Power outlets [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Power outlets

rubicon_dan
08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi,

the right hand power outlet on my JK stopped working yesterday while I was using a 12v compressor. I went looking for the fuses, the manual lists fuses M6 and M7 for the 2 power outlets, but I changed both, even swapped them, and the trouble remains with the right hand side one.

Does anyone know of another fuse that would be in the power outlet circuit?

Thanks... Dan

John L
08-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Have you tried anything else other than the compressor in the outlet(s)?
Have you tried the compressor in another vehicle? Maybe it went south on you.....

rubicon_dan
08-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Have you tried anything else other than the compressor in the outlet(s)?
Have you tried the compressor in another vehicle? Maybe it went south on you.....
Yes John,

My compressor works in the other outlet. My CB also, nothing works on the right, and everything works on the left... Very strange...

PhilD
08-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Not sure if it goes through the same curcuit, but have you checked the IOD fuse, J13 ?

PhilD
08-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Before you check the IOD fuse, check M36. The FSM lists that as the fuse, and it is also listed in the owners manual along with M6/7.

jocrazy0
08-26-2008, 02:17 PM
(alright not a fix, just an observational kibbutz)

I'm not sure I'd use any high power requirement item in the 'power' outlets in the JK. The wire used to provide the juice is only 18 gauge at best. Look at it sometime. The wire is tiny.

John L
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
(alright not a fix, just an observational kibbutz)

I'm not sure I'd use any high power requirement item in the 'power' outlets in the JK. The wire used to provide the juice is only 18 gauge at best. Look at it sometime. The wire is tiny.

Good point. I've been back there with the wires, they are more like 20ga.

rubicon_dan
08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
It was M36 indeed, thanks,

Thanks for the other advice about using the compressor, I'll follow your advice, thanks everyone.

DataByte
07-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Had this happen to me this week!!
I haven't had a chance to check the M36 fuze, but I will after work...

Mine shorted out when a lighter plug broke off in the outlet...

scottyp
07-28-2009, 05:55 AM
I blew my fuses when I first got the JK x2 on wires and the fuse's are that great anyway

DataByte
07-28-2009, 08:13 AM
crap monkey!!
all my fuses are good....

any other thoughts anyone before I rip my center console apart? I mean I have to get in there anyway to put in some new LED lights, but I was hoping not to have to go digging around..

jacktuttle
07-29-2009, 07:42 AM
I added a better power outlet at the back of the jeep. It will handle 30 amps and is convenient for access from the back of the jeep for setting up camp and such.

I also added a 600 AMP plug at the front of the jeep directly to the battery.

I have 3 things that plug into it.
1. Jumper cables
2. Air Compressor
3. 1600 Watt A/C inverter. (I was using using this with an electric chain saw)

Works for me! :)

DataByte
07-30-2009, 12:06 PM
I still have no idea why this quit working... but I took apart the dash to start to mess with it, moved the wires, and it turned on... weird....
Added the new LED lights while I was in there...

jumpnt
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
I added a better power outlet at the back of the jeep. It will handle 30 amps and is convenient for access from the back of the jeep for setting up camp and such.

I also added a 600 AMP plug at the front of the jeep directly to the battery.

I have 3 things that plug into it.
1. Jumper cables
2. Air Compressor
3. 1600 Watt A/C inverter. (I was using using this with an electric chain saw)

Works for me! :)

Any pics of how / where you mounted it?

jeepersheart
07-31-2009, 11:11 PM
I still have no idea why this quit working... but I took apart the dash to start to mess with it, moved the wires, and it turned on... weird....
Added the new LED lights while I was in there...

sounds like it may have been a loose connection on the power outlet, I would check the wires going to it and see if there are any shakey wires or corrosion... you know how water proof these new jeeps are. That reminds me I just found a big ol leak on my soft top :shaking:

dita3232
08-06-2009, 11:32 AM
M36 fuse wow had not looked there...thanks to everyone!!!