More noise [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: More noise

afoulk
07-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok, maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I've noticed a new noise, besides the lifter tick that the dealer still hasn't fixed. When I'm putting along at part throttle, or I'm at part throttle and the engine starts to bog down cause the torque converter stays in lock up to long, I get a high pitched squealing or whistling noise. It sounds exactly like when your wear tabs on your brake pads start dragging on the rotor. It only seems to be throttle position or engine load dependant. At first I thought maybe it was a vacuum leak, but I don't hear it at idle or on deceleration, times when vacuum is highest. I was thinking maybe the throttle blade is positioned just right under these conditions that the air moving over it is making the whistling noise. Anyone else experience this.

PhilD
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Do you have an after market air intake? The noise is whistling at the throttle body, usually on light throttle tip in, (on mine with a TPS reading of around 25). With an aftermarket air intake you often hear the noise a lot more, it is normal.

afoulk
07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
No, I still have stock everything, thats why I was wondering. I test drove several other JK's before buying mine, and even one since, and none of them did this.

PhilD
07-15-2008, 06:42 PM
No, I still have stock everything, thats why I was wondering. I test drove several other JK's before buying mine, and even one since, and none of them did this.They all do it, just you usually can't hear it with the factory air box. If it really bothers you, take it to the dealer and see if they can do something about it, there be a air gap somewhere that shouldn't be there.

Alternatively, run with the top down and you won't notice it ;)

afoulk
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Thats just it, its really noticeable with the windows open or the top down, as most of my driving is city driving. Its pretty loud unless I'm moving along pretty fast. I have it at the dealer to be looked at tomorrow for that and the ticking noise I have when the engine is hot. Went on a test drive with the shop foreman monday, and he acknowledged hearing both noises. Said he'll try and narrow down where the noises are coming from tomorrow and call chrysler to see what they say. I can already see this going no where. But odly enough, the first question he asked me monday was if I had a after market intake:) I can't find any leaks in the air box of tuing myself though, and both apart and didn't find anything. I would think if it were a vacuum leak, it would be the worst on decel, when the throttle is closed and vacuum is the highest, but you don't hear it at all then.