Steering Clock-Spring Removal? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Steering Clock-Spring Removal?

SASQUATCH
05-20-2010, 08:09 PM
I've searched every forum out there, nothing, found an online instructional to remove everything up to the clockspring and that's it. Only other thing I've come across was online Chrysler mechanics charging for IM tech tips and I really just need a diagram or walk-thru at this point.

That out of the way has anyone came across a link or know exactly what the process is to remove the clockspring unit itself? Everything is apart already, airbag is removed, steering wheel off, upper/lower panels removed, unplugged the three pigtails from the column to the clockspring assembly, I see 1 T20 torx screw and 1 philips head screw which allows the blinker assembly to slide ride out of place, but it seems there is some trick to finish removing it.

My clockspring is toast (no horn and airbag light) which is a common JK problem so I know this is what needs to replace just trying to not break/have to buy any more than I need to replace. Ordering a new one tomorrow, hopefully they have one in stock somewhere.

Mr.RonGilbert
05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Sas, I bought the Chilton's online repair manual DON'T BUY THIS YET!!! - all it shows are the trouble codes and the TSBs. When I logged on for the first time I was pissed to say the least.:pissed: I emailed and asked for a refund and got a call back a short while later. The person on the phone said that it would not be a problem refunding the money and said that the 08 JK stuff is all but finished and ready to upload, they were doing some tweaking and verifying and it would be about a month. She said that if there was a specific "something" that I needed I could email them and they would send me a .pdf. It took a couple of days to get what I needed but I got it. Pretty cool that they called back fast and had a solution for me so I kept the subscription.

I just sent the request for the clockspring removal, hopefully I will get a speedy reply.

:beer:

Once the entire repair manual is online I will post up a review.

daspes
05-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Sas, check the JK FSM (see link in sig).

Mr.RonGilbert
05-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Nice!

maverick
05-21-2010, 05:47 AM
[COLOR="Lime"] Ordering a new one tomorrow, hopefully they have one in stock somewhere.
Good Luck! They were on NATIONAL BACKORDER a couple weeks ago. That was Allen Samuel's (at Alliance) response yet Screamin Lizards searched local inventory and found one available at Allen Samuels (Fort Worth). Gotta love some dealers!

PhilD
05-21-2010, 06:23 AM
I've done it a couple of time, and don't recall anything difficult. Here's the FSM procedure:

1. Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position and inhibit the steering column shaft from rotation.

2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

3. Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN/STEERING WHEEL - REMOVAL).

4. If the removed clockspring is to be reused, be certain to secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case to maintain clockspring centering until the steering wheel is reinstalled on the steering column. If clockspring centering is not maintained, the clockspring must be centered again before the steering wheel is reinstalled. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING).

5. Move the steering column to the fully lowered position and leave the tilt release lever in the released (down) position.

6. Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN - REMOVAL).

7. Remove the right multi-function switch (3) from the clockspring (4). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/WIPERS/WASHERS/RIGHT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - REMOVAL).

8. Remove the left multi-function switch (5) from the clockspring. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - REMOVAL).

9. Remove the three screws (1) that secure the clockspring to the steering column lock housing (2).

10. Pull the clockspring (1) away from the steering column lock housing far enough to access and disconnect the three instrument panel wire harness connectors (2) from the receptacles on the back of the clockspring case.

11. Remove the clockspring from the steering column.

owtdorz
05-21-2010, 06:38 AM
They are on backorder.
567 on order with 384 to be released May 22.
Where are you at?
I can send you a list of dealers in your area that have some in stock.
Part#5156106AA

4x4LOYR
05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Just this morning my airbag indicator light & chime started turning on & off constantly. With what I've read, it seems to point to the steering wheel clock-spring. (It is annoying as hell having the "chime" sounding off every few seconds.)

How much does one of these Clock-Springs cost?

Thanks,

Ty...

owtdorz
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Just this morning my airbag indicator light & chime started turning on & off constantly. With what I've read, it seems to point to the steering wheel clock-spring. (It is annoying as hell having the "chime" sounding off every few seconds.)

How much does one of these Clock-Springs cost?

Thanks,

Ty...

$235 :pissed:

That is also a safety related item and may be covered under warranty.
If not some dealers may give a club discount.

PhilD
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I paid $176 for my last one from mopardiscountparts.com

RotorHead
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I have to replace my steering wheel because I bent it in my wreck. So far no problems associated with the clock spring. Should I replace it while I'm in there or just wait until/if there is a problem later on? Sounds like there's a lot more involved in changing the clock spring than just a steering wheel removal.

PhilD
05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I have to replace my steering wheel because I bent it in my wreck. So far no problems associated with the clock spring. Should I replace it while I'm in there or just wait until/if there is a problem later on? Sounds like there's a lot more involved in changing the clock spring than just a steering wheel removal.It is not difficult once you've got the steering wheel off, which is not that difficult to do, but if it's not broken I wouldn't replace it myself.

RotorHead
05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
It is not difficult once you've got the steering wheel off, which is not that difficult to do, but if it's not broken I wouldn't replace it myself.

That's kind of what I was thinking, especially after seeing how much that sucker costs.

Expect a call from me shortly Phil. I gotta spend some money. :D

4x4LOYR
05-21-2010, 12:07 PM
$235 :pissed:

That is also a safety related item and may be covered under warranty.
If not some dealers may give a club discount.

Thanks. (I like PhilD's price better). In the mean time I just pulled the fuses for the darn thing and the super annoying "chime" went away (thankfully). THe light is also on, but that's not a big deal until I can get the part ordered.

:beer:

SASQUATCH
05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone, in true Yeti tradition I trudged forward, took some good pics, but I'll see what writeup is on here already. There were 2 in the Houston area and going on backorder as stated in this thread...freaking $228 bucks. Works like a charm now.

maverick
05-21-2010, 05:02 PM

YES, BUT they also indicate on NATIONAL BACK ORDER.

gmalih
02-21-2014, 05:17 PM
ESP & BAS light's how to take it OFF :pissed: