Fatal accident returning from Cleghorn run 7-18 [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Fatal accident returning from Cleghorn run 7-18

Lensman
07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi all

On the way home from this run Lenswoman and I watched a car go off the embankment. It flipped and rolled forever. I stopped and went down the huge embankment to help. One of the passengers was not wearing a seat belt. All the windows broke and she was half way out the window with the car on top of her. It was too late for her. The surviving passengers with minor injuries all had their seat belts on. A baby, a brother or significant other 20 something and a Grandmother and Grandfather. It was surrealistic they were all milling around like they were trying to do something but no one knew what to do. I brought frozen water bottles down to ice injuries. I checked the girl no pulse. One eye half opened one opened too much. The image still haunts me. The police called us today and told us we were only 1 of 4 that called. They were calling everyone to see if they could put together a story. Here it is.
The grandmother went to change lanes and almost hit a big rig then over compensated and shot back into the big rig then off the embankment. The Mother of the little girl was not wearing a seat belt because she had a feeding tube from a previous illness. I saw the tubes when I tried to rescue her. She died instantly. The police said there was nothing anyone could do. I knew this when I saw and touched this girl. I said a prayer over the girl. Then for her family, god help her baby. There was nothing more that could be done. I climbed back up the embankment and started to my car. Puddlz saw my jeep and stopped on the other side of the freeway. He could not hear me so I gave him the universal I will call you later sign. Thanks for stopping Greg.
This incident impacted me when I started back down the road 10 minutes later. I broke down like a little boy. It was not so much the dead body as it was the human suffering incurred by the rest of the family as they realized she was dead. Milling around and moaning her name. These images are haunting me and I can't get them out of my head. I hope by writing this it will get me to the other side.
When I see accidents I often just go on by. I am now questioning my wisdom of stopping to help???????
Please wear your seatbelts!!!!!!!!!!!

wanderingtrail
07-20-2008, 03:56 AM
You did the right thing. You showed concern for another human being. Think about the people who didn't stop, they didn't care.

Ron

tgrt
07-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Try to keep in mind the story of the good samaritan. You provided comfort and a stabilizing force in that situation. You won't know what real affect you had until judgement day. When the Lord is reading through your history and you're breaking down about everything you did wrong (and we all do). He'll get to that point, read the account, and say, "well done good and faithful servant."

Alec W
07-20-2008, 07:36 AM
You did the right thing. You showed concern for another human being. Think about the people who didn't stop, they didn't care.

Ron

X2, you'd not feel any better if you kept driving.

Woods
07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Lensman, This is Woods' wife replying under my husbands name. In my opinion, you did the right thing. I am so sorry for what you witnessed. I am so sorry for the family and their loss. Of all things, Brett and I have witnessed two tragic accidents; both instances rocked us to our core and both times we immediately broke into prayer. I share this with you because while the images have never left us, the initial shock faded. You will release the pain and shock over time. Lastly, thank you sincerely for reminding us to fasten our seat belts.... With sincerity, Jillian Woods

JKTyrant
07-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I the end you did the right thing, something I hope somebody would do for me if I was in a horrible car accident. A Prayer goes out to their family and yours.

Lensman
07-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Thank you all for your profound thoughts, insights and support, I sit here in tears, yet again, though this time from the outpouring of human compassion.

MrBash
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Paul I am sorry you had to witness such a horrible accident. You explanation draws a clear picture in my mind and I pray that you get over the "shock" soon. We all have to witness such things sometime and it just reminds us of how precious life is and to be thankful for all the loved ones that surround us.

Our prayers go out to the family of the mother that passed. Thanks for sharing that with us and God Bless you. You did the rught thing.

jkpirate
07-20-2008, 02:47 PM
My prayers go out to you and your family and to the ones involved in the accident. God bless you Paul.

Billy_Goat
07-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I know what your going through. I've seen more bodies than I care to talk about. You get desensitized after a while. Just be glad it wasn't a child. My best advice to you would be to sublimate the best you can. i.e. build a model airplane, workout, go jogging on a hiking trail, go swim in the ocean, ect. Try to get your mind off it is what I'm saying. Take a CPR or EMT class and learn the most you can about advanced first aid. When you do CPR until EMS arrives Then and only Then can you say you did all you could and that makes it easier to deal with... So swallow it. Don't think about it. Don't revisit it. Delete this thread if it hurts too much to be here. I'm sorry you had to go through that. You sound like a nice guy. If you need someone to talk to PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

rubirobv
07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Lensman,

The compassion and concern you gave the victims exemplifies what is good in human nature. Thank you for being human. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did a good thing. People like you give me hope for the future.

Proud to be a part of this forum.

RobV

gcg
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I sincerely agree with the thoughts of the others here, all so well expressed. You did what many of us would not, often because we are afraid of what we might see or that we might not know what to do. You did the courageous thing and reached out to help other human beings in trouble. It seems more and more rare these days for anyone to do that, yet it is probably the most human action that anyone can take. You should be extremely proud of yourself for going out of your way to help someone that you don't even know.

The fact that it affects you emotionally is the most human of reactions and reinforces that you have feelings for others - again something becoming more and more rare. It is because you care that you can be hurt. That's something to be proud of.

I haven't experienced what you have so I can't speak from experience. But I would imagine that time will help to take the edge off. In the meantime, you should take solace in the fact that you reached out when others drove by. That does make you different than the rest in the most positive way.

My sincere thanks to you for being a good guy.

a plumber
07-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Thank you for caring, and prayers be with the family involved.

StubEXrube
07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
The following is an edited and shortened version of the PM that I sent to Lensman last nite.

As I began reading your post , my eyes welled up with tears. All I could think was that "this is some sort of sick joke"...but I knew that it was not. I feel that this family was blessed to have someone like you, come to their aid... so quickly and unselfishly...without hesitation. Fortunately you did break down, because it proves that you indeed have a soul and a kind heart. Whether or not the image ever completely fades from your memory...ultimately, will not matter, because you will likely gain even more appreciation of your own abilities and strengths that God or DNA has provided you. I have seen your "wheeling" pictures and feel that you are a man that is surrounded by a wealth of friends, family, and support. Writing and talking will help to keep things in perspective...as well as more frequent hugs...from now on, or maybe for just a while. The family was fortunate to have you come to their side despite the eminent outcome. There was nothing more that could be done and that is where "fate" took over. Solace will come to you...maybe not immediately...but eventually. My prayers are with you as well as the family. God bless you.