Tellico Trails to be obliterated [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Tellico Trails to be obliterated

tkob1060
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Tellico trails are going to be gone thanks to the feds :shaking:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=693643#post693643

HITMONEY
05-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Here is a link that you do not have to be a member of to read...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884834

:thefinger:

RotorHead
05-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Nothing surprising, except that I have lost all confidence in the organizations that represent us on these matters. I feel like we put our faith and money into these organizations and they completely let us down. Hate to sound that way, but that's how I feel.

Here's to you SFWDA. :thefinger:

rooster
05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
The SFWDA will be in attendance at Jeep Beach selling "Save Tellico" shirts. The Blue Ribbon will be there as well...maybe something they need to get more involved in.

yj-genral
05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
they are still fighting it but the Forestry Service is doing whatever they want regardless of what the people want on our side of the fence... only reason we got to voice our opinions in the matter in the first place was because its required by law for them to hear us out before the matter was decided upon, and they went ahead and closed it even with the overwhelming uproar that came at them... now they are going to obliterate the trails before we have a chance to "review" the reopening in i think 2012? there wont be any trails by then if they get their way. and no one can stop them... atleast we havent found a way to stop them... minority rules, gotta love democracy...

SoK66
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Nothing surprising, except that I have lost all confidence in the organizations that represent us on these matters. I feel like we put our faith and money into these organizations and they completely let us down. Hate to sound that way, but that's how I feel.

Here's to you SFWDA. :thefinger:

I sadly have to agree. BRC, UFWDA, SFWDA, etc. are ineffective and seem to not be able to grasp that playing by "The Rules" is for little kids & old fools. I've donated a lot of money to these organizations, only to watch them fail time after time. But they're really not to blame. It's really all of us in the motorized community. We're slow to act, weak willed, poorly organized & funded and prone to easy intimidation and passivity. A local Colorado woman, ex-USFS land management officer, has begun giving training classes on how to defeat "Big Environment" and their Government cronies in the BLM & USFS. The number one thing she tries to instill in her classes is that the green activists and their stooges in the Forest Service and BLM count on very little input or organized opposition to their closure actions from the motorized community. Bottom line, they think we're a bunch of clueless dopes. Until we collectively get mad, get organized and fight back, can you really blame them?

RotorHead
05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I sadly have to agree. BRC, UFWDA, SFWDA, etc. are ineffective and seem to not be able to grasp that playing by "The Rules" is for little kids & old fools. I've donated a lot of money to these organizations, only to watch them fail time after time. But they're really not to blame. It's really all of us in the motorized community. We're slow to act, weak willed, poorly organized & funded and prone to easy intimidation and passivity. A local Colorado woman, ex-USFS land management officer, has begun giving training classes on how to defeat "Big Environment" and their Government cronies in the BLM & USFS. The number one thing she tries to instill in her classes is that the green activists and their stooges in the Forest Service and BLM count on very little input or organized opposition to their closure actions from the motorized community. Bottom line, they think we're a bunch of clueless dopes. Until we collectively get mad, get organized and fight back, can you really blame them?

No, I can't really blame them, but I can blame the organizations on our side that refuse to fight. Maybe some of the people in these organizations need to take some of that woman's classes. The big problem we have now is that a precedence has been set by the places that have already closed. Now it is easier to close new places. Almost all public lands are under attach and the private parks will be next.

It's always the same thing. Sign this form letter that goes out to "insert organization or person here". We all do it a few times, but after never seeing any positive results, people just quit and figure it's a waste of time. There's gotta be a better way. I don't have the answers, but we better find some soon.

jeepndel
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I love JKO and Pirate4x4 because we are free to post up, blab, spit fire and say whatever. But sheesh, guys, it's not right to blab without knowing the facts. You're not doing our sport any favors. The "other" side reads this junk and sees how we react and act with each other.
A few folks have dumped on various organizations WITHOUT even looking at the current actions or involvement. WTF is with that?

If you want to save trails and keep motorzied recreation alive and well, do your part; get involved; don't beat up on the ONLY folks fighting for us; donate; join up and READ the stuff in front of you.

Headlines on the home page of BlueRibbon Coalition's website is TELLICO:

Latest BRC NewsRECREATIONAL GROUPS TAKE NEXT STEP TO SAVE TELLICO

POCATELLO, ID (May 7)—Organizations dedicated to active recreation management today announced their latest efforts to save access to the Upper Tellico OHV System. The Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, United Four Wheel Drive Associations, and the BlueRibbon Coalition filed a Notice of Intent to sue with various federal agencies outlining possible claims under the Clean Water Act. The claims target the U.S. Forest Service decision dated October 14, 2009, to close the Tellico trails to motorized travel. The organizations filed administrative appeals from the decision, which were denied on January 15, 2010. "The agency's actions do not surprise us, but are ca ... read more

Let's work together,
Del

maverick
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I love JKO and Pirate4x4 because we are free to post up, blab, spit fire and say whatever. But sheesh, guys, it's not right to blab without knowing the facts. You're not doing our sport any favors. The "other" side reads this junk and sees how we react and act with each other.
A few folks have dumped on various organizations WITHOUT even looking at the current actions or involvement. WTF is with that?

If you want to save trails and keep motorzied recreation alive and well, do your part; get involved; don't beat up on the ONLY folks fighting for us; donate; join up and READ the stuff in front of you.

POCATELLO, ID (May 7)—Organizations dedicated to active recreation management today announced their latest efforts to save access to the Upper Tellico OHV System. The Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, United Four Wheel Drive Associations, and the BlueRibbon Coalition filed a Notice of Intent to sue with various federal agencies outlining possible claims under the Clean Water Act. The claims target the U.S. Forest Service decision dated October 14, 2009, to close the Tellico trails to motorized travel. The organizations filed administrative appeals from the decision, which were denied on January 15, 2010. "The agency's actions do not surprise us, but are ca ... read more

Let's work together,
Del

^^^^X2!

Big A
05-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Let's work together,
Del
Well said Del.

Thanks for all the hard work! :beer:

jeepndel
05-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Listen, it's ok to be mad at trail closures and bs restrictions.
It's ok to be passionate about keeping our sport alive.
And sometimes the "average guy" might feel like he got dumped on, not listened to, or left out of some big decision. That's what does happen sometimes. But for the most part, the big orgs working for you are not malicious; not trying to ignore the "average guy", and certainly not happy about losing trails.

Hell, I'm not happy about every decision or every move our big orgs make; but by golly, what ELSE do we have on our side? That's the beautiful thing about living in this great country, and having DEMOCRACY as our foundation. We can make changes; we can get involved; we can have a dissenting opinion; and we can work together to have a brighter future.

Let's put all our passion together, on the same team, helping to win the small and big fights; and let's not eat our young or beat up on each other.
Del