What do I need for my first (easy) Off-road weekend? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: What do I need for my first (easy) Off-road weekend?

mattloon
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I am planning to go to a Jeep gathering in a month. I plan on only taking it on the easy trails (first time in my Jeep). But was wondering what I needed to make sure I didn't trash it in my first experience and to be prepared.
Swaybar Disconnects
Easy Lift Kit
Spacers
blah blah blah....I don't know enough as I'm just starting to learn about my vehicle. Hoping for some helping hands here. I appreciate any assistance. thanks in advance!

beer:30
08-01-2008, 06:21 PM
rockwells, 46"s, coilovers, blown 454, 3 winches.:thefinger:

run it stock and compare it to your old rover, i think you'll be happy.
oh and dont forget :beer::beer::beer:

rubirobv
08-01-2008, 07:34 PM
rockwells, 46"s, coilovers, blown 454, 3 winches.

Very funny, I like that. :grinpimp:

I agree. Take it out stock. It's very capable. You'll learn from it. Just be aware of clearance issues when climbing over things. Be sure to have a recovery strap and somewhere to connect it just in case you get hung up on something like I did my first time out.

StubEXrube
08-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Going out w/ other jeeps is a good thing. When a rig breaks (hopefully not yours)...watch and learn. See what broke, why, and what tools they use to fix it. All the spare parts in the world won't save you, if you haven't the knowledge or tools to do the repair. Wheeling w/ other inexperienced people sucks...Lots of head scratching and lame suggestions. Tools and recovery gear should be priority #1. along w/ some driving skills. Use a good spotter whenever you feel uncomfortable attempting an obstacle...(that doesnt include your drunken frat buddy thats just there to have fun). The old guys are usually the most patient and experienced w/ spotting, but anyone is better than no one. If you do eventually take spare parts, as stated earlier...complete left/ right front axle shafts, u-joint(s) for driveshafts, and whatever else was suggested. A full size spare tire, a jack (and air source- so you can air up after wheeling) also recommended. If you want a decent list of trail tools, just ask and I'll respond w/ a fairly complete rundown of what most guys carry. x2 on the hardware as well...xtra grade 5 or 8- bolts, nuts, washers, lock-washers also are a good idea, but only if they are the correct sizes for your applications. Grease zirk fittings and check wheel lugs in the driveway before your trip as well...Preventative maintenance is key. Too much info? well i'm bored, so too bad:thefinger: Have fun and be safe:)

Ipe
08-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Matt, what gathering are you going to? The Jamboree in Bethel?

NE Wrangling
08-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Tow strap that is at least 20' long and capable up to 15K rating
Tow point on front and rear (Ball on Tow hitch does not cut it)
D-ring or two (tow strap doubles as a tree saver so get 2)
Jack capable of lifting your vehicle
cell phone (min) CB is ideal to tell the guy in front of you your stuck or need a spot
spare equal size to your other tires
Fire exting...
First aid kit
Breaker bar and metric and american sockets
Some 12 gauge wire
wire connectors
Gallon of water
food and bug juice

These are minimums

As suggested above, go with at least one guy/gal with a winch in case you get daring. Make sure they cover the cable with something heavy like a rubber floor mat or floor mat plus coats so if for some reason it lets go it doesn't turn into a weapn of mass destruction. (I forget this step as it's so simple)

I also carry a torque wrench because I haven't had time to put my quick disconnects on.

Alec W
08-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Agree with the above, wheel it stock a couple of times. I wish Id done that, I have no idea how a stock JK is off-road.

Ipe
08-03-2008, 01:21 PM
If you're looking for a set of OEM Rubicon wheels and tires I've got a set I'll sell you ;)

Seriously, I do :laughing:

jeff07jku
08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Took mine out for the first time last weekend. Wheeled trucks before but never a jeep. The stock JK will do amazing things. Use your spotter and go as slow as possible over obstacles. Talk to the people you are going with. I am sure they will pull you out if stuck. The list is endless, people will help, just don't always be the one that needs help! If you borrow something once it probably means you need one. Get one before the next outing.

Thought I was going to take the "easy " trails too. Yeah right.

H8T2W8T
08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
All great advice on taking it out stock. If your club/s area anything like ours, people will go out of thier way to help you(didn't bring the right gear, etc) and you can learn from talking to them about different lifts and other accessories. It may make you think twice about what you want after seeing what they wheel with:D

karnuvore
08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Dont forget the beer. You need one cooler for hte beer and one for the food. Possibly 2 for the food if youre bringing raw meat.

And bring a bottle of vodka in case you run out of beer.

This is experience talking here!

Crazy X
08-05-2008, 06:05 PM
All great advice on taking it out stock. If your club/s area anything like ours, people will go out of thier way to help you(didn't bring the right gear, etc) and you can learn from talking to them about different lifts and other accessories. It may make you think twice about what you want after seeing what they wheel with:D

Well Said:grinpimp:

mattloon
08-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Matt, what gathering are you going to? The Jamboree in Bethel?

I waited too long to sign-up for the jamboree. 10th on the waiting list, which is never going to happen. Actually going to the "Fall Crawl" Sept 6-7 ,NH See NEA4WD.ORG . It's closer and should bea fun first experience!

Anyone else heading up there? I'm going on Trail #2 (easy trail..baby steps here folks, babysteps)

Krusty
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Dont forget the beer. You need one cooler for hte beer and one for the food. Possibly 2 for the food if youre bringing raw meat.

And bring a bottle of vodka in case you run out of beer.

This is experience talking here!

Ahhh.....a man of much wisdom. :grinpimp: