Carolina Beach - June 19 & 20 [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Carolina Beach - June 19 & 20

taxman
06-10-2010, 08:48 AM
My wife and daughter surprised me and gave us a weekend getaway at Carolina Beach for Father's Day. We'll arrive on Friday evening and are staying somewhere on the beach, near Freeman Park. We'll probably go to the aquarium at Fort Fisher on Saturday and just walk around or hit the beach the rest of the day.

I'm looking for places to drive on the beach that aren't that crowded. We looked at some pictures of Freeman Park during Memorial Day this year and were floored to see how many folks were on the beach. There was a 5-hour line to get into the park! We've been to Ocracoke and Hatteras multiple times and love driving on the beach, but it's barren compared to Carolina Beach.

Any other places that folks don't frequent that often? Anyone care to meet up with us at some point on the beach?

crestoncowboy
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
fort fisher state park is never crowded and its 30 seconds from the aquarium and ferry it is a 4 mile stretch to drive on. 10 dollars a day or 50 for a year pass check out its website. the north end of carolina beach is expensive to drive on and it sucks anyway, stick to fort fisher. some times during the year fisher is open 24 hours but that depends on the sea turtles and bird nesting. at least you get a bright red sticker to put on your windshield if you get the year pass.

levellinebrad
06-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I was there this weekend and it was awesome. Never even knew it was there. As far as driving on the beach, thats the spot. you can also drive on the beach at fort fisher. No crazy stuff but you can drive on em

taxman
06-10-2010, 03:48 PM
fort fisher state park is never crowded and its 30 seconds from the aquarium and ferry it is a 4 mile stretch to drive on. 10 dollars a day or 50 for a year pass check out its website. the north end of carolina beach is expensive to drive on and it sucks anyway, stick to fort fisher. some times during the year fisher is open 24 hours but that depends on the sea turtles and bird nesting. at least you get a bright red sticker to put on your windshield if you get the year pass.

Looks like I'll be going to Ft Fisher State Park on Saturday afternoon after we get out of the aquarium. Anyone care to join us? PM me if interested and I'll give out my cell number so we can hook up there.

Thanks.

johnmcd
06-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I.m going down to CB in the morning. kinda scared of the crowd with the school year just ending. Neither CB or ft Fisher has much in the way of 4 wheeling, just drive past the stuck H2's and find a spot to park. I do like watching a bunch of guys pushing out a stuck truck with 22's and lo profile tires.

enigmaverse
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
From here on out the beach will be fairly crowded... half my local board is in Wilmington and they all frequent the beach. If your looking for some wheelin... carolina backwoods is about 1/2 hour away. http://www.carolinabackwoods.com