Jeep on Fire [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Jeep on Fire

codymac08
03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I just got done with a fire call that hurt my feelings on interstate 85. A 2007 JK unlimited x burnt to the ground. It was def. a total loss. I spoke with the driver that stated it started shaking violently and all of a sudden, poof, up in smoke and fire:shaking:. The jeep was lifted and on 35s, and a had some windshield lights, other than that appeared to be stock. A bad day for that JK owner.

GOWREVER
03-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Nah, Insurance gets you a new Ruby. If you're willing to go Jeep again.

Goodysgotacuda
03-23-2010, 09:28 PM
That sucks, wonder what happened? Things just don't catch on fire on today's vehicles...Interesting for sure.

gold knight
03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
That sucks for the owner, good no one was hurt. That's at least five that I've read about in the last two years.That sucks, wonder what happened? Things just don't catch on fire on today's vehicles...Interesting for sure.
Are you serious, did you miss the auto JKs that have already burned? or the latest recall for the dumb "hot oil warning" flash?

Goodysgotacuda
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Are you serious, did you miss the auto JKs that have already burned? or the latest recall for the dumb "hot oil warning" flash?

I'm serious alright, I guess my manual JK has no chance of burning then right? Sounds good to me.

Only ones I have seen pictures of were off roading in 4-hi in tough terrain/sand. Not just buzzing down the highway.

codymac08
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I tryed to get pictures of this one, but due to my blackberry camera not being the best, it being dark, and all the red lights it just didnt work.

gold knight
03-24-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm serious alright, I guess my manual JK has no chance of burning then right? Sounds good to me.

Only ones I have seen pictures of were off roading in 4-hi in tough terrain/sand. Not just buzzing down the highway.Yes your odds are much better, lol.

Of the ones I've seen pics of, at least three were on the highway and much like this one....loss of power, pulled over and poof.

njjeepthing
03-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Was it a stick or Auto?

jeeperjkj
03-24-2010, 07:21 AM
The ones I've heard of on the forums have been autos. The only one I saw in person was a 6spd.

johnmcd
03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I've not heard about the hot oil recall, hoping she burns to the ground so I can get in line for a new crd JK

jeepersheart
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
The ones I've heard of on the forums have been autos. The only one I saw in person was a 6spd.

speaking of which has JT heard anything about the cause yet? I know he is deployed at the time but not sure if you heard anything from him.

jeeperjkj
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Only that it was not totaled and they're starting repairs. Not sure if they ID'd the cause.

NKYJEEPSTER2
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
I talked to the local dealership salemen the other day and they had no clue about jeeps catchin on fire, said they'd never heard or see it.

gold knight
03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I talked to the local dealership salemen the other day and they had no clue about jeeps catchin on fire, said they'd never heard or see it.That's because they don't spend 16 hours a day on Jeep forums, lol. In almost three years I've read about maybe six (not including the two that burned inside from ipod chargers or whatever). It's not a huge number but enough to cause the "hot oil warning" recall.

http://www.jeep.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/J30.pdf

The problem is...

The transmission fluid in your vehicle (VIN:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may overheat under certain driving conditions. Continuous operation under these conditions may cause the transmission fluid to boil over and come in contact with hot engine or exhaust components. This could cause an underhood fire without warning.

What your dealer will do...

Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will reprogram the Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) module to add a transmission temperature warning feature to the vehicle. An Owner’s manual addendum will also be provided on the operation and function of this new feature. The work will take about 1/2 hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.

JTs-JK
03-27-2010, 07:59 PM
I was not told a cause but It's being repaired and will be there when I get home to trade it in. It's getting a new wiring harness and everything under the hood that was plastic or rubber is being replaced.
JT

tkob1060
03-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I was not told a cause but It's being repaired and will be there when I get home to trade it in. It's getting a new wiring harness and everything under the hood that was plastic or rubber is being replaced.
JT

wait JT that was your JK on fire the OP saw? You still in NC?

jeeperjkj
03-28-2010, 09:02 AM
tkob, the OP was not posting about JT's JK. JT had an engine fire the last time we went to RC (around 8 March).

We were down on the lower side of the west property trying to get back up a snow covered hill, JT was pushing it pretty good, and it looks like a breather hose came off the valve cover and allowed oil to come out the vent and start a fire. At least that's our best guess.

tkob1060
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
tkob, the OP was not posting about JT's JK. JT had an engine fire the last time we went to RC (around 8 March).

We were down on the lower side of the west property trying to get back up a snow covered hill, JT was pushing it pretty good, and it looks like a breather hose came off the valve cover and allowed oil to come out the vent and start a fire. At least that's our best guess.

ahh ok. I never heard about the RC fire, damn that sucks.