Clunk in Steering Revisited??? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Clunk in Steering Revisited???

moone_e1
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm still getting a clunk in the steering column after many trips to the dealer!!! go figure!! Anyway, I have greased the column going into the firewall as described somewhere on this forum. Well today, I was changing my oil and hit my head on one of the stabilizer bars!:pissed: well it moved it enough that I heard a clunk (no not my head) :laughing: My ? is... when the stabilizer bars are manually moved I can hear a clunk, where I believe is coming from the balljoint. Anyone know of a fix? or suggesion??? Dealer has replaced clock spring sensor so far...This is driving me nuts........

ColinW
07-17-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm still getting a clunk in the steering column after many trips to the dealer!!! go figure!! Anyway, I have greased the column going into the firewall as described somewhere on this forum. Well today, I was changing my oil and hit my head on one of the stabilizer bars!:pissed: well it moved it enough that I heard a clunk (no not my head) :laughing: My ? is... when the stabilizer bars are manually moved I can hear a clunk, where I believe is coming from the balljoint. Anyone know of a fix? or suggesion??? Dealer has replaced clock spring sensor so far...This is driving me nuts........

I have had the clunk for several thousand miles now...have greased it, and it still came back. I have just gotten used to it, and only notice it once in a while. It doesn't harm anything though, so I would just try to live with it...it doesn't harm anything.

As for the stabilizer bar...do you have aftermarket links? If so, you could just take a grease needle to it if they don't have zerks. That would most likely be a temporary solution to it. Did you check to make sure the bolts at the axle and swaybar are tight? There really shouldn't be much play (if any) in the ball joints. If so, you may need to replace the links/link ends.

gcg
07-17-2008, 07:49 AM
I have the RE 3.5" lift on my Jeep. It came with longer links for the front sway bar and they are "loose" in that you can hear them click if you bounce the Jeep. I don't actually hear them much at all when driving but the noise is quite noticeable if you bounce or rock the Jeep in the garage.

I had the steering column clunk for quite awhile and it drove me nuts. I lubed the joint and it was a miracle cure. You mentioned that you greased the column at the firewall. It's the slip joint covered by the rubber boot near the front of the column that needs lubed. I think PhilD was the one that described this. I bought one of the needle point style fittings for my grease gun, used it to puncture the rubber boot, squirted several pumps of the handle into it and then sort of "mushed" it all around and particularly toward the back. The noise was completely gone, along with the knocking that I felt in the steering wheel, and has not returned.

PhilD
07-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Anyway, I have greased the column going into the firewall as described somewhere on this forum. That is not the place to grease it, you should grease it at the slip joint on the shafts, the boot down towards the steering box.

I've greased mine twice in 34k miles and it keeps the "clunk" away. I fill the boot with a lot of grease, then spend a minute or two squishing it around by hand to make sure it gets everywhere.

Ipe
07-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Hmmm... I've been having this clunk in my steering wheel lately. Its more a "feeling" than a sound or anything else though (could be that I've got the radio playing too loud though :laughing:).

Okay... Lets assume for a brief moment that I'm a dunce :rasta:.
Whats this needle fitting look like? I've got a zirk connection on the grease gun hose. Is this an additional attachment? I'm assuming "yes". Does anyone have a picture of where they made this cut and added the grease?

Thanks in advance! ;)

PhilD
07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Hmmm... I've been having this clunk in my steering wheel lately. Its more a "feeling" than a sound or anything else though (could be that I've got the radio playing too loud though :laughing:). That's it, more of "click" feel than a sound of clunk.

Whats this needle fitting look like? I've got a zirk connection on the grease gun hose. Is this an additional attachment? I'm assuming "yes". Does anyone have a picture of where they made this cut and added the grease? No need to make any cuts, just use a needle adapter (pic to follow) and push it through the boot.

I put a lot of grease in the boot, not full, but still plenty of grease. Then gave it a good squishing to make sure it got everywhere. Lasted 30k miles before I needed to do it again just recently.

PhilD
07-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Excuse the crappy photo, but here it is. You can get them as part of grease adapter kits, which are cheap and have plenty of useful adapters.

Ipe
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Cool. Thanks Phil! :)

Ipe
07-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Injector bought. Grease injected. Clunk gone. :)

At least for now... ;)

Gear
07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Hello Phil,
While you have the camera out can you take a picture of the boot that we should be greasing. I was also under the impression that it was at the firewall also.:stirthepot:

Thanks

PhilD
07-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Will go take a pic in a minute or two...

PhilD
07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/steering_boot.jpg

Grover
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
the dealer is installing a new intermideate shaft for me monday. maybe I should just show them this.

venom
07-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I think I'm getting the same thing- just a slight "tap" in the wheel while driving, esp over smallish bumps like a dirt road
guess it's time to go try to find a grease needle :mr-t:

Gear
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Sweat, Thanks Phil. I was trying to grease the wrong spot.

dougnpj
07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Sweat, Thanks Phil. I was trying to grease the wrong spot.

yeah thats what she said:shaking::thefinger:

jkdrone
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I was having the same problem -- tried Phil's suggestion; at first, it didn't seem to do anything, but after putting about 500 miles on it, the 'thunk' has reduced dramatically. Not entirely, but I don't think about it every 3 seconds now. It seems to have taken a while to get all of that grease worked in (and, boy, did I add plenty of it =)

!c

07_Rubi
07-25-2008, 05:32 AM
That is not the place to grease it, you should grease it at the slip joint on the shafts, the boot down towards the steering box.

I've greased mine twice in 34k miles and it keeps the "clunk" away. I fill the boot with a lot of grease, then spend a minute or two squishing it around by hand to make sure it gets everywhere.
Did that yesterday and seems it cured my steering noises. :)

Alec W
07-25-2008, 07:02 AM
I have the same “feeling”, it’s not a clunk but I notice something. I’ll have to try this.

Alec W
07-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Mine gets all mad when I try that :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ipe
07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I have the same “feeling”, it’s not a clunk but I notice something. I’ll have to try this.
Mine was definitely a feeling, not a sound and it did go away after the grease job. :)

Ipe
07-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Mine gets all mad when I try that :laughing::laughing::laughing:

You must be doing it wrong then :thefinger: :grinpimp:

Chris O.
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I also had this "clicking" noise/feeling. Greasing the slip/spline in ths shaft helped, but didnt solve the total problem.

My JK also had a bit of a shake in the steering wheel. Back and forth, rappidly (almost a slight shimmy), but I could tell that it wasnt a shimmy from the tires or steering linkage. I tightened the sector shaft adjustment on the top of the box (loosen the jam nut and tighten the allen, re-tighten the jam nut). Dont go to tight. I turned the allen aprox. 1/2 turn.

This minor adjustment solved the problem and the Jeep now drives great.

jkdrone
08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
My JK also had a bit of a shake in the steering wheel. Back and forth, rappidly (almost a slight shimmy), but I could tell that it wasnt a shimmy from the tires or steering linkage. I tightened the sector shaft adjustment on the top of the box (loosen the jam nut and tighten the allen, re-tighten the jam nut). Dont go to tight. I turned the allen aprox. 1/2 turn.

This minor adjustment solved the problem and the Jeep now drives great.

That's funny that you mention that, mine has slowly been getting more and more of a shimmy in the steering wheel, and I was wondering what it was, as I didn't feel it anywhere else. (I can feel an unbalanced tire, like when I've got a giant chunk of mud stuck in a wheel in the whole jeep.)

I'm going to try that out - as it would certainly make longer drives easier on the old arms there.

!c

PhilD
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
I tightened the sector shaft adjustment on the top of the box (loosen the jam nut and tighten the allen, re-tighten the jam nut). Dont go to tight. I turned the allen aprox. 1/2 turn. I've done that in the past on other vehicles with good results. The correct process for doing it is a real pain, but as long as you don't go too tight, a slight adjustment is pretty easy to do.

khaiwi
09-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Any picures guys showing the spots/bolts to tighten....

Apreciated....:D

Hellbound13
11-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes can someone post a pic or better description where to make this adjustment?

jtphoto JK
11-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I had a bit of a clunk in the steering which turned out to be a loose upper bolt in the front trackbar.. So far 20K without any steering clunk..

Horse12
11-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a '08 Wrangler Unlim... it took two trips, but the dealer replaced the following and it appears to have fixed the problem...

- 52060058AE Damper Steering
- 55351281AB Shaft Intermediate

Hellbound13
11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I have a '08 Wrangler Unlim... it took two trips, but the dealer replaced the following and it appears to have fixed the problem...

- 52060058AE Damper Steering
- 55351281AB Shaft Intermediate

Yeah it will come back. My Jeep has been through three intermed. shafts and each time the clunk came back over time. 12K miles now.

venom
11-09-2008, 09:39 AM
really guys its not that hard...
look at the pic phil posted on page 1
open your hood, look down in the drivers side between the motor and the wheel, your steering shaft runs through there from firewall to steering box, there's a rubber accordion fitting in the middle of it, the part phil circled in the picture
Using a needle adapter on a grease gun - literally it fits a 10 gauge hypodermic needle to a grease gun - poke the needle into the rubber accordion boot and pump 10 or 12 squirts of grease into it - then reach down and "squish it around"
it's super low tech but it makes a big difference.

StubEXrube
11-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Jk uses a low quality steering box. I have adjusted/ tightened my tie rod ends, front track bar, pitman arm. And after only 7000 miles my box is going bad. The only fix will be to replace it. (under warranty?- Probably not.). If you get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth rather quickly- while you lie underneath of the vehicle, while looking directly up at the steering box and pitman arm- you will be able to see if there is any play in it. You can do the same thing while the vehicle is tuned off to hear the "clunk" in the box a little better. The steering wheel of course, will not move as freely, but you will hear it. You need to do this on asphalt or concrete as well to get some resistance and to be able to hear it. Gravel or dirt surface will mask the noise and movement.

Chrysler uses and has used for years (in various vehicles- incl the TJ and JK) very crappy quality steering boxes. The Delphi box completely sucks. If you have upgraded tires to 35's or higher, OR if you wheel the jeep hard, and you have tried the grease trick, and tightened to spec- your tie-rod/ track-bar/ draglink/ pitman arm...Then try what I have suggested. You may be surprised, but I guarantee that there are a lot of bad steer boxes out there.

Hellbound13
11-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Jk uses a low quality steering box. I have adjusted/ tightened my tie rod ends, front track bar, pitman arm. And after only 7000 miles my box is going bad. The only fix will be to replace it. (under warranty?- Probably not.). If you get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth rather quickly- while you lie underneath of the vehicle, while looking directly up at the steering box and pitman arm- you will be able to see if there is any play in it. You can do the same thing while the vehicle is tuned off to hear the "clunk" in the box a little better. The steering wheel of course, will not move as freely, but you will hear it. You need to do this on asphalt or concrete as well to get some resistance and to be able to hear it. Gravel or dirt surface will mask the noise and movement.

Chrysler uses and has used for years (in various vehicles- incl the TJ and JK) very crappy quality steering boxes. The Delphi box completely sucks. If you have upgraded tires to 35's or higher, OR if you wheel the jeep hard, and you have tried the grease trick, and tightened to spec- your tie-rod/ track-bar/ draglink/ pitman arm...Then try what I have suggested. You may be surprised, but I guarantee that there are a lot of bad steer boxes out there.

So the only fix is to replace the box? Adjusting the screw on top wont work?

StubEXrube
11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
So the only fix is to replace the box? Adjusting the screw on top wont work?

I am going to check that as well, but I do not think that is the culprit. You also have to be sure not to over-tighten it. The fact still remains that these boxes are inferior. We'll see.

Hellbound13
11-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Is there not supposed to be play there? Cause there is on mine.

StubEXrube
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
There may be a minor amt of play- but the main thing to do it is get another person to turn the steer wheel quickly back and forth while you lie under it and look directly up at the box/ pitman arm. You can hear the "telltale" clunk/ thump, (if the vehicle is off- because it is not very loud) and see whether or not the shaft (to the pitman arm) is moving excessively, as the pitman arm will not be moving excessively).

Mine is getting worse since my last off road trip.

Hellbound13
11-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Back from the Dealer. They replaced the steering box and now the clunk is gone and the steering is tight again. So there are indeed faulty boxes.

Lets just hope that this was a fluke and that the steering boxes on these Jeeps do not have an engineering problem. I have 12,000 miles and its be broken for god only knows how long. A box should not go until about 100,000.

Thanks again for your suggestion, cause you were dead right. And to think the tech at the dealership told me nothing was wrong to begin with.

StubEXrube
11-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Lets just hope that this was a fluke and that the steering boxes on these Jeeps do not have an engineering problem.

No problem. Glad to help. To be sure this is not just a "fluke". The steering boxes in ALL Jeep JK's are of poor quality. I have checked mine again recently and unless planning to rebuild the box- replacement will be the only solution. The JK boxes are different than in previous models (TJ boxes aren't much better) and I believe they are wearing out even quicker. Of course. a lot of the wear can be attributed to larger tire sizes and how hard you use it off road.

Glad your dealership took care of the problem. I may not be so lucky. If mine won't replace it, then I may just move up to a PSC gear box.

Hellbound13
11-19-2008, 04:48 PM
No problem. Glad to help. To be sure this is not just a "fluke". The steering boxes in ALL Jeep JK's are of poor quality. I have checked mine again recently and unless planning to rebuild the box- replacement will be the only solution. The JK boxes are different than in previous models (TJ boxes aren't much better) and I believe they are wearing out even quicker. Of course. a lot of the wear can be attributed to larger tire sizes and how hard you use it off road.

Glad your dealership took care of the problem. I may not be so lucky. If mine won't replace it, then I may just move up to a PSC gear box.

So its only a matter of time before the new one goes? I am totally stock and have done very very light off roading a couple times. Would a better steering damper help relieve stress on the box?

StubEXrube
11-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Steering stabilizer will not help much if at all. It may help to mask the play a little bit but won't relieve much of the stress to the box. I hate to say it but more than likely in another 7- 10,000 miles down the road, it may need replaced again. The good thing though, is that if you already had success with your dealership this time, than they should be able to help you out down the road. The boxes can also be rebuilt but most dealerships would rather replace them than rebuild them ( regarding the time to rebuild vs time to replace). You could eventually go to an improved quality box like those that PSC motorsports is putting out, however they are around $750.

This is just a weakness of the JK and you should at least be fine for awhile. I would be happy to have a new box and enjoy it.

Hellbound13
11-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Steering stabilizer will not help much if at all. It may help to mask the play a little bit but won't relieve much of the stress to the box. I hate to say it but more than likely in another 7- 10,000 miles down the road, it may need replaced again. The good thing though, is that if you already had success with your dealership this time, than they should be able to help you out down the road. The boxes can also be rebuilt but most dealerships would rather replace them than rebuild them ( regarding the time to rebuild vs time to replace). You could eventually go to an improved quality box like those that PSC motorsports is putting out, however they are around $750.

This is just a weakness of the JK and you should at least be fine for awhile. I would be happy to have a new box and enjoy it.

Man thats a bummer to hear. Just like the shaft keeps going I guess. But what about the people with 20,000K with no clunk? There box must be okay..

I guess if it goes again I can order one from moparpartsamerica and have my mechanic friend put it in. The dealer fought me just to do this one, let alone another..

StubEXrube
11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
The people that have excess mileage may fall into several groups. Many probably have no major modifications (big lift/ big tires)...so they don't have much play in the steering box. Others may not notice it much (if at all) due to the overall steering play/ deteriorated handling that happened when they lifted their jeep. After many miles and modifications, they may not have a good idea of why exactly the steering is "off" a little. Subsequently they may just be accepting the way the jeep drives. There are other areas that people (including myself) have likely considered, prior to discovering this problem...like tie rod ends, front track bar, draglink, pitman arm, etc. And still others have probably gotten lucky and like you said- have had no problems at all.

I would be interested in some of the specifics of your trip to the dealership to replace yours...like what kind of crap they tried to give you? since this is not a new problem and most dealerships should be aware of it. How (or if) they determined it was a bad box? or did they just cave in and take your word for it? How long did they take to replace it?

BTW- You are dead right...A decent box should not have to be replaced or repaired on a stock 12,000 mile vehicle. Not even if it's a Kia! :shaking:

Hellbound13
11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I went to the dealer Sunday. I go in and tell the Service advisor about my clunky steering and how it is now loose and flighty. I tell her that I can see play where the steering shaft from the steering box meets the pitman arm. I also tell her that they should just check over the whole front end. She hands me the sheet and it says "customer states steering is loose." I said, "Are you gunna write down about the steering box and pitman arm for the tech?" She says "Oh right, right.." and writes it down and off I go.

I get a call 40 minutess later... "We drove it and everything is fine."
I say "Um, no its not, Ill be right there."
I come in and the service advisor has an attitude with me when I ask to show the tech whats wrong.

They send a tech out with me to the Jeep, the kid is just an oil change monkey since it was a Sunday and he couldn't have been over 23 years old. I show him the play where the box meets the arm and says, okay Ill order a new box but that it is odd that a box would go with 12K miles. I go inside to the service advsor and and she says "Okay we will order the steering dampener."
I say "Its not the dampener its the box."

She says she has to confirm this with the tech, picks up the phone and goes "He says its the box..oh it is? I thought they were the same thing." Hangs up and apologizes to me.

Then she says I can come in Tuesday morning to have it done but I will have to talk to the service manager who is not in on Sunday to make sure the BFG Mud Terrains that are the same size as my stock tires did not void the warranty. I tell her there is no way in hell the tires broke the steering box and I would see her Tuesday.

Tuesday I go in and drop it off, they replace the box.

What I don't understand is I don't wheel the Jeep hard at all. Its a stock 2 sr auto X except for stock size BFG mud terrains and a Teraflex Steering Stabilizer. So odd that my box would go? The Teraflex SS couldn't have caused it, right?

Broncojohn
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Nope. The box should have held up.

Hellbound13
11-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Nope. The box should have held up.

So it was just a fluke part?

StubEXrube
11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
It seems to me that they at least would have checked the output shaft to the pitman arm or checked the torque of the threaded portion at the top of the box before automatically thinking it was the box itself or the steering stabilizer. If anything, the upgraded stabilizer would not hurt but rather help minimize the stress to the box as compared to the stock stabilizer. Not too surprising that they tried to blame it on the tires- Easy out for them. Sounds like that dealership is like an automotive version of High School Musical or something. "Yea team!" :shaking:

Whether or not the box was really bad or if there was a loose connection, you at least have a new one now, so I guess it's all water under the bridge. Hope this box (including installation and adjustments) will prove to alleviate all of this mess. Good luck.

Hellbound13
11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
It seems to me that they at least would have checked the output shaft to the pitman arm or checked the torque of the threaded portion at the top of the box before automatically thinking it was the box itself or the steering stabilizer. If anything, the upgraded stabilizer would not hurt but rather help minimize the stress to the box as compared to the stock stabilizer. Not too surprising that they tried to blame it on the tires- Easy out for them. Sounds like that dealership is like an automotive version of High School Musical or something. "Yea team!" :shaking:

Whether or not the box was really bad or if there was a loose connection, you at least have a new one now, so I guess it's all water under the bridge. Hope this box (including installation and adjustments) will prove to alleviate all of this mess. Good luck.

Lets hope so and thanks again.

Broncojohn
11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
With stock sized tires the box should hold up a while, at least the warranty period. Anyone installing larger tires should move to ram assist. It will hide some of the errors (loose joints) in the steering, and I have no clue on how the ESP will be effected. When I lift my jeep I'm going to plumb my box for ram asssit, that will be in the spring. Ram assist is a God sent with big tires. I run it on my Bronco, you can one finger steer on any trail. Anyone beating up the Delphi box may have it wrong. It appears the PSC box is Delphi with a twist.

StubEXrube
11-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone beating up the Delphi box may have it wrong. It appears the PSC box is Delphi with a twist.

Totally agree- but most can hardly justify the upgraded PSC box, much less the $1400 ram assist. I think that's what the PSC ram assist costs for the JK last I looked. I am hoping that my dealership will replace my OEM unit if I'm lucky. At least I may get another 5 to 10,000 miles out of that one. Not looking fwd to that visit. :shaking:

Hellbound13
11-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Totally agree- but most can hardly justify the upgraded PSC box, much less the $1400 ram assist. I think that's what the PSC ram assist costs for the JK last I looked. I am hoping that my dealership will replace my OEM unit if I'm lucky. At least I may get another 5 to 10,000 miles out of that one. Not looking fwd to that visit. :shaking:

Yeah and after reading a review on the PSC Motorsports one, I am not too sure about that either. The review I read was for an XJ box, not a JK but two people said that less than 10,000 miles on the PSC box and there was already plenty of slop in the sector shaft. If thats the case Id rather pay $250 for a stock unit then replace with a PSC for $750 and be left in the same situation.

PhilD
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
If thats the case Id rather pay $250 for a stock unitThe stock box is about $500 from the online discount places, $700 or so from the dealer. I got lucky and found one on eBay for $350, but I wouldn't expect to see many there.

I'm going to install a Redneck Ram hydro assist on the new one, rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare.

FWIW I have 50k miles on the stock box running 37's and it's still good, although is starting to show some signs of wear

rockredsahara
12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
You must be doing it wrong then :thefinger: :grinpimp:

A little:beer:usually does the trick:smokin:

Hellbound13
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
The stock box is about $500 from the online discount places, $700 or so from the dealer. I got lucky and found one on eBay for $350, but I wouldn't expect to see many there.

I'm going to install a Redneck Ram hydro assist on the new one, rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare.

FWIW I have 50k miles on the stock box running 37's and it's still good, although is starting to show some signs of wear

Well I am running stock, just added pro comp rims and BFG MTs but the stock size, so I don't know why the box went bad. Between that and the shafts, clunky steering seems to be part of these JKs.

You can get a stock box for around $250 on Moparpartsamerica.com

PhilD
12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
You can get a stock box for around $250 on Moparpartsamerica.comThat's for a two door, they don't list the 4 dr box in their system, but the 2 door part # is the same price as other trademotion discounters.

Hellbound13
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
That's for a two door, they don't list the 4 dr box in their system, but the 2 door part # is the same price as other trademotion discounters.

Oh. Did not realize the two were different. I have a two door anyway.

PhilD
12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh. Did not realize the two were different. I have a two door anyway.Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what is different (or why they are different), but two different part #'s are listed, one for 2 dr, one for 4 dr, and the 4 dr is almost twice the price.

bodyguy
12-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what is different (or why they are different), but two different part #'s are listed, one for 2 dr, one for 4 dr, and the 4 dr is almost twice the price.

Nice, I wander if it has anything to do with vehicle weight is so a 2dr could upgrade to a 4dr box and might get a longer use from it. Thinking out loud.

Hellbound13
12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice, I wander if it has anything to do with vehicle weight is so a 2dr could upgrade to a 4dr box and might get a longer use from it. Thinking out loud.

Actually if it fits, that aint a bad idea.

StubEXrube
12-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Went to www.moparpartsamerica.com and found some interesting info that makes me want to NEVER give my local dealership any more business.

The dealership is selling JK steering/gear boxes for over $700

Mopar-parts-america is listing the MSRP at $417

Mopar-parts-america is selling them for $286.35

Question is....WHAT IN THE HELL KIND OF MARK-UP ARE DEALERSHIPS CHARGING? This is outrageous! Same thing for my stabilizer, that I have already replaced once.

The dealership is selling the stabilizer for $75.86

Mopar-parts-america is listing the MSRP at $60.65

Mopar-parts-america is selling them for $44.83

*How in the world are dealerships permitted to sell parts for well over MSRP. What companies do that? Someone help me out here. This is a disgrace!

:pissed::pissed::pissed:

BTW- Could not find any variation between two and four door models. All are simply listed as 07-08 Jeep Wrangler.

PhilD
12-10-2008, 05:54 AM
The dealership is selling JK steering/gear boxes for over $700

Mopar-parts-america is listing the MSRP at $417

Mopar-parts-america is selling them for $286.35Read above, there are two different part #'s, you are comparing retail on a 4 dr box to a discounted 2 dr box.

2 Dr Part # - 52059897AD
MSRP - $417.00
mopardiscountparts - $279.39

4 Dr Part # - 52060172AE
MSRP - $738.00
mopardiscountparts - $494.46

Based on the MSRP moparpartsamerica are only listing the 2 dr version at $286.35.

As to what the differences are I do not know. But there are two separate part #'s and two very different prices.

PhilD
12-10-2008, 05:58 AM
The dealership is selling the stabilizer for $75.86

Mopar-parts-america is listing the MSRP at $60.65

Mopar-parts-america is selling them for $44.83The MSRP is $60.65 according to mopardiscountparts also, who have them for $40.64. Your dealership is clearly just selling you stuff at above MSRP.

FWIW I've used mopardiscountparts for two years and never had any problems with them at all, fast service and good communication.

PhilD
12-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Actually if it fits, that aint a bad idea.I'd love to see them side by side and see what (if any) differences there are.

StubEXrube
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Really wish I knew what the difference is between the 2dr and 4dr models. Nevr saw the 4dr model listed on MPA, but I still realize that the dealership is ripping people off by charging above MSRP.

I can't believe that there is that much [quality] difference between the 2dr and 4dr box. Others have described problems with their 4dr boxes as well. Wonder who/ if someone can access an internal parts list or breakdown between the two...showing a possible explanation of why one is $417 and the other is $738.

OK...Only one of these...:pissed:

Thanks for your time and research Phil.

bodyguy
12-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what is different (or why they are different), but two different part #'s are listed, one for 2 dr, one for 4 dr, and the 4 dr is almost twice the price.

We compaired the part number on my jeep 4dr and Stu's jeep 2dr and the numbers are the same.

PhilD
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
We compaired the part number on my jeep 4dr and Stu's jeep 2dr and the numbers are the same.Which part # was it? The two I have listed are:

2 Dr - 52059897AD
4 Dr - 52060172AE

bodyguy
12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Which part # was it? The two I have listed are:

2 Dr - 52059897AD
4 Dr - 52060172AE

neither, I compared the delphi number on the case, now thinking it could just be a case number. I'll go look again

bodyguy
12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Which part # was it? The two I have listed are:

2 Dr - 52059897AD
4 Dr - 52060172AE

You are correct numbers match exactly. I am real interested in knowing the difference between these two boxes. I am going to call the guy I order parts from tomorrow and see if he will fax me a blow up of the two boxes.

zonkerd
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a 07 had a clunck in the colum for about 2 weeks tried everthing. One day while i was under the hook I found at the top of the steering shaft were it goes into the firewall.The rubber insulator slid down the shaft causing it ti be loose.Took a hammer pushed it back up in the firewall,installed a hose clamp.All good now.

ProZack
12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I looked into this at work after reading this thread and the only differance I can see between the 2 and 4 door is that the 2 dr version is the same for both RT and LT hand drive vehilces.

As far as dealers selling above MSRP Thats a shame that some dealers will still try to jack you, while there are other ones who try to get involved and support the fan base of thier customers. Those are the dealers that you will see going out of business in '09!

Ipe
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I have a 07 had a clunck in the colum for about 2 weeks tried everthing. One day while i was under the hook I found at the top of the steering shaft were it goes into the firewall.The rubber insulator slid down the shaft causing it ti be loose.Took a hammer pushed it back up in the firewall,installed a hose clamp.All good now.

In this post above zonkerd talks about a rubber isolator sleeve that has moved. I just want to confirm, is this the sleeve we're talking about? (in the RED circle - sorry about the crappy cell phone pic :shaking:)

PhilD
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes. make sure it is seated properly and then put a hose clamp around the shaft to prevent it slipping down.

Ipe
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes. make sure it is seated properly and then put a hose clamp around the shaft to prevent it slipping down.

Cool, thanks Phil.

OBTW, would greasing the outside be a good thing or a waste of good grease?

PhilD
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
OBTW, would greasing the outside be a good thing or a waste of good grease?I can't see what it would do apart from attract dirt, save your grease.

Esquared
02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Ive got the clunk! This info will come to the dealer with me. Thanks everyone.

Ipe
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Clunk is worse than ever. I've lubed the slip joint heavily... Pushed the plastic ring up as far as it'll go... and still got it. :pissed:

I went and held the sheering shaft in one hand and rotated it back and forth. When I did I could hear a metallic clunking It didn't appear to be coming from the sector shaft. It felt like it was in the steering box... Now since I was alone I couldn't look underneath and move things at the same time, but I could feel the front wheel moving slightly against my legs as I rotated the damn thing. :shaking:

Esquared
03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Replaced my lower and intermediate steering shaft. No Clunk...for now. They said they have never heard of this happening. I told them what to look for and they found it. Thanks to everyone here.

yoda13
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
In this post above zonkerd talks about a rubber isolator sleeve that has moved. I just want to confirm, is this the sleeve we're talking about? (in the RED circle - sorry about the crappy cell phone pic :shaking:)

this happened to me while I was running Black Gap out in BBNP, anyway, it had probably been happening a little at a time for a while and this threw it over, but I thought that the wheels and steering were going to come apart and off....however, this fixed it....gotta love rubber mallets and some well placed swats...anyway, in my opinion, and many others it looks like, this intermediate steering shaft on our Jeeps is basically a pile of crap...anybody have any new information of when someone might make an aftermarket one of better quality?

Hellbound13
03-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Its not just the shaft, it can also be a loose bolt in the suspension or the steering box itself. I hate how clunky these Jeeps are. Feel like a sloppy jaloppy.

UNCJK
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM

This worked like a miracle. Thanks PhilD, made me feel like I was giving my jeep a vaccine with a giant syringe

PhilD
06-10-2011, 06:26 AM
This worked like a miracle. Thanks PhilD, made me feel like I was giving my jeep a vaccine with a giant syringeGlad it worked :)

I've got 112k miles on my JK and the steering clunk never came back.

rdlynch2
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I just injected the grease into the boot. I used a 12 gauge angiocath I got from work to do it! I havent driven it yet, I hope that this eliminates the clunk

outfitterguy
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The permanent fix for this problem...
A couple industry friends passed this link along to me that were having this issue, THANK YOU: problem solved!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=366515153453840&set=a.366515143453841.1073741825.273877672717589&type=1&theater

Fklein6768
04-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Looks like two collars and a big spring.....

Is this thing on?

Dancin Dan
04-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Is this thing on?

My dog already has a collar. Gonna try the grease tip and see where it gets me.

Thanks to TCDawg for the link to this thread. :koolaid:

outfitterguy
06-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Is this thing on?

that is what it is; a low tension spring made to put a very minimal side load on the shafts and 2 collars to attach. Designed to have zero interference with the boot and is an easy install in about 15 minutes. This is the pic on their website : http://www.misch4x4.com/steering_chatter_eliminator.html

Thisguyhasadd42
02-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Is adding grease a mask for the real problem? Mine started clunking the other day. With my hand on the box i could feel the clunk so i assume thats where its coming from. Havent looked into the bolts on the trac bar or drag link, ect yet. But i dont just want to add grease to the boot every few thousand miles to have the clunk return.

From what I understand I am unable to go the Redneck route because i have a 2010, is PSC my only other option? I rather not spend X amount of money on another stock box for it to just fail again, so why not pony up and go assist and not have to worry about it again. Am i wrong for thinking this? Thanks