something up. I'm still leaning toward an open circuit somewhere.

You may want to unhook the battery for about 30 minutes to see if that clears the problem. That will reset the computer. Or try the "turn the key on three times" trick to see if you have a code stored.

StubEXrube
09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
I will try that. Agreed that the solution is a simple one...Just have to find what that is. The only tester i have is a Radioshack voltage tester...22- 218A tester. DC V 500 max/ AC V 1000 V RMS max. tester. Its a cheap little bstrd.

Killian
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I know that the 07's did not have lights that flashed (in the fender). It came from the factory like this. There is a write up (if your intersted) that details what wires have to be connected to make the side marker lights flash with the turn signals. I did this conversion about a year back (took about 30 minutes). My opinion, you did not mess up anything.

FOC
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
my side marker lights don't flash either. just the ones below the headlights. now I wonder if they're supposed to.;)

(2008 x)