Delta H4 headlight upgrade [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Delta H4 headlight upgrade

venom
07-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Delta 7" Round Quad Bar Headlight Kit, Halogen H4-

ordered them the first week of June, they finally came in today.:shaking:
didn't get home in time to install them tonight- I took dad out to buy an old CJ5
he got a steal, 304 V8 that runs great, needs work, but it's all there and moves on it's own for $1000:grinpimp:
Anyway, will post again tomorrow evening after I get them in and let y'all know how it goes and if they're worth it.

venom
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
installed them tonight, woulda been super easy and quick IF they fit properly:pissed:
According to the instructions:
pull your grill
remove the 4 torx screws, pull the ring and your headlight - unplug it and set it aside
plug in the wiring adapter
now here's the funky part, instrux say you don't use the ring anymore, but without it nothing holds the lights in, with it they fit just a bit loose, maybe a millimeter of play
so I found an old piece of rubber hose from a boost gauge, ringed the inside of the retaining ring with it and screwed them on and they hold good and tight.
I just hate having to rig new parts
HOWEVER, functionally, they rock.
Much better light output than stock, glass so they don't scratch like stock and the don't dome out so it's easier to pull the grill and fit it between the lights and the grill hoop, plus the variety of H4 bulbs available.
here are a buttload of pics.
Probably not needed, its a simple install but the camera was close

venom
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
a few more pix

Big A
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
WOW!

I have been wanting to do this also... Looking good!

John L
07-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Nice install. What bulbs are you running now? Watch what you put in, pull too many amps and they'll shut down on you, probably when you need them the most...

When I did my CIBIE upgrade I rewired with 12ga on everything from the lamps to the relays to the grounds. Everything. I'm only using the stock wiring to trigger relays now.

Nice to be able to see now, huh? I didn't realize how crappy the stockers were until I upgraded.

venom
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
right now I'm running whatever Delta gave me with them, but I'll be ugrading to IPF Fatboys relatively soon and when I do, I'll build a relay harness

It is pretty amazing how much better they work, low beam on these seems to illuminate the road about as well as high beam did in my stockers with silverstar bulbs, yet they are still focused right and don't blind oncoming cars- at least I haven't been flashed *yet*, and high beam is actually useful for something other than making reflectors glow a little farther ahead.

Definitely a good use of $100 :grinpimp:

John L
07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Venom, if you get a chance, you have to try out Osram #64205. It's a 70/65w, they kick some serious light out. Only about 22 per bulb. They don't last as long, but I think they're worth it.

venom
07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
cool, I'll give them a shot, thanks for the info!
$44 a pair is a heck of a lot better than $90+ for fatboys

venom
07-17-2008, 08:27 AM
just went back and double checked myself - it had been so long since I ordered, I had forgotten for sure - these are supposed to be the Quad Bar lights with the metal cross braces inside and integrated city lights but they aren't.
Another case of 4wheelparts using the same description and photo for multiple products (even when they don't match the item).
That's how I ended up having to buy 2 TF BB kits - I ordered one based off of the pic and description showing the shock extensions, but it didn't include them, they expected me to cross reference TF part numbers to see what was included I guess.
I also emailed Delta about the fitment issues, I'll post up what they say.

Delta Lights
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
just went back and double checked myself - it had been so long since I ordered, I had forgotten for sure - these are supposed to be the Quad Bar lights with the metal cross braces inside and integrated city lights but they aren't.
Another case of 4wheelparts using the same description and photo for multiple products (even when they don't match the item).
That's how I ended up having to buy 2 TF BB kits - I ordered one based off of the pic and description showing the shock extensions, but it didn't include them, they expected me to cross reference TF part numbers to see what was included I guess.
I also emailed Delta about the fitment issues, I'll post up what they say.

Well I want to first say, More often then not.. Our large distributers have the wrong image for the wrong part. this is something I'm personally em working on with them.

second, I don't want to place all the blame on or distributer. We also made a mistake here. It doesn't happen often but we are all human & its bound to happen every once & a great while. The INSTRUCTIONS given in the box were for our JK Quad-bars head lights... Venom should of received 01-1148-50x (Jk replacement headlights) instructions..

third, when We make a mistake, here at Delta we'd like to make it right. I personally emailed Venom, telling him he should of received two silicone gaskets in the box. this being said We will be mailing him the 2 gaskets to make the factory JK bezel fit right.

below I have attached a image of the Quad-Bar head lights

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p467/DELTALIGHTS/DSC04696.jpg

Delta Lights
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Venom, if you get a chance, you have to try out Osram #64205. It's a 70/65w, they kick some serious light out. Only about 22 per bulb. They don't last as long, but I think they're worth it.

Well not to talk bad about anyone else's product but I thought you should know...

the Osram 70/65w H4 is a Halogen bulb.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-91565365470012_2009_2316522

this being said.. the NEW technology Xenon Bulbs is a different type of gas inside the bulb allowing the light to burn hotter... hotter = 30% brighter

the bulb Venon has is a 60/55w (DOT)
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p467/DELTALIGHTS/05-2000-16ADAPTERH4BULB.jpg

*FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY*

we also have a 100/80 watt & 130/90w

John L
07-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Well not to talk bad about anyone else's product but I thought you should know...

this being said.. the NEW technology Xenon Bulbs is a different type of gas inside the bulb allowing the light to burn hotter... hotter = 30% brighter

*FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY*

Oh boy, here we go with the rice blue bulbs again....:shaking:

Here's a little someting interesting....

"Informal tests by the US Department of Transportation's Office of Crash Avoidance Standards found that a standard-wattage 9004-type blue headlamp bulb reduced the road lighting ability of a standard headlamp by 67%, and increased glare for oncoming and preceeding traffic by 33%. This apparent contradiction arises because of the way the human eye handles light of different colors. The short-wavelength colors (blue, indigo and violet) are very difficult for our eyes to process and focus on."
Taken from Daniel Stern's website.

For those that want to learn something about lighting, click here (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html).
All others are free to blind oncoming drivers with the glare off your cool looking blue bulbs......

venom
07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Well I have to say I have been very impressed with Delta's Customer Service so far. :bounce:
I dropped them an email with a link to here on it one night and the next day, not only did I have a response explaining what was up, but they had also registered here to help provide lighting info!
Everyone screws up, but admitting it and making it right goes a loooong way

As to the specific problems with my install, first of all 4 Wheel Parts web people are a bunch of idiots. This is twice I have ordered a product and it did not match the written description or picture on the site. The page I ordered from specifically said QUAD BAR lights and thats what were pictured, BUT in the fine print, the part number is for the standard replacement lights. When you order from 4WP, I guess they expect you to cross reference the part number on the site with the manuf part number to make sure you get what you need :pissed::pissed::pissed:
So I got the wrong part from 4WP to start with, but Delta also flubbed up, as Landon already said. I got the instructions for quad bars, but the lights are standard replacements. Quad bars don't re-use the stock ring, replacements do. Replacements are supposed to include a silicone gasket that does exactly what my piece of hose does in the install pictures, but when they packed the box evidently they assumed they were quads and put in quad bar instrux and no gasket.
They are sending me the gaskets that were supposed to be in the kit.
Everyone screws up, but admitting it and making it right goes a loooong way

4 Wheel Parts, however, still sucks and I have not received so much as a response to my email about the wrong part or anything. Bad enough as soon as I ordered, the next day they said status was shipped, when in reality they were on backorder for over a month.

Bottom line,
Delta=good - they made a mistake and were quick to rectify it, apologize and come here to help out
4 Wheel Parts= bad - they misled with descriptions and pics (AGAIN) lied that it was shipped and don't really seem to care that they sent the wrong parts.

venom
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
followup...
got my gaskets in the mail from Delta last week, they go exactly where my hose pieces went except they're black and smaller diameter - thanks!
So far the lights are great, definitely a good upgrade
I may give some of the hotter bulbs a try, when I do, I'll build a relay harness since I'm sure the canbus won't like the amp draw

Ben Hedrick
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Delta Lights,
I've got the Quad Bar lights too, but just curious; what is the difference between the two options for the JK's?

Thanks, Ben

PS: I really like my Delta Quad Bar lights and they are a HUGE improvement.

venom
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
the quad bars have the metal cross braces inside, behind the glass
the others don't

FL JEEPN
09-04-2008, 05:43 AM
installed them tonight, woulda been super easy and quick IF they fit properly:pissed:
According to the instructions:
pull your grill
remove the 4 torx screws, pull the ring and your headlight - unplug it and set it aside
plug in the wiring adapter
now here's the funky part, instrux say you don't use the ring anymore, but without it nothing holds the lights in, with it they fit just a bit loose, maybe a millimeter of play
so I found an old piece of rubber hose from a boost gauge, ringed the inside of the retaining ring with it and screwed them on and they hold good and tight.
I just hate having to rig new parts
HOWEVER, functionally, they rock.
Much better light output than stock, glass so they don't scratch like stock and the don't dome out so it's easier to pull the grill and fit it between the lights and the grill hoop, plus the variety of H4 bulbs available.
here are a buttload of pics.
Probably not needed, its a simple install but the camera was close

Where did you get the wiring adapter? Did it come with the Delta's or did you purchase it separately?

venom
09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
the wiring adapters came with the kit

Jason @ Warrior
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm working on this upgrade right now... I'm at the airbag sensor roadblock right now.

http://www.xsighting.com/_images//jeep2small2.jpg

valeo sylvania's xsighting lighting xe7r bi-xenon HID's

We did their xe7's in our TJ, and it's crazy to see a Wrangler with good quality HID's!

http://www.xsighting.com/_images/webpix600/jeep5.jpg

henri
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm working on this upgrade right now... I'm at the airbag sensor roadblock right now.

http://www.xsighting.com/_images//jeep2small2.jpg

valeo sylvania's xsighting lighting xe7r bi-xenon HID's

We did their xe7's in our TJ, and it's crazy to see a Wrangler with good quality HID's!

http://www.xsighting.com/_images/webpix600/jeep5.jpg

Hi,

I was wandering if you've had any luck w/the Xe7R Hid's? I emailed suvlights a while ago and this is what one of their techs said:
"From intitial studies (CAD data only), they won't fit without a lot of trimming.
Without doing an actual install, I hate for him to buy them."
Please let me know as I've been very interested in them....

DTJK
12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Hello Venom, are the adapters with the kit simply two plugs with 3 wires connecting them?

Thanks.

venom
12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello Venom, are the adapters with the kit simply two plugs with 3 wires connecting them?

Thanks.

yup
1 end plugs into the jeep harness, the other has an H4 style plug that plugs into the new headlight bulb

maverick
12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice lights DELTA.

Well I want to first say, More often then not.. Our large distributers have the wrong image for the wrong part. this is something I'm personally em working on with them.

second, I don't want to place all the blame on or distributer. We also made a mistake here. It doesn't happen often but we are all human & its bound to happen every once & a great while. The INSTRUCTIONS given in the box were for our JK Quad-bars head lights... Venom should of received 01-1148-50x (Jk replacement headlights) instructions..

third, when We make a mistake, here at Delta we'd like to make it right. I personally emailed Venom, telling him he should of received two silicone gaskets in the box. this being said We will be mailing him the 2 gaskets to make the factory JK bezel fit right.

below I have attached a image of the Quad-Bar head lights

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p467/DELTALIGHTS/DSC04696.jpg

Timbo2000
12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought those folk who purchased the E-Code Quad Delta headlights might be interested in my very cheap solution for headlight guards. I'm not sure if it will work with the non-Quad version. I like the old time look and I have not noticed an reduction in the lighting, although it is obviously going to reduce it a little bit.

These were purchased from Moss Motors. Use the keyword "stoneguard" on the site. They can be had $12.75 + shipping or in my case $21.20. You will need to remove the black plastic trim ring that comes on the Delta lights. I never liked it and had removed them when I installed the headlights originally. You will also need a couple of oversize nuts to use as a spacer to utilize the mounting tabs that come with the guards. These slide over the screws that hold down the headlights and extend the tabs 1/4 of an inch or so.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Nvypzt0Jki8/SuyHPKGJiOI/AAAAAAAAAK0/zKu1Mmn4Fdo/5%20Close%20lit%20guard.JPG

More Pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tcconnor/JeepHeadlights#

(As for my opinion of the Deltas - I'm not a blue bulb guy. I ditched them for normal European H4+30% bulbs. IMHO A better beam pattern than stock just because it is an E-Code lens. For me the improvement over stock was noticeable, but don't expect a miracle. Note I also wired the City Lights into the parking light circuit. That is what is lit up in the picture.)

Enjoy! Regards, Tim

.:eMETAL:.
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
just installed my Delta H4s today. I like them a lot better already but tonight will tell the difference. Decided to paint the factory bezel black since it was lookin quite nasty. Scuffed it up with some 220 and shot it satin black. I also finally got around to properly adjusting my headlight positions after the lift. So now I'll actually have low and high beams instead of medium and plane spotters. :laughing::laughing:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/punk82guy/saturday%20project%20-%20headlights%20and%20reverse%20lights/906a350c.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/punk82guy/saturday%20project%20-%20headlights%20and%20reverse%20lights/1083c23e.jpg

venom
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
looks good! :smokin:

05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
looks good! :smokin:

looking forward to seeing these things in action tonight. i debated on these versus the quadbars but I scored these brand new on ebay for $68.00!! The guy had them given to him as a gift after he had already purchased and installed them. Shipped em brand new in original box. I like the quadbar look though... so I may run a vinyl pinstripe down and across them just for the look.

StubEXrube
05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
looking forward to seeing these things in action tonight. i debated on these versus the quadbars but I scored these brand new on ebay for $68.00!! The guy had them given to him as a gift after he had already purchased and installed them. Shipped em brand new in original box. I like the quadbar look though... so I may run a vinyl pinstripe down and across them just for the look.

They do look good E. The black bezel looks a lot better than the silver/ chrome.

I got a good deal on some Delta Quad-bars last week from Sierra Explorers on jko. $100. The light pattern is much more usable than the OEM's on low. On high-beam- they are 10x better.

venom
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Here's 2 more upgrades that make a huge difference. ...

New headlight wiring with relays to take control back from canbus, allow full voltage to the lights and allow use of Hella 55/100w bulbs. $25 pr on eBay. 55w low is normal but that 100w high beam rocks!!

05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
so here's my feedback on these H4 lights...

MUCH better than stock!!! projects a nice clean light. beam pattern is very cut and dry, in other words you can see where the pattern ends clearly on the low beams which at times can be a little hard to get use to but the brightness more than makes up for it. High beams are INCREDIBLE!!! this is what i'm talking about!! NOOOIIIIICCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE

inexpensive upgrade that is worth the purchase :beer::beer:

05-23-2010, 07:56 PM
ok got to drive in fog tonight and these work great... especially high beams! the beam cuts right through it and it's so nice having such a clean light versus the crappy yellowish tinted factories. :beer:

bodybrdng
05-25-2010, 08:53 AM
ok got to drive in fog tonight and these work great... especially high beams! the beam cuts right through it and it's so nice having such a clean light versus the crappy yellowish tinted factories. :beer:

After seeing your post I went and ordered a set for myself. Seeing as the Quad bar's are around $30-$50 extra just for the headlight I could not justify the cost in difference as they both come with everything else exactly the same.
2 (ea) H4 Xenon bulbs 60/55 Watt, 2 (ea) rubber boots and 2(ea) H13 adapters
Thank you for all your input. :beer:

Hittnthebz
05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Anyone have pics of an in-vehicle comparison?

bodybrdng
05-25-2010, 10:36 AM

I will this weekend :D

05-25-2010, 10:48 AM

i can get pics of after for you.

Ben Hedrick
05-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Here are my Delta Quad bar's in my Sahara. I really like these lights too!

http://benhedrick.com/URE-3.jpg

http://benhedrick.com/SS2a.jpg

http://benhedrick.com/cleanone1.jpg

officer_vince
05-29-2010, 08:04 AM
These headlights are backordered from keystone. Nobody in my area is able to get them.

bodybrdng
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I have the same exact problem. Came with the instructions for the Quad bar and there is no spacer between the headlight and the bracket. So now they wiggle a little. Sent an e-mail and PM to Delta asking before I did the install if it was needed, never got a response so installed them today and now a little annoyed. :shaking:

fourplyn
06-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Wheres the best price on these Delta head lights without the cross bars?

bodybrdng
06-13-2010, 07:28 AM

http://www.4wheelparts.com has them the cheapest. $88.19 and free shipping

Be warned that mine did come with the wrong directions (Had directions for the quad-bar) and no gasket so it wobbles a little. I sent Delta e-mails, called, and Delta a pm on here and no response on anything. I was going to get their foglights too but lack of response really starting to piss me off. This has been going on since May 28th.

Venom on here has the same problem but they did send him the gasket.

fourplyn
06-13-2010, 07:44 AM
so, one would think to spend a smidge more with Delta them selves and get the correct item?

I've only ever bought husky mats from 4wheelparts... never ever thought about buying anything else from them...tooo expensive..and I'd like to support a small vendor on here.

J.PIRY@COMCAST.NET
06-13-2010, 08:09 AM
what is the pricing on the
100/80 watt & 130/90w

*FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY*

andrelopez99
06-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Pm me, ill hook you up I got a set lying around.

venom
06-14-2010, 12:35 AM
what is the pricing on the
100/80 watt & 130/90w

You'll prob have to build a new wire harness to bypass the canbus to use higher powered bulbs

I got my 55/100 off ebay for about $20 shipped I think

ALASHA
06-14-2010, 08:17 AM
You'll prob have to build a new wire harness to bypass the canbus to use higher powered bulbs

I got my 55/100 off ebay for about $20 shipped I think

In which case why not just go with:
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4669

venom
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
In which case why not just go with:
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4669

Well I aint no fancy math-ologist but $85 for deltas, $20 for new hella bulbs and ~$15 to make a harness still comes out to quite a bit less than $215!

But that IS a plug n play solution if you don't feel comfortable making your own harness.

ALASHA
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Well I aint no fancy math-ologist but $85 for deltas, $20 for new hella bulbs and ~$15 to make a harness still comes out to quite a bit less than $215!

But that IS a plug n play solution if you don't feel comfortable making your own harness.

True, $100 is a substantial difference but then again, I dont like playing with wires. :)

angercrown
02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
old thread, but this info helped a lot. thank you guys and thanks venom

Valfam
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
old thread, but this info helped a lot. thank you guys and thanks venom

I agree lot of good info here. I have been looking at the Delta cross bar lights to order them this week.