Hello from South Texas [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Hello from South Texas

Duke
10-07-2007, 07:33 AM
My name is Duke Daniel. I'm in San Antonio Texas. I've been wheeling in one form or another since 1986. My current weekend plaything is a 2007 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon.

Here is a few shots of my Jeep.................

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album447/IMG_3507.sized.jpg

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album447/IMG_3530.sized.jpg

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album447/IMG_3521.sized.jpg

BlkRuby
10-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Awesome shots dude, especially the last!

Welcome

MichaelW
10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Good stuff Duke!

Welcome to the forum!

shrockworks
10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Welcome Duke! ...and nice bumper! :D

Are those pics from Texas Spur Jamboree? I went in the spring, but didn't make it in the fall.

RedRockJK
10-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome Duke! How about some specs on that sweet looking Jeep. :smokin: Looks like maybe 37" tires ?

Gib
10-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Those pics make me miss the granits playgrounds in Texas. The top one looks like it might be Katemcy. If you are in San Antonio do you know if the Slab out in Kingsland is still open? It is right by the Buchanan lake. I used to go there quite a bit when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.

Duke
10-15-2007, 05:20 AM
Welcome Duke! ...and nice bumper! :D

Are those pics from Texas Spur Jamboree? I went in the spring, but didn't make it in the fall.

The bumper and rails are holding up nicely. I just need a matching rear bumper/tire carrier now. :D:D

Yes, the above pictures were taken at Inks Ranch at the fall Jamboree a couple of weeks ago. Incredible ranch, too bad we only have access twice a year.

Duke
10-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Welcome Duke! How about some specs on that sweet looking Jeep. :smokin: Looks like maybe 37" tires ?

Thanks. Here is some specs.......

Bought the Jeep 7/16/07
3" FT Ultimate lift w/ HD springs
1" MORE body lift
(5) 37x12.5x17 BFG M/T's
Shrockworks front stubby
Shrockworks rock rails
Tuffy Security Drawer
Modified factory fogs to work as rock lights
Relocated EVAP

Within the next 30 days I should add.....
5.13 gears
replacement 1350 driveshafts

By the end of the year, I should add.....
alloy shafts
tube doors
rear bumper/tire carrier

Duke
10-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Those pics make me miss the granits playgrounds in Texas. The top one looks like it might be Katemcy. If you are in San Antonio do you know if the Slab out in Kingsland is still open? It is right by the Buchanan lake. I used to go there quite a bit when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.

Those pictures were taken at Inks Ranch, which is very similar to Katemcy, but on a slightly grander scale.

We used to go to the slab alot, but unfortunately the State closed all water ways a couple of years ago.

We now regularly go to a local ranch, Long's Ranch, that is little over 5 miles from the entrance to the slab. In fact we were there on Saturday. Here a couple of pictures........

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/Jeep-JK-Rubicon/Long_Ranch_055.sized.jpg

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/Jeep-JK-Rubicon/Long_Ranch_079.sized.jpg

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/Jeep-JK-Rubicon/IMG_3708.sized.jpg

Gib
10-15-2007, 06:21 AM
That's a great looking Jeep you've got there Duke. I had heard rumors that they shut down the Slab. It's a shame, I used to go there quite a bit with my freinds and spend the weekend there. Ft. Hood used to be open to wheeling in certain areas too, but they shut that down as well. They said that we were disrupting the habitat of an endangered bird. Funny thing is that M1 tanks are still allowed in those areas.

Duke
10-15-2007, 06:32 AM
That's a great looking Jeep you've got there Duke. I had heard rumors that they shut down the Slab. It's a shame, I used to go there quite a bit with my freinds and spend the weekend there. Ft. Hood used to be open to wheeling in certain areas too, but they shut that down as well. They said that we were disrupting the habitat of an endangered bird. Funny thing is that M1 tanks are still allowed in those areas.

In the mid 90's we spent alot of time at Ft. Hood wheelin' in Area 34. Good memories for sure.

Thanks for your service.

paragon
10-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Duke, did you make it up that ledge in the second pic? While pics suck for telling what's going on, it does appear you might belly up to the rock face.

If it did, it doesn't really appear that there are many other options to work the rears up the ledge.

Duke
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
QUOTE=paragon;2776]Duke, did you make it up that ledge in the second pic? While pics suck for telling what's going on, it does appear you might belly up to the rock face.

If it did, it doesn't really appear that there are many other options to work the rears up the ledge.[/QUOTE]

No, but looking at the picture I think I could have if I would have bumped it. Footing at the top was very loose, but if I would have seen the picture, while still there I would have tried again with a little momentum.

Someone (no names but he used to drive a H2 and now wheels a red JK - :D) told me my effort was futile so I backed off. In this case I actually listened to my spotter, who seems more sensible than me at times. :jeep1:

Here is a pic of the truck up against the ledge.......

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/Jeep-JK-Rubicon/Long_Ranch_082.sized.jpg

toadontheroad
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Duke,
Great to see you use it as it was intended. I look forward to trying some of the same efforts in the Sierras soon. I hope my pics can look as good!

MichaelW
10-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Cool pics Duke!

Bet you could have made it, without much bump, had you approached at a slight angle rather than head on. :devil:

paragon
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Duke, did you make it up that ledge in the second pic? While pics suck for telling what's going on, it does appear you might belly up to the rock face.

If it did, it doesn't really appear that there are many other options to work the rears up the ledge.

No, but looking at the picture I think I could have if I would have bumped it. Footing at the top was very loose, but if I would have seen the picture, while still there I would have tried again with a little momentum.

Someone (no names but he used to drive a H2 and now wheels a red JK - :D) told me my effort was futile so I backed off. In this case I actually listened to my spotter, who seems more sensible than me at times. :jeep1:

From the first pic, it doesn't appear you were going to even get that far. I am very pleased at how far you got and agree that just a little momentum to get the rears up to start climbing might would have gotten that. I assume you weren't hung up enough that you couldn't back down, so you had some more gas tank skid to use. ;)

As far as said spotter. I'm a little surprised. He usually isn't so reserved.:beer:

BigJk
10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey Duke

You used to live in Porter didn't you? I think I put your dad to sleep for an operation long time ago in Kingwood. Didn't you used to have a big ass Chevy truck? Frankenrover is my handle on Pirate - still wheelin' the big old Defender 110 (with mog axles and a diesel now).

Anyways, good to see you back in action with the JK. I just picked one up today as well. 4" lift/37's/5.13's are about a week away.

Duke
10-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey Duke

You used to live in Porter didn't you? I think I put your dad to sleep for an operation long time ago in Kingwood. Didn't you used to have a big ass Chevy truck? Frankenrover is my handle on Pirate - still wheelin' the big old Defender 110 (with mog axles and a diesel now).

Anyways, good to see you back in action with the JK. I just picked one up today as well. 4" lift/37's/5.13's are about a week away.

Never lived in Porter. I think you are thinking of DJ Jones, he had that green Z71 and red Zuk. I believe we have wheeled together though. I think we may have wheeled together in Uvalde or Ft. Hood ('97 or '98)when you had the yellow D90. Back then I had a lifted Tahoe and a lifted white Zuk.

Enjoy the JK. Start a thread and posts pics of the build.

BigJk
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
There ya go, now I remember you.

Many good times were had at Ft. Hood before they closed it to civilian traffic.

Ah, the memories.....

PhilD
11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Someone (no names but he used to drive a H2 and now wheels a red JK - :D) told me my effort was futile so I backed off. In this case I actually listened to my spotter, who seems more sensible than me at times. :jeep1:I thought I recognized that good looking guy ;) :D

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/Jeep-JK-Rubicon/Long_Ranch_082.sized.jpg

We'll try that ledge again January :smokin:

PhilD
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
As far as said spotter. I'm a little surprised. He usually isn't so reserved.:beer:I hate breaking other people's stuff :D