Need your opinion, 4XFix windshield rock protector [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Need your opinion, 4XFix windshield rock protector

Woods
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
This one's for SDMF and the five chips that he has in his windshield. :shaking:

I'm thinking about offering a new windshield protector. It's a clear laminate that installs over the front of your windshield, similar to how window tinting is installed. But this product is tougher,... MUCH TOUGHER. It's a mil spec material that is used by the military on Humvees and Apache Helicopters. The military needed protection from people throwing rocks at Humvees in Irag and this is it. Now for the fine print. This product is not DOT approved and is for offroad use only. And it's not cheap. Retail price is about $250. And shipping is not cheap, as it can not be rolled. The box is the size of your windshield.

Chris Hansen
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey Brett, would I have to replace my current windshield with the three chips in it before applying this, or would it go over and extend the life of my chipped windshield?

RotorHead
07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Maybe if I lived in a rocky environment I would consider it, but I don't. I'm still on my original windshield with no chips and it's been well over a year. I have a $100 deductible for glass breakage so it would take 3 windshield replacements to justify it. I'm probably jinxing myself by saying that out loud though. :bawling:

The safety thing is concerning also. I think the reason it's not DOT is in case you smack your head on it in an accident. It probably wouldn't give like you would want it too.

Not for me, but does sound cool.

Woods
07-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Hey Brett, would I have to replace my current windshield with the three chips in it before applying this, or would it go over and extend the life of my chipped windshield?

Too technical for me to give a good answer. So I'll offer up a bad answer. I think that once there's a crack, you're generally screwed.

Dragline
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
This stuff was pioneered for Helo use by some of the folks where I work. Basically there was a need to reduce windshield changes due to heavy sand blasting from rotor wash in Iraq. The Mil Spec coating was applied extending the life of the Helo windshields. The stuff is modeled after the NASCAR tear offs. It has many applications however it is not cheap.

This one's for SDMF and the five chips that he has in his windshield. :shaking:

I'm thinking about offering a new windshield protector. It's a clear laminate that installs over the front of your windshield, similar to how window tinting is installed. But this product is tougher,... MUCH TOUGHER. It's a mil spec material that is used by the military on Humvees and Apache Helicopters. The military needed protection from people throwing rocks at Humvees in Irag and this is it. Now for the fine print. This product is not DOT approved and is for offroad use only. And it's not cheap. Retail price is about $250. And shipping is not cheap, as it can not be rolled. The box is the size of your windshield.

chromedome
07-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Not legal in California...

California Vehicle Code Section....

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any
object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied
upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

But to be fair you did say that!

Woods
07-16-2008, 06:48 PM
This stuff was pioneered for Helo use by some of the folks where I work. Basically there was a need to reduce windshield changes due to heavy sand blasting from rotor wash in Iraq. The Mil Spec coating was applied extending the life of the Helo windshields. The stuff is modeled after the NASCAR tear offs. It has many applications however it is not cheap.
That pretty much goes right along with what I've heard and thanks for the added detail. I bet the military pays a lot more than $300. From what I understand, GE sells it to the military. GE also sells stuff to Iran. Hey GE:thefinger:

Pretty much illegal everywhere. That law was written to stop people from tinting their front windshield. The stuff makes your car (bye bye little kitty) Jeep safer. Hey DOT:thefinger: Unless you know to look for it, it's practically undetectable.

BigO
07-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Unless you know to look for it, it's practically undetectable.

As I was reading through the comments, this was my first thought. If it's undetectable by someone who doesn't know what to look for, so what. I'll bet a small sum of money that the local inspection stations won't even notice it. Heck...I once had a vehicle pass with non-functioning back up lights (unbeknownst to me at the time of inspection).

so_calif_rubi
07-16-2008, 08:29 PM

What?!?! Well that sucks, I guess my college parking pass sticker is illegal, then.....hummm that's where they TOLD me to put it! If I get a ticket, they're paying it! :D

Woods
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
What?!?! Well that sucks, I guess my college parking pass sticker is illegal, then.....hummm that's where they TOLD me to put it! If I get a ticket, they're paying it! :D

And all those fast passes and GPS's must be illegal too.

Ruskin
07-17-2008, 04:11 AM
I've got a chip right now (in FL). In CO, I used to thrash windshields driving I70 from Denver up into the mountains with all the stuff they put down in winter being kicked up. I could see how the windshield product would be nice to have and save a lot of hassel.

That said, my $ is going towards one of your other mods. I'll live with the risk of a crack that insurance will eventually kick in for, especially if I can spend the money on extra tub storage or a skid plate.

Just one poor man's opinion.

Ipe
07-17-2008, 05:01 AM
About the only good thing about living in Massachusetts is that zero deductible glass coverage is standard. I used it last week after I found a crack in my windshield following a bad storm. :)

As for selling the stuff... I would stress that it is for off-road use only. I'd be a wee bit concerned for you, liability wise. I'm not litigious by nature, but there's far too many ass-hats out there that are. :shaking:

mcnaught6
07-17-2008, 05:30 AM
i've got a $0 deductible on my windshield, so wouldn't be interested. but i've only used it once in the past eight or ten years, so i don't go through a lot of windshields.

John L
07-17-2008, 09:39 AM
OK, let's clear the confusion. Some of you guys are hinting towards safety issues. From what I'm reading here from Woods, this is a laminate that goes OVER your existing windshield. It does not replace the windshield.

jeepik
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
im down

my windshield needs replacing anyways, this will be a great addition

chromedome
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
In an effort to further educate some here....

26708. (b) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a
7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed
from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are
displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window
farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other
materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner
of the windshield nearest the driver.

-T-
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for edjamacating me because I was thinking the same as Woods regarding the fastpass and other stickers.

Sounds like a cool mod, though I've been lucky enough to not have dings yet. That doesnt mean anyone should throw rocks at me. :thefinger:

Chris Hansen
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
i've got a $0 deductible on my windshield, so wouldn't be interested. but i've only used it once in the past eight or ten years, so i don't go through a lot of windshields.

ok....just noticed your av :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

BeerMonkeY
07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
i also have a 50 deductable on windsheild so i wouldnt buy it but that doesnt mean other people wouldnt. id be carefull with this though, if someone got in a accident and a laywer found out you had this on your windsheild it would be a lawsuit frenzy, its sad to say but its how people are these days