HK USP 40 or HK p2000 9mm [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: HK USP 40 or HK p2000 9mm

henthorn
08-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Looking at getting another handgun, and not a glock this time (love the glock by the way)

I can get a USP 40 compact for about 650. or I can get a P2000 for 465...

The only drawback to the p2000 is its a 9mm...not the ideal carry round... but a tad bit better than a .22 :D

What would you do?

Big A
08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Whats the problem with the 9mm?

I carry an XD9SC and have it stuffed with 17 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok's with 147grain. I have a feeling that when the time comes to defend my life or the life of another, I will have sufficient stopping power. ;)

Dustoff '68
08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
2000 is a fine weapon...just don't make the mistake and go cheap on the pistol world's version of a Yugo...the chitty XD line of Croat handguns....

Big A
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Hmm.... Your a self proclaimed Gun Snob Dusty! :thefinger::beer:

If you want to talk trash guns, Hi Point and Jimenez... There are the yugo's of the gun industry.

Dustoff '68
08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Hmm.... Your a self proclaimed Gun Snob Dusty! :thefinger::beer:

If you want to talk trash guns, Hi Point and Jimenez... There are the yugo's of the gun industry.

I admit...I am a gun snob...as for the XD, I had one...the 45...that flip up thingy on top of the slide and the red pin at the rear of the slide disappeared one day at the range after only 200+ rounds...never noticed it until I got home...not thrilled with the QC of that weapon.:beer:

Big A
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Not a single issue out of mine. I think your bad experience might have been due to the XD line not really meant for the .45

Dustoff '68
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Not a single issue out of mine. I think your bad experience might have been due to the XD line not really meant for the .45

You're probably right...there were never issues when it was the HS2000 in 9mm only...like everything American, our toys have to be the size of Texas...45 acp is a bit much for that design.

henthorn
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
not to hijack my own thread but..

Anyone here ever shot a 45-70 revolver ???:smokin:

:D

God my hand hurt after about 5 or 6 rounds!

Dustoff '68
08-26-2008, 02:55 AM
not to hijack my own thread but..

Anyone here ever shot a 45-70 revolver ???:smokin:

:D

God my hand hurt after about 5 or 6 rounds!

Have shot one at the range as well as the Ruger Alaskan...way too much gun(s) for the average man

Dustoff '68
08-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Here's a fine carry piece...Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Commander size...

MarcM
08-26-2008, 05:40 AM
I like the USP better than the P2000, mostly because I like being able to shoot in single action. I have a P2000SK and the LEM trigger pull is smooth, but very long on the first round. It takes some getting used to.

John L
08-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Whats the problem with the 9mm?

I carry an XD9SC and have it stuffed with 17 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok's with 147grain. I have a feeling that when the time comes to defend my life or the life of another, I will have sufficient stopping power. ;)

One thing I don't care for in the 9 is that it's too fast and tends to over-penetrate, especially at close range. Side note, an FBI study revealed that most shootings take place at a range of 7 to 10 FEET.
A 9mm will zip right on through the target, usually not expanding. What's behind the target? Innocent bystanders?
You want something fat and slow that will do the most damage, expend all the energy in the target and leave a large wound channel.

.45 ACP, when you absolutely, positively have to kill something:D

dougnpj
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
One thing I don't care for in the 9 is that it's too fast and tends to over-penetrate, especially at close range. Side note, an FBI study revealed that most shootings take place at a range of 7 to 10 FEET.
A 9mm will zip right on through the target, usually not expanding. What's behind the target? Innocent bystanders?
You want something fat and slow that will do the most damage, expend all the energy in the target and leave a large wound channel.

.45 ACP, when you absolutely, positively have to kill something:D

x .45:smokin:

henthorn
08-30-2008, 10:26 PM
just picked up my P2000. It was used by an HK official for 6 months and only has 100 rnds fired through it. It cost me 450$, about 400 off msrp!

Now im just trying to find Federal HST rounds... pain in the ass to find except for mail order!

Dustoff '68
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
lose weight (http://www.kmdali.com/weightloss/)weight control (http://www.kmdali.com/weightloss/)weight loss (http://www.kmdali.com/weightloss/) all weight loss products available, purchase whatever you want wow gold (http://www.gamegoldwow.com/)

You must have a fata$$ hoe for a mother to spam this site:pissed:

Jester
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I like both. I use to have a HK USP .40 and loved it.

Grover
09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
i am going to sell my glock g21 and .22 conversion for it all to get a hk usp 45. I love it. I would get the usp over the 2000 personally but I haven't shot a 2000

I love that commander dusty posted. I am a .45 guy. I don't want to be a gun snob... but I don't like the XD at all. I shot one at the gun range in Hot Springs AR. The owner of the place brought it out to me and said I should "upgrade" my glock to a XD. It didn't jam or anything. I understand hi-points don't jam either though?

Krusty
09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Dustoff '68;32459]Here's a fine carry piece...Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Commander size...

Glad to know I am not the only one here that will carry a 1911, it's down to just us..uh....mature gentlemen I guess. :D:beer::beer:

John L
09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm a 1911 carrier, standard length, commander, officers (my fav).
Condition one, the only way to carry!!

Krusty
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm a 1911 carrier, standard length, commander, officers (my fav).
Condition one, the only way to carry!!

That is my fav also, but I got talked into a Kimber Ultra II Tactical and I really like the size and weight. Another fan of Jeff Cooper, eh ?

John L
09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
That is my fav also, but I got talked into a Kimber Ultra II Tactical and I really like the size and weight. Another fan of Jeff Cooper, eh ?

Yep, Jeff Cooper and Chuck Taylor. I had a Kimber once, I was dissapointed with the plastic mainspring housing. We later tried to Acc-u-rail it, the gun wasn't the same after that. The pistolsmith that did the Acc-u-rail is a world class builder, so I know it wasn't anything he did. Later on I had him build me a custom 1911, that was a sweet gun. I would have put it up against ANYTHING on the market.

Krusty
09-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Yep, Jeff Cooper and Chuck Taylor. I had a Kimber once, I was dissapointed with the plastic mainspring housing. We later tried to Acc-u-rail it, the gun wasn't the same after that. The pistolsmith that did the Acc-u-rail is a world class builder, so I know it wasn't anything he did. Later on I had him build me a custom 1911, that was a sweet gun. I would have put it up against ANYTHING on the market.

I have 2 , the one I mentioned and a Desert Warrior, never saw a need to do anything to improve accuracy as they both shoot great. If the mainspring housing ever breaks I'll replace it. The mag that come w/them are usually junk but I replace mine w/Wilson Combat and the problem is solved.

Steel Blue X
11-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Sooo....I guess all of the people that have been killed with the 9MM can get up now because thay have been killed with an ineffective round.

A 9MM in the chest is better than a .45 in the arm. SHOT PLACEMENT is what makes the difference, chose your ammo for the target you will be hitting, if it is waering very light clothes then use a round that will expand faster, if you are shooting targets in leather jackets then use a round that will penetrate further......Give up the notion of the one shot stop, even the .45 will need more than one round to stop an attacker that is hell bent on hurting you.

All that said I have both, I dont know how I decide on which to carry, but I like the 9 for concealed carry (both are full size M&P's). Also keep in mind that the only thing a pistol is good for is fighting you way to a rifle.

John L
11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Sooo....I guess all of the people that have been killed with the 9MM can get up now because thay have been killed with an ineffective round.

No one ever said the 9mm was ineffective.

A 9MM in the chest is better than a .45 in the arm. SHOT PLACEMENT is what makes the difference, chose your ammo for the target you will be hitting, if it is waering very light clothes then use a round that will expand faster, if you are shooting targets in leather jackets then use a round that will penetrate further......Give up the notion of the one shot stop, even the .45 will need more than one round to stop an attacker that is hell bent on hurting you.

Agree on shot placement. As far as choosing ammo, what you suggest is trying to guess what your attacker is wearing. Bad idea. Carry, shoot and practice with what you are most comfortable with and stick with it. Don't expect a 5'3" female to be comfortable with a .45 if all she's used is 9mm. DON'T carry a different caliber if you are unfamiliar with the characteristics.
One shot stops rarely happen unless it's a well placed head shot. Two shots to the chest, bring your weapon to ready, assess the target. If you have failure to stop, head shot. Your job as the intended victim is to bring the fight to a conclusion in your favor in as little time and with as few shots fired as possible.

All that said I have both, I dont know how I decide on which to carry, but I like the 9 for concealed carry (both are full size M&P's). Also keep in mind that the only thing a pistol is good for is fighting you way to a rifle.

If you need a rifle, then your attacker poses no immediate close range threat.
Pistols are for CQB. Using a rifle at close range is irresponsible at best, a legal nightmare at worst. Show me a state where you can legally carry and shoot someone with a rifle. Home defense is a different story, but a 12ga would be a better weapon than a rifle.

edwin907
11-29-2008, 05:05 PM
My carry pistol was a SS Colt 45 Gold Cup (serial # 35xx) loaded with Winchester Silver Tips for most of the last 2 decades. It is my 3rd Colt 45 since the mid 70's.

Except for one magazine failure (the baseplate fell off) this is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. I did replace the roll pin holding the rear sight on, and re-staked the front sight, but that's it. The only changes were a slightly heavier spring, and the wood grips off a blued Gold Cup.
It also had the legendary accuracy these pistols are known for.

So I'm at a loss to understand these unreliable 2k pistols in the 1911 form that are now all over the market.

Admittedly, it is now mostly retired, and I usually carry a HK P7M8(or M13) loaded with Winchester Ranger ammo, but sometimes I bring the old girl out.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/CGC.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/Bodyguard-M13.jpg

Dustoff '68
11-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Fat and slow...fat and slow...Noooooo....not your wife's mantra....45 ACP, or the newer, and improved, no excess fat necessary, 45 G.A.P....I was still in the service when the 9mm was adopted...works well for women, pussies, company clerks, dentists, REMF's, and otherwise, weak and limp wristed service personnel, who otherwise, cannot qualify with a 45 ....fat and slow...fat and slow....

Krusty
11-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Don't hold back Dusty, tell him how you 'really' feel !:thefinger::laughing2::laughing2:

Dustoff '68
11-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Don't hold back Dusty, tell him how you 'really' feel !:thefinger::laughing2::laughing2:

When have I ever....:thefinger:

Steel Blue X
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
good grief.....some folks should have to fill out the ID 10 T forum before being responding.

I am far from any of the above mentioned catagories you mentioned. Maybe I'm just comfortable with the size of my male chicken and dont need a bigger gun to make me feel more like a man.

Fat and Slow....what have you become?

Steel Blue X
12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

A little information for those of you not man enough to carry the 9MM. ;)

Jester
12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Both are great guns. I had a USP .40 years ago and loved it. I needed the money and had to sell it and I regret it like hell. My opinion is the USP just because I like the stopping power. Either way though I'm sure you'll be happy.

John L
12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

A little information for those of you not man enough to carry the 9MM. ;)

Nice try. How about something that's NOT almost 20 years old. There have been advancements, you know.;)

Dustoff '68
12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
LOL.....fat and slow....fat and slow....leave the 9mm for "Chickenhawks";)

WeGo4x4
12-11-2008, 01:06 AM
I really like my USP 45 I just don't use it much......That's a good thing.....

JKrazed
12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Another fan of Jeff Cooper, eh ?

I'm also a Colonel Cooper fan. My Father-in-law is rangemaster at Gunsite, & I've had the honor of meeting Lt. Col. Cooper and stepping foot into his amazing gunroom/vault. He was an amazing man.