Stock tire carrier weight capcity [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Stock tire carrier weight capcity

jgrogan
06-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Does anyone know what the ACTUAL weight capacity is for the stock JK spare tire carrier? I'm thinking of mounting a small tool box directly to the spare tire.

tgrt
06-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Officially, it's pretty low, 59 pounds I believe. The stock tire and wheel is around 50 pounds. In reality it'll hold more. I have my 35" and steel wheel on it now, and the amount of weight makes me nervous.

PhilD
06-24-2008, 08:35 AM
In reality it'll hold more.X2 I know people with 37's on it, but I'm not sure how long I'd personally want to keep that much on the tailgate.

YmansJK
06-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Please don't put anything bigger than a 33 on it. 35 if you have the bracket otherwise when you drop off of ledges, It will catch and tweak the entire tailgate. Happened already to a friend of mine with a 35 out back. Now he needs a new tailgate. That ****tybilt bracket works pretty good for a temporary fix.

tgrt
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Teraflex makes a really nice bracket for $29.99. That is what I'm using with my 35" until Shrockworks comes up with their tire carrier.

venom
07-09-2008, 07:26 PM
or you can carve the plastic rear bumper to clear a 35 and not spend the $$ on the bracket extension.
a few reasons I went that route, #1 thats $40 ($30 + shipping) I can put towards buying a real bumper and at that point the spacer is useless, #2 I think tucking the tire up against the gate gives it less leverage to twist the tailgate

Oh yeah, and my stock crap plastic bumper was already mangled at Katemcy by a granite wall so no harm in trying it :thefinger:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2278&highlight=spare+bracket
definitely watch the ledges tho, it does hang out