HAMS check in here!! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: HAMS check in here!!

MossMan
10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
KD8GDG in WV

Thought it would be cool to have a list here of all the HAMS. Maybe we'll get a net going sometime. At the least we can share tips and compare installs and rigs. So post your call sign and some pics and details about your rigs.

I just ordered a Yaesu FT 2800 to go in the JK. I'll post plenty of pics on the install when it goes in.

MichaelW
10-08-2007, 04:24 PM
KE7ENC DM09 Washoe Valley

I have a Icom 2720 in the JK. Mounted the remote head on the radio bar from Arizona Rocky Road and mounted the base up above the drivers left foot on the sidewall.

JR
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
KE7LSD Clackamas, Oregon

ICOM IC2200H in the XJ, wishing I had the Yaesu Quad Band/Dual Receiver instead.

W3CSX
10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
W3CSX Columbia, MD

Iím running a Yaesu 8900 Quad band in the JK. The Head unit is mounted over the rear view mirror. Main body is under the Passenger seat.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e176/W3CSX/Radio/image0002.jpg

Jason

MossMan
10-08-2007, 08:16 PM
yep, that's a nice radio. I hope to step up from 2m pretty quickly.

DiscoBayJoe
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey!

K6JOE - SF Bay Area. I listen to the scanner quite a bit, but rarely transmit. I just upgraded to General in August and picked up a IC-7000. I've been so busy that I haven't actually gotten it on the air yet. I hope to mount the mini-screwdriver and UHF/VHF antennas the weekend after next.

Anyone else in going to Pacificon? I'm hoping to pick up the parts to finish the install on Saturday the 20th.

JR
10-09-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't geek into the ham stuff too much.

I got the license for the purpose of rally racing. I turn the radio on, do what I need to do at an event, and then I turn it off til the next one. That's about as in depth as it gets, until they start getting us all to switch to 6m.

extrication
10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
HI guys. I not hamed up yet but after seeing the incredible capability of a modern radio in the back crountry recently I'm convinced it's the best option for emergency communications. As I work through licensing and outfitting, I'll be asking a bunch of questions.

jdrogers
10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
WG7R here in AZ

:beer:

KCSlions
10-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Hey, First I'd like to say this is my first post. :D

With that out of the way - I'm the proud new owner of an 07 JK X. I'm hoping to get an amateur radio operator license soon, and I was wondering what I should put into my Jeep. Any recommendations? I'm a huge geek and I'll mess around with anything with a screen. Hehe.

Alec W
10-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Sorry for the hijack but could one of you in real simple terms tell me what a person needs to do to get licensed?

I seem to end up in remote places with no other rigs more these days and have been thinking about HAM or a Sat phone.

Any good links for n00bs looking at HAM you can recommend?

MossMan
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
There is a simple test you have to take to get your license. This allows you to transmit on the "ham" bands. Note that different bands need different licenses but to do 2m and 440 you just need your technician license. Go to www.arrl.org and www.helloradio.org to learn more. It's easy enough and very useful. There is a good site for online practice tests too which is all I used to study. I'll post the link after I find it again.

MossMan
10-29-2007, 02:49 PM
here is is http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

enjoy :D

AB0RTHam
11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Hello group. Enjoyed your post before. I am new to the forum but enjoy your posts. I have been in Amateur Radio for many years and just purchased a new 08 Rubicon Unlimited in Red Rock Crystal Pearl. Plan on installing my Yaesu FT 756 when I get back home. Miss the ability to get out with cell phones and love the radio. This combines two great hobbies, trails and communication with others.

AB0RT Alpha Bravo Zero Romeo Tango

Thanks for the great posts again.

MossMan
11-06-2007, 07:17 AM
What's up! Glad to have you. Post some pics of your rig (both of them) when you can.

JR
11-06-2007, 08:42 AM
What's up! Glad to have you. Post some pics of your rig (both of them) when you can.

Kinda funny short on the HAM subject here...

About 4 months ago I went into the DMV and ordered the radio operator plates for my Jeep. About 2 weeks later I got a letter saying that they undercharged me at the DMV and wanted another 44 bucks. At the time I just blew it off and didn't deal with it at all.

I got home last night, and I had two letters from the DMV in the mail. One was a new registration for the Jeep, that said the plate # was KE7LSD. The other letter was a note saying the plates were ordered, and a temp tag for the window.

Neat.

1TallJKer
12-03-2007, 08:08 PM
KG6ECW here in Murrieta, CA, moving to Reno, NV in about 3 weeks. :bounce:

I actually took quite a few pics while installing my FT-7800 in my JK. The head is mounted to a Bug Mount on the dash, the main body of the radio is stashed in the 'storage' compartment in the back. Running an Opek Glass Mount Dual Band antenna, though I'm going to have to get a new one, somehow I damaged the tuning capacitor when I moved it from the center of my windshield to the passenger side (Silly me, I forgot to check to see if the wipers would clear it. :shaking: ).

I'm actually working on putting together a full write-up of the install. As soon as I get that done, I'll post a link.

azdesertrhino
12-03-2007, 09:11 PM
KD7YLZ here from Tucson, AZ.

Picked up my 08 JK 2 door X model a couple of weeks ago.

My FT-7800 with separation kit was delivered this evening. Hope to get it installed this weekend.

Jim

bikerglen
12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
KC0VXL in Fort Colilns, CO, here. Icom ID-800 in my Tundra. Will install either an Icom IC-7000 or Kenwood TM-D710 in my '08 Rubi. Will likely install front panel above the rear view mirror, radio in hidden trunk, and a 2m/440 antenna on the spare.

Glen
KC0VXL

b1pig
01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
KG4KPI Billy out of Ray City, GA...

got a FT8900 mounted on the passenger side of the center console. just a dual band antenna. dont have the money to get a respecable quad band antenna and mount. excuse the mess... its "lived in"... :D

http://www.geocities.com/b1pig/jk/DSC01021.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/b1pig/jk/DSC00012.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/b1pig/jk/DSC00013.JPG

nam6869usmc
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=b1pig;8218]KG4KPI Billy out of Ray City, GA...

got a FT8900 mounted on the passenger side of the center console. just a dual band antenna. dont have the money to get a respecable quad band antenna and mount. excuse the mess... its "lived in"... :D
Man you guy's are serious Ham operators,...
"B1pig", that is a nice setup, you must have awesome "multitasking Skills", if I had all that and reached for my cigarettes, I would probably be tangled up in all the cords until I stopped.:bawling:

Gee, and I thought I was a big shot when my Sons friend just gave me a Cobra 29 Peeked & Tuned with(Astetic Mic) that he used when Trucking over the road. I have to admit, I went straight to the this forum http://www.cbradiotalk.com/ & they helped a noob get everything running correctly. But I think I could of gotten all my answers right her.

b1pig
01-06-2008, 02:54 AM
yea, you can say I'm a multi-tasking typer person. I get used to it. It gets busy at work..... :D

the one thing that nags the crap out of me is the little plastic ring inside the accessory plug. half of the stuff I plug into it wont work because the plastic doesnt allow the lighter plug to fully seat and keep contact on the center (+) terminal. I had to get that two way splitter so I could plug things into it. Works good.

chromedome
01-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Running a Yaesu 7800 Larsen 2/440 Antenna on a diamond trunk mount.
here are the pix:

b1pig
01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
that is the exact mount I had intended to use... but... I was (am) broke and have plenty of scrap metal. :D:D

I like the way the control head is set up. ;)

JR
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Does anyone remember how I need to go about doing an address change with my license? I just moved.

oh...and yay, they made it!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/travisroy/P1180734.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/travisroy/lightbar3.jpg

b1pig
02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
man... i dunno if i would want the suffix of LSD... :eek:

last i heard you could accomplish almost everything online. i registered, but lost my log-in info... and I have not been successful in getting it fixed.

1TallJKer
02-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Does anyone remember how I need to go about doing an address change with my license? I just moved.

If you haven't already registered with the FCC's COmmission REgistration System (CORES) you need to do that first.

Once you've registered you can update your info online. Both can be done by following this link (https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do).

Alternatively, you can update your information through QRZ.com. lookup your callsign, click "Update this listing", after you've registered you can update your information through QRZ.com