New tool [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: New tool

JKDoc
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
A few months back I posted comments after shooting the Judge. Lots of folks chimed in with opinions. Since then I've been through the NRA handgun course and spent some time at the range renting a few pistols, firing a few rounds. Last Sunday I tried the Springfield Armory XDM in 40 S&W. Liked it a lot. Tomorrow I get to take it home. This pistol is very nicely balanced, fits well in my hand, and is far more accurate than I am although I am working on that.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/images/external/external_19a.jpg

http://www.the-m-factor.com/images/external/external_27a.jpg

Came with a very nice case and lots of extras.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/images/case/XDMBox1a.jpg

Happy birthday, Fathers Day, Anniversary, to me......

seiken01
03-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Nice choice. I have the XDM 9 and haven't been disappointed with it.

ksjeep
03-10-2010, 07:36 AM
I have owned an XD40 in the past... sold it. How does this XDM compare... I'm mainly interested in a comparison of the grip, weight, balance, etc. I've read about capacity, accessories, etc.

Dr.Dirty
03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I have the XD.45 TAC and i love it

Its dead nuts the only thing is ammo is getting tuff to find locally

rob4607
03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Got the xdm 9mm for my wife a few months back and we both like it.

JKDoc
03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I have owned an XD40 in the past... sold it. How does this XDM compare... I'm mainly interested in a comparison of the grip, weight, balance, etc. I've read about capacity, accessories, etc.

I shot the XD and XDM back to back. I preferred the feel of the XDM. The grip fit my hand better. They both shot as accurately as the other. I think the XDM is more balanced, especially with a fully loaded magazine. I shot 50 rounds through each. Had no misfires or jams. I have not had a chance to fire any more rounds. The upgrades on the XDM were good enough to garner "Handgun of the Year" award.

Now to see if Good Wife will shoot it. I am very comfortable now with the XDM as the primary pistol for home defense (33 rounds with two magazines and one in the chamber) and the foolproof S&W 38 special revolver with speed loaders as backup. Then there is the shotgun and 30-30 repeater. We are rural and armed.

Next up is to add a tactical light +/- laser. Anyone have suggestions?

RODICON
03-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Sweet!

gossamer
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Now that is what I need for my bday.

JKDoc
03-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Good Wife did not throw a fit, actually held it, learned how to operate it, and did a few dry fires. May be able to shoot soon time and weather dependent. We shoot in the back yard. Great to live in the boonies.

Caljeep
03-20-2010, 05:13 PM
BUY a glock!!!!!! did you buy it for looks cause I bet you didn't buy it for durability. Glocks go anywhere other pistols can't!

JKDoc
03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
BUY a glock!!!!!! did you buy it for looks cause I bet you didn't buy it for durability. Glocks go anywhere other pistols can't!

The Springfield Armory model that I bought underwent the "Glock" test plus and passed all test with flying colors. They ran 20,000 rounds through it without a failure. Did all the tests, froze it in a block of ice, threw it in the mud, sand, grime, ran over it with a truck, etc. Never failed. The pistol feels better in my hand than the Glock, I have shot both. I was going to buy a Glock until I tried the Springfield Armory pistol. The XDm won the Pistol of the Year award for a reason. For my use, I like the extra grip safety not found in the Glock. All the safeties found in the Glock are in the XDm.

I compared and shot both. I researched both. I like the XDm and so do a lot of other folks. It has better balance in the hand, is very accurate, has a lifetime warranty, comes with everything you need to get going including an extra magazine, and has the grip safety not found on the Glock.

Buy what you want. I did my homework and fired about 100 rounds through each gun at the range. I bought the better gun, in my opinion and in this case, it is the only opinion that matters to me. And who the Hell buys a pistol for looks! If I wanted looks, I would have added to my revolver collection.

GreenAmphibious
03-21-2010, 07:17 AM
BUY a glock!!!!!! did you buy it for looks cause I bet you didn't buy it for durability. Glocks go anywhere other pistols can't!:shaking: another Glock weenie.... of course glock is a good piece but the XDs are pretty damn good as well. I would rank the S&W M&P series right up there with glock....

guinness
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
:shaking: another Glock weenie.... of course glock is a good piece but the XDs are pretty damn good as well. I would rank the S&W M&P series right up there with glock....

I'm a Glock weenie; but, only because of the availability of pre-ban magazines.

Nice pickup JKDOC, Springfield makes some nice stuff.

JohnnyWalker
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm eyeing an HK 2000SK in .40. It's a lot of coin, but I think I can justify it. I have a Glock 30, and LOVE that mofrackey. I did consider the XDm, but the Glock was more accurate and ergonomically perfect FOR ME! Great choice on the pistolo, JKDoc. NRA memberships are important and relatively inexpensive.

JKDoc
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm eyeing an HK 2000SK in .40. It's a lot of coin, but I think I can justify it. I have a Glock 30, and LOVE that mofrackey. I did consider the XDm, but the Glock was more accurate and ergonomically perfect FOR ME! Great choice on the pistolo, JKDoc. NRA memberships are important and relatively inexpensive.

That is the key. Find the pistol or revolver that works for you. I agree the Glock is an excellent pistol. Good to have good choices. In Canada you can have a hunting rifle unless you are a crook.

The NRA membership is coming as are advanced training classes for Good Wife and myself.

Caljeep
03-22-2010, 12:49 AM
:shaking: another Glock weenie.... of course glock is a good piece but the XDs are pretty damn good as well. I would rank the S&W M&P series right up there with glock....

Hey Greenampphilbious :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger: :smokin:

GreenAmphibious
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Greenampphilbious :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger: :smokin:
:laughing::beer:

JKDoc
04-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Developed a problem. The bullet has started to jam on the loading ramp. Occurs with both magazines, with different brands of good ammo (Independence, Remington), while loading the first bullet, and while firing a series of shots. This is intermittent but occuring more frequently. No burs on the ramp. The bullet is hanging up on the edge of the casing (new brass) on the ramp. The head of the bullet is in the chamber. It just does not fully load.

Called Springfield Armory and they provided a Fed X shipping label and now have it in their hands. Excellent customer service. I'm not an armorer so its up to them. Everything looked good to me and the gun is cleaned after every outing. Oh ah. I bet I get a new barrel.

JKDoc
04-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Pistol made it to the Armory. They say turnaround time of 30 days:shaking:.

To compensate I took out my 1955 Hi Standard R-100 revolver, shot a hundred rounds (.22s are nice) and spent an hour cleaning it. I had forgotten how much fun that old revolver is to shoot. It is very accurate as well.

My Dad bought it to protect me when I was two. It was always with us on vacations and always in his right hand when he met a stranger at the door. Made visitations by Jehovahs Witness and Mormon missionaries quite short.

I was thinking of picking up a Ruger 22 for target shooting but there really is no need. The R-100 with 3 inch barrel works fine. My Dad gave me a Hi Standard Double Nine Longhorn when I was nine. I can't say it is any more accurate in spite of the 6 inch barrel. May have something to do with the user.

My Streamlight TLR-2s arrives tomorrow. I guess I can hold it in my hand.

Come on Springfield Armory, I want my XDm 40!:pissed:

joes-jk
04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
i got a xd-40, i bought it the 2nd year it came out. i love it and its a great weapon. but i didnt know this at the time, but i like having and external hammer. idk y. if i ever stop buying jeep parts ill be able to save for a hk usp 45.

huff747
04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Very nice. Grew up in Springfield Amory's town (Geneseo, IL). Would like to add one to my collection as well.

Chris

JKDoc
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Pistol returned today from SA. Polished the loading ramp and fine tuned the internals. Now to start shooting again and hope no jams. Streamlight TLR2s mounts easily. Need to adjust the laser. Looks to be low and left.

Springfield Arms had the pistol back to me in 12 days. Not bad. They covered all shipping costs.

ACE rock sliders come tomorrow. Feels like Christmas!:bounce:

Mikey's Rubi
04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm a Springfield Armory groupie...love their stuff. I can't wait until the XDm 45 comes out this year. I had the XDm9 and liked it but I don't like the round. Make sure she is lubed up when you shoot though. I only had problems with it when it was dry. My 1911 and XD however can shoot with sand in them so it may have just been a problem with my XDm.

Also, regarding SA's customer service...second to none. I have only used them for their custom shop (never had a problem with their guns) and can't say anything bad. Kimber on the otherhand...they are idiots and outsources their customer service to India...that's what it sounded like anyway. The guy on the phone told me the FTE problem was because I was using .45 ACP and I should be using .45 GAP. What a jackass. This was after Kimber's shop scratched the shit out of the slide and said the scratches were on the slide when they got it. NOT TRUE. Sorry, hyjack over.

Glad you like your purchase!

JKDoc
05-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I braved the gnats long enough to fire fifty rounds today. No problems. My son shot with me and was amazed at how accurate this pistol is. From fifty feet I put 10 of 16 shots in the center 3 inch circle and the rest within the 8 inch circle, twice. I was happy with that. My son had not shot this pistol before and was knocking a can around the range, hitting the can on about a third of the shots and close enough with most of the rest to make it jump.

I mounted my Streamlight and sighted in the laser as best I could without a bench. I aimed with the sights but noted where the laser was pointing. The impact site and point where the laser shone were close enough for me. I could see the laser dot fifty feet away in bright sunlight. The weight of the light helps control the recoil or I am getting better at controlling the recoil. Maybe both.

Nice Pistol! Great service from Springfield Arms.