Battle for Pismo Dunes heats up. [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Battle for Pismo Dunes heats up.

sewerdigger
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
The latest in the battle for our land use rights are heating up here on the central coast. :shaking:

Monday, Feb. 22, 2010

Oceano Dunes air pollution study released
By David Sneed | dsneed@thetribunenews.com

Destabilization of sand dunes at the Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area is the primary cause of high particulate air pollution on the Nipomo Mesa, according to a scientific study released Monday.

The study by the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District concluded that break-up by off-highway vehicles of a natural crust that forms on sand dunes and a lack of vegetative cover in areas where OHVs are ridden are the primary causes of dust being blown from the park to populated areas of the Mesa.

“All of these act to increase the ability of winds to entrain sand particles from the dunes and carry them to the Mesa,” the report concluded.

The study further concluded that exhaust emissions from OHVs and the fact that they can kick sand into the air are only lesser causes of the air pollution.

The study confirms public announcements made recently by Air Pollution Control Officer Larry Allen about the results of the study. “OHV activity in the SVRA is a major contributing factor to high PM (particulate matter) concentrations observed on the Mesa,” states the study’s executive summary.

The report does not contain any recommendation about how the problem can be minimized. The air pollution control district board of directors may begin discussing that when it meets March 24 to be briefed on the study.

In the meantime, a public workshop is scheduled from 6 to 9 p.m., March 3 at the South County Regional Center, 800 W. Branch St., Arroyo Grande. The results of the study will be presented and a panel of experts will be available to answer questions.

The study is based on air monitoring conducted over a year that compared ambient particulate levels to levels of particulates coming off the OHV park. More than two million data points were generated.

The main conclusions are:

· Particulate matter on the Mesa does not originate from an offshore source.

· Neither petroleum coke piles at the ConcoPhillips refinery nor agricultural fields are a significant source of particulates.

· The bulk of the particulate matter is fine sand blown onto the Mesa by strong winds.

· The primary source of these sand particles is the open sand areas of the dunes.

· Open sand dunes where OHVs are ridden “emit significantly greater amounts of particulates than the undisturbed sand sheets at the study control sites under the same wind conditions.”

· Vegetative areas do not emit wind-blown particles.

The study can be obtained at the air district’s Web site: http://www.slocleanair.org

I will do my best to attend the discussion on Wednesday the 3rd. I am not an avid user of the dunes, but I do beleive I need to join the battle. Hope to see some of you there.

If anybody has some thoughts on the matter, pipe up. I could use the help.

Todd

STUPIDFACE
02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Ive never been on any sand dunes, but is it true, as stated in this study, that a crust that pervents the wind from blowing the sand forms on the dunes? For the most part, this sounds like a buncha bullshit to me. Just another attempt at tree huggers trying to shut down wheelin'.

corey d

ibjammin
04-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Oh this is all political BS they blame the off roaders for everything it's simple the wind picks up the sand and dust blows! Pismo use to be great till they fenced it off in the mid 80's? what was it I think they called it the slide past the second wash?

If they say vehicle traffic is the cause then how come just about every costal city with a large public beach can use the large machines that sift the sand and clean it? They are comparing apples to oranges sure the nature presserve would have less particulates nobody goes there!!! it's like comparing LA smog to to a little town in BFE!!!!!

desert dog
04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh this is all political BS they blame the off roaders for everything it's simple the wind picks up the sand and dust blows! Pismo use to be great till they fenced it off in the mid 80's? what was it I think they called it the slide past the second wash?

If they say vehicle traffic is the cause then how come just about every costal city with a large public beach can use the large machines that sift the sand and clean it? They are comparing apples to oranges sure the nature presserve would have less particulates nobody goes there!!! it's like comparing LA smog to to a little town in BFE!!!!!

Whats funny, is that the local population doesn't want a closure. Even though many of the locals are tree-huggin, code-pink, commie bastards, they understand that the towns livelihood is those dunes.

RODICON
04-14-2010, 09:01 PM
They need to Keep it open.

JKjoe2009
04-17-2010, 02:04 PM
WOW, i grew up in a town not far from there! I can't believe they would say that about the dunes!? I remember going there as a kid with my Uncle. This isn't right at all

ca starman
04-17-2010, 04:06 PM
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE DONT COME HERE I SAY lived here all my life love it if closed it will end up just like a little town to the south of us (guadalupe) is no more than a dust pit from all the sand blowing in from the dunes to the reason is WE LIVE IN A VERY BLUSTERY AREA county wind loads went up so even the best of crust on the dunes will not last and hold down the dust. the snowy plover will help with that. crack the crust i say. its been 100 yrs people have enjoyed this place so back off i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!