Do you have a CB? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Do you have a CB?

MarcM
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
If not, here is a chance to get one at a good price. I just got mine today. I am lucky enough to live near one of Camping World's stores, so I did not have to pay shipping. I am also lucky because I live close to Cooltech and can go pick up my antenna mount in person. Anyway, the sale is on until July 9th.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=15947&src=SRQB

Dustoff '68
07-01-2008, 04:52 AM
If not, here is a chance to get one at a good price. I just got mine today. I am lucky enough to live near one of Camping World's stores, so I did not have to pay shipping. I am also lucky because I live close to Cooltech and can go pick up my antenna mount in person. Anyway, the sale is on until July 9th.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=15947&src=SRQB

I used to CB in the 80's, but with the advent of cell phones, and the Motorola line of 2 way radios with ranges up to 10 miles, my question is what value (off road) do CB's have...on long highway trips, I suppose listening to truckers about smokey, diners, accidents, etc may be usefull...

crypnite
07-01-2008, 05:59 AM
I used to CB in the 80's, but with the advent of cell phones, and the Motorola line of 2 way radios with ranges up to 10 miles, my question is what value (off road) do CB's have...on long highway trips, I suppose listening to truckers about smokey, diners, accidents, etc may be usefull...

There are many areas where cell phone coverage is sketchy at best and completely non-existent at worse. As for a 2 way radio, what is the benefit of those if you are more than 10 miles from "civilization"? I can see 2 ways being utilized for vehicle to vehicle communication, but I think you'll see CB radio utilized not just for that reason but also for communication back to a base camp as well as the emergency station.

Also keep in mind that not all people who have a CB in their Jeep (or any vehicle) strictly use their vehicle for a quick off road trip. Expeditions can get a much wider range with a 10' whip and a CB than a cell phone with no coverage.

I'm sure others can chime in with more valid points, but those are just a few of my opinions/observations on this topic.

Bigjerm
07-01-2008, 06:26 AM
we use CB's because when you have 10-15 rigs on a day or weekend trip at an offroad park everyone can talk and hear each other all over the park even if we split up in groups. From my dealing with 2-ways, not all 2-ways work together. All CB's work together.

Dustoff '68
07-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Good points....answered my question.

Bigjerm
07-01-2008, 06:55 AM
and you can get CB's pretty cheap. I got a Midland CB for $30, antenna mount and wire for $15 and antenna for $15. My range is almost 5 miles with the current set up so not to shabby for $60. I dont really use it on road trips though, just trails or when I hit major traffic on the highway.

notarubicon
07-01-2008, 07:04 AM
where can i get a antenna mount for my jk

BigO
07-01-2008, 07:47 AM

Were you looking for something other than what you found here...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2334&highlight=antenna+mount

Bigjerm
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
i just got the mount of Amazon.com. It is really for a mirror on a big rig but if you use just the mount part and not the plate you can drill out the hole to fit the bolts on the tire carrier.

Dustoff '68
07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
In my continued search of keeping things simple in regards to all things Jeep and associated accessories, I purchased a pair of Motorola T9500 2 way radios with up to 25 mile range...no fuss, no antennas to locate and/or contantly tune...no tether/umbilical cord...I can take them with me...sent my wife with one to the local supermarket 3.15 miles away in this crowded city of Norfolk, and was surprised at the crystal clear reception/speakers of the unit...I'm sure CB's have their place, but none of the CB's I had in the 80's ever came close to this kind of reception in an urban center...can't wait to try these out in the Outer Banks this weekend.

MarcM
07-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I hope that the 2 ways work out well for you, Dustoff. I got the CB for big group runs and to fart around with on trips. In addition to the 40 channels, there are also 10 weather channels, if you dont already have them on your dash radio.

I installed my Cooltech antenna mount today. I am a total mechanical retard, and I managed to install it without fu*king up my Jeep. Quality stuff. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up my mount from the manufacturer himself. The owner/designer Kendall was very gracious and gave me a few tips for the installation that were very helpful. I am 100% satisfied. In fact, my confidence was boosted enough today that I am going to attempt installing the CB tomorrow.

John L
07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
In my continued search of keeping things simple in regards to all things Jeep and associated accessories, I purchased a pair of Motorola T9500 2 way radios with up to 25 mile range...no fuss, no antennas to locate and/or contantly tune...no tether/umbilical cord...I can take them with me...sent my wife with one to the local supermarket 3.15 miles away in this crowded city of Norfolk, and was surprised at the crystal clear reception/speakers of the unit...I'm sure CB's have their place, but none of the CB's I had in the 80's ever came close to this kind of reception in an urban center...can't wait to try these out in the Outer Banks this weekend.

Most everyone on the trail uses CB's, it's kinda a staple. With a 2 way you'd be talking to yourself. I get 20 miles range in town with my tuned CB and 3' fiberglass antenna.

rubirobv
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm interested in a cb for trail use. How do I choose between all the different models? What features are necessary and how do I match an antenna? And is it true that the antenna cable has to be routed a certain way to maximize signal strentgh?

MichaelW
07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm interested in a cb for trail use. How do I choose between all the different models? What features are necessary and how do I match an antenna? And is it true that the antenna cable has to be routed a certain way to maximize signal strentgh?Pretty much all CB's run the same anymore and mostly there is little difference between one or the other. You can get optimized radios for 10 bucks or so more than the stock unit. This type of radio has been gone over to maximize it's output and such. It is worth it just so you know the radio is actually working.

4o channels with weather is about all you need. More than that are luxuries that don't normally impact the operation of a CB. A signal strength/SWR meter built in is a good gadget but not required.

Matching is not that hard. Just find someone that has a SWR meter already and away you go. If not take it down to the local truck stop as most have a radio guy that will tune your system for a few bucks.

Which brings us to an important choice, antenna. I'd recommend a TUNABLE fiberglass antenna of 4-5 feet. Firestik is well known and generally pretty good. Steel antennas are tuned by cutting off little pieces of the antenna. This works but there is no recourse if you cut too much.

Routing the cable will not improve signal strenth. Good cable is better than poor cable as cable can "leak" your signal out robbing you of overall performance. Poorly routing the cable will also rob you of performance. Knots, twists, folds and tight bends generally break the cable or make it wear out sooner. Route the cable so that it is not stepped on, kinked or has doors shut on it all the time and you will be ok.

Buy pre-cut CB cable. This is already lenght optimized for the signal from a CB.

I use the Cobra 75. It is small and the box part can be installed many places in the space challenged JK.

http://www.claysradioshop.com/images/Cobra/75%20wxst%20med.jpg (http://www.claysradioshop.com/cobra75wxst.htm)

The guys in the link will also tune your radio if you want.

Generally speaking a CB will have a range of line of sight and 5 miles is generally considered "normal" for a CB in most conditions. However from the top of Golden Spike in Moab, I was easily talking to people in town. But I did have quite the view from where I was.

CB works off of AM and the newer walkie-talkies use FM. Generally speaking in a watt for watt comparison FM has better signal for the distances but AM has greater range. The difference is almost like analog verses digital.

And yes people still sell power amps for CB's however for our use we are usually only talking a mile or so.

Don't buy a 102" steel whip as they are not apporved in many off road parks and several clubs won't allow them as it is indeed a whip.

If you are wanting a radio for emergency use at great distances then get your ham radio license and use a 100 watt radio system that will get out for sure. ;)

rubirobv
07-06-2008, 02:12 PM
As usual, thanks Michael. You answered all my questions. I appreciate the help. :):beer::beer:

Dustoff '68
07-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Most everyone on the trail uses CB's, it's kinda a staple. With a 2 way you'd be talking to yourself. I get 20 miles range in town with my tuned CB and 3' fiberglass antenna.

That is true...especially if you're the only one with a 2 way...I suppose my question is, if everyone had a 2 way, say same model, and used that instead of a CB on runs, would it not be an easier and more user friendly option since there is no install and fine tuning of antennas involved?

MichaelW
07-07-2008, 07:38 AM
That is true...especially if you're the only one with a 2 way...I suppose my question is, if everyone had a 2 way, say same model, and used that instead of a CB on runs, would it not be an easier and more user friendly option since there is no install and fine tuning of antennas involved?Yes and true on most points but my only caveat would be that the handheld units have their own set of drawbacks. But that could be over come if you have a place to mount it to keep it handy as they tend to fall between seats and such. The other point is that a mounted radio (any kind) is generally louder or can be made louder than a handheld.

Having said that, it is nice if on certain occasions a spotter has a hand held unit to spot the driver as some obstacles it is impossible to actually see the spotter from the drivers point of view. However those cases are more the exception than the rule.

As always run what you brung and if everyone is FM then excellent or if everyone is AM then do it.

I have AM mounted in the Jeep and usually have some Motorola FM units somewhere. ;)

John L
07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
The group I run with have cb's mounted in their rigs. We all also have handheld FRS radios for spotting and such. Works out pretty good.

TEEJ
01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
I find for rig to rig/trail use...the hand held CB's that look like walkie talkies, such as the Cobra's, etc...work great.

No tuning, good enough range for a convoy, and you can talk to the entire group. I also have the exact same CB as Michael...and, I have a set of FRS radios I keep in the glove box for newbies who show up incommunicado.

Generally, the FRS work great, and, if you agree on frequency and sub-frequency, etc...they CAN all talk to each other, not just the OTHER one that came in the pack, etc.

Historically, off roaders use CB's...so, its traditional. The FRS radios that advertise a 25 mile range, or a 5 mile range, etc...base that upon optimum conditions, no obstructions, etc...unlikely in wooded mountainous terrain, etc.

So - Really FRS radios WOULD work, but, unless the guys with CB's abandon them...the FRS radio guys would only be able to talk to each other.

Its a bit analogous to the movie rental media wars...one format might be technologically superior, but, without compatibility, its worthless.

Add the ON ROAD, or non-trail range of the CB in real world conditions, and, it beats the FRS most times.

As for the antenna que - you want to avoid coiling the antenna cable...it will typically be 18' long, longer than the route through the jeep...but, if you coil the excess, as you would with an extension cord, etc...it will reduce efficiency.

Tuning the antenna is simply making the length of the cable and antenna as EXACT as possible relative to a multiple of the wave length of the signal.

For example, If its ABOUT a 1/4 wave in length, as opposed to BEING 1/4 wave, it might fry the radio...a fraction of an inch makes a BIG difference.

The Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) tells you how close you are to the right antenna length (Or to a ground plane or coax deficiency, etc...)....too high a ratio essentially means you are wasting power, and a ratio over 4:1 for example is into radio fry time. 1.5:1 is typically about as good as it gets on a field rig...with 2:1 being "close enough to be ok", and 3:1 being indicative of a problem.

As the CB uses a range, the frequencies covered means that a longer antenna within that range is going to maximize one end of the frequencies, and a shorter one will maximize performance at the other end of the frequencies.

Typically, if channel 1 has too high an SWR, the antenna is too short, if channel 40 is too high, the antenna is too tall, etc. You typically want to balance the SWR readings - so that the channel 1 and channel 40 SWR's are the same as each other.

Your performance is BEST with a smaller SWR. 1:1 would be the theoretical objective.

FRS skip all of that...but sacrifice the compatibility with the majority of the off road world.

:)

Riptyd
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I know alot of people went with the cobra palm radio. I f you are considering that you might want to check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-75-822-Channel-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR

That way when you get to base camp, you can get out of the jeep for a stretch and still be "on air" mor portable than the cobra and better features. I have been a big fan of Midland since my dad was biig into CB's in the 70's and 80's Just a solid built product.

Riptyd

bodybrdng
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I got the same one for about $30 cheaper. Look around before you buy.

homesickmarine
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I like to yell at my buddy on the PA. Other than that the wife wanted one so whatever.

Grant211
01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
GOOD THREAD! I haven't got one yet

jacktuttle
01-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Well You could get a BodyAmor4x4 Rear Bumper and it would come with a Cb Mount....... :laughing:

dickyB
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Hand helds are usually battery powered, thus can die while out on a ride. The point of a cb on a trail ride is to make sure you know whats going on around you. If you have a handheld radio and it dies, then youre out of luck. I have the cobra 75 wx st and you can unplug it and put it in your console or take it inside if you dont want it taking up your extra space.

jacktuttle
01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I carry both a CD and an FRS. That way I'm covered either way the group is going. The CB has the advantage of not needing batteries. The FRS has the advantage of being hand held and you can take it with you when out spotting an such. I do not like the real long range radio's because I only want to hear the people in my group. I don't want to talk to people on the east coast or hear every one in a 50 mile radius around me when I'm wheeling. I just want the group I'm with. I also find that it is very hard to have both radio's on at the same time as you never know which one to answer on.

jacktuttle
01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Hand helds are usually battery powered, thus can die while out on a ride. The point of a cb on a trail ride is to make sure you know whats going on around you. If you have a handheld radio and it dies, then you're out of luck. I have the cobra 75 wx st and you can unplug it and put it in your console or take it inside if you don't want it taking up your extra space.

On the other hand, it is not that hard to carry a spare pack of batteries for the FRS. Also it never gets the antenna taken off on a low branch.....:shaking: