Swamp Lake trail [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Swamp Lake trail

Fnord5
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I want to make this run with a bunch of guys with CJ5's, and would like to know if my stock suspension/tire JK will be abme to handle it. Front and rear bumpers, sliders, and winch, and I can drive pretty well.

I am not worried about scratches, minor dings, or beating the crap out of my sliders (it's why I put them on)

I am worried about breaking something expensive, flopping, or major body damage.

So what say ye?

And please, NO suggestions that I need 35's and blah blah blah. I am a college student on a budget

Think of it as your Jeep, could you make it through, as is?

rubirobv
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Swamp lake is rated difficult. I haven't run it but I would like to. With your stock setup, I'd think you'd be beating the crap out of your under carriage. Do you have traction ( lockers) ? That'll help with smaller tires otherwise it'll be a struggle. Not saying you can't do it, but it'll be slow going and you'll probably do some rock stacking. You won't be able to keep up with rigs that have bigger tires, lift and traction. I think traction and skid protection would be priority one.

Now, if your CJ buddies have open diffs and 31" tires then you'll all be going slow.

I took my Rubi Unlimited out to Hollister when it was bone stock. Two weeks later, I had a lift and 37" tires.

Just my 2 pennies

igofshn
06-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Stock tires as in street tires??? No. You will have trouble and will probably end up broken on the trail. When are you planning on doing it??? It probably won't open until after the 4th of July. Lots of snow.

Fnord5
06-04-2010, 06:10 PM
The "all terrain" tires that came stock on the 2009 X

That's what I needed to know, Ill opt out till I can get some real tires.

FlameRed
06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I ran swamp last year all I had done was 3" lift and 35's. I have a rubicon but I didn't have any additional skids or anything.

I made it pretty well. Only had to get tugged once. I beat the crap out of my undercarriage, but didn't break anything but beat my diffs up and rested on my driveshaft more than once. I would say that you're going to be hitting a lot with stock ride height and you're going to be stacking a lot or getting pulled a lot.

I would say that a stock jeep "could" do it, but it'll be a rough day and you better be really good friends with those CJs becuase you're going to be depending on them

RODICON
06-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I ran it last year with 37"s and a 4 door! It is a rough trail and use caution.

bflognjk
06-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Ran it with m brother last year its a tough trail and I would not recommend doing it stock.

Mule'Con
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Sounds like fun. I might be up for this one.

JK Vick
06-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Its pretty gnarly, I'd stay away until ya get a little more setup. Try red lake, brewer, or spanish. You'll have a lot better/eaiser time in a stock vehicle. But hey, you can always try! :thefinger: