Bear Valley OHV Loop [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Bear Valley OHV Loop

gcg
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I ran the full loop on Sunday (near Truckee, CA). I can't say that I'd give it much of a recommendation at this point. The trail is badly overgrow in many, many spots. I'm not adverse to "pin striping" my Jeep even more that it already is, but I hate to do it for so little in return. The scenery isn't much to look at, you end up where you started and the wheeling is moderate at best. The best obstacles are the two winch hills, ball peen and the rock garden. I'd rate them as moderate but sort of fun. Other than those, it's lots of miles traveling over football sized rocks - no challenge but a slow and rough ride.

Brigitta
08-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Diablo Fourwheelers had used that trail for their annual "Run-a-Muck" for years.

It is a very long, dry, dusty trail. Other than the Ball Peen and winch hill 3 there's nothing to see.

Like you said, the trail is very overgrown (and has been for many, many years), and isn't worth pinstriping your vehicle.

The Fordyce Creek trail (where they run Sierra Trek) is just across hwy 89 from the Bear Valley turnoff. Much more fun but a long dirt road to get to it and you will be running it "backwards" from this side.