Jeep JK Spare Tire Relocation Bracket [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Jeep JK Spare Tire Relocation Bracket

PIG
08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
In case anyone was having issues mounting a 35" tire on the factory spare tire mount....

Click here for more info in the vendors section.... (http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29512#post29512)

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/images/D/IMG_3990-400.jpg

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/images/D/PPM-4012-D3-400.jpg

karnuvore
08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Id worry about my tailgate F'ing up. Im saving nickles and dimes for a bumper mounted system.

Until then, I wheel w/ a 32" donut.

PIG
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Id worry about my tailgate F'ing up. Im saving nickles and dimes for a bumper mounted system.

Until then, I wheel w/ a 32" donut.

35" is about as big as I would run on the factory tailgate.... Anything bigger WILL fawk chit up.

RotorHead
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Been running a 37" with a Warrior relocation bracket on mine for over a year with zero issues.

Just sayin'.

tgrt
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
The JK carrier is considerably better than the TJ. I was worried about leaning on my TJ one the wrong way. I have my 35" with an extension bracket and all seems fine. The only thing I watch out for is that the gate doesn't swing out. It'd be allot of force with the momentum of that big tire.

RotorHead
08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
The JK carrier is considerably better than the TJ. I was worried about leaning on my TJ one the wrong way. I have my 35" with an extension bracket and all seems fine. The only thing I watch out for is that the gate doesn't swing out. It'd be allot of force with the momentum of that big tire.

Agreed. Easy open, easy shut.

karnuvore
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Been running a 37" with a Warrior relocation bracket on mine for over a year with zero issues.

Just sayin'.

Dont go shooting holes in the excuse I am running on my wife for my bumper and tire carrier combo!

If she reads this, you and I are gonna roll!

:smokin:

jkdrone
08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a 35" on mine w/ a relocation bracket, and the whole tailgate rattles and makes a bunch of noise whenever I hit the smallest of bumps. I'm waiting until I can afford a new rear bumper/tire carrier. Until then, man, I keep wondering if its going to fall off. The whole tire wobbles (and I've checked every nut and bolt, it's the sheet metal its attached to flexing), you can actually watch it in the mirror.

I guess it's hit or miss =)

!c

Bigjerm
08-07-2008, 05:15 AM
on my last one the 35" on the gate was fine but it would have like to have this bracket to get it off the bumper. I always feared coming off a sharp ledge and pushing the cheap plastic bumper into the spare and folding up the gate.

Jason @ Warrior
08-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I just wanted to chime in a bit about spacers and large tires on the Carriers.

We've noticed really mixed results. Like Rotorhead, we've had some people run with no issues at all. Other's we've had put a 35 on and in a week split the tailgate at the seams. Then we've had people run a 37" tire and not have an issue.

In the end we decided to start requiring a tailgate overlay panel to be installed with anything larger than a 33" tire for the warranty to be valid, and even released an overlay without a center section and with all the bumper and wiring cutouts just for those folks.

Basically, just keep a close eye on whatever you bolt up. Keep an eye on your carrier and your tailgate.

RotorHead
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I just wanted to chime in a bit about spacers and large tires on the Carriers.

We've noticed really mixed results. Like Rotorhead, we've had some people run with no issues at all. Other's we've had put a 35 on and in a week split the tailgate at the seams. Then we've had people run a 37" tire and not have an issue.

In the end we decided to start requiring a tailgate overlay panel to be installed with anything larger than a 33" tire for the warranty to be valid, and even released an overlay without a center section and with all the bumper and wiring cutouts just for those folks.

Basically, just keep a close eye on whatever you bolt up. Keep an eye on your carrier and your tailgate.

Good advice. Mine is a temporary solution which I hope to replace with a real bumper soon.

I would also like to add that in my opinion you want to make sure your spare tire doesn't contact your rear bumper. I know some people think this provides support, but if you think about it it can provide the opposite effects. The bumper is mounted to the frame and flexes differently than the tire which is attached to the body.

notarubicon
08-07-2008, 11:24 AM
i need one of those