Starting problem [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Starting problem

Swinge86
08-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I took this problem to the dealership, but they pulled the 'is the check engine light on? if not, we can't do anything under warranty...' card...

Here's the problem:
Every so often, when I start my jeep, it takes about 4-5 times to actually turn over completely. The engine will rev up to about 700 rpm and then just die. I thought that it was a) the a/c compressor wasn't disengaging when I shut the engine off, so it was putting too much pressure on the engine on start up (so i had a friend start it up while I watched the compressor, and it wasn't engaging until about 5 seconds after start-up). or b) the battery (even though it has enough power to start up 99% of the time and even enough to start it up when the problem happens, just not fully turn over until the 4th or 5th time) but my battery seems to be just fine.

I called the dealership and he said that it could be a exhaust sensor... ??

Sorry if my description is a little short, but I don't know how else to describe it! Any ideas/help would be awesome!!

Thanks y'all!

jocrazy0
08-24-2008, 09:21 AM
How old is the Jeep? There is a TSB for the crank position sensor (doesn't sound like your problem though, that was for excessive cranking).

Second observation. If it is SLOW to crank over, that sounds like the battery. My battery died at 22 months (not under warranty. I had 42k miles). The replacement fixed the issue. Take youself w/ battery down to O'Reilly or Autozone. They'll test your battery for free.

Third observation: Do you have an aftermarket alarm w/ bypass module? The engine running for a few seconds then dying sounds like a problem with the factory chip sensor. That is the behavior of an 'unchipped' key or a key not programmed to the vehicle. The bypass question is, on certain bypass modules, if they are not programmed to the car, but installed and powered, you'll get the same symptom as an unchipped/unprogrammed key. Just ask me how I know this :pissed:

FYI, ALL the above have happened to me. :shaking:

Swinge86
08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
How old is the Jeep? There is a TSB for the crank position sensor (doesn't sound like your problem though, that was for excessive cranking).

Second observation. If it is SLOW to crank over, that sounds like the battery. My battery died at 22 months (not under warranty. I had 42k miles). The replacement fixed the issue. Take youself w/ battery down to O'Reilly or Autozone. They'll test your battery for free.

Third observation: Do you have an aftermarket alarm w/ bypass module? The engine running for a few seconds then dying sounds like a problem with the factory chip sensor. That is the behavior of an 'unchipped' key or a key not programmed to the vehicle. The bypass question is, on certain bypass modules, if they are not programmed to the car, but installed and powered, you'll get the same symptom as an unchipped/unprogrammed key. Just ask me how I know this :pissed:

FYI, ALL the above have happened to me. :shaking:

The car is just now 6 months old... it has 7,000 miles on it. So that's one reason I'm a little hacked off about this whole thing, because it's already giving me a hassle! hahaha. I have the original alarm on it, I made the dealership take the one they 'were required by insurance for all cars on the lot' to have off the car before they gave it to me. I also was thinking it was the battery, but I've had battery problems in my other cars before and it doesn't seem like a battery problem to me at all. It's not having problems starting up, just turning over completely (if that makes any sense). When the problem happens, it seems to 'start up' and the engine revs up to about 700 rpm, but then it just dies.

p.s. sorry all that happened to you... that really sucks!

RiggerMike
08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a cracked circuit board in my key. When you start the engine, the computer sends a message to the key. If it doesn't get the correct response, it cuts the engine. Try a backup key if you have one. Oh, and get a new dealer. It is a warranty issue, engine light or not.